Thread: You Cannot Live the Christian Life

Thanks
    Thanked 8,555 Times in 5,594 Posts

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    I don't agree with you that believers can be children of the night.
    Christians can certainly walk in darkness or why would Paul say the following to Christians?:

"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them" (Eph.5:11).

We can also understand that it is indeed possible for a Christian to walk or live after the flesh because Paul tells Christians that if they live after the flesh they shall die:

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live" (Ro.8:13).

Why would Paul warn these Christians about living after the flesh if it was impossible for them to to do such a thing?

The "death" spoken of here is in regard to the "life" which Paul speaks of here:, that "we should also walk in newness of life" (Ro.6:4) so that "the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh" (2 Cor.4:11). So if a Christian lives a self-centered life any newness of life which they once had will die or cease to exist.

It is a fact that Peter walked in darkness or after the flesh because Paul said this about him:

"But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation. But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?" (Gal.2:11-14).

Are you willing to argue that Peter always walked after the Spirit despite what Paul said about his actions in that passage?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,885 Posts

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clete View Post
    Every Christian on the planet should be made to read the following post!

Thank you so much Pastor Hill!

You have no idea how big an impact this single article had on my life!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Here's a link to the thread that the post was originally posted on. The discussion there is worth reading as well!

Resting in Him,
    Clete
    Loving God with all your heart is the answer, but with that should also come to love your neighbour as yourself. As it's on these two commandments that hang all the law and the prophets.

And those who truly love God with all their heart, will live by his will because they love and reverence him.

Without God, we can't do anything. With him nothing is impossible through true faith and God's grace. If we have faith, and trust in God, and truly follow Jesus, then we can overcome the world through Christ by the power of the Spirit.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,885 Posts

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Can you please help me find the Scriptures where the Lord Jesus said that He could not live the Christian life?

I don't think that is the meaning of the Lord's words when He said “the Son can do nothing of Himself.”

Instead, I believe that His words here are referring to what He said in the following two verses:

"For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but to do the will of Him who sent Me" (Jn.6:38).

"I can do nothing by Myself; I judge only as I hear. And My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me" (Jn.5:30).

I find it very strange that a Christian would say that the Lord Jesus couldn't live the Christian life.
    I don't! It's the truth, the Lord Jesus couldn't do anything without the father. He said, as he prayed to the father in John 17, "you have given me power over all flesh" the father gave him the power, and he also said that without him he could do nothing.

And neither can we!

Thread Information