User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should People Who Have Mental Illness/Retardation Be Tried As An Adult?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,614 Times in 4,385 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    That's about the DUMBEST thing I have ever had the misfortune of reading. A Billy Madison skit would be appropriate here.
    So, using a different take on his logic, you're an animal when you sleep, because at that point you can't recognize the nature and consequence of anything. Meaning anyone who wants to kill someone should just wait until they nod off...or kill someone who is significantly impaired. Because, you know, they aren't human according to gen.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 1,009 Posts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's about the DUMBEST thing I have ever had the misfortune of reading. A Billy Madison skit would be appropriate here.
    What excuse would you give for not putting a man-killing animal to death?

Harambe was killed even though he only posed a threat to the child that fell into into the gorilla enclosure.
    Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    So, using a different take on his logic, you're an animal when you sleep, because at that point you can't recognize the nature and consequence of anything.
    If a man is killing people in his sleep, being asleep should not be an acceptable excuse for not applying the death penalty to that man.
    Meaning anyone who wants to kill someone should just wait until they nod off...or kill someone who is significantly impaired. Because, you know, they aren't human according to gen.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,646 Posts

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    What excuse would you give for not putting a man-killing animal to death?
    Wrong question. Since you think If a person is unable to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions, it is not a human, but is an animal,

I guess the baby in the womb is just an animal....you can't make this stuff up.

Harambe was killed even though he only posed a threat to the child that fell into into the gorilla enclosure.

Yes, which Harambe was an ACTUAL animal
    If any of my views seem to be strange or new to you, it is to be hoped that you will not close your mind to them, but will emulate the noble Bereans, and not only read and study the chapters would discuss, but will also search the Scriptures to see whether these things be so.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to drbrumley For Your Post:

Rusha (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,614 Times in 4,385 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

If a man is killing people in his sleep, being asleep should not be an acceptable excuse for not applying the death penalty to that man.
    I didn't use a straw man, didn't misrepresent what you didn't think through thoroughly. You reduced right and humanity to a level of cognitive function. That's not the standard, which is why you aren't less than human when you sleep or if you're profoundly impaired.

Let's look at those two parts again.

If an animal is a man-killer, it is put to death, despite it being unable to commit murder due to having no ability to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions.
    That's right. We don't try animals. They don't have the same rights as we do and if one poses a danger it can be put down. An animal can neither murder nor be murdered. Comparing it to a man is mistaken in foundation. Continuing...

If a person is unable to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions, it is not a human, but is an animal, and is to be put to death if it is a man-killer.
    And that's where you veer out of the rational lane and into oncoming sarcasm. You might have a reaction to a drug that takes you out of the ability to understand the nature and consequences of your actions. You don't stop being human. When you're asleep you don't stop being human. If you're profoundly impaired in terms of cognitive function for other reasons, including genetics, you don't stop being human.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (Today)

Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrong question. Since you think If a person is unable to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions, it is not a human, but is an animal,

I guess the baby in the womb is just an animal....you can't make this stuff up.
    Are you an extreme leftist or are you just pretending to be one?
    I can't tell without a smiley.

Let me restate my argument again, since you are showing no ability to comprehend a common sense argument:
    Murder is the crime of killing a human with intent.
    You have to have the ability to recognize the nature and consequences of your actions in order to have intent.

An animal is unable to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions.
    An animal is able to kill a human.
    An animal is not able to commit the crime of murder.
    An animal that kills a human is put to death because it is dangerous, not because it commits murder.

Some humans are unable to recognize the nature and consequence of their actions.
    Those humans are like animals in their inability to recognize the nature and consequence of their actions.
    Those humans are able to kill a human.
    Those humans are not able to commit the crime of murder.
    Those humans are dangerous and should be put to death because they are dangerous, despite not being able to commit the crime of murder.

Man-killers should be put to death because they are dangerous, whether they are animals or they are humans, whether they have the ability to recognize the nature and consequences of their actions or not.

animal
    a human being considered chiefly as physical or nonrational

That is the definition of animal I am using when I said:
    If a person is unable to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions, it is not a (rational) human, but is an animal (a nonrational human), and is to be put to death if it is a man-killer.

_____
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't use a straw man
    Of course you did.
    You took a statement I made about using the death penalty on a man-killer that could not be considered to be a murderer according to the legal definition of murder:
    If a person is unable to recognize the nature and consequences of its actions, it is not a human, but is an animal, and is to be put to death if it is a man-killer.
    And you completely changed my argument as if I was talking about just killing anyone you want to kill just because they took a nap.
    Meaning anyone who wants to kill someone should just wait until they nod off...or kill someone who is significantly impaired. Because, you know, they aren't human according to gen.

_____
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,946 Times in 4,604 Posts

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quip View Post
    You realize that didn't end well for Lennie?
    It certainly didn't but you got the context, right?

Well this is fun isn't it?

Thread Information