User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 63

Thread: If Speed Limits Are Abolished Then How Can Anyone Be Accused Of Driving Too Fast?

  1. #46
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    20,256
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 7,780 Times in 4,504 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147823
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post


    Simple English too much for you?
    Yeah. That's what makes my doctorate so darn impressive.


    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    No, but it's obviously too much for you if you see logical fallacies where there aren't any and especially after a direct quote. If you wanna act like a dope and some stupid kid can you go blog your daft smileys somewhere else?
    He seems to have a real jones for my attention. Nothing new. And nothing much.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (November 9th, 2018)

  3. #47
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    17,374
    Thanks
    323
    Thanked 10,634 Times in 7,750 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147826
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Yeah. That's what makes my doctorate so darn impressive. He seems to have a real jones for my attention. Nothing new. And nothing much.


    "Don't flatter yourself."
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (November 9th, 2018)

  5. #48
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20,814
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked 5,838 Times in 4,263 Posts

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147731
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    This kinda covers that and Germany certainly hasn't done away with speed limits overall as some advocate on here.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_Germany

    it answers your op

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (November 9th, 2018)

  7. #49
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20,814
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked 5,838 Times in 4,263 Posts

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147731
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonahdog View Post
    Ooops, OK is correct.





  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (November 9th, 2018)

  9. #50
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    20,256
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 7,780 Times in 4,504 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147823
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Hardly, there's much more relaxed speed limits in places that have long open stretches of road such as Montana, Australia etc that makes sense. A lot of them are in unpopulated areas with no congestion of traffic. You support the abolishing of speed limits everywhere including heavily populated urban areas.
    The article I linked to made sense on the point. But it would be a bad idea to abolish speed limits anywhere for the same reason the engineer noted.

    EDIT: Shoot, didn't link, referenced. If I can find it again I'll post a link later.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (November 9th, 2018)

  11. #51
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    17,374
    Thanks
    323
    Thanked 10,634 Times in 7,750 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147826
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    See what I mean?
    Gee, this dude can't resist, can he?

    He must reply to me.

    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    ok doser (November 9th, 2018)

  13. #52
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20,814
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked 5,838 Times in 4,263 Posts

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147731
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Hardly, there's much more relaxed speed limits in places that have long open stretches of road such as Montana, Australia etc that makes sense. A lot of them are in unpopulated areas with no congestion of traffic. You support the abolishing of speed limits everywhere including heavily populated urban areas.
    are you deflecting away from your dopey OP and thread title?

  14. #53
    Gold level Subscriber JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    7,429
    Thanks
    24,134
    Thanked 6,829 Times in 4,290 Posts

    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147603
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Hardly, there's much more relaxed speed limits in places that have long open stretches of road such as Montana,
    The highest speed limit in America is 85mph.

    There is only one highway in the US that has that speed limit. The TX-130, which is 130.6 miles long.

    Half of TX-130 is owned by the government, and the other half is privately owned. The entire road is a toll road. Guess which portion of it 85?

    The longest straightest stretch of highway in the US is North Dakota highway 46. It's 123 miles long.

    Guess what the speed limit is.

    65mph.

    So, a shorter, straighter stretch of highway is regulated slower than a longer, curvier stretch.

    Granted, they're different types of highways.

    But one is straight and the other is curved, yet the straight one has a speed limit 20mph lower than the other.



    Australia
    I don't live in Australia. I live in the USA.

    etc


    that makes sense. A lot of them are in unpopulated areas with no congestion of traffic. You support the abolishing of speed limits everywhere including heavily populated urban areas.
    I support more than that, but you continue to refuse to consider my whole argument, and instead make straw man arguments against half of it.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

    ok doser (November 9th, 2018)

  16. #54
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20,814
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked 5,838 Times in 4,263 Posts

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147731
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    ... you continue to refuse to consider my whole argument, and instead make straw man arguments against half of it.

    it's his MO

    that and emotion and abuse


    and he doesn't even make a coherent straw man - witness the easily refuted OP

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (November 9th, 2018)

  18. #55
    Gold level Subscriber JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    7,429
    Thanks
    24,134
    Thanked 6,829 Times in 4,290 Posts

    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147603
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    The article I linked to made sense on the point. But it would be a bad idea to abolish speed limits anywhere for the same reason the engineer noted.

    EDIT: Shoot, didn't link, referenced. If I can find it again I'll post a link later.
    Here's how to solve this issue you think is a problem for my argument.

    Build better roads capable of handling higher traffic speeds.



    Oh wait, I already addressed this by limiting the government to two responsibilities, infrastructure, and criminal justice (both foreign and domestic), and cutting out all the rest of the unnecessary "nanny state" stuff.



    So, really, there's three parts to my argument that solve your personal problems with getting rid of speed limits.

    Get rid of speed limits, impose harsher punishments for damaging property, causing injury, and/or deadly negligence, and building better roads.

    All very doable if the Government's only focus is infrastructure and criminal justice.

    It's not doable with our current government.

    Oh, and by the way, I finally figured out how many judges there would be for our nation (assuming 120,000,000 households).

    15,734,534 judges. From the two up under the king, down to the the judges of ten households at the bottom of the tree.

    Compare that with the measly 3294 judges we currently have here in America...

    ... It's no wonder our docket list is so long...

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

    ok doser (November 9th, 2018)

  20. #56
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    20,256
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 7,780 Times in 4,504 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147823
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    Here's how to solve this issue you think is a problem for my argument.
    Hey, JR. I don't know your argument. I really only stopped in to answer a question AB asked.

    Build better roads capable of handling higher traffic speeds.
    That would certainly help, but if you're advocating for no speed limits you're making a mistake.

    So, really, there's three parts to my argument that solve your personal problems with getting rid of speed limits.
    Again, haven't read your argument, but I can see it's about getting rid of speed limits and, again, I think that's a mistake. It's not a personal problem for me. Things that aren't happening and aren't likely to don't give rise to a particular angst or alarm in me.

    Get rid of speed limits, impose harsher punishments for damaging property, causing injury, and/or deadly negligence, and building better roads.
    Absent evidence that eliminating speed limits would make us safer there's no pragmatic argument for doing it.

    All very doable if the Government's only focus is infrastructure and criminal justice.
    Which I'd argue is another mistake, but everyone is entitled to their own idea of a perfect government so I'm not going to argue the point with you.

    It's not doable with our current government.
    Right.

    I'm not going into the justice system arguments again. I've set out the empirical argument for the efficacy of ours. Absent something new on the point we've been there and done that to death.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  21. #57
    TOL Legend Arthur Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    14,809
    Thanks
    8,990
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 4,708 Posts

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147749
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    The highest speed limit in America is 85mph.

    There is only one highway in the US that has that speed limit. The TX-130, which is 130.6 miles long.

    Half of TX-130 is owned by the government, and the other half is privately owned. The entire road is a toll road. Guess which portion of it 85?

    The longest straightest stretch of highway in the US is North Dakota highway 46. It's 123 miles long.

    Guess what the speed limit is.

    65mph.

    So, a shorter, straighter stretch of highway is regulated slower than a longer, curvier stretch.

    Granted, they're different types of highways.

    But one is straight and the other is curved, yet the straight one has a speed limit 20mph lower than the other.

    Speed limits aren't solely based on the length or straightness, curvature of the road. If both roads are of similar ilk then I'll grant you it's a bit odd that the curved one has a speed limit 20mph slower than the other but I'll wager there'll be reasoning behind it. Surplus of traffic perhaps.

    I don't live in Australia. I live in the USA.
    And? I was simply using Australia to make a point.



    I support more than that, but you continue to refuse to consider my whole argument, and instead make straw man arguments against half of it.
    I've seen the rest of your "argument" and consider it fundamentally lacking. Leaving speed up to driver discretion, especially in built up urban areas is simply a recipe for disaster. For example, consider a responsible driver who doesn't drive excessively fast, say five miles above the current restrictions in residential areas, say 25mph. A child runs into the road and he does everything in his power to avoid it, slams on the brakes, swerves but it's not enough and the child sustains mortal injuries. Had the car been travelling at the current limit then the impact would have wounded the child but not killed it. You can't charge the driver with speeding as there's no limit. You can't really charge him with reckless driving as he's hardly been racing through the streets in an irresponsible manner. It's simply a tragic, fatal accident that could have been avoided by having a limit in place so everyone knows the law and drive accordingly or risk breaking it and face the consequences. The driver could then be rightfully charged with travelling over the speed limit.
    Well this is fun isn't it?


  22. #58
    TOL Legend Arthur Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    14,809
    Thanks
    8,990
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 4,708 Posts

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147749
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Gee, this dude can't resist, can he?

    He must reply to me.

    Says the guy who's just "answered" back twice with the usual spam and smiley's. Slow day today?
    Well this is fun isn't it?


  23. #59
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20,814
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked 5,838 Times in 4,263 Posts

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147731
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    ... For example, consider a responsible driver who doesn't drive excessively fast, say five miles above the current restrictions in residential areas, say 25mph. A child runs into the road and he does everything in his power to avoid it, slams on the brakes, swerves but it's not enough and the child sustains mortal injuries. Had the car been travelling at the current limit then the impact would have wounded the child but not killed it. You can't charge the driver with speeding as there's no limit. You can't really charge him with reckless driving as he's hardly been racing through the streets in an irresponsible manner.
    but you really really really want to charge the driver with something, right?
    It's simply a tragic, fatal accident that could have been avoided by having a limit....
    .... on children running into the road

    it's called parental responsibility


    otherwise, why not lower the speed limit to 20 mph and the wounds the child will sustain will be lessened even further?

    why not 10 mph?

    how much damage are you willing to allow to the child?

  24. #60
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20,814
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked 5,838 Times in 4,263 Posts

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147731
    why aren't you calling for charges of child abuse or negligence to be laid against the negligent parents?

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (November 9th, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us