User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The eternal safety and preservation of Gods Elect !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,647 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The elect are the Just or righteous made so by the obedience of the One [Christ] Rom 5:19

19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous This word righteous is translated Just in the NT 33 xs.

And heres a promise for the Just Prov 4:18

18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

This perfect day i render as the Day of Christ 1 Cor 1:8

Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The elect, chosen shall be confirmed to the end 1 Cor 1:8

Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

First we must point out that this promise is to Gods Elect, the Chosen. Paul gives them that designation later in this same chapter notice Vs 26-28

26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
    27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
    28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

In fact they're of that same group ohn writes of in Rev 17:14

14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

Now exactly who is it that its promised to confirm them unto the end ? Lets look at the immediate context of 1 Cor 1 verses 4-8

4 I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;
    5 That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;
    6 Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:
    7 So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:
    8 Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Its by the Grace of God given them by/in Jesus Christ ! Thats who gets then credit for confirming them unto the end.

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now because of Gods Grace to the elect, they wont depart from God, or become apostate Jer 32:40

And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me.

See those " I will" ; " i will"; " i will"; " they shall not" those are sovereign declarations of God, sure to all the seed !

Charles Spurgeon !

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe, after reading your post, that you espouse "once saved always saved" theology. I disagree with that teaching...

Parable of the Sower (Matthew 13:1-23) indicates some are not truly elect...they die out.
    also...
    II Peter 3:17:
    Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position.
    Judas was in fellowship with Jesus yet he fell away. His love for money and this world over weighed his desire to follow Jesus.
    Perhaps others would like to add to this.

Over 1000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TestedandTried View Post
    I believe, after reading your post, that you espouse "once saved always saved" theology. I disagree with that teaching...

Parable of the Sower (Matthew 13:1-23) indicates some are not truly elect...they die out.
    also...
    II Peter 3:17:
    Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position.
    Judas was in fellowship with Jesus yet he fell away. His love for money and this world over weighed his desire to follow Jesus.
    Perhaps others would like to add to this.
    "Once saved always saved" is the statement of semi-pelagian thinkers who imagine their "prayer" saved them and that if they said "the prayer" they are good...no matter how much they sin.
    Reformed theology does not teach that at all.
    Instead, we look at scripture, noting that God has chosen his children from before the world began.
    It is not the responsibility of the elect to somehow maintain their inheritance by good works. It is God's good and gracious gift of faith that assures our perseverance. Faith does good works. If you don't have faith, no matter how much you try to fake it, you cannot do good works that please God. Those who do not persevere in faith were faking it in hopes of making it on their own. You can try to have a "knock off" brand of faith, but the only real faith is the one God gifts the elect.
    The question to ask is: Does God fail the elect so that those whom God chose as His children can also be cast out from the family?
    Jesus said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." He was speaking to the sheep his Father had given him. Was Jesus lying? I think not.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never mentioned that one preserves their salvation via good works, though it is certainly true that we do good works our entire lifetime...remain green even through old age...even as the Spirit within us prompts us to do out of love toward our fellowman, especially brothers and sisters whom we are to sincerely love and love deeply, and we do these things because we are full of love and gratitude toward our God.
    We must not have a sinful unbelieving heart nor turn to sin which we do not repent of. You are overlooking much of Scripture to have a watered down version of the true faith. I suppose you understand that we are tested and tried in this faith and some fail the testing as the parable of the Sower clearly outlines. You may say these were not the elect...that may be so, but these Scriptures are aimed at all of us.

Thread Information