Thread: NFL 2018 Season Starts Tonight

Thanks
    Thanked 8,337 Times in 5,458 Posts

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Pitiful. This coaching staff has to get shaken up, starting with the head coach.
    Final: 24-13
    The Boys looked pitiful and out-coached so you are right, Jason Garrett needs to go. But Jones will let him stay until there is no chance of making the play-offs.

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Wonder where the Steeler's biggest fan is, Tet?

You there?
    Hi Jerry,

Not the start you and I wanted.

Your Cowboys are 1-2, and my Steelers are 1-1-1

I guess the good news is that it's early in the season. However, I'm not very optimistic for my Steelers without LeVeon Bell, and it appears Kansas City, Jacksonville, Denver, Miami, and a few other teams have some really good young talent in the AFC.

What's up with your Cowboys?
    (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW,

The last time the Steelers started the season 1-1-1 was in 1974......they went on to win Super Bowl IX that year.

Just say'n.......
    (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,556 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough loss and another key injury. Just need to stay focus and hope some key players can return from injury The Tampa lost helped
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks
    Thanked 7,619 Times in 4,388 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Tough week...8-8...man. Cost myself 3 games going against the math and picked up 1 that way.

For instance, my predicted score for the Steelers game was

Steelers 29 - TB 27

But I decided to get on the Fitz train for one last week...

Ah, well, then I'm still 33-15 overall and how hard can next week be?

Onward and upward.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Thanks
    Thanked 8,337 Times in 5,458 Posts

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    BTW,

The last time the Steelers started the season 1-1-1 was in 1974......they went on to win Super Bowl IX that year.

Just say'n.......
    Welcome back!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,619 Times in 4,388 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Too early for power ratings, but it isn't too early to look at divisions and get a rough idea of how teams are playing.

Imagine that 20 is a number that represents a decent team. Solid, average. 18-20 is the range with 20 being the best of that limited range.

Then, around 25 you start running into teams playing like playoff teams should. Just another gear.

At 30 you're in the rarified air of the legitimate SB contenders/winners (no one is at this level prior to week 8 with rare, rare exception and few stay there if they arrive that early.

Right now, only about 10 teams are playing above avg. ball.

With that in mind, let's peek at the divisions. And understand this is a rough approximation. Starting with the AFC

AFC East: an average division so far. Nothing embarrassing and nothing remarkable about it. The good news for Pats fans is that even without a wr corps New England is playing as good or better than their division competition. And over the next few weeks they're going to improve on that front. So it isn't likely that anyone will catch them inside the East, which has been a large part of their recipe for playoff positioning and success over the years, winning a weak division at the one spot where you just can't be anymore and win games that matter, under center.

Sum: NE is playing avg ball right now, but will get better with Edelman back after week 4, freeing Gronk from double teams and working in Gordon in the meantime for some relief. Could get playoff better fast if they can right the defensive ship. The Jets are decent, but will have ups and downs with a rookie qb and shouldn't contend any time soon. Buffalo had a great win with a rb at qb (serious accuracy issues) that can't repeat the success as they played him. Miami is playing a weak average despite their record and the NE test will tell us how seriously they can look to at least mix things up within the division early.

AFC West: calm down, KC fans. Yes, they're that good now and yes, there's reason to be excited. The only real challenge you have in your division at this point is the Chargers, who only have a shot on their field. Problem with both teams right now is that they're giving up too many points on defense. I have SD (I know, I know) at high average and KC at better than/not at playoff caliber level, which is fine early. Den and Oak are sub average, but only by a jot...think 17ish on that scale. Could contend with average teams on their own turf. Not good for much more absent some serious growth.

Sum: KC is in the same position as NE in their division. Clearly better than all but one challenger who could coin flip them at home in the Chargers. Play approaching playoff level, held back by defense. Other than that there's no real challenge for them outside of a mirror. SD will have to improve to challenge. Den is only mildly dangerous at home and Oakland can't get out of its own way at present, with both of the last two mentioned playing sub to weak average.

AFC North:
    The strongest division in the AFC, led by a surprising Bal at present. If the Steelers had all their pieces in place...but they're not likely to see that happen this year as things are going.The biggest head scratch short of Oakland's ridiculous trade of Mack. Sign the piece you need to open up your offense and you're golden. Don't (and they won't) and you're wasting the last drops of possibility in the cup. It's getting nearer to rebuild time than anyone is thinking. Cin is in the near KC air, but they look fragile and there's no history to build on, so...

Sum: It's Baltimore's to lose. They're already playing right at playoff level strength and if they get consistent play under center and pressure up the middle they're a dark horse to watch. I know, it's early. Pit needs Bell to make me Bellieve, and they seem determined to squander whatever is left in Big Ben's tank. It's a shame the Giant's front office can't run the Steelers for a minute. Cin has the talent but lacks the heart and is playing strong avg at present. Cle is heading in the right direction for once, but is still only decent avg. Say a 19 on that scale.

AFC South: I know, I saw the game, but it's a weak division with one strong team that, unfortunately, didn't fix the thing that wastes so much, the qb position. It's still a one horse race here. Jac should beat anyone in their division in their opponents backyard. But their qb position is a difference maker, for the other guys. To lose in their own yard against a Titan team with a similar question mark was about as clear a case for doing something as could be seen. Hello, Arizona, I hear you have a Bradford up for sale. Tennessee couldn't field a line that could get Henry more than 3 yds a carry, couldn't get more than 100 yds out of their qb and they won the game anyway. Embarrassing.

Sum: Jac has to fix the offense to contend within their own division, let alone outside of it, but they're clearly the most talented team in the AFC South overall. Ten has staked a claim as the potential upset if they can build on it. Indy is much better with Luck back, but is he enough and is he going to be more Luck like as time progresses, or did the injury turn him into a dink and dunk machine better suited to a SF offensive scheme and will that be enough if it's the reality given the system they built isn't that one...oh, and this just in: Hou is still the place where talent goes to die in the South. Watson improved, but still needs to work himself back to where he was last year. That guy could shake things up. This guy will just make you look respectable in a loss.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Thread Information