User Tag List

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘My son is not the same’: New testimony paints bleak picture of family separation

Thanks
    Thanked 2,887 Times in 1,924 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    its easy to dismiss her as an "ugly american" but i saw no evidence of cognitive impairment, just a woman who was unhappy with something (we never see the beginnings in these videos, the precipitating factors, do we?) and whose language was coarse
    She was O.K. legally, when she was just spewing hatred. That's her First Amendment right. When she completely lost it and physically attacked others, she crossed the line into criminal behavior.

She does seem mentally ill. It goes without saying that a mentally stable person doesn't go off on a tangent and suddenly attack other people. But then, not much different from other people who hate immigrants.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

annabenedetti (July 9th, 2018),Rusha (July 9th, 2018)

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,003 Times in 4,985 Posts

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    She was O.K. legally, when she was just spewing hatred. That's her First Amendment right. When she completely lost it and physically attacked others, she crossed the line into criminal behavior.

She does seem mentally ill. It goes without saying that a mentally stable person doesn't go off on a tangent and suddenly attack other people. But then, not much different from other people who hate immigrants.
    The restraint of those on the receiving end of that hatred was commendable.
    So keep your candles burning

a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Rusha (July 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    But they were sane. That does give one an advantage.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,752 Times in 4,206 Posts

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    of course, we never see the behavior that precipitated her outburst

Anna - aren't you on a path to become a social worker or something?

How do you plan to deal with a client like this woman?

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There is no excuse for crossing the line into physical aggression. The law allows one to be vulgar and hateful, so long as there is not threat or actual physical aggression. If someone had called her names or made rude gestures, there would still be no excuse for physical attacks. And of course, since she said her fury was because she didn't want those people in "her country" (which is also likely their country) there's no evidence they did anything at all to set her off.

People like that often respond better to medication than to counseling. There's a good probability that she already is a client, who likes herself better off meds than on them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

Rusha (July 9th, 2018)

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    There is no excuse for crossing the line into physical aggression. The law allows one to be vulgar and hateful, so long as there is not threat or actual physical aggression. If someone had called her names or made rude gestures, there would still be no excuse for physical attacks. And of course, since she said her fury was because she didn't want those people in "her country" (which is also likely their country) there's no evidence they did anything at all to set her off.

People like that often respond better to medication than to counseling. There's a good probability that she already is a client, who likes herself better off meds than on them.
    You saw "fury"?

I saw anger

Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,531 Posts

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You wanted him to feel miserable. He said he wishes the same for you. The comment not really makes no sense in that context.

Thanks

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By saying his country, he means it's the citizens country....not the world's.

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,003 Times in 4,985 Posts

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you assuming there was something that would reflect badly on the person doing the recording? According to news reports, as soon as she got on the bus she started arguing with the bus driver, who called the police.

I was, planning to enter the program after I graduated last year. Had to give that up for the time being.

I wouldn't presume to know more than I've been taught, I don't have the certification hours and wouldn't pretend otherwise. So just as an observer, I think in that situation the best road was taken. The recipients of her abuse stayed calm and the bus driver called police. I can't think of a better way to have dealt with it at that moment. Can you?
    So keep your candles burning

a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Rusha (July 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why ugly American instead of ugly person? Are you saying Americans are more ugly than other nationalities? I know you didn't call her a racist but the title of the video does. Why that title? Is it that she had no idea if they were illegals or not? There may be reasons for assuming that in her part of the country. That being said, she has every right to beangry at illegal Immigration , although she got quite nasty and violent.....but racist??? That's mind reading.... unless you think anti illegal Immigration is racist itself.

Thanks

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way,. We are not a nation of immigrants as if that were our defining characteristic.

Also, there is a difference between a settler and an immigrant. A settler establishes a new community in a new land. An immigrant joins that community and eventually becomes absorbed into the new culture.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Are you assuming there was something that would reflect badly on the person doing the recording?
    for a normal person to behave like that, I would expect there to have been a precipitating factor

According to news reports, as soon as she got on the bus she started arguing with the bus driver, who called the police.
    ok, didn't know that part

looks like the precipitating factor may have been mental illness, or at least poor anger control

I was, planning to enter the program after I graduated last year. Had to give that up for the time being.
    our paths aren't always linear

if it's something you feel drawn to, I hope you have the opportunity to pursue it

I wouldn't presume to know more than I've been taught, I don't have the certification hours and wouldn't pretend otherwise. So just as an observer, I think in that situation the best road was taken. The recipients of her abuse stayed calm and the bus driver called police. I can't think of a better way to have dealt with it at that moment. Can you?
    i agree

good thing her son was there to intervene

don't have time to search it, but have they interviewed the son?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

annabenedetti (July 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,774 Times in 4,498 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    By the way,. We are not a nation of immigrants as if that were our defining characteristic.
    Sure we are, but you have to understand that when someone says that they don't mean most of the people living here today just arrived.

Also, there is a difference between a settler and an immigrant.
    If not to the people who might already be living in the place where "settlers" immigrate.

A settler establishes a new community in a new land.
    Frequently someone else's. Then they form a government and establish property rights.

Nice work, if you can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    You wanted him to feel miserable. He said he wishes the same for you. The comment not really makes no sense in that context.
    You know, when you come right down to it, lots of comments not really make no sense in that context.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

annabenedetti (July 9th, 2018),Rusha (July 9th, 2018)

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Sure we are, but you have to understand ....:

ok, then so are indians

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You saw "fury"?
    When a person jumps up out of a bus seat and attacks someone who's sitting there, yes, fury. She was working herself up, clearly agitated as the other people on the bus weren't responding in kind to her taunts.

Finally, she couldn't contain it any longer.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

Rusha (July 9th, 2018)

Thread Information