Thread: All Things Second Amendment

Thanks
    Thanked 8,466 Times in 4,943 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

We have an obesity problem in the US. Yet no one is seriously suggesting the solution to it is access to "more food."
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sick and tired of the experiment that's been going on in this country since 1934, when the first gun control law was made ("weapons grade" gun control), where we chip off a little here and a little there, from our inalienable right to bear arms. Not only has it not worked in any way, statistically, but it is now plainly proving to be an abject disaster. End the gun control experiment. Results are in, hypothesis has been Denied. Let's just get back to obeying the supreme law: "Shall not be infringed."
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

@Nee_Nihilo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Idolater For Your Post:

Stripe (August 4th, 2019)

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,180 Times in 7,566 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Idolater View Post
    I am sick and tired of the experiment that's been going on in this country since 1934, when the first gun control law was made ("weapons grade" gun control), where we chip off a little here and a little there, from our inalienable right to bear arms. Not only has it not worked in any way, statistically, but it is now plainly proving to be an abject disaster. End the gun control experiment. Results are in, hypothesis has been Denied. Let's just get back to obeying the supreme law: "Shall not be infringed."
    But if the government can argue that it has a compelling interest to infringe upon our right to bear arms, the sheeple will nod their heads and bleat in agreement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,839 Times in 5,509 Posts

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Another day, another slaughter. This time in Dayton, Ohio, where a man wearing body armor and using an assault rifle killed 9 and injured many more in the span of a few breaths. The mayor of Dayton said that the shooter was killed within a minute by police who were on scene at one bar eatery. It took next to no time for him to do that much damage anyway.

I'm a gun owner who is sick of this. There is a simple lesson that needs to be learned here and it's this: if you place more and more weapons capable of killing a great many people in a short interval of time into our stream of commerce, you will never see an end to this sort of carnage. It will not get better by osmosis. It will not be stopped by prayer without action.

Every other Western Industrial Democracy does a dramatically better job of protecting its citizens from gun violence. None of those models puts more guns into the hands of their citizens. All of them make the possession of assault rifles illegal or extraordinarily difficult and subject to serious scrutiny. In this country we can't pass registration or safety course requirements.

We managed to protect and exercise our 2nd Amendment rights for generations without these weapons. We can exercise the right without them again, just as we manage to do it without rpgs and for the same reason, they are a clear and present danger to our security with no value to equal that risk.

I don't want to see another church, mosque, schoolyard, concert, nightclub, or mall transformed into a killing field. I'm beyond being polite. I will work tirelessly against any candidate that supports the status quo and as stridently for any who works to change it for the better.

We can make our nation safer. This is not a 2nd Amendment issue. It's a human one.
    Well said, TH. Thank you for this.

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Town Heretic (August 4th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    But if the government can argue that it has a compelling interest to infringe upon our right to bear arms, the sheeple will nod their heads and bleat in agreement
    The Civil War was a good war. Republican led federal southern Reconstruction was also good. Ending gun control is ending the end of Reconstruction, which will instead continue where it left off, and now all poc are stronger than they were before, they are ready for the wave of hatred headed their way, and we can all help them, because we know exactly who's wrong here and why; they support laws that continue to violate the inviolable, just as those southern racist lawmakers did in 1877, to spell the temporary defeat of Reconstruction. We won the first, and they've taken the second, but there's a third battle between the racists and the true patriots afoot. It could be happening right now irl. And poc Always need their inviolable right to bear arms Defended. That should be 'Duh' to people, but they miss how dangerous it is to be a poc in America; more than anybody else, to defend against all the real racists who make laws in this country, poc need their right to bear arms to be defended, and that's all Reconstruction was. We have to twist their arms behind their backs and force them to defend the rights of all poc, at Any and All cost. There is no compromise that is moral.

@Nee_Nihilo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Idolater For Your Post:

ok doser (August 4th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    It's the continuation of a response to your post about mass murderers.
    What is your proposal? If you are arguing that these last two mass murderers were identifiable before they began their massacres, through some sort of "psychology" or "psychiatry," then say so. Otherwise you're not addressing my point that these people are horrible in part, because they are 'invisible' to us, and live among us, hiding in plain sight?

@Nee_Nihilo

Thanks
    Thanked 8,466 Times in 4,943 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Well said, TH. Thank you for this.
    Appreciated. I think I'm going to vacate this thread, because it's Idol's and I've had my say. I'll add that the dark fantasy so many of the people who support the status quo or worse wrap themselves in is no longer something to shake head at and roll eyes. It is costing the lives of neighbors, believers, children. It should be held in contempt and I will work from here forward to drive it into the dung heap of history where it belongs.

My son will grow up in a safer America. I believe this because I believe that more and more Americans are waking up to what the gun lobby and the insanity of more guns as a solution to gun violence really means for us.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

annabenedetti (August 4th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your proposal? If you are arguing that these last two mass murderers were identifiable before they began their massacres, through some sort of "psychology" or "psychiatry," then say so. Otherwise you're not addressing my point that these people are horrible in part, because they are 'invisible' to us, and live among us, hiding in plain sight?
    I made my point already, and it was clear. We face more danger in this country from homegrown white supremacist Trump-addled Americans right now than from foreign enemies or immigrants, and if you can't or won't speak to that then we're done.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appreciated. I think I'm going to vacate this thread, because it's Idol's and I've had my say. I'll add that the dark fantasy so many of the people who support the status quo or worse wrap themselves in is no longer something to shake head at and roll eyes. It is costing the lives of neighbors, believers, children. It should be held in contempt and I will work from here forward to drive it into the dung heap of history where it belongs.

My son will grow up in a safer America. I believe this because I believe that more and more Americans are waking up to what the gun lobby and the insanity of more guns as a solution to gun violence really means for us.

Agree, especially with your reference to the the dark fantasy, and would include unbelievers in your list of neighbors, believers, and children - every one of us should be able to go out and buy groceries without having to worry about being gunned down in the store by someone with a weapon that was made for warfare.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    .... without having to worry about being gunned down in the store by someone with a weapon that was made for warfare.

As opposed to being murdered by psychopaths in other ways?

Was the box cutter made for warfare?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (August 5th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made my point already, and it was clear. We face more danger in this country from homegrown white supremacist Trump-addled Americans right now than from foreign enemies or immigrants, and if you can't or won't speak to that then we're done.
    I am Happy to speak to that---what is your proposal? What do you propose that we do? I just can't speak to what you've said so far, because there's nothing to speak to yet. What you've said, whether true, or false, or something in between, doesn't . . . mean anything. As regards this thread, as regards the right to bear arms. I don't have anything to speak to yet.

@Nee_Nihilo

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree, especially with your reference to the the dark fantasy, and would include unbelievers in your list of neighbors, believers, and children - every one of us should be able to go out and buy groceries without having to worry about being gunned down in the store by someone with a weapon that was made for warfare.
    You two, are a Trip.

@Nee_Nihilo

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    dup

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoplophobia, maybe? Doesn't really matter.

@Nee_Nihilo

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Idolater For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (August 5th, 2019)

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoplophobia, maybe? Doesn't really matter.
    In Anna's case, it appears to be just another way to feed her obsession with trump

Thread Information