User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Results 61 to 71 of 71

Thread: Racisim Today

  1. #61
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    5,012
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 799 Times in 552 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    304906
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    The real problem is the quality of the students, not the amount of funds available.
    That is actually a pretty disgusting statement. The quality of these students is no less than any other student. The circumstances that they live in everyday crests obstacles to learning that students in more affluent areas don't face.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CabinetMaker For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (Yesterday),Kit the Coyote (September 21st, 2018),Rusha (Yesterday)

  3. #62
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,004
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,014 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501707
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    That is actually a pretty disgusting statement.
    Your emotional response shows that you have spent no time looking at the problem logically.
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    The quality of these students is no less than any other student.
    That is categorically false.
    Their quality as a student is definitly lacking.
    You may be thinking that their quality as a human is the same thing as their quality as a student, but that is not what is being discussed.
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    The circumstances that they live in everyday crests obstacles to learning that students in more affluent areas don't face.
    I see you have come around to supporting my statement by adding qualifiers that prove you also think the problem is the quality of the students.

    You state that the circumstances that the students live in everyday lowers the quality of the students because of the obstacles to learning that those students face.
    You state that the quality of the students in affluent areas is higher because they do not face those obstacles.

    If you disagree that the obstacles that the students face in the inner city will lower the quality of those students, please explain why you disagree.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  4. #63
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    5,012
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 799 Times in 552 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    304906
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Your emotional response shows that you have spent no time looking at the problem logically.

    That is categorically false.
    Their quality as a student is definitly lacking.
    You may be thinking that their quality as a human is the same thing as their quality as a student, but that is not what is being discussed.

    I see you have come around to supporting my statement by adding qualifiers that prove you also think the problem is the quality of the students.

    You state that the circumstances that the students live in everyday lowers the quality of the students because of the obstacles to learning that those students face.
    You state that the quality of the students in affluent areas is higher because they do not face those obstacles.

    If you disagree that the obstacles that the students face in the inner city will lower the quality of those students, please explain why you disagree.
    I disagree because the students in these areas are not as homogeneous as your statement suggests. There are students in these areas who do very well despite the odds that say they won't do well. Their potentials as a student for any individual exists and saying that they are low quality students allows you, and other, to write them off as not worthy of assistance.

    I would not support your statement as it is more likely to perpetuate existing problems than address them and fix them.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CabinetMaker For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (Yesterday),Rusha (September 21st, 2018)

  6. #64
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,004
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,014 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501707
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    I disagree because the students in these areas are not as homogeneous as your statement suggests.
    Are there more poor quality students in low-income areas than in high-income areas?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    There are students in these areas who do very well despite the odds that say they won't do well.
    Will you find poor quality students in high-income areas?
    Yes.
    Should you assume all students in high-income areas are high quality students?
    No.
    Will you find high quality students in low-income areas?
    Yes.
    Should you assume all students in low-income areas are low quality students?
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    Their potentials as a student for any individual exists and saying that they are low quality students allows you, and other, to write them off as not worthy of assistance.
    Others have already written off low-income area students because there are way too many low quality students in those areas.
    Some idiots have decided that the way to offset the low quality of the students is to throw taxpayer money at the schools.
    Neither is the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    I would not support your statement as it is more likely to perpetuate existing problems than address them and fix them.
    I won't support your sentiments because they have been used to obstruct all the solutions that would raise the quality of the students in the low-income areas.

    What causes the poor quality of students in low-income areas?
    Low quality parents and other low quality students.
    Low quality parents do not teach their children to be high quality students.
    Low quality students interfere with the education of higher quality students.

    Please notice that poverty is not on the list because poverty does not create low quality students.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  7. #65
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    5,012
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 799 Times in 552 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    304906
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Are there more poor quality students in low-income areas than in high-income areas?
    Yes.
    I disagree. The playing field is not equal so you cannot say categorically that a low socioeconomic area produces low quality students. If you take those students and put them into a different school they have all the raw intelligence needed to succeed.

    Will you find poor quality students in high-income areas?
    Yes.
    Should you assume all students in high-income areas are high quality students?
    No.
    Will you find high quality students in low-income areas?
    Yes.
    Should you assume all students in low-income areas are low quality students?
    No.

    Others have already written off low-income area students because there are way too many low quality students in those areas.
    Some idiots have decided that the way to offset the low quality of the students is to throw taxpayer money at the schools.
    Neither is the answer.
    More money in these areas is needed. Did you look up Maslow? Probably not. Follow the link and read what he has to say about basic needs and learning. Low socioeconomic areas have a very hard time meeting these basic needs. My mom saw it all the time in her classroom. More money is needed in these area to help restore them. They would also hugely benefit from the elimination of Welfare and increased policing. Oddly enough, decriminalizing drugs would probably help as well.

    I won't support your sentiments because they have been used to obstruct all the solutions that would raise the quality of the students in the low-income areas.
    By all means, please share your plan for improving education in these areas.

    What causes the poor quality of students in low-income areas?
    Low quality parents and other low quality students.
    Low quality parents do not teach their children to be high quality students.
    Low quality students interfere with the education of higher quality students.

    Please notice that poverty is not on the list because poverty does not create low quality students.
    I am not sure if you are racist or ignorant. I honestly see you as a part of the problem.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CabinetMaker For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (Yesterday),Rusha (Yesterday)

  9. #66
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,389
    Thanks
    1,184
    Thanked 8,337 Times in 5,458 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    This thread is to discuss racism. What is racism?
    Just listen to the Democrats speak about old white men and you will know exactly the meaning of racism.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

    genuineoriginal (Today)

  11. #67
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    5,012
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 799 Times in 552 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    304906
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Just listen to the Democrats speak about old white men and you will know exactly the meaning of racism.
    That is a colloquial interpretation. Is that the only definition? Can only white people be racist?
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to CabinetMaker For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (Yesterday)

  13. #68
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,389
    Thanks
    1,184
    Thanked 8,337 Times in 5,458 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    That is a colloquial interpretation. Is that the only definition? Can only white people be racist?
    Do you deny that the way the Democrats speak of "old white men" is racist?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

    genuineoriginal (Today)

  15. #69
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    5,012
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 799 Times in 552 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    304906
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Do you deny that the way the Democrats speak of "old white men" is racist?
    I wouldn't paint with a broad brush. Yes, there are plenty of liberals that see old white men as racist.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  16. #70
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,004
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,014 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501707
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    I disagree. The playing field is not equal so you cannot say categorically that a low socioeconomic area produces low quality students. If you take those students and put them into a different school they have all the raw intelligence needed to succeed.
    More money in these areas is needed.
    If you take those students and surround them with different peers, give them different parents and a different upbringing, then their raw intelligence may be enough for them to succeed in any school.
    The school is not the problem, so throwing money at the school will not fix the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    Did you look up Maslow? Probably not. Follow the link and read what he has to say about basic needs and learning. Low socioeconomic areas have a very hard time meeting these basic needs.
    I am familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    My mom saw it all the time in her classroom. More money is needed in these area to help restore them. They would also hugely benefit from the elimination of Welfare and increased policing. Oddly enough, decriminalizing drugs would probably help as well.
    You are starting to identify a few of the reasons that low-income areas produce poor quality students.
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    By all means, please share your plan for improving education in these areas.
    Until you fix the peer problem and the parent problem, you will not have a lasting strategy for improving education in those areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    I am not sure if you are racist or ignorant.
    I am neither.
    I am a realist that knows that low-income areas produce poor quality students, regardless of the color of the people in those areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    I honestly see you as a part of the problem.
    Leftist policies perpetuate the problem.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  17. #71
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,004
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,014 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501707
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Just listen to the Democrats speak about old white men and you will know exactly the meaning of racism.
    Yes, the racist Democrats hate old white men.
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    That is a colloquial interpretation. Is that the only definition? Can only white people be racist?
    Is your liberal thinking causing you problems with understanding English?
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 4 guests)

  1. CabinetMaker

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us