User Tag List

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 462

Thread: Is Jesus God?

  1. #16
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,049
    Thanks
    1,462
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,163 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    327087
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Jesus is God and raised Himself!
    "But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you." (Romans 8:11)

    Does Scripture contradict itself?

  2. #17
    Over 500 post club
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 114 Times in 88 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12242
    Greetings again Bright Raven and Greetings Right Divider,
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright Raven View Post
    Incorrect.
    John 1:1 New King James Version (NKJV) The Eternal Word
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    John 1:14 New King James Version (NKJV) The Word Becomes Flesh
    14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
    Jesus was eternal in the beginning.
    No, the Word was in the beginning, not Jesus. Jesus is the Name of the child born when the Word became flesh.

    Could I ask again whether your original question is based on the normal English use of the word “God” or the Biblical? It is clear that in the Bible the word God is applied to both Angels and Judges who represented God and therefore has a wider range than the English definition or normal usage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Joh 2:19-22 KJV Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. (20) Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? (21) But he spake of the temple of his body. (22) When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.
    Jesus is God and raised Himself!
    You will need to reconcile this with what Peter preached:
    Acts 2:22 (KJV): This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
    For my part, I suggest that it was God the Father speaking the words through Jesus.
    Hebrews 1:1-2 (KJV): 1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son

    Kind regards
    Trevor

  3. #18
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,769
    Thanks
    11,358
    Thanked 19,257 Times in 10,840 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147683

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    "But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you." (Romans 8:11)

    Does Scripture contradict itself?
    Nope.

    It's just another of the many proofs that Jesus is God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    glorydaz (October 17th, 2018),Grosnick Marowbe (October 18th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 17th, 2018),lifeisgood (October 28th, 2018),steko (October 17th, 2018),Tambora (October 17th, 2018)

  5. #19
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,769
    Thanks
    11,358
    Thanked 19,257 Times in 10,840 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147683

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorL View Post
    You will need to reconcile this with what Peter preached:
    Acts 2:22 (KJV): This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
    For my part, I suggest that it was God the Father speaking the words through Jesus.
    Hebrews 1:1-2 (KJV): 1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son

    Kind regards
    Trevor
    Jesus raised Jesus.
    God raised Jesus.
    Jesus is God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    glorydaz (October 17th, 2018),Grosnick Marowbe (October 17th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 17th, 2018),lifeisgood (October 28th, 2018),steko (October 17th, 2018),Tambora (October 17th, 2018)

  7. #20
    Over 500 post club
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 114 Times in 88 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12242
    Greetings again Right Divider,
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Jesus raised Jesus. God raised Jesus. Jesus is God.
    Good logic, but it does not agree with Acts 2 where Jesus is distinguished from God.

    Kind regards
    Trevor

  8. #21
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,769
    Thanks
    11,358
    Thanked 19,257 Times in 10,840 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147683

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorL View Post
    Greetings again Right Divider, Good logic, but it does not agree with Acts 2 where Jesus is distinguished from God.

    Kind regards
    Trevor
    Jesus is never "distinguished from God".

    Quote some scripture if you'd like to try to make the claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    glorydaz (October 17th, 2018),Grosnick Marowbe (October 18th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 17th, 2018),lifeisgood (October 28th, 2018),steko (October 17th, 2018),Tambora (October 17th, 2018)

  10. #22
    Over 500 post club
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 114 Times in 88 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12242
    Greetings again Right Divider,
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Jesus is never "distinguished from God".
    Quote some scripture if you'd like to try to make the claim.
    Acts 2:32-36 (KJV): 32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. 33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

    Kind regards
    Trevor

  11. #23
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,769
    Thanks
    11,358
    Thanked 19,257 Times in 10,840 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147683

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorL View Post
    Greetings again Right Divider, Acts 2:32-36 (KJV): 32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. 33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

    Kind regards
    Trevor
    You're having some classic problems of confusion.

    Jesus was BOTH God and man.

    Jesus is the SON and NOT the FATHER.

    So there is no problem here, except in your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    glorydaz (October 17th, 2018),Grosnick Marowbe (October 19th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 17th, 2018),lifeisgood (October 28th, 2018),steko (October 17th, 2018),Tambora (October 17th, 2018)

  13. #24
    Gold level Subscriber JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    7,443
    Thanks
    24,163
    Thanked 6,836 Times in 4,294 Posts

    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147603
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright Raven View Post
    What say you? If not, why not?
    Yes, Jesus is God.

    Here are a few reasons that tell us that He is.

    First of all, where the Old Testament has God's prophets saying "Thus saith the LORD," not once in the New testament is that phrase found. Instead, it is replaced with Jesus saying "I say unto you."

    Which leads into the next reason:

    Whereas all of the prophets and writers of the Old Testament pointed to God with everything they said and did, in the New Testament, Jesus' entire message was about, no, not the Father (whom most people consider God anyways; in fact, it's almost undisputed that the Father is God), but HIMSELF! (More on this can be found at kgov.com/deity)

    The next is that the standard for establishing a matter is "two or three witnesses." We find this standard throughout the Bible, meaning it must be pretty important. So what about the matter of if God is righteous? If He created all things, and everything that exists was made by Him (barring Himself of course), then He would have been alone for all of eternity past, which raises the question, "How does God know He is righteous?" The answer lies in Euthyphro's dilemma, which asks whether God is good because he recognizes it as good (which would imply a standard above God, making God "not God"), or that God is good because he commands it to be good (or, as Socrates put it, because God likes it). The answer is that God is good because each of the three Members of the trinity can affirm that neither of the other two Persons have ever wronged the one or the other. God is literally three Witnesses to His righteousness, which establishes that because He IS good, everything He does is good. (More on this can be found at kgov.com/euthyphro)

    The last reason we have that Jesus is God is the number three (3).

    "Three" is found literally everywhere in nature: three basic states of matter (solid, liquid, gas), three sub-atomic particles that make up the atom (proton, neutron, electron), three words used to tell time (past, present, future) and three words to tell "when" (before, during, after), there is a word for a series (of movies, books, etc) of three (trilogy) but not for any other number. Man is body, soul, and spirit. Earth is the third planet from Sol. Jonah was in the belly of the fish for three days, and Jesus, who began His ministry (which lasted for three years) at 30 years of age, was in the tomb for three days. Israel's three patriarchs are Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The priestly tribe of Levi is from Jacob's third child. Leviticus (named after Levi) is the third book in the Bible. The day the law was given, about three thousand men were killed, but the day the Spirit was given, about three thousand were saved. The Hebrew Scriptures are comprised of three sections: The Law, The Prophets, and The Writings. (More on this can be found at kgov.com/three)

    All of these things point to Jesus as being God.
    Last edited by JudgeRightly; October 18th, 2018 at 08:30 AM.

  14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

    glorydaz (October 17th, 2018),Grosnick Marowbe (October 17th, 2018),lifeisgood (October 28th, 2018),steko (October 17th, 2018),Tambora (October 17th, 2018),way 2 go (October 17th, 2018)

  15. #25
    TOL Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,379
    Thanks
    17,734
    Thanked 33,577 Times in 22,522 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147911
    The Jews in 'John 10:33-38 thought that's what Jesus was admitting to. “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

    Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’[a]? If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”

    Jesus was making Himself EQUAL TO God the Father, when He stated: "the Father is in me, and I in the Father.” John 10:30 "I and My Father are one.”

    John 14:9-11 "Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

  16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Grosnick Marowbe For Your Post:

    glorydaz (October 17th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 17th, 2018),lifeisgood (October 28th, 2018),Right Divider (October 17th, 2018),steko (October 17th, 2018),Tambora (October 17th, 2018),way 2 go (October 17th, 2018)

  17. #26
    TOL Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,379
    Thanks
    17,734
    Thanked 33,577 Times in 22,522 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147911
    There is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, yet, they are one.

  18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Grosnick Marowbe For Your Post:

    glorydaz (October 17th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 17th, 2018),Right Divider (October 17th, 2018),steko (October 17th, 2018),Tambora (October 17th, 2018),way 2 go (October 17th, 2018)

  19. #27
    Over 500 post club
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 114 Times in 88 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12242
    Greetings again Right Divider,
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    You're having some classic problems of confusion. Jesus was BOTH God and man. Jesus is the SON and NOT the FATHER. So there is no problem here, except in your mind.
    Interesting claim, but I disagree. There is another part of Acts 2 where the One God, the Father is distinguished from Jesus, the Son of God:
    Acts 2:22–24 (KJV): 22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: 23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

    Kind regards
    Trevor

  20. #28
    LIFETIME MEMBER Bright Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calfornia
    Posts
    8,704
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked 4,406 Times in 2,554 Posts

    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147736
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorL View Post
    Greetings again Bright Raven and Greetings Right Divider,
    No, the Word was in the beginning, not Jesus. Jesus is the Name of the child born when the Word became flesh.

    Could I ask again whether your original question is based on the normal English use of the word “God” or the Biblical? It is clear that in the Bible the word God is applied to both Angels and Judges who represented God and therefore has a wider range than the English definition or normal usage.


    You will need to reconcile this with what Peter preached:
    Acts 2:22 (KJV): This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
    For my part, I suggest that it was God the Father speaking the words through Jesus.
    Hebrews 1:1-2 (KJV): 1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son

    Kind regards
    Trevor
    Who was the Word who walked among us? See John 1:14
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

    Jim Elliot

  21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bright Raven For Your Post:

    Grosnick Marowbe (October 18th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 18th, 2018),lifeisgood (October 28th, 2018),Right Divider (October 18th, 2018),steko (October 18th, 2018),Tambora (October 17th, 2018),way 2 go (October 18th, 2018)

  22. #29
    Over 500 post club
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 114 Times in 88 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12242
    Greetings again Bright Raven,
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright Raven View Post
    Who was the Word who walked among us? See John 1:14
    Yes, it was Jesus the Son of God, who was begotten by the power of God the Father, the Holy Spirit coming on Mary his mother, and thus Jesus was the only begotten of the Father his father. This reveals how The Word became flesh. As a child he developed, and at the time of his revealing to Israel, John witnessed his walking amongst them and testified of his moral glory, and states that Jesus was “full of grace and truth”
    John 1:14 (KJV): And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
    Luke 1:34–35 (KJV): 34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? 35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Spirit shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
    Luke 2:40,52 (KJV): 40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.


    Kind regards
    Trevor

  23. #30
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,769
    Thanks
    11,358
    Thanked 19,257 Times in 10,840 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147683

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorL View Post
    Greetings again Right Divider, Interesting claim, but I disagree. There is another part of Acts 2 where the One God, the Father is distinguished from Jesus, the Son of God:
    Acts 2:22–24 (KJV): 22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: 23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

    Kind regards
    Trevor
    Your complete inability to understand that Jesus is BOTH God and man is your problem.

    I guess that you think that Jesus was a liar when He said that HE would raise HIS body up after three days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    Grosnick Marowbe (October 18th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 18th, 2018),lifeisgood (October 28th, 2018),steko (October 18th, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us