User Tag List

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Omniscience means fatalism.

On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,101 Posts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    No, I'm not. If God knows something in advance then that isn't infringing on someone's will.
    Does knowing everything in advance infringe on God's ability to choose differently?
    Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,088 Times in 4,721 Posts

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Does knowing everything in advance infringe on God's ability to choose differently?
    No.
    Well this is fun isn't it?

On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,101 Posts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    No.
    If God absolutely knew everything that would happen, there is no way for Him to do anything except what He knows He will do, therefore omniscience would infringe upon His ability to choose differently.
    Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

4. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

Rosenritter (August 26th, 2018)

TOL Subscriber
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,577 Times in 22,522 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    Praise God, He raised me up in Christ Jesus.
    And, HOW did He do that? Testimony, please?

TOL Subscriber
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You bold it as though it's an apocryphal book.
    Paul teaches predestination, election and God's choosing.
    Better yet, from Genesis 1 to Revelation 22 we see God's sovereign choosing over the affairs of men.
    Grace is: God giving to us what we do not deserve.
    The Gospel of the grace of God is what the Apostle Paul calls it. Acts 20:24 "But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

TOL Subscriber
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believing is a work of God.
    God must make the person alive before the person can believe. There is no other way.
    There's another way. The truth is the answer and it's not found in Calvinism. It's found in 'The Gospel of the grace of God' as the Apostle Paul calls it. Acts 20:24 "But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God."

Over 1500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosnick Marowbe View Post
    And, HOW did He do that? Testimony, please?
    By His grace.
    With no effort from myself, God reached down and made me alive in Christ.
    My life verse: Galatians 2:20
    I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,088 Times in 4,721 Posts

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If God absolutely knew everything that would happen, there is no way for Him to do anything except what He knows He will do, therefore omniscience would infringe upon His ability to choose differently.
    And a thousand years is like a day.
    Well this is fun isn't it?

Over 1500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's another way. The truth is the answer and it's not found in Calvinism. It's found in 'The Gospel of the grace of God' as the Apostle Paul calls it. Acts 20:24 "But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God."
    The gospel of grace is shown in Paul's conversion.
    A terrorist on his way to round up and kill Christians is made alive in Christ by no effort of his own on the road to Damascus.
    God giving to Paul what he did not deserve.
    It's amazing grace that saves a wretch like me.

TOL Subscriber
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gospel of grace is shown in Paul's conversion.
    A terrorist on his way to round up and kill Christians is made alive in Christ by no effort of his own on the road to Damascus.
    God giving to Paul what he did not deserve.
    It's amazing grace that saves a wretch like me.
    All of those who place their faith in Christ are saved by God's Grace/unmerited mercy and forgiveness.

TOL Subscriber
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By His grace.
    With no effort from myself, God reached down and made me alive in Christ.
    My life verse: Galatians 2:20
    I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
    You had to place your faith in Christ's death and resurrection in order to receive forgiveness of your sins, baptism into the Body of Christ (by the Holy Spirit) and the sealing, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, and the promise of eternal life.

Over 1500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of those who place their faith in Christ are saved by God's Grace/unmerited mercy and forgiveness.
    Indeed, if God did not graciously save them, they could not place their faith in God.
    Do you see how that works?
    Grace is given to the hopeless by the one who has the power to save. The hopeless cannot conjure up hope when they are hopeless. God must give them hope. That act of God in making a person alive in Christ is purely and totally all God's action. You are the recipient of grace, not the participant in grace. Do you comprehend this truth or do you insist that you do the work (which means you nullify grace)?

Over 1500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had to place your faith in Christ's death and resurrection in order to receive forgiveness of your sins, baptism into the Body of Christ (by the Holy Spirit) and the sealing, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, and the promise of eternal life.
    Did Paul have to do that before God saved him on the road to Damascus? If so, then Paul was saved by his own works.
    God does the work of saving you. He brings you to repentance as His child (no rebel ever repents on his own). He gives you faith to believe. He forgives your sins. He baptizes you into Christ. He seals you with the Holy Spirit. He gives eternal life.
    All this you receive by His grave and His grace alone. You, like me, are a wretched, rebellious, sinner who has nothing good to offer. You are a filthy rag, worthy of being disposed of. Never forget what God has done for you and never, ever try to take credit by claiming you "willed" yourself into God's salvation while God passively watched.
    How pathetic and God dishonor in is free-will philosophy. Yuck. I spent 30 years in that cess pool of man-centered thinking. Thank God, even in the midst of my prideful imagination that I chose to believe God...God still loved me and chose me anyway. The great thing about sanctification is that God removes these obstacles over time.

TOL Subscriber
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Paul have to do that before God saved him on the road to Damascus? If so, then Paul was saved by his own works.
    God does the work of saving you. He brings you to repentance as His child (no rebel ever repents on his own). He gives you faith to believe. He forgives your sins. He baptizes you into Christ. He seals you with the Holy Spirit. He gives eternal life.
    All this you receive by His grave and His grace alone. You, like me, are a wretched, rebellious, sinner who has nothing good to offer. You are a filthy rag, worthy of being disposed of. Never forget what God has done for you and never, ever try to take credit by claiming you "willed" yourself into God's salvation while God passively watched.
    How pathetic and God dishonor in is free-will philosophy. Yuck. I spent 30 years in that cess pool of man-centered thinking. Thank God, even in the midst of my prideful imagination that I chose to believe God...God still loved me and chose me anyway. The great thing about sanctification is that God removes these obstacles over time.
    It sounds like your CHANGE OVER has made you: pleasant, loving, kind, humble, mannerly, incapable of anger and sarcasm, unable to reply with name calling, sentimental, forgiving, gentle, happy, joyful, etc, etc. Nobody would ever think you might not be a True believer.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Grosnick Marowbe For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (August 20th, 2018)

TOL Subscriber
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, if God did not graciously save them, they could not place their faith in God.
    Do you see how that works?
    Grace is given to the hopeless by the one who has the power to save. The hopeless cannot conjure up hope when they are hopeless. God must give them hope. That act of God in making a person alive in Christ is purely and totally all God's action. You are the recipient of grace, not the participant in grace. Do you comprehend this truth or do you insist that you do the work (which means you nullify grace)?
    Sounds a wee bit like John Calvin, himself. Oh, say it ain't so.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Grosnick Marowbe For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (August 20th, 2018)

Thread Information