User Tag List

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 202

Thread: ‘My son is not the same’: New testimony paints bleak picture of family separation

  1. #91
    TOL Legend Arthur Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    14,586
    Thanks
    8,778
    Thanked 6,946 Times in 4,604 Posts

    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147744
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Are you just trolling for responses with crap like this?

    If you are, you got your response. If you aren't, you're sick inside.
    Why do you think I don't bother with him anymore? He set out his stall a long time ago and it's still under the same bridge...

    Well this is fun isn't it?


  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

    annabenedetti (July 11th, 2018),ok doser (July 11th, 2018),Rusha (July 11th, 2018)

  3. #92
    TOL Legend Arthur Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    14,586
    Thanks
    8,778
    Thanked 6,946 Times in 4,604 Posts

    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147744
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    From Shaun King this morning:

    BREAKING: government to announce on Thursday that they have deported over 100 parents of separated children who've been shipped off to 17 different states.And that they have no plan or idea on how to find or unify them.

    Companies are getting filthy rich off of these kidnapped children that have been forcibly taken from their families by the American government. It's one of the most obscene expressions of vulgar capitalism that I have ever seen in my entire life.



    1-Year-Old Baby Appears In Immigration Court, Cries Hysterically
    The judge said he was “embarrassed” to ask if the boy understood the proceedings.


    A 1-year-old boy in federal custody who appeared in immigration court without his parents in Phoenix briefly played with a ball, drank from a bottle, then “cried hysterically” as he was about to leave the courtroom Friday, according to The Associated Press.

    But he was eventually granted a voluntary departure order so the government can fly him to Honduras, where his father has already been sent.

    The little boy, identified in court only as Johan, was one of the children who appeared in the Arizona court Friday without parents. One boy held up five fingers when the judge asked him his age.

    Judge John Richardson said he was “embarrassed to ask” if Johan understood the proceedings, AP reported. “I don’t know who you would explain it to, unless you think that a 1-year-old could learn immigration law,” he told Johan’s attorney.

    Immigration advocates have complained about children going to court, calling it stressful and frightening. People in immigration proceedings, even children, are not guaranteed an attorney, although most unaccompanied minors do appear with representation.There are no physical accommodations for children, many of whom can’t even see over defense tables without booster seats.

    “There are no booster seats ... no teddy bears. It’s a cold immigration court, and these kids are sitting in chairs that are too big for them; their feet don’t even touch the floor,” immigration attorney Lindsay Toczylowski told CNN last month.


    Pathetic, truly pathetic...

    Well this is fun isn't it?


  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

    annabenedetti (July 11th, 2018),Rusha (July 11th, 2018),Town Heretic (July 11th, 2018)

  5. #93
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    19,929
    Thanks
    1,661
    Thanked 4,877 Times in 3,673 Posts

    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147720
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    wouldn't the kids be better off with middle class foster parents?
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    (emotional response)

    If you are, you got your response.

    (more emotional response)

    sorry emo, not interested in your "feelings"

    you and others here posture about caring for the children of these abusive parents


    try answering the question

    yes or no, wouldn't the kids be better off with middle class foster parents?
    Last edited by ok doser; July 11th, 2018 at 12:51 PM.

  6. #94
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12,840
    Thanks
    7,396
    Thanked 8,999 Times in 4,985 Posts

    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147729
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    yes or no, wouldn't the kids be better off with middle class foster parents?
    No.

    Now you answer the question. Are you trolling or are you sick inside?
    So keep your candles burning

    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (July 12th, 2018),Rusha (July 11th, 2018)

  8. #95
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    19,929
    Thanks
    1,661
    Thanked 4,877 Times in 3,673 Posts

    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147720
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    No.
    i disagree - I think these children would be better of with middle class foster parents than with their abusive parents

    Now you answer the question. Are you trolling or are you sick inside?
    neither, i don't let my emotional responses rule my reason

    in large part, this is because I don't watch television or television news, which I recognized long ago was manipulative and exploitative

  9. #96
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12,840
    Thanks
    7,396
    Thanked 8,999 Times in 4,985 Posts

    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147729
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    i disagree - I think these children would be better of with middle class foster parents than with their abusive parents
    Their parents aren't abusive. I'll give you an example. One mother fled because the father of her child was murdered and the thugs told her that her daughter was next.

    What would you do? I know what I'd do.



    neither, i don't let my emotional responses rule my reason
    This has nothing to do with emotion. Straight inductive reasoning. Either you're trolling or you're sick inside - or both.
    So keep your candles burning

    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    Rusha (July 11th, 2018)

  11. #97
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    19,929
    Thanks
    1,661
    Thanked 4,877 Times in 3,673 Posts

    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147720
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Their parents aren't abusive.
    if i subjected my children to the trials and tribulations these parents subjected their children to, NYS child protective services would have intervened

    here:
    More people have died crossing the border from Mexico to the US in the first seven months of 2017 compared to the year before, even though significantly fewer people seem to be attempting the journey, according to the United Nation’s migration agency.

    The number of migrant deaths tallied at the border jumped 17% from 204 in the first seven months of 2016 to 232 migrant fatalities in 2017, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said.

    Meanwhile, the US Border Patrol has reported that about half as many migrants were apprehended during border crossings in the first six months of 2016 compared to the first six months of 2017 – down from 267,746 people to 140,024 people.

    Adam Isacson, senior associate for defense oversight at the Washington Office on Latin America, said the increase was shocking because of the drop in apprehensions, which indicate fewer people migrating overall. “The ratio to people dying to people trying has to be way higher than 17%,” Isacson told the Guardian.

    The report does not identify what could be causing the change, but historically, stricter immigration policies in the US have driven people to take more dangerous routes. This is partially because these policies don’t mitigate the factors that drive people to leave, such as the threat of gang violence, crime and lack of economic opportunity.


    July saw the highest number of deaths of any month this year, with 50 bodies discovered, including those of the 10 people who died while being smuggled across the border in a sweltering 18-wheel truck. Days later, at least four people, including two children, died trying to cross the Rio Grande.

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...deaths-figures
    this was just at the border - there doesn't seem to be any data for the deaths across mexico

    and i don't find any recent data that separates out deaths of children, but what number would be acceptable for you?






    Quote Originally Posted by annabananahead
    This has nothing to do with emotion.
    this is all about emotion anna

    it's just that you're being played by a media that only gives you one side, the anti-trump side

    what about that trail of dead children all across mexico? you don't give a crap about them because you don't see them on TV

    why?

    because the media can't blame their deaths on trump

  12. #98
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12,840
    Thanks
    7,396
    Thanked 8,999 Times in 4,985 Posts

    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147729
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post

    this is all about emotion anna
    No. You're shifting the goalposts. We were talking about you when you brought up the emo schtick.

    For the children though? Yes, it's emotional. As a mother I can't imagine between choosing which was the safest danger to endure for the sake of my children.

    Until you've lived through what they've lived through, you're in no place to judge them, you sitting there safely behind your keyboard.

    it's just that you're being played by a media that only gives you one side, the anti-trump side
    Oh, please. Do you think I don't read what they say at places like Breitbart, PJ media, etc.? I see the disgusting pro-Trump side.

    what about that trail of dead children all across mexico? you don't give a crap about them because you don't see them on TV
    1. I don't get my news from TV.
    2. You just said there's no data from Mexico, so that's you emoting there.
    3. It may be that they're safer in Mexico than they are in Guatemala or El Salvador.
    So keep your candles burning

    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (July 12th, 2018),Rusha (July 11th, 2018),Town Heretic (July 11th, 2018)

  14. #99
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,846
    Thanks
    4,311
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,531 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    738746
    Breitbart and pj media is disgusting.....The devil thinks God is disgusting too.

    I don't get my news from TV...

    I get it from where TV gets it's info from. I get it at the raw source of the sewage of venom and hatred...

    https://m.huffpost.com

    https://www.vox.com

    https://www.salon.com

    https://www.theguardian.com/us

  15. #100
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12,840
    Thanks
    7,396
    Thanked 8,999 Times in 4,985 Posts

    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147729
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    Breitbart and pj media is disgusting.....The devil thinks God is disgusting too.

    I don't get my news from TV...

    I get it from where TV gets it's info from. I get it at the raw source of the sewage of venom and hatred...

    https://m.huffpost.com

    https://www.vox.com

    https://www.salon.com

    https://www.theguardian.com/us

    You do? You should broaden your horizons a little.
    So keep your candles burning

    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

  16. #101
    TOL Legend Ktoyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alabama and Florida
    Posts
    9,781
    Thanks
    2,367
    Thanked 6,952 Times in 4,818 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2147719
    Trump placing tariffs on imports is also very bad!
    So, what?

    believe it!

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ktoyou For Your Post:

    annabenedetti (July 11th, 2018)

  18. #102
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,846
    Thanks
    4,311
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,531 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    738746
    TH said:

    It's not a "claim" it's a statement of fact. Few of us are descendents of original peoples here.

    So, you are claiming an immigrant is someone who is not a descendant of original people's????

    That's not a fact. Most of Americans are not immigrants. We are a nation of citizens.

  19. #103
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,846
    Thanks
    4,311
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,531 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    738746
    Ted Kennedy said:

    "Our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually"

    Why say this to a nation that believes we are a nation of immigrants? Because they don't believe that.

    A nation of immigrants would not bat an eye at a million immigrants a year added to our cities.

  20. #104
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    20,000
    Thanks
    3,521
    Thanked 7,615 Times in 4,385 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147819
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    TH said:

    It's not a "claim" it's a statement of fact. Few of us are descendents of original peoples here.
    I did write that and it's true.

    So, you are claiming an immigrant is someone who is not a descendant of original people's????
    No, I'm noting that we are the descendants of immigrants almost to a man, that this nation, superimposed on the bones of conquered peoples and largely stolen from those peoples, should understand that when we address others.

    That's not a fact. Most of Americans are not immigrants. We are a nation of citizens.
    No one has said that most Americans are immigrants. In point of fact, knowing how your mind works, I qualified that point some time ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    Ted Kennedy said:

    "Our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually"

    Why say this to a nation that believes we are a nation of immigrants? Because they don't believe that.

    A nation of immigrants would not bat an eye at a million immigrants a year added to our cities.
    Yeah, I answered this already.

    Here's that post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    ... assurances were being made that the Hart-Cellar Act wouldn't mean a sudden upheaval of culture and a threat to employment by peoples from non-European nations and/or southern Europeans. Hart-Cellar dismantled the northern European preference in immigration.

    It helps to remember that this country was still aggressively racist at that time and that the Civil Rights Act passed in 1964 and the Voting Rights Act in 1965. So it was less about immigrants and more about the composition that was alarming a lot of essentially bigoted white people.

    As for the scholar Gonzales, what's his background? I see he's a writer and a "fellow" at a conservative media outlet. What are his academic qualifications? What degrees does he hold? Or are you playing loose with the particular?
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    annabenedetti (July 11th, 2018),Arthur Brain (July 12th, 2018)

  22. #105
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,846
    Thanks
    4,311
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,531 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    738746
    TH says in defense of his claim that we are a nation of immigrants that..

    "I'm noting that we are the descendants of immigrants almost to a man".


    Being descendants of immigrants doesn't make you a nation of immigrants. It makes you a nation of citizens who still resemble the society the nation was founded upon.

    A nation of immigrants is one where the original society is utterly destroyed and gone by the invading people's of other societies whose culture doesn't resemble our founding culture in the slightest.

    I admit it's headed that way since 1965 but it certainly wasn't that way before that time.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to ClimateSanity For Your Post:

    ok doser (July 12th, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us