User Tag List

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 349

Thread: Should Children Be Executed If They've...

  1. #76
    TOL Legend Arthur Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    15,046
    Thanks
    9,144
    Thanked 7,192 Times in 4,809 Posts

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147752
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    Whether I'm prepared to do something or not has nothing to do with whether or not something should be done. Sorry.

    If a child has committed a crime worthy of death, then that child should be put to death. If a teen has committed a crime worthy of death, then that teen should be put to death. If an adult has committed a crime worthy of death, then that adult should be put to death.

    If a child, teen, or adult, has NOT committed a crime, then there's no reason to put them to death.
    Why are you so reticent to answer? You not only advocate that children as young as six should be put to death but you've described a case where it would even be appropriate for the form of execution to be by stabbing. So why don't you step up to the plate and acknowledge that you would be prepared to do as you advocate and be the one who would be prepared to knife a "child criminal" as young as six to their death?

    Someone would have to do it after all? What's the matter, getting a bit uncomfortable for you all of a sudden? I don't advocate such barbarism and frankly, it would take someone with an absolutely psychopathic personality to even entertain the thought of plunging a knife into a child to kill them. But someone would have to in order for your idea of "justice" to be carried out wouldn't they?

    Well this is fun isn't it?


  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

    marhig (September 18th, 2018),Town Heretic (September 18th, 2018)

  3. #77
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    20,266
    Thanks
    3,600
    Thanked 7,791 Times in 4,513 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147824
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    Whether I'm prepared to do so has nothing to do with it.
    Of course it does. Why wouldn't you be prepared to do that which you believe is just, is even Godly, righteous? What would you say about anyone else who failed to do what they believed was unalterably the right thing? Wouldn't you wonder about their conviction on the point?
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (September 18th, 2018),marhig (September 18th, 2018)

  5. #78
    TOL Legend Arthur Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    15,046
    Thanks
    9,144
    Thanked 7,192 Times in 4,809 Posts

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147752
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Of course it does. Why wouldn't you be prepared to do that which you believe is just, is even Godly, righteous? What would you say about anyone else who failed to do what they believed was unalterably the right thing? Wouldn't you wonder about their conviction on the point?
    It's telling isn't it? He believes that it's righteous to "execute" young children, even in the form of stabbing them to death and when put on the spot as to whether he'd be prepared to be the one plunging the knife into a child until their life has ebbed away he'll shy away from it.

    It's pathetic all ends up.
    Well this is fun isn't it?


  6. #79
    Gold level Subscriber JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    7,854
    Thanks
    25,443
    Thanked 7,072 Times in 4,465 Posts

    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147608
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Why are you so reticent to answer? You not only advocate that children as young as six should be put to death but you've described a case where it would even be appropriate for the form of execution to be by stabbing. So why don't you step up to the plate and acknowledge that you would be prepared to do as you advocate and be the one who would be prepared to knife a "child criminal" as young as six to their death?

    Someone would have to do it after all? What's the matter, getting a bit uncomfortable for you all of a sudden? I don't advocate such barbarism and frankly, it would take someone with an absolutely psychopathic personality to even entertain the thought of plunging a knife into a child to kill them. But someone would have to in order for your idea of "justice" to be carried out wouldn't they?

    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Of course it does. Why wouldn't you be prepared to do that which you believe is just, is even Godly, righteous? What would you say about anyone else who failed to do what they believed was unalterably the right thing? Wouldn't you wonder about their conviction on the point?
    No, my "preparedness" to do something that I advocate has nothing to do with whether it should be done or not.

    You both are making a number of logical fallacies with this argument. Please stop.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

    Stripe (September 18th, 2018)

  8. #80
    TOL Legend Arthur Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    15,046
    Thanks
    9,144
    Thanked 7,192 Times in 4,809 Posts

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147752
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    No, my "preparedness" to do something that I advocate has nothing to do with whether it should be done or not.

    You both are making a number of logical fallacies with this argument. Please stop.
    No, we aren't. If you advocate something then you should be prepared to carry it out. If you believe that it's "just" to stab a six year old "child criminal" to death then you should have the courage of your convictions to categorically state that you would be prepared to be the one to plunge the knife in. That you squirm around the issue and deflect away says it all.
    Well this is fun isn't it?


  9. #81
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    20,266
    Thanks
    3,600
    Thanked 7,791 Times in 4,513 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147824
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    No, my "preparedness" to do something that I advocate has nothing to do with whether it should be done or not.
    It does, absent physical impairment, for the reason offered priorl

    You both are making a number of logical fallacies with this argument. Please stop.
    Name them and support them. This is just hand waving. Please start arguing your case.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  10. #82
    Over 5000 post club marhig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,599
    Thanks
    1,996
    Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,887 Posts

    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    41291
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    You can remove your thanks by visiting my post on the desktop site and clicking on the "remove thanks" button.



    Why? Because you say so?

    You're making an appeal to emotion. That's a fallacious argument.



    The Bible clearly outlines which criminals should be put to death for their crimes. The Bible is also God's Word, in case you had forgotten.

    Therefore, God outlines who should be executed for their crimes. Who are you to go against Him?



    That's not what God's word, the Bible says. The Bible says that people who commit capital crimes should be executed, regardless of their age.



    Again, this is an emotional argument, not a logical, and certainly not Biblical, one.
    It amazes me how people say that the laws of the old testament are abolished, until it suits them!

    As I said earlier, Jesus said those without sin cast the first stone!

  11. #83
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    No. They're doing math with a bad calculator to begin with and I'm against the DP in general because we kill innocent people too often and there's no recourse for that.
    I see your "death penalty is the problem" and raise you "no, it is the lawyers that are the problem".
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (September 18th, 2018),Stripe (September 18th, 2018)

  13. #84
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit the Coyote View Post
    When you provide reasonable safeguards to protect the innocent, history shows life without parole is considerably cheaper. In the state of Texas, for example, the cost of executing someone is three times the entire cost of keeping them in prison for life.
    They are doing it wrong, then.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (September 18th, 2018),Stripe (September 18th, 2018)

  15. #85
    Over 5000 post club marhig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,599
    Thanks
    1,996
    Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,887 Posts

    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    41291
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    The opposite of "natural" is not "spiritual."

    The opposite of "natural" is "unnatural."

    The laws given to Israel that were intended ONLY for Israel (such as the dietary laws) are both natural AND spiritual laws. They have a natural application and a spiritual one, but ONLY for Israel. Not for any other people.



    Jesus never repealed the death penalty, no, not even when the "adulteress" was brought before him.



    The only logical conclusion to this argument is that no one should be punished ever for committing any crime at all.

    God knows that man is sinful, and yet He still expects justice to be dealt to those who break the law. If someone steals, He expects restitution. If someone harms someone physically, He expects corporal punishment. If someone if someone murders or commits adultery, He expects the death penalty.

    God's ways are just, loving, and merciful, and if there's any conflict in what a man believes with what He says, let God be true and every man a liar.

    The death penalty is merciful. It shows mercy to the victims, while at the same time punishing the guilty. By excluding the death penalty from punishments for crime, you show mercy to the criminal, while punishing the innocent for being victims.



    Exodus 22:2, Deuteronomy 17:7, and Acts 25:11 prove you to be wrong, and there are plenty more verses like those.



    Stoning is just one form of punishment that could be used.

    There's also...

    Old Sparky (electric chair)
    Old Rusty (lethal injection with no anaesthetic (also no reason to clean the needle))
    Old Stabby (knife for stabbing to death)
    Old Knotty (hangman's noose)
    Firing Squad
    Pit (or pool) full of hungry animals (such as piranhas, lions, wolves, etc)
    Burned at the stake (appropriate for arsonists)
    Thrown off a cliff (used in B.E.'s book The First Five Days for abortionists convicted of murder)
    Spacing (or "airlocking", useful for capital criminals in space or deep underwater)
    And of course, guillotine.



    More appeals to emotion.

    If a child commits a capital crime, he should be put to death. If he does not commit a capital crime, he should not be put to death. It's as simple as that.

    The Law applies equally to all men, women, and children.



    It's perfectly fine to kill someone who is trying to kill you or another innocent person if it's the only way to stop them, and it's perfectly fine for a government to execute criminals worthy of death.
    It's right to do whatever we have to do at the time of being attacked to protect our children and families, it's not right to purposely kill people.

    Jesus taught us to love our enemies, do good to those that hate us, bless those that curse us and pray for those who dispitefully use us. He didn't teach us to kill others. If people do wicked acts then they should be put away for life, and in cases of murdering children life should mean life.

    Ian Brady, the Moors murderer killed many children, and he was imprisoned for life, but he wanted to die because he knew that he'd never get out again. He suffered more by living a life in prison than being put to death. Anyone who harms a child should be locked away and they shouldn't have an easy life in prison either. And they shouldn't be let out on parole.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marhig For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (September 18th, 2018),Kit the Coyote (September 18th, 2018),Town Heretic (September 18th, 2018)

  17. #86
    Over 5000 post club marhig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,599
    Thanks
    1,996
    Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,887 Posts

    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    41291
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    If a 6 year old is convicted because he repeatedly stabbed his mother to death, execution by stabbing seems appropriate.
    What? Are you crazy?

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to marhig For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (September 18th, 2018)

  19. #87
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    It seems as though certain people think that children as young as six (and possibly younger) should face the same sentences as fully grown adults.

    1929: Carl Newton Mahan, murderer at six

    Carl and Cecil were looking for pieces of scrap iron to sell and make some money.

    Carl found one but Cecil snatched it from him and then hit him. Carl then run home, got on top of a chair, took the gun that his father held above the door and went back to Cecil.

    When he saw his friend he yelled, Now Im going to shoot you! Then he pressed the trigger. Cecil died and Carl became one of the youngest killers in history.


    2000: Boy, 6, Accused in Classmate's Killing

    A 6-year-old boy sneaked a loaded handgun into a crowded elementary school here today and shot a classmate to death early this morning in front of a large group of first-grade students, said police officials here.

    The police said that they did not know the motive for shooting but that they recovered a stolen .32-caliber semiautomatic handgun at the scene and took the boy into protective custody.

    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (September 18th, 2018)

  21. #88
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    20,266
    Thanks
    3,600
    Thanked 7,791 Times in 4,513 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147824
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    I see your "death penalty is the problem"
    Then you're seeing things.

    The problem WITH the DP is that it puts innocent people to death, a thing we have no right to do. Fortunately, we don't have to do that to protect society or punish the guilty (so far as we know them to be). And if we get it wrong and that wrong is proven we can recompense to some extent the wrongfully convicted and held.

    and raise you "no, it is the lawyers that are the problem".
    That's not raising the bar, that's lowering the argument to an absurd play at popular misconception and irrationality. But hey, you go with what you have left, eh?
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (September 18th, 2018),Kit the Coyote (September 18th, 2018)

  23. #89
    Gold level Subscriber JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    7,854
    Thanks
    25,443
    Thanked 7,072 Times in 4,465 Posts

    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147608
    Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
    It amazes me how people say that the laws of the old testament are abolished, until it suits them!
    It doesn't amaze me that you would make such an accusation.

    Marhig, please provide scripture that shows the death penalty to be repealed that, when taken at face value, does not conflict with other scriptures taken at face value.

    As I said earlier, Jesus said those without sin cast the first stone!
    I'm going to refer you to this post, where I would like you to read through GO's, Stripe's, and my arguments why Jesus saying that did not repeal the death penalty.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...0&share_type=t

    In a nutshell:

    Jesus said "go and sin no more" because "by two or three witnesses a matter shall be established, and since there were no witnesses remaining to accuse the woman, she would have been found innocent according to the law.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

    Stripe (September 18th, 2018)

  25. #90
    Over 5000 post club marhig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,599
    Thanks
    1,996
    Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,887 Posts

    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    41291
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Why are you so reticent to answer? You not only advocate that children as young as six should be put to death but you've described a case where it would even be appropriate for the form of execution to be by stabbing. So why don't you step up to the plate and acknowledge that you would be prepared to do as you advocate and be the one who would be prepared to knife a "child criminal" as young as six to their death?

    Someone would have to do it after all? What's the matter, getting a bit uncomfortable for you all of a sudden? I don't advocate such barbarism and frankly, it would take someone with an absolutely psychopathic personality to even entertain the thought of plunging a knife into a child to kill them. But someone would have to in order for your idea of "justice" to be carried out wouldn't they?

    I totally agree!!!

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to marhig For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (September 18th, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us