User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: going about to establish their own righteousness !

  1. #1
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    18,741
    Thanks
    595
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,766 Posts

    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    50999

    going about to establish their own righteousness !

    Rom 10:3

    3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

    Believe it or not, this "going about to establish their own righteousness this isn't confined to just the religious jews of Paul's time, but this is true of all of us by nature. All f us naturally feel there's a condition we must perform/do in order to be made right with God. All men by nature are self righteous and believe there's something in us to recommend us to God. Our good works, good behavior, faith, repentance, or maybe our humility, all this is seeking to establish our own righteousness from within ourselves !
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  2. #2
    Maranatha Nanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Motown
    Posts
    4,286
    Thanks
    1,585
    Thanked 744 Times in 716 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    27608
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Rom 10:3

    3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

    Believe it or not, this "going about to establish their own righteousness this isn't confined to just the religious jews of Paul's time, but this is true of all of us by nature. All f us naturally feel there's a condition we must perform/do in order to be made right with God. All men by nature are self righteous and believe there's something in us to recommend us to God. Our good works, good behavior, faith, repentance, or maybe our humility, all this is seeking to establish our own righteousness from within ourselves !

    Exactly Brother, all religious deeds men perform in their futile attempt to become righteous before God are in actuality nothing but evil.


    John 3:19-20

    19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

    20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.


    The only possibility of a person having his evil religious deeds exposed for what they are, is a Supernatural Work of the Holy Spirit in New Birth !
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nanja For Your Post:

    beloved57 (November 8th, 2018)

  4. #3
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    18,741
    Thanks
    595
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,766 Posts

    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    50999
    nanja

    Exactly Brother, all religious deeds men perform in their futile attempt to become righteous before God are in actuality nothing but evil.


    John 3:19-20

    19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
    Exactly, man by nature cant understand how good and sincere religious behavior is evil deeds

    The only possibility of a person having his evil religious deeds exposed for what they are, is a Supernatural Work of the Holy Spirit in New Birth !
    Correct Jn 16:8-9

    8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world[of the elect] of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

    9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

    That word reprove here done by the Spirit is the same word used in Jn 3:19-20


    19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

    20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

    And its the same word Jesus uses here for those He Loves and chastens Rev 3:19

    As many as I love, I rebuke G1651 and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  5. #4
    Maranatha Nanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Motown
    Posts
    4,286
    Thanks
    1,585
    Thanked 744 Times in 716 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    27608
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    nanja



    Exactly, man by nature cant understand how good and sincere religious behavior is evil deeds



    Correct Jn 16:8-9

    8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world[of the elect] of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

    9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

    That word reprove here done by the Spirit is the same word used in Jn 3:19-20


    19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

    20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

    And its the same word Jesus uses here for those He Loves and chastens Rev 3:19

    As many as I love, I rebuke G1651 and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

    TY and Amen Brother !
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nanja For Your Post:

    beloved57 (November 9th, 2018)

  7. #5
    Over 500 post club
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 114 Times in 88 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12242
    Greetings beloved57,
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Rom 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

    Believe it or not, this "going about to establish their own righteousness this isn't confined to just the religious jews of Paul's time, but this is true of all of us by nature. All f us naturally feel there's a condition we must perform/do in order to be made right with God. All men by nature are self righteous and believe there's something in us to recommend us to God. Our good works, good behavior, faith, repentance, or maybe our humility, all this is seeking to establish our own righteousness from within ourselves !
    Justification is by faith and this affectionate faith is a response generated within those who have honest and good hearts Luke 8:15 when the One Gospel of the Kingdom and Name is preached Acts 8:5-6,12 and the fruit of this faith is baptism and living the crucified and resurrected life motivated by the love revealed in and through Jesus Galatians 2:20. Calvinism is not the gospel.

    Kind regards
    Trevor

  8. #6
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    18,741
    Thanks
    595
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,766 Posts

    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    50999
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorL View Post
    Greetings beloved57, Justification is by faith and this affectionate faith is a response generated within those who have honest and good hearts Luke 8:15 when the One Gospel of the Kingdom and Name is preached Acts 8:5-6,12 and the fruit of this faith is baptism and living the crucified and resurrected life motivated by the love revealed in and through Jesus Galatians 2:20. Calvinism is not the gospel.

    Kind regards
    Trevor
    Did you read my points you quoted?
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  9. #7
    . Eeset's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8,247
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 676 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1619731
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Did you read my points you quoted?
    That's asking a bit much.

  10. #8
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    18,741
    Thanks
    595
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,766 Posts

    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    50999
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeset View Post
    That's asking a bit much.
    Really ? Dont you know thats why people make threads ? For people to read them and discuss them.
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

    Nanja (November 10th, 2018)

  12. #9
    Over 500 post club
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 114 Times in 88 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12242
    Greetings again beloved57,
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Did you read my points you quoted?
    Yes, and I consider that what you have stated in your OP and the posts since then are inadequate. My post was an initial answer to your claims, including your unusual statement regarding Calvinism. Are you endorsing Spurgeon's false statement? Paul introduces the One Gospel in Romans 1:1-4 and also Romans 1:16-17 is the theme of his letter. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation. This is far removed from your OP and Calvinism. Did you agree with my previous post, and if not why not?

    Kind regards
    Trevor

  13. #10
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    18,741
    Thanks
    595
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,766 Posts

    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    50999
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorL View Post
    Greetings again beloved57,Yes, and I consider that what you have stated in your OP and the posts since then are inadequate. My post was an initial answer to your claims, including your unusual statement regarding Calvinism. Are you endorsing Spurgeon's false statement? Paul introduces the One Gospel in Romans 1:1-4 and also Romans 1:16-17 is the theme of his letter. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation. This is far removed from your OP and Calvinism. Did you agree with my previous post, and if not why not?

    Kind regards
    Trevor
    What did you consider in my Op ? Name the points please.
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  14. #11
    Over 500 post club
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 114 Times in 88 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12242
    Greetings again beloved57,
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    What did you consider in my Op ? Name the points please.
    My main objection when reading your OP is the label at the bottom claiming that Calvinism is the Gospel, but also you speak against faith, repentance and humility. Faith comes from hearing the Gospel, not hearing or adopting Calvinism, this faith brings about a humbling of the individual and repentance and baptism and living the crucified and resurrected life. The process is from God, initiated by God, not man. The Gospel, not Calvinism is the power of God unto salvation.

    Kind regards
    Trevor

  15. #12
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    18,741
    Thanks
    595
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,766 Posts

    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    50999
    trevor

    you speak against faith, repentance and humility.
    False accusation !
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  16. #13
    Over 500 post club
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 114 Times in 88 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12242
    Greetings again beloved57,
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    False accusation !
    Fair enough, I could have made a wrong assessment. My impression of some aspects of your posts and in Calvinism in general, is that Calvinism takes a different approach to what I have stated concerning the preaching of the One Gospel of the Kingdom and the Name to both Jews and Gentiles throughout all of the Book of Acts, the affectionate response in faith, the fruit of this being baptism Acts 8:5-6, 12 and the crucified and resurrected life motivated by the love of Christ Galatians 2:20.

    Kind regards
    Trevor

  17. #14
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    18,741
    Thanks
    595
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,766 Posts

    Blog Entries
    14
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    50999
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorL View Post
    Greetings again beloved57,Fair enough, I could have made a wrong assessment. My impression of some aspects of your posts and in Calvinism in general, is that Calvinism takes a different approach to what I have stated concerning the preaching of the One Gospel of the Kingdom and the Name to both Jews and Gentiles throughout all of the Book of Acts, the affectionate response in faith, the fruit of this being baptism Acts 8:5-6, 12 and the crucified and resurrected life motivated by the love of Christ Galatians 2:20.

    Kind regards
    Trevor
    You are evading the OP and purpose for this thread, and starting a rabbit trail
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  18. #15
    Over 500 post club
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 114 Times in 88 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12242
    Greetings again beloved57,
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    You are evading the OP and purpose for this thread, and starting a rabbit trail
    You are trying to establish Calvinism as a substitute for the One Gospel.

    Kind regards
    Trevor

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us