User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
Results 91 to 103 of 103

Thread: Do You Confess Your Sins?

  1. #91
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,389
    Thanks
    1,184
    Thanked 8,337 Times in 5,458 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    I don't think that Jerry even realizes that nobody can even "confess ALL of their sins", since we are not all knowing and are not qualified to do that. We sin more than we'd care to know.

    According to Jerry's theory, all believers are all out of fellowship with God all of the time since all believers fail to confess ALL of their sins.
    According to Right Divider Christians do not need to cleanse themselves from the filtiness which are the result of sinning despite what Paul says here:

    "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).

  2. #92
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,669
    Thanks
    13,471
    Thanked 35,426 Times in 17,817 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    I don't think that Jerry even realizes that nobody can even "confess ALL of their sins", since we are not all knowing and are not qualified to do that. We sin more than we'd care to know.

    According to Jerry's theory, all believers are all out of fellowship with God all of the time since all believers fail to confess ALL of their sins.
    The Lord is very patient with us, isn't he? He allows us to reap what we have sown. No greater way to learn than that.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Grosnick Marowbe (September 10th, 2018)

  4. #93
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,389
    Thanks
    1,184
    Thanked 8,337 Times in 5,458 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    We cast off those works when we put on the Lord Jesus Christ.
    No, the following words are addressed to Christians:

    "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light"
    (Ro.13:12).
    In the following verse Paul speaks of the results of a Christian walking in darkness:

    "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).

    Or perhaps you are willing to argue that Christians become filthy when walking in the light?

  5. #94
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,389
    Thanks
    1,184
    Thanked 8,337 Times in 5,458 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    The Lord is very patient with us, isn't he? He allows us to reap what we have sown. No greater way to learn than that.
    Yes, and here is what happens to Christians when they don't judge themselves about their sins:

    "For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world" (1 Cor.11:31-32).

    "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons" (Heb.12:6-8).

  6. #95
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,316
    Thanks
    10,667
    Thanked 18,239 Times in 10,394 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147677

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    According to Right Divider Christians do not need to cleanse themselves from the filtiness which are the result of sinning despite what Paul says here:
    "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).
    Show us HOW Paul says that we are to cleanse ourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  7. #96
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,669
    Thanks
    13,471
    Thanked 35,426 Times in 17,817 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    According to Right Divider Christians do not need to cleanse themselves from the filtiness which are the result of sinning despite what Paul says here:

    "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).
    You say it'a a "result of sinning", but Paul is talking about the church and the world. So that "filthiness" is the world which the church was part of before coming out of it.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Grosnick Marowbe (September 10th, 2018)

  9. #97
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,669
    Thanks
    13,471
    Thanked 35,426 Times in 17,817 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Yes, and here is what happens to Christians when they don't judge themselves about their sins:

    "For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world" (1 Cor.11:31-32).

    "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons" (Heb.12:6-8).
    We are God's adopted children...being chastened by our loving Father is a good thing. Count it all joy.....

    I know I'm always grateful when the Lord brings a particular fault or weakness to my attention. I then pray for His strength and help in trusting Him more.

    You want to talk about "perfecting holiness"? Don't work harder....rest MORE.

    2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Grosnick Marowbe (September 10th, 2018)

  11. #98
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,669
    Thanks
    13,471
    Thanked 35,426 Times in 17,817 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Upon confession the Lord will cleanse the Christian from "all" unrighteousness:

    "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to send away our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 Jn.1:9).
    1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

    Paul tells us we are children of the light, and all our trespasses have been forgiven. We are not of the darkness at all.

    1 Thessalonians 5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.


    Jerry, the gospel of grace tells us our trespasses are forgiven when we believe and "confess Jesus as Lord". Law and Grace just do not mix.


    Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Grosnick Marowbe (September 11th, 2018)

  13. #99
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,389
    Thanks
    1,184
    Thanked 8,337 Times in 5,458 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Paul tells us we are children of the light, and all our trespasses have been forgiven.
    Yes, in regard to the Christian's "position 'in Christ.'" But a Christian's "walk" is another matter, as witnessed by Paul's following words:

    "For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world" (1 Cor.11:31).

    Is not the chastening from the Lord for sins which a Christian has committed? If not, for what reason are Christians chastened by the Lord?

  14. #100
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,389
    Thanks
    1,184
    Thanked 8,337 Times in 5,458 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    You say it'a a "result of sinning", but Paul is talking about the church and the world. So that "filthiness" is the world which the church was part of before coming out of it.
    No, the words are directly addressed to those who are already saved:

    "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).

    How would you suggest that a Christian clean himself from the filthiness which is a result of sin?

  15. #101
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,669
    Thanks
    13,471
    Thanked 35,426 Times in 17,817 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    No, the words are directly addressed to those who are already saved:

    "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).

    How would you suggest that a Christian clean himself from the filthiness which is a result of sin?
    I suggest you put that verse back in context. "Having these promises...." For some reason, you refuse to leave sin with the unbelievers where it belongs. We come out from among them, and are then received...washed, sanctified and justified.

    2 Cor. 6:14-18 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

    WERE...past tense.

    1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

  16. #102
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,669
    Thanks
    13,471
    Thanked 35,426 Times in 17,817 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Yes, in regard to the Christian's "position 'in Christ.'" But a Christian's "walk" is another matter, as witnessed by Paul's following words:

    "For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world" (1 Cor.11:31).

    Is not the chastening from the Lord for sins which a Christian has committed? If not, for what reason are Christians chastened by the Lord?
    Chastening or correction is required by all as we are being conformed into the image of our Lord. It's how we learn and grow....perfecting holiness. Anything we do on our own dime, so to speak, may be well intentioned, but not what the Lord desires. The walk of faith is an ongoing journey, and sin is not a part of that journey. Sin was taken care of at the cross, so whatever our faults may be they are utilized by the Lord to conform us...perfecting holiness. We are His workmanship. He dealt with our sin and now He can do His work in us.

  17. #103
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,389
    Thanks
    1,184
    Thanked 8,337 Times in 5,458 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Chastening or correction is required by all as we are being conformed into the image of our Lord.
    You didn't answer my question. Paul tells Christians to cleanse themselves from all filthiness:

    "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God"
    (2 Cor.7:1).

    How would you suggest that a Christian clean himself from this filthiness?

    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    The walk of faith is an ongoing journey, and sin is not a part of that journey.
    Yes, sin is not a part of a Christian when walking after the Spirit but when a Christian walks "after the flesh" and does works of darkness (Ro.13:12) then sin does become a part of his journey.

    That sin defiles the Christian and he is no longer holy and therefore he cannot even serve the Lord while in that shape:

    "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service" (Ro.12:1).

    "That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear, In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life" (Lk.1:74-75).

    glorydaz, I can see that you have the Christians position "in Christ" down pat but you need to work on trying to understand the Christian's "walk" as opposed to his position in Christ.

    They work together but they are not the same thing.
    Last edited by Jerry Shugart; September 11th, 2018 at 07:45 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us