User Tag List

Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1926272829303132 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 543

Thread: Jews And Gentiles Same Goal

  1. #421
    Over 4000 post club Rosenritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The land of ice and snow.
    Posts
    4,287
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 1,136 Posts

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    195786
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Actually, I would prefer that you weren't so bull headed and actually took the time to consider what I post.

    You aren't the first poster that insists repentance is being sorry for sins. Nor are you the first poster to mix up scripture and think it's saying the same thing. If you ever even considered that repentance could be a change of mind about something besides sin, you'd be half way there.
    You must not have been paying any attention to the discussion about "repentance" in the context of "God repented" during the last month.

  2. #422
    TOL Legend glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,930
    Thanks
    13,760
    Thanked 35,912 Times in 18,048 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147795
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenritter View Post
    You must not have been paying any attention to the discussion about "repentance" in the context of "God repented" during the last month.
    Nonsense, we've been over it countless times on this forum. As I said, you aren't the first poster that has suggested repentance is for sin.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Grosnick Marowbe (October 12th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 13th, 2018),Right Divider (October 12th, 2018)

  4. #423
    Over 4000 post club Rosenritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The land of ice and snow.
    Posts
    4,287
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 1,136 Posts

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    195786
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Nonsense, we've been over it countless times on this forum. As I said, you aren't the first poster that has suggested repentance is for sin.
    Acts 3:19 KJV
    (19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

    My my, who would ever suspect that one should repent for their sins?

  5. #424
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,431
    Thanks
    10,804
    Thanked 18,479 Times in 10,506 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147679

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenritter View Post
    I am sure you would have preferred that I provide an incomplete definition, so that you could target it as being incorrect or lacking in some way.
    From someone that says that context is important, but then ignores the context and tries to force a generalization in all cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    glorydaz (October 12th, 2018),Grosnick Marowbe (October 12th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 13th, 2018),steko (October 12th, 2018)

  7. #425
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    13,031
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 551 Times in 497 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    107956
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenritter View Post
    Acts 3:19 KJV
    (19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

    My my, who would ever suspect that one should repent for their sins?
    I said
    Your right repentance is for sin. But I think this might be the problem with many that read the KJV bible.The KJV used the word repent when they should have said relent with God.

    Relent-Change Your Mind Repent-Regret

    [Mat 21:32 NKJV
    [32] "For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him; but tax collectors and harlots believed him; and when you saw [it], you did not afterward relent and believe him.
    [Heb 7:21 NKJV
    [21] (for they have become priests without an oath, but He with an oath by Him who said to Him: "The LORD has sworn And will not relent, 'You [are] a priest forever According to the order of Melchizedek' "),

    [Mat 21:32 KJV
    [32] For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen [it], repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.
    [Heb 7:21 KJV
    [21] (For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou [art] a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec

    Old Testament

    [Exo 32:14 NKJV]
    [14] So the LORD relented from the harm which He said He would do to His people.
    [2Sa 24:16 NKJV]
    [16] And when the angel stretched out His hand over Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD relented from the destruction, and said to the angel who was destroying the people, "It is enough; now restrain your hand." And the angel of the LORD was by the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.
    [Psa 106:45 NKJV]
    [45] And for their sake He remembered His covenant, And relented according to the multitude of His mercies.
    [Jon 3:10 NKJV]
    [10] Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.

  8. #426
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,431
    Thanks
    10,804
    Thanked 18,479 Times in 10,506 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147679

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenritter View Post
    Acts 3:19 KJV
    (19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

    My my, who would ever suspect that one should repent for their sins?
    Peter is asking them to repent of ONE SPECIFIC sin.

    Act 3:14-21 KJV But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; (15) And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. (16) And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. (17) And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers. (18) But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. (19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; (20) And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: (21) Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

    Same as Act 2:38
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    glorydaz (October 12th, 2018),Grosnick Marowbe (October 12th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 13th, 2018),steko (October 12th, 2018)

  10. #427
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,793
    Thanks
    1,246
    Thanked 8,562 Times in 5,600 Posts

    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147819
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Is that really what you think the baptism of repentance was for?
    Before anyone could be baptized with water he had to believe, as witnessed by the following exchange between Philip and the eunuch:

    "And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" (Acts 8:36-37).

    Before the eunuch was baptized with water he was already "born of God" because he believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God:

    "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God..For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?"
    (1 Jn.5:1,4-5).

    There can be no doubt that the eunuch received eternal life and was "born of God" as a result of his faith before he submitted to the "baptism of repentance." That baptism was in regard to changing one's way of living for the better.

    So the "baptism of repentance" had nothing to do with believing the gospel because a person had already believed and was saved prior to that baptism.

  11. #428
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,793
    Thanks
    1,246
    Thanked 8,562 Times in 5,600 Posts

    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147819
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Peter is asking them to repent of ONE SPECIFIC sin.
    The baptism of repentance was practiced before the Lord Jesus died on the Cross.

  12. #429
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,431
    Thanks
    10,804
    Thanked 18,479 Times in 10,506 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147679

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    The baptism of repentance was practiced before the Lord Jesus died on the Cross.
    Acts 2 & 3 are not referring to "the baptism of repentance".

    Acts 2 & 3 are not even focusing on the cross, but upon Israel's prophecies and kingdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    Grosnick Marowbe (October 12th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 13th, 2018)

  14. #430
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,793
    Thanks
    1,246
    Thanked 8,562 Times in 5,600 Posts

    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147819
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Acts 2 & 3 are not referring to "the baptism of repentance".
    So this is not referring to a baptism of repentance?:

    "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost"
    (Acts 2:38).

    They were to repent and then be baptized and you say that is not referring to the baptism of repentance!

    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Acts 2 & 3 are not even focusing on the cross, but upon Israel's prophecies and kingdom.
    So? Who said anything different? However, they were to believe the following before they were baptized with water:

    "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ"
    (Acts 2:36).

    The Jews who believed that were born of God they moment when they believed it (1 Jn.5:1-5) Then those who believed and were already saved, asked, "What shall we do?"

    And here is what Peter told those who were already saved:

    "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost" (Acts 2:38).

    And you say that is not a baptism of repentance!

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

    Rosenritter (October 12th, 2018)

  16. #431
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,431
    Thanks
    10,804
    Thanked 18,479 Times in 10,506 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147679

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    So this is not referring to a baptism of repentance?:

    "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost"
    (Acts 2:38).

    They were to repent and then be baptized and you say that is not referring to the baptism of repentance!
    Peter is telling them to repent of a SPECIFIC THING, as I showed in an earlier post.

    Poor Jerry just wants to argue about everything. Welcome back to my ignore list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    Grosnick Marowbe (October 12th, 2018),JudgeRightly (October 13th, 2018)

  18. #432
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,793
    Thanks
    1,246
    Thanked 8,562 Times in 5,600 Posts

    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147819
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Peter is telling them to repent of a SPECIFIC THING, as I showed in an earlier post.

    Poor Jerry just wants to argue about everything. Welcome back to my ignore list.
    You are so uninformed that you say that when Peter told the Jews to "repent and be baptized" that wasn't a baptism of repentance.
    Last edited by Jerry Shugart; October 12th, 2018 at 07:02 PM.

  19. #433
    Over 4000 post club Rosenritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The land of ice and snow.
    Posts
    4,287
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 1,136 Posts

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    195786
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I said
    Your right repentance is for sin. But I think this might be the problem with many that read the KJV bible.The KJV used the word repent when they should have said relent with God.

    Relent-Change Your Mind Repent-Regret
    I have no problem with the KJV usage of "repent" to mean "to turn back from." Sometimes it is from a decision, sometimes it is from sin.

  20. #434
    Over 4000 post club Rosenritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The land of ice and snow.
    Posts
    4,287
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 1,136 Posts

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    195786
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Peter is asking them to repent of ONE SPECIFIC sin.

    Act 3:14-21 KJV But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; (15) And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. (16) And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. (17) And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers. (18) But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. (19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; (20) And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: (21) Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

    Same as Act 2:38
    And there is no need to repent of other sins? If their sin was the rejection of God and Christ, then perhaps they also should repent of other sins of which they are convicted by God and Christ? One cannot sincerely repent of one specific sin without also having the heart to repent of all sin.

  21. #435
    Over 4000 post club Rosenritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The land of ice and snow.
    Posts
    4,287
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 1,136 Posts

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    195786
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Acts 2 & 3 are not referring to "the baptism of repentance".

    Acts 2 & 3 are not even focusing on the cross, but upon Israel's prophecies and kingdom.
    Do you really believe that one can be effectively "baptized into Christ Jesus" while with a mind and heart that refuses to repent?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. steko

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us