User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 53 of 53

Thread: Should People Who Have Mental Illness/Retardation Be Tried As An Adult?

  1. #46
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    19,999
    Thanks
    3,521
    Thanked 7,614 Times in 4,385 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147818
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    That's about the DUMBEST thing I have ever had the misfortune of reading. A Billy Madison skit would be appropriate here.
    So, using a different take on his logic, you're an animal when you sleep, because at that point you can't recognize the nature and consequence of anything. Meaning anyone who wants to kill someone should just wait until they nod off...or kill someone who is significantly impaired. Because, you know, they aren't human according to gen.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  2. #47
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    8,993
    Thanks
    1,119
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 1,009 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501705
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    That's about the DUMBEST thing I have ever had the misfortune of reading. A Billy Madison skit would be appropriate here.
    What excuse would you give for not putting a man-killing animal to death?

    Harambe was killed even though he only posed a threat to the child that fell into into the gorilla enclosure.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  3. #48
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    8,993
    Thanks
    1,119
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 1,009 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501705
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    So, using a different take on his logic, you're an animal when you sleep, because at that point you can't recognize the nature and consequence of anything.
    If a man is killing people in his sleep, being asleep should not be an acceptable excuse for not applying the death penalty to that man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Meaning anyone who wants to kill someone should just wait until they nod off...or kill someone who is significantly impaired. Because, you know, they aren't human according to gen.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  4. #49
    Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,906
    Thanks
    419
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,646 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    558930
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    What excuse would you give for not putting a man-killing animal to death?
    Wrong question. Since you think If a person is unable to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions, it is not a human, but is an animal,

    I guess the baby in the womb is just an animal....you can't make this stuff up.

    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Harambe was killed even though he only posed a threat to the child that fell into into the gorilla enclosure.

    Yes, which Harambe was an ACTUAL animal
    If any of my views seem to be strange or new to you, it is to be hoped that you will not close your mind to them, but will emulate the noble Bereans, and not only read and study the chapters would discuss, but will also search the Scriptures to see whether these things be so.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to drbrumley For Your Post:

    Rusha (Today)

  6. #50
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    19,999
    Thanks
    3,521
    Thanked 7,614 Times in 4,385 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147818
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    If a man is killing people in his sleep, being asleep should not be an acceptable excuse for not applying the death penalty to that man.
    I didn't use a straw man, didn't misrepresent what you didn't think through thoroughly. You reduced right and humanity to a level of cognitive function. That's not the standard, which is why you aren't less than human when you sleep or if you're profoundly impaired.

    Let's look at those two parts again.

    If an animal is a man-killer, it is put to death, despite it being unable to commit murder due to having no ability to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions.
    That's right. We don't try animals. They don't have the same rights as we do and if one poses a danger it can be put down. An animal can neither murder nor be murdered. Comparing it to a man is mistaken in foundation. Continuing...

    If a person is unable to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions, it is not a human, but is an animal, and is to be put to death if it is a man-killer.
    And that's where you veer out of the rational lane and into oncoming sarcasm. You might have a reaction to a drug that takes you out of the ability to understand the nature and consequences of your actions. You don't stop being human. When you're asleep you don't stop being human. If you're profoundly impaired in terms of cognitive function for other reasons, including genetics, you don't stop being human.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (Today)

  8. #51
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    8,993
    Thanks
    1,119
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 1,009 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501705
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Wrong question. Since you think If a person is unable to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions, it is not a human, but is an animal,

    I guess the baby in the womb is just an animal....you can't make this stuff up.
    Are you an extreme leftist or are you just pretending to be one?
    I can't tell without a smiley.

    Let me restate my argument again, since you are showing no ability to comprehend a common sense argument:
    Murder is the crime of killing a human with intent.
    You have to have the ability to recognize the nature and consequences of your actions in order to have intent.

    An animal is unable to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions.
    An animal is able to kill a human.
    An animal is not able to commit the crime of murder.
    An animal that kills a human is put to death because it is dangerous, not because it commits murder.

    Some humans are unable to recognize the nature and consequence of their actions.
    Those humans are like animals in their inability to recognize the nature and consequence of their actions.
    Those humans are able to kill a human.
    Those humans are not able to commit the crime of murder.
    Those humans are dangerous and should be put to death because they are dangerous, despite not being able to commit the crime of murder.

    Man-killers should be put to death because they are dangerous, whether they are animals or they are humans, whether they have the ability to recognize the nature and consequences of their actions or not.


    animal
    a human being considered chiefly as physical or nonrational

    That is the definition of animal I am using when I said:
    If a person is unable to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions, it is not a (rational) human, but is an animal (a nonrational human), and is to be put to death if it is a man-killer.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  9. #52
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    8,993
    Thanks
    1,119
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 1,009 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501705
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    I didn't use a straw man
    Of course you did.
    You took a statement I made about using the death penalty on a man-killer that could not be considered to be a murderer according to the legal definition of murder:
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    If a person is unable to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions, it is not a human, but is an animal, and is to be put to death if it is a man-killer.
    And you completely changed my argument as if I was talking about just killing anyone you want to kill just because they took a nap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Meaning anyone who wants to kill someone should just wait until they nod off...or kill someone who is significantly impaired. Because, you know, they aren't human according to gen.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  10. #53
    TOL Legend Arthur Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    14,586
    Thanks
    8,778
    Thanked 6,946 Times in 4,604 Posts

    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147744
    Quote Originally Posted by quip View Post
    You realize that didn't end well for Lennie?
    It certainly didn't but you got the context, right?

    Well this is fun isn't it?


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us