Thread: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Old Timer
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorL View Post
    Greetings xfr,It seems that Philip preached a different message to what you preach:
    Acts 8:5-6,12 (KJV): 5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. 6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Kind regards
    Trevor
    Philip preached the Gospel of the Kingdom. Paul preached the gospel of grace. You only find grace in Paul's writings. The last I checked Acts was written by Luke.

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings again xfr,
    Quote Originally Posted by xfrodobagginsx View Post
    Philip preached the Gospel of the Kingdom. Paul preached the gospel of grace. You only find grace in Paul's writings. The last I checked Acts was written by Luke.
    Yes I agree that The Acts was written by Luke. He records details of what Peter preached in Acts 2, Acts 3 and Acts 10 and these records are most probably a summary of what he said. Luke also records that Philip preached the Gospel to the Samaritans but we do not have details of what he said, but Luke summarises Philip’s preaching in the following:
    Acts 8:5–6,12 (KJV): 5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. 6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
    Now you say that “Philip preached the Gospel of the Kingdom”, but Luke states that the Gospel that Philip was “preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ”. We also have a few details of Philip’s preaching to the Ethiopian Eunuch and they discussed Isaiah 53 which speaks of the suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus.

You say that “Paul preached the gospel of grace”, but the following are two examples of what Paul preached:
    Acts 19:8 (KJV): And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.
    Acts 20:24–25 (KJV): 24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God. 25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.

Luke does not seem to distinguish between the gospel of the kingdom and the gospel of grace in the above references, but uses the two terms interchangeably.

Also Luke records when Paul preached the Gospel to Jews and Gentiles in Rome:
    Acts 28:23–31 (KJV): 23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening. 30 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, 31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.
    Luke uses the same terms for the preaching of Paul here, as he used for the preaching by Philip to the Samaritans. Thus your distinction is not maintained by Luke. There is only one Gospel, “the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ” preached by Peter, Philip and Paul.

Kind regards
    Trevor

Thread Information