User Tag List

Thread: biblical meaning of death

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

biblical meaning of death

biblical meaning of death,sorry humanist it is not annihilation .

Gen_2:17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."

Mat 8:22 And Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."

dead yet still alive as it is spiritual death

Joh 5:40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

Joh 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

alive yet needing life.

Mat 22:32 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not God of the dead, but of the living."

Act_10:42 And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead.

2Ti_4:1 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:

there are two kinds of people according to the bible the living and the dead to Jesus

Luk 16:30 And he said, 'No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'

Luk_16:31 He said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.'"

some of the dead people will not be convinced.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to way 2 go For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (October 5th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,560 Times in 5,599 Posts

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by way 2 go View Post
    EXACTLY!

It is a "spiritual" death which is in view in the following verse:

"And you did he make alive, when ye were dead through your trespasses and sins"
    (Eph.2:1).

In The Pulpit Commentary we read that "the death ascribed to the Ephesians in their natural state is evidently spiritual death, and 'trespasses and sins,' being in the dative seems to indicate the cause of death - 'dead through your trespasses and your sins' (R.V.)."

From this we can understand that a person dies spiritually as a result or because of his own sin. That can only mean that all people enter the world spiritually alive. After all, in order to die spiritually a person must first be alive spiritually.

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    EXACTLY!

It is a "spiritual" death which is in view in the following verse:

"And you did he make alive, when ye were dead through your trespasses and sins"
    (Eph.2:1).

In The Pulpit Commentary we read that "the death ascribed to the Ephesians in their natural state is evidently spiritual death, and 'trespasses and sins,' being in the dative seems to indicate the cause of death - 'dead through your trespasses and your sins' (R.V.)."

From this we can understand that a person dies spiritually as a result or because of his own sin. That can only mean that all people enter the world spiritually alive. After all, in order to die spiritually a person must first be alive spiritually.

not the best verse , have any others .

(ESV) And you were dead in the trespasses and sins
    (KJV) And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
    (KJV+) AndG2532 youG5209 hath he quickened, who wereG5607 deadG3498 in trespassesG3900 andG2532 sins;G266
    (LITV) and you being dead in deviations and sins,
    (MKJV) And He has made you alive, who were once dead in trespasses and sins,

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psalm 6:5 and similar verses indicate that death is the complete absence of life

Gold level Subscriber JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,292 Times in 4,001 Posts

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
    Psalm 6:5 and similar verses indicate that death is the complete absence of life
    Perhaps at first glance. But read it again, keeping in mind that this is poetry, and not prose.

Return, O Lord, deliver me! Oh, save me for Your merciesí sake!For in death there is no remembrance of You; In the grave who will give You thanks? - Psalm 6:4-5 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...5&version=NKJV

Remembrance has the idea of thinking about something from the past, and in this case, before one was dead. No one can give thanks for something they don't have any recollection of...

David is crying out to the Lord, asking Him to "deliver [him]" from death, so that David can be in God's presence, and contrasting deliverance with, not death, but separation!

Death is merely separation.

Physical death is separation from one's body, and spiritual death is separation from God.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

Right Divider (October 7th, 2018),way 2 go (October 7th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not the best verse , have any others .

"And you, being dead through your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, you, I say, did he make alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses"
    (Col.2:13; ASV).

In Vincent's Word Studies we read the following about the verse: "In your sins...the dative is instrumental, through or by."

In regard to the dative being instrumental we read the following:

"The Instrumental Dative: Expressing the idea of means, agent, cause, manner or instrument, indicating that by/with which the action of the verb was performed."

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post

Death is merely separation.

Physical death is separation from one's body, and spiritual death is separation from God.
    one way spiritual death was described in the old testament was cut off.

Gen_17:14 Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant."
    Exo_4:25 Then Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it and said, "Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to way 2 go For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (October 7th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

complete absence of life in your physical body, yes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to way 2 go For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (October 7th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,886 Posts

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gen_2:17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."

Mat 8:22 And Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."

Joh 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

alive yet needing life.

Mat 22:32 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not God of the dead, but of the living."

Act_10:42 And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead.

2Ti_4:1 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:

there are two kinds of people according to the bible the living and the dead to Jesus

Luk 16:30 And he said, 'No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'

Luk_16:31 He said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.'"

Yes there is spiritual death, which is to be separated from God and dead until we are awakened and the Spirit brings us from death to life.

But there is also death to self, once we are alive in God we should be dead to our old ways, and dying daily as we turn from sin and the ways of the world by the power of the Holy Spirit as he helps us to overcome the world. Dying yet living as Paul puts it.

2 Corinthians 6:9

As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed;

And it's by this death that we glorify God, because as we die to self, the love of God and life of Christ can be seen in and through us. Those who love this world and live after the flesh are still spiritually dead and don't know the power of the resurrection. Those who do, live by the will of God and truly follow Jesus and they bring forth the fruit of the Spirit and they walk not in the ways of the world, they turn from sin and abide in the goodness of God as they walk in the Spirit being alive in God. For this world has nothing in God's true people as they are not of the world, because they live to please the living God and do his will.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alive yet needing life.

I said
    This one might help you also.

[1Ti 5:6
    [6] But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alive yet needing life.

Obviously it was meant of spiritual death, but also that Adam would by the decay that sin produces become subject to mortality and that he and all that would spring from him would be mortal.
    I know Him, correctly, as Messiah whom you call Christ. Yah Shua whom you call Jesus. Messianists who you call Christians.

"Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm".

I refuse, point blank, to speak peace to the unregenerate, hypocrites, religious dogma lovers and those that oppose the following statement:
    A regenerate man trusts in the evangelism of salvation conditioned on the atoning blood and imputed justness of Messiah alone.
    If you are fully persuaded, by experience, of this delightful, beautiful and life giving doctrine then I love you as a brother.

Anyone who thinks that salvation is conditioned on anything a man thinks, does or says is atheist. I cannot and will not speak peace to him or her.

I don't make statements online that I wouldn't repeat in front of my Maker, my grandmother or a judge.

Thanks

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Truster View Post
    Obviously it was meant of spiritual death, but also that Adam would by the decay that sin produces become subject to mortality and that he and all that would spring from him would be mortal.
    Adam was created with a mortal body.

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Adam was created with a mortal body.
    no

Thanks
    Thanked 35,889 Times in 18,040 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psalm 6:5
    5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

That verse only says the dead will be forgotten about.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (October 11th, 2018)

Thread Information