User Tag List

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 572

Thread: All Things Second Amendment

  1. #76
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    21,152
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,477 Times in 4,950 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147843
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post


    You're the one with the problem.
    I didn't say you had a problem.

    I laughed at your one word answer to a block quote.

    I've heard of hearing things, but reading things?

    The hard of reading.

    Running around with loaded numbers like that is only going to get you hurt.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; July 12th, 2019 at 02:34 AM.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  2. #77
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,490
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 13,620 Times in 9,449 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147858
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    I didn't say you had a problem.
    Is reading your second language? I am not the one abusing statistics and refusing guidance. Nobody has made any such claim.

    I laughed at your one word answer to a block quote.
    I know.

    I've heard of hearing things, but reading things?
    You should start with responding to what people say, not making things up to argue against.

    Suit yourself.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  3. #78
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    21,152
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,477 Times in 4,950 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147843
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Is reading your second language?
    King of the internal non sequitur.

    Here's why I just get tickled with you:
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Of course this isn't about banning guns, but about banning those singularly distinguished by their ability to kill a great many people in a very small window of time. Everywhere that's done people are safer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    When you ban cars, the roads are safer.
    But when I write: When you ban assault rifles and the aids I'm speaking to, everyone is safer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Nope.
    That's funny.

    I am not the one abusing statistics and refusing guidance.
    Who said you were?

    Nobody has made any such claim.
    You're the only one making any sort of claim along those lines about anyone.

    I know.
    Then let no man say you can't be taught anything.

    You should start with responding to what people say, not making things up to argue against.
    Seriously, you have to stop. Or I'm going to have to make sure I'm not drinking coffee when I read you.

    Suit yourself.
    That's the new motto at Men's Wearhouse.
    Last edited by Town Heretic; July 12th, 2019 at 07:42 AM.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    The Barbarian (July 13th, 2019)

  5. #79
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,490
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 13,620 Times in 9,449 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147858
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post

    Kingoftheinternalnonsequitur.
    Here'swhyIjustgettickledwith
    you:ButwhenIwrite:Whenyouban
    assaultriflesandtheaidsI'msp
    eakingto,everyoneissafer...T
    hat'sfunny.Whosaidyouwere?Yo
    u'retheonlyonemakinganysorto
    fclaimalongthoselinesaboutan
    yone.:AMR:Thenletnomansayyou
    can'tbetaughtanthing.:thumb
    ::rotfl:Seriously,youhaveto
    stop.OrI'mgoingtohavetomake
    sureI'mnotdrinkingcofeewhen
    Ireadyou.That'sthenewmottoa
    tMen'sWearhouse.
    Great.

    Meanwhile, you have no idea how to respect an opposing view, let alone simple statistics.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  6. #80
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    21,152
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,477 Times in 4,950 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147843
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Great.
    Thanks!

    Meanwhile, you have no idea how to respect an opposing view,
    I'm a moderator at another forum. When an opening came up there I nominated fool for the slot. His view on God is fundamentally opposed to my own. We can't agree on the point, but I respect his character and the quality of his thinking, even so.

    let alone simple statistics.
    I would agree that you have an uncommon grasp of simple statistics. True, I don't mean it as you would, but that's life for you.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  7. #81
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,490
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 13,620 Times in 9,449 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147858
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    I'm a moderator at another forum. When an opening came up there I nominated fool for the slot. His view on God is fundamentally opposed to my own. We can't agree on the point, but I respect his character and the quality of his thinking, even so.
    Blatant equivocation. It is irrelevant how you treat fellow human beings. The issue is that when presented with an opposing idea, you do not engage with it, preferring long-winded discussions over who said what and when, while weaving your assumptions into the discourse as if they were to be accepted without question.

    For example, you've been told plenty of times that "respect" has numerous definitions and which one I use in situations like this, but you ignore that and start spouting about an irrelevancy using language that shows you have spent no time considering my opinion.

    I would agree that you have an uncommon grasp of simple statistics.
    But you won't present specifics.

    Meanwhile, you have had specific errors you have made pointed out numerous times by multiple people.

    Also meanwhile, a potentially useful conversation gets buried.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Yorzhik (July 12th, 2019)

  9. #82
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    21,152
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,477 Times in 4,950 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147843
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Blatant equivocation.
    Gesundheit.

    It is irrelevant how you treat fellow human beings.
    That's a declaration wanting an argument. Here's a rebuttal with one. Not if you're demonstrating respect for people holding contrary positions. I don't know how it is in your country, or Canada, unless you're Canadian, but in mine if we're ill mannered in relation to and short on considering someone's point, we don't tend to form friendships apart from that effort. So respect between people tends to support the understanding that the people involved feel they are met respectfully, and given that meeting in a forum setting is entirely rhetorical, argumentative, and conversational, it makes a fairly solid case that your assumption, declared as more, is in fact a pile of horse hockey.

    The issue is that when presented with an opposing idea, you do not engage with it
    No, that wasn't your most immediate complaint. What you actually wrote and I quoted directly was, "Meanwhile, you have no idea how to respect an opposing view." I've noted that isn't the case at all in my remarks above. And I noted both the popular and less popular usage above.

    I weighted my remarks to the notion of regard because it was the only use that had anything like legs. The very post you block quoted that I proffered to another poster, the one you met with "Nope" was prima facie rebuttal to any attempt to use the idea of respect as consideration.

    preferring long-winded discussions over who said what and when, while weaving your assumptions into the discourse as if they were to be accepted without question
    That sentence could have been much shorter and less assumptive, supra.

    But you won't present specifics.
    All evidence to the contrary, as a perusal of my posts to people interested in actually engaging the point and spending time discussing it instead of me illustrates.

    Meanwhile, you have had specific errors you have made pointed out numerous times by multiple people.
    Not that you've quoted in support. I suspect you'll conflate what you assert with a lesser proffer, like when a couple of posters repeated the mistake made about cities and I pointed out, again, the fact that when the EC was created we were overwhelmingly agrarian and there was no reasonable or articulated fear relating to an imbalance favoring cities. That sort of thing.

    A few people without facts saying, "No," in the face of them isn't an indication of error...well, not as you focus it at any rate.

    Also meanwhile, a potentially useful conversation gets buried.
    Horsefeathers. And you don't give two figs about the conversation, which is why after I stepped around your nonsense to engage others you interjected this gem into the stream after a lengthy block quote to that other poster:

    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Nope.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  10. #83
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,490
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 13,620 Times in 9,449 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147858
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Gesundheit.
    Nope.

    That's a declaration wanting an argument.
    Nope.

    Here's a rebuttal with one.
    Nope.

    Not if you're demonstrating respect for people holding contrary positions.
    Is reading your second language? It. Is. Irrelevant. How you treat people. I'm talking about how you treat opposing ideas. For instance, I say you're equivocating over respect for people and respect for ideas and you say they can be the same thing.

    I don't know how it is in your country, or Canada, unless you're Canadian, but in mine if we're ill mannered in relation to and short on considering someone's point, we don't tend to form friendships apart from that effort. So respect between people tends to support the understanding that the people involved feel they are met respectfully, and given that meeting in a forum setting is entirely rhetorical, argumentative, and conversational, it makes a fairly solid case that your assumption, declared as more, is in fact a pile of horse hockey.
    Nope.

    I weighted my remarks to the notion of regard because it was the only use that had anything like legs. The very post you block quoted that I proffered to another poster, the one you met with "Nope" was prima facie rebuttal to any attempt to use the idea of respect as consideration.
    Nope.

    That sentence could have been much shorter and less assumptive, supra.
    Nope.

    All evidence to the contrary, as a perusal of my posts to people interested in actually engaging the point and spending time discussing it instead of me illustrates.
    This thread was about something until your thin skin made it about you.

    Not that you've quoted in support. I suspect you'll conflate what you assert with a lesser proffer, like when a couple of posters repeated the mistake made about cities and I pointed out, again, the fact that when the EC was created we were overwhelmingly agrarian and there was no reasonable or articulated fear relating to an imbalance favoring cities. That sort of thing.
    Nope.

    A few people without facts saying, "No," in the face of them isn't an indication of error...well, not as you focus it at any rate.
    Nope.

    Horsefeathers. And you don't give two figs about the conversation, which is why after I stepped around your nonsense to engage others you interjected this gem into the stream after a lengthy block quote to that other poster:
    Nope.

    I care a great deal about the conversation, which is why I've waded through your impenetrable diatribe to try and offer some clarity.

    Learn to respect the conversation and admit the shortcomings of the statistics you present.

    Pretty simple.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  11. #84
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    21,152
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,477 Times in 4,950 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147843
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.
    See, when that's all you do there's no real point in doing it. It's indistinguishable from emoting.

    It. Is. Irrelevant. How you treat people.
    It depends on which meaning of respect you use. I spoke to both esteem and to consideration in my last.

    I'm talking about how you treat opposing ideas.
    By giving them consideration or do you mean having a foundational regard for any opinion however framed? I noted the former and even spoke to the latter, on the odd chance you were going there.


    This thread was about something until your thin skin made it about you.
    Actually, the thread was created by Idolater to pull a conversation he was having with me into a separated discussion. He quoted a good bit of our earlier bit as a set up and I responded in the second post. It went along, in starts and stops, covering some pretty interesting ground.

    Then, without my having said a word to you:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    PUT THOSE STATISTICS DOWN BEFORE YOU HURT SOMEONE!!!!

    How many times does this mean moron have to be shown a complete Muppet with simple numbers before he will stop throwing them?

    ...Now, slow down. Put your Google away. Leave the stats to the grownups...
    That's your thin skin, your interruption of an actual and ongoing discussion with insult and nonsense.


    Learn to respect the conversation
    Funniest post by you so far.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Rusha (July 14th, 2019)

  13. #85
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,490
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 13,620 Times in 9,449 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147858
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    That's all you do.
    Nope.

    It depends on which meaning of respect you use. I spoke to both esteem and to consideration in my last.By giving them consideration or do you mean having a foundational regard for any opinion however framed? I noted the former and even spoke to the latter, on the odd chance you were going there.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  14. #86
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    26,375
    Thanks
    4,745
    Thanked 10,343 Times in 7,659 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147797
    meanwhile, still unanswered:



  15. #87
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,490
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 13,620 Times in 9,449 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147858
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    meanwhile, still unanswered:
    Yeah, that video picks from a single source to debunk a specific claim that is so common it's unbelievable how utterly wrong it is. Gun haters need to pull together multiple sources upon disconcordant axes to paint a picture they want. Statistics must be used wisely and kept to a minimum. Generally speaking, they are always malleable — dependent heavily on the narrative that is being shared and almost impossible to counter without great insight into how they were collected.

    This is why when there is a long post full of great statistics-based claims, it's the agenda that is accessible and debatable, not the numbers. They are almost certainly irrelevant at best.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (July 13th, 2019),ok doser (July 13th, 2019)

  17. #88
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    21,152
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,477 Times in 4,950 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147843
    Let me know, Idol, if when or if you want to get back to it.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  18. #89
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,490
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 13,620 Times in 9,449 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147858
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Let me know, Idol, if when or if you want to get back to it.


    Let us know when you're willing to engage sensibly.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  19. #90
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    10,404
    Thanks
    259
    Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,383 Posts

    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    427871
    I can mostly only hear one side of the conversation, but it's hilariously funny.
    This message is hidden because ...

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Rusha (July 14th, 2019),Town Heretic (July 13th, 2019)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us