User Tag List

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 290

Thread: Are You Qualified to be the Executioner?

  1. #211
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post


    I quoted him in my response.
    What verse has Jesus using the word innocent?
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  2. #212
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21,531
    Thanks
    2,280
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 4,790 Posts

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147739
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    ... The woman was found innocent due to lack of witnesses.
    I would say that the woman's guilt was not proven to the satisfaction of the Law
    Last edited by ok doser; October 10th, 2018 at 10:35 PM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (October 11th, 2018)

  4. #213
    Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,093
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,734 Posts

    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    573498
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    What verse has Jesus using the word innocent?
    Nowhere...I was quoting Judge
    Even in the very best of situations, voting is still an unmitigated failure. The fact that any simple majority of individuals (mob) can determine an outcome that adversely affects the minority (mob rule) is against all natural rights. In the United State today, all who vote harm others so that they might benefit. By voting, they are also sanctioning theft of private property at the point of a gun, and the redistribution of that property to those who did not earn it.

  5. #214
    Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,093
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,734 Posts

    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    573498
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    I would say that the wonan's guilt was not proven to the satisfaction of the Law
    Why would you say that....
    Even in the very best of situations, voting is still an unmitigated failure. The fact that any simple majority of individuals (mob) can determine an outcome that adversely affects the minority (mob rule) is against all natural rights. In the United State today, all who vote harm others so that they might benefit. By voting, they are also sanctioning theft of private property at the point of a gun, and the redistribution of that property to those who did not earn it.

  6. #215
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Nowhere...I was quoting Judge
    Judge Rightly is mistaken in saying she was was found innocent due to lack of witnesses.
    Jesus said she lacked the witnesses needed to condemn her.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    ok doser (October 10th, 2018)

  8. #216
    Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,093
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,734 Posts

    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    573498
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Judge Rightly is mistaken in saying she was was found innocent due to lack of witnesses.
    I agree, which is why I was seeking clarification from him.

    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Jesus said she lacked the witnesses needed to condemn her.
    That's your interpretation of it...
    Even in the very best of situations, voting is still an unmitigated failure. The fact that any simple majority of individuals (mob) can determine an outcome that adversely affects the minority (mob rule) is against all natural rights. In the United State today, all who vote harm others so that they might benefit. By voting, they are also sanctioning theft of private property at the point of a gun, and the redistribution of that property to those who did not earn it.

  9. #217
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21,531
    Thanks
    2,280
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 4,790 Posts

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147739
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Um, gonna have to disagree on them assuming it..she was caught in the act......guilt she provided.
    sorry brum - i can't make myself clear on my handheld - those who caught her in the act were satisfied that she was guilty. The Law had stricter requirements to satisfy.


    but to get back to the passage:


    nkjv
    john 8:5 Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?



    they weren't asking Him whether she was guilty or innocent, they were asking Him to contradict the Law of Moses so that they might have something with which to accuse Him

  10. #218
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21,531
    Thanks
    2,280
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 4,790 Posts

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147739
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Why would you say that....
    because i draw a distinction between innocent and not guilty, as determined by law

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    genuineoriginal (October 10th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 11th, 2018)

  12. #219
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21,531
    Thanks
    2,280
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 4,790 Posts

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147739
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Judge Rightly is mistaken in saying she was was found innocent due to lack of witnesses.
    Jesus said she lacked the witnesses needed to condemn her.
    right, in effect she was found not guilty, or as is used in some british commmonwealth law, not proven

    it's a distinction between guilt and innocence


    eta: google indicates that its a Scots term, but I believe I've seen it elsewhere

    could be what I'm remembering was archaic usages

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    genuineoriginal (October 10th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 11th, 2018)

  14. #220
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    That's your interpretation of it...
    What does the Law say about what is needed to condemn anyone for breaking the commandments?

    Deuteronomy 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.


    What did Jesus ask about?

    John 8:10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  15. #221
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    right, in effect she was found not guilty, or as is used in some british commmonwealth law, not proven

    it's a distinction between guilt and innnocence


    eta: google indicates that its a Scots term, but I believe I've seen it elsewhere

    could be what I'm remembering was archaic usages
    Modern term is dismissal.
    The trial was dismissed due to lack of material witnesses.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    ok doser (October 10th, 2018)

  17. #222
    Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,093
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,734 Posts

    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    573498
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    sorry brum - i can't make myself clear on my handheld - those who caught her in the act were satisfied that she was guilty. The Law had stricter requirements to satisfy.


    Agreed!


    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    but to get back to the passage:


    nkjv
    john 8:5 Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?”



    they weren't asking Him whether she was guilty or innocent,

    Agreed!

    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    they were asking Him to contradict the Law of Moses so that they might have something with which to accuse Him
    So what could Jesus have said which would make them accuse him? I mean, the sabbath accusation was before this event I think. So He was already on the "accused" list so to speak.
    Even in the very best of situations, voting is still an unmitigated failure. The fact that any simple majority of individuals (mob) can determine an outcome that adversely affects the minority (mob rule) is against all natural rights. In the United State today, all who vote harm others so that they might benefit. By voting, they are also sanctioning theft of private property at the point of a gun, and the redistribution of that property to those who did not earn it.

  18. #223
    Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,093
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,734 Posts

    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    573498
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    because i draw a distinction between innocent and not guilty, as determined by law
    Which is why I had asked judge for a clarification in which I asked him,

    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Just to verify, your saying that because witnesses were not provided she was declared innocent? So the process cleared her? So if witnesses did come forward, Jesus would have said she was to be killed? Much appreciated!
    So if witnesses did come forward, Jesus would have said she was to be killed? Much appreciated!
    Even in the very best of situations, voting is still an unmitigated failure. The fact that any simple majority of individuals (mob) can determine an outcome that adversely affects the minority (mob rule) is against all natural rights. In the United State today, all who vote harm others so that they might benefit. By voting, they are also sanctioning theft of private property at the point of a gun, and the redistribution of that property to those who did not earn it.

  19. #224
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21,531
    Thanks
    2,280
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 4,790 Posts

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147739
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Agreed!





    Agreed!



    So what could Jesus have said which would make them accuse him? I mean, the sabbath accusation was before this event I think. So He was already on the "accused" list so to speak.
    That's a good question - what were they hoping for in response? What might they have been led to expect?

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (October 11th, 2018)

  21. #225
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    21,531
    Thanks
    2,280
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 4,790 Posts

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147739
    Were they expecting Him to contradict Roman law (which contradicted the law of moses)?

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (October 11th, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us