User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘My son is not the same’: New testimony paints bleak picture of family separation

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,999 Times in 4,985 Posts

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kit the Coyote View Post
    Whether they are found to actually be valid asylum seekers, they have a right under both US and International law to apply for it and have the case heard. First time crossing of the border is a misdemeanor. Previous administrations dealt with this problem in a manner that kept families together and ensured that most appeared for their hearings and subsequent deportation as necessary.
    Spot on.
    So keep your candles burning

a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (July 7th, 2018),Rusha (July 7th, 2018)

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,946 Times in 4,604 Posts

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
    I guess the lowlife dirtbags should not have dragged their kid to a foreign country while they committed a federal crime then!!

These jerks can all go rot in hell - come to MY country, commit a crime, then complain that you kid is being housed and fed?

And on top of that we have to listen to your pathetic sniveling and crying?
    You're just a veritable bastion of human compassion and understanding aren't you? YOUR country? You own it or something? How about you consider just why some people feel desperate enough to escape the clutches of their own?
    Well this is fun isn't it?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

annabenedetti (July 7th, 2018),quip (July 7th, 2018),Rusha (July 7th, 2018)

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    You're just a veritable bastion of human compassion and understanding aren't you? YOUR country? You own it or something? How about you consider just why some people feel desperate enough to escape the clutches of their own?

Just another ugly American, just like this one:

Warning: lots of bleeps

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    I just watched "Threads" again the other night after I saw a review of the remastered version and sometimes I wonder if the human race will actually survive another hundred years. When supposed "Christians" avow so much lack of empathy to their own kind and think country is so bloody important it's no wonder we have the potential to blow this planet to "kingdom come". Heck, there's some who probably pray for it to happen...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

annabenedetti (July 7th, 2018),Rusha (July 7th, 2018)

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    I just watched "Threads" again the other night after I saw a review of the remastered version and sometimes I wonder if the human race will actually survive another hundred years.
    Even though history tends to repeat itself, we've never had so much technological power to actually bring it about as we have now.

When supposed "Christians" avow so much lack of empathy to their own kind and think country is so bloody important it's no wonder we have the potential to blow this planet to "kingdom come". Heck, there's some who probably pray for it to happen...
    There are ones who pray for it. They say Maranatha, come Lord Jesus. They want the end times, and they want the obliteration of the unbelievers so they can get on with their assured salvation, the rest be damned. Literally.

I'm reading a book right now called The Irresistible Revolution, recommended to me by a friend. An excerpt of a review written by Brian McLaren (author of A Generous Orthodoxy), starts with this:

"Sometimes I think there is really only one Christian denomination in America: America Civil Religion - a consumerist, militarist, therapeutic, colonial, nationalistic chaplaincy that baptizes and blesses whatever the richest and most powerful nation on the planet wants to do..."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defense contractor detained migrant kids in vacant Phoenix office building

A major U.S. defense contractor quietly detained dozens of immigrant children inside a vacant Phoenix office building with dark windows, no kitchen and only a few toilets during three weeks of the Trump administration’s family separation effort, Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting has learned.

Videos shot by an alarmed neighbor show children dressed in sweatsuits being led – one so young she was carried – into the 3,200-square-foot building in early June. The building is not licensed by Arizona to hold children, and the contractor, MVM Inc., has claimed publicly that it does not operate “shelters or any other type of housing” for children.

Defending the administration’s policy to separate families at the border in a May interview with NPR, White House chief of staff John Kelly promised: “The children will be taken care of – put into foster care or whatever.”

Whether or not these children were taken from their parents, that “whatever” for them was the vacant building tucked away in a midtown Phoenix neighborhood. It is not listed among shelters operating through the federal Office of Refugee Resettlement or on the state child care licensing website.

There are new cameras on the building, extra locks on the doors and a paper shredder bin directly outside the building’s side door. Neighbor Lianna Dunlap’s videos show workers pulling up in white vans and leading dazed children into the building. When she asked questions, she said the workers responded with silence or terse answers.

The building was leased in March by MVM, a Virginia-based defense contractor that has received contracts worth up to $248 million to transport immigrant children since 2014, records show. The company, which once provided guards for CIA facilities in Iraq, was founded by three former Secret Service agents. One of its vice presidents is a former CIA special agent and former acting director of the U.S. Marshals Service.

More at the link.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (July 7th, 2018),Rusha (July 8th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Even though history tends to repeat itself, we've never had so much technological power to actually bring it about as we have now.
    Well, we had it back then and despite being dated to some extent, "Threads" showed just what even a "survivable" attack would do to society through the years. Actually, the ending questioned whether it could survive at all...

There are ones who pray for it. They say Maranatha, come Lord Jesus. They want the end times, and they want the obliteration of the unbelievers so they can get on with their assured salvation, the rest be damned. Literally.
    Yep, you can only hope that these nuts would be shaken if they were actually exposed to actual suffering and for those indoctrinated into such garbage also.

I'm reading a book right now called The Irresistible Revolution, recommended to me by a friend. An excerpt of a review written by Brian McLaren (author of A Generous Orthodoxy), starts with this:

"Sometimes I think there is really only one Christian denomination in America: America Civil Religion - a consumerist, militarist, therapeutic, colonial, nationalistic chaplaincy that baptizes and blesses whatever the richest and most powerful nation on the planet wants to do..."
    Not much concern with what the good Samaritan was about then...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

annabenedetti (July 7th, 2018)

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,877 Times in 3,673 Posts

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

its easy to dismiss her as an "ugly american" but i saw no evidence of cognitive impairment, just a woman who was unhappy with something (we never see the beginnings in these videos, the precipitating factors, do we?) and whose language was coarse

does it make you feel better to label her?
    Last edited by ok doser; July 7th, 2018 at 10:51 PM.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    but i saw no evidence
    Of course you didn't.

does it make you feel better to label her?
    Damn straight. Don't bother pulling Alinsky on me.

I'd hope that maybe it would dawn on one of you what you sound like to people outside the Trump bubble - if I actually thought there was any hope for you.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (July 9th, 2018),Rusha (July 8th, 2018)

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,877 Times in 3,673 Posts

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Of course you didn't.

Damn straight. Don't bother pulling Alinsky on me.

I'd hope that maybe it would dawn on one of you what you sound like to people outside the Trump bubble - if I actually thought there was any hope for you.

well, i wouldn't want her around my children, and I wouldn't want to be stuck on the bus with her, but...

her behavior is nothing I don't experience every day, especially in the er - she seems very familiar to me, older, overweight woman, riding the bus, probably struggling financially, probably a single mother, probably a lot of poor relationship choices, probably involved in reciprocally abusive relationships, chronic health issues exacerbated by poor diet choices, poor lifestyle choices, etc...

... and ready to lash out irrationally when she feels wronged - this is so common in the poorer populations I see as to be unremarkable

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    well, i wouldn't want her around my children, and I wouldn't want to be stuck on the bus with her, but...

her behavior is nothing I don't experience every day, especially in the er - she seems very familiar to me, older, overweight woman, riding the bus, probably struggling financially, probably a single mother, probably a lot of poor relationship choices, probably involved in reciprocally abusive relationships, chronic health issues exacerbated by poor diet choices, poor lifestyle choices, etc...

... and ready to lash out irrationally when she feels wronged - this is so common in the poorer populations I see as to be unremarkable

This is totally not funny, and yet it is... and so blatant it's surreal.

"Does it make you feel better to label her?"

You're willing to cut her all kinds of slack while she's being a racist piece of work, at the same time you're saying vile things about immigrant parents just looking for sanctuary.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (July 9th, 2018),Rusha (July 8th, 2018),Town Heretic (July 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,350 Times in 17,762 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is totally not funny, and yet it is... and so blatant it's surreal.

"Does it make you feel better to label her?"

You're willing to cut her all kinds of slack while she's being a racist piece of work, at the same time you're saying vile things about immigrant parents just looking for sanctuary.
    Boo Hoo

Thanks
    Thanked 35,350 Times in 17,762 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where are your videos of Antifa protestors or your videos of pink hatted feminists? There are plenty of bleeps in those, too. Do you think we all don't know they exist?

Perhaps Anna is trying to appeal to someones emotions.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,924 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Judy Melinek, a San Francisco forensic pathologist who reviewed Martinez's autopsy report at the request of The Washington Post, said the injuries described in the report were more consistent with an accident or fall than an assault.

Melinek stressed that the report contains limited information, and she didn't have access to photos, X-rays and other materials available to the El Paso medical examiner who performed the autopsy.

"He doesn't have injuries on his back and front. He doesn't have injuries on both sides of his body. They are all on the right side and in line with each other. There are also no defensive injuries on the arms or hands," she said. "The absence of defensive injuries and a single plane of injury is more consistent with an accident than a homicide."

Backers of Trump's plans for a border wall have continued to insist Martinez was murdered and challenged others who have cast doubt on the version of the event advanced by union officials.
    This isn't about reality for those guys. So they dance on Martinez's grave because it fits their agenda.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

annabenedetti (July 8th, 2018),Arthur Brain (July 9th, 2018),Rusha (July 8th, 2018)

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump admin hands over names of children under 5 separated at border

The Trump administration on Saturday released the names of children under the age of 5 who were separated from their parents at the US-Mexico border, complying with a federal court order.

The move comes in advance of a Monday hearing on whether to extend the Tuesday deadline for reuniting the children with their families.

The American Civil Liberties Union received the list of the names of the nearly 100 children under the age of 5 who were separated from their parents at the border, according to a group spokesman.

US District Court Judge Dana Sabraw in San Diego ordered the list to be handed over by Saturday evening as he considers whether to extend the Tuesday deadline to reunify the families. But government officials say they need additional time to track down dozens of parents who are no longer in custody, including 19 who were already deported, Justice Department attorney Sarah Fabian said at a hearing Friday.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (July 9th, 2018),Rusha (July 9th, 2018)

Thread Information