Thread: Which one is correct?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 659 Posts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which one is correct?

If one religion is right then the rest of them are wrong. How would you choose?

Gold level Subscriber JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,431 Times in 3,430 Posts

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eeset View Post
    Look for the one that is exclusive to all others.

Christianity makes the claim that Jesus was crucified (by the Jews (and the Gentiles, but that's a discussion for another time)), died on the cross, was buried, was in the grave for three days, and then on the third day, He rose again. Paul says that if Christ did not rise from the grave, then Christianity is vain. But as with many statements like that, the opposite is true as well. If Christ did rise from the dead, then all other religions are vain.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

genuineoriginal (July 16th, 2018),Idolater (July 12th, 2018),Stripe (July 13th, 2018),way 2 go (July 15th, 2018)

Gold level Subscriber JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,431 Times in 3,430 Posts

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post

Christianity makes the claim that Jesus was crucified (by the Jews (and the Gentiles, but that's a discussion for another time)), died on the cross, was buried, was in the grave for three days, and then on the third day, He rose again. Paul says that if Christ did not rise from the grave, then Christianity is vain. But as with many statements like that, the opposite is true as well. If Christ did rise from the dead, then all other religions are vain.
    In addition to that, Most cultures record their history as them being the greatest civilization to have ever existed. Only the Bible paints its people (the Jews) as the utter failures that they were. Throughout their history, Their record is that of faith in their God, then growing complacent, then turning away from their God, their God bringing punishment upon them, them suffering because of their turning away, and then turning back to their God, rinse and repeat.

The Bible has the flavor of realism that other texts that speak of the people who wrote them just do not have.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

genuineoriginal (July 16th, 2018),Stripe (July 13th, 2018),way 2 go (July 15th, 2018)

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said
    find the one that can actually place a new teacher inside of you. The Holy Spirit.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...If Christ did rise from the dead, then all other religions are vain.
    I would further say that if Christ did not rise, then everything is vain. Life is vain. Everything.
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

@Nee_Nihilo

Thanks

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No false gods, learning from others, and if Judaism is a religion. We Jews do not have a religion. Also we are religious Jews. What does it mean to be accepting of all religions? Because that does not seem or appear to me to be based in Torah. Christian religions are not all the same.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,713 Times in 2,775 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Not that you and I always see eye to eye on one thing or another, but good to finally see, for a change, a Dispy on TOL evidence the correct understanding of what Paul had meant by the words "unless ye have believed in vain."

Most on here erroneously assert that Paul had meant "unless ye did not really believe."

As you basically correctly put it, Paul had been talking about "unless what ye have believed has, in fact, no basis in fact."

1 Corinthians 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

15:3 FOR I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

15:13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: 15:14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. 15:15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.

Prob. 27:17
    Rom. 5:6-8.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    Not that you and I always see eye to eye on one thing or another, but good to finally see, for a change, a Dispy on TOL evidence the correct understanding of what Paul had meant by the words "unless ye have believed in vain."

Most on here erroneously assert that Paul had meant "unless ye did not really believe."

As you basically correctly put it, Paul had been talking about "unless what ye have believed has, in fact, no basis in fact."

1 Corinthians 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

15:3 FOR I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

15:13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: 15:14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. 15:15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.

Prob. 27:17
    Rom. 5:6-8.
    I admire Paul getting right to the heart of the matter here. He doesn't beat around the bush, he says it forthright: 'if Christ be not risen, [then Christianity is a sham].'
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

@Nee_Nihilo

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to that, Most cultures record their history as them being the greatest civilization to have ever existed. Only the Bible paints its people (the Jews) as the utter failures that they were. Throughout their history, Their record is that of faith in their God, then growing complacent, then turning away from their God, their God bringing punishment upon them, them suffering because of their turning away, and then turning back to their God, rinse and repeat.

The Bible has the flavor of realism that other texts that speak of the people who wrote them just do not have.
    Yeah, like the goods guys always win. It is generally accepted that a lot of Biblical stories are a rehash of older stories and traditions of the Near East which the Israelites originated from (Canaan). The Old Testament was not written in it's present form till after two imprisonments by two of the greatest civilizations on earth (Egypt and Babylonians) at the time by Hebrew scholars so they had plenty of material to work with. Why do so many stories in the Bible sound similar to ancient Sumer accounts, it is not hard to make the connections with I am sure many have made. Even the Hebrew language and writing have ancient Canaanite origin. Canaanite storm god name is el.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bee1; July 12th, 2018 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed that many people are only familiar with 2 or 3 religions out of the thousands that exist,

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,549 Times in 3,415 Posts

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have noticed that many people are only familiar with 2 or 3 religions out of the thousands that exist,
    i'm familiar with Southern Baptist and Catholic

are you saying that there's others?

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a conundrum in itself?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    i'm familiar with Southern Baptist and Catholic

are you saying that there's others?
    Yes and one of them is correct.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not me son

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Donít worry about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information