Censorship is the height of vanity Rusha's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,574 Times in 2,612 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    What if their fear of your shame caused them to get a secret abortion?
    I wonder what's more important ... the opportunity to gleefully shame the mother of an innocent unborn baby ... or the *life and welfare* of that unborn baby. The two cannot co-exist.
    As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes."
    When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics."
    When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty
    -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy.
    - ABRAHAM LINCOLN, letter to Joshua F. Speed, August 22, 1855

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusha For Your Post:

annabenedetti (July 8th, 2018)

LIFETIME MEMBER aCultureWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 1,072 Posts

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior
    Matthew 7: 15-17

Quote Originally Posted by Rusha View Post
    Interesting verse. Do you believe Trump is a Christian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=bp73zbYwaqw

OR actually pro-life? Personally, I believe he used the label and platform to get elected and continues to use the platform to stay in office.
    According to some, a President can sign legislation that fully funds Planned Parenthood 4 times in his first 14 months as President and still e pro life.

http://theologyonline.com/showthread...-Part-5/page24
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,999 Times in 4,985 Posts

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    .... avoid shameful behaviors?
    Too late for that. They were human. They were desperate not to be found out. Their family would disown them and their church would shun them.
    So keep your candles burning

a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (July 8th, 2018),Rusha (July 8th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a Christian who gets an abortion and then repents of their sin?

Were they a Christian before the abortion, temporarily not a Christian at the time of the abortion, and then a Christian again after they repent? Or do they have to get saved twice? Once before and once after?
    It doesn't matter. IF the strategy is to shame, by that logic, she should be shamed until the end of time. Her conversion doesn't make her child less dead.
    As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes."
    When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics."
    When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty
    -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusha For Your Post:

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what's more important ... the opportunity to gleefully shame the mother of an innocent unborn baby ... or the *life and welfare* of that unborn baby. The two cannot co-exist.

All you have to do is read the posts of some of the Christians here to know they'd definitely go for the gleefully shaming.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior
    Matthew 7: 15-17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=bp73zbYwaqw

According to some, a President can sign legislation that fully funds Planned Parenthood 4 times in his first 14 months as President and still e pro life.

http://theologyonline.com/showthread...-Part-5/page24
    Yeah, I am not buying it either.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusha For Your Post:

annabenedetti (July 8th, 2018),Arthur Brain (July 8th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I am not buying it either.
    Don't be too hard on Donald Trump Sandy, as he's been a invaluable ally to the leftist cause.

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All you have to do is read the posts of some of the Christians here to know they'd definitely go for the gleefully shaming.
    I don't see stigmatizing and shaming pregnant women as being pro-life. It's pro-birth. The intent should be to support BOTH the unborn baby and the mom. Healthy babies need healthy mums in order to thrive. Undue emotional stress is harmful to every mother and unborn baby.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusha For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't be too hard on Donald Trump Sandy, as he's been a invaluable ally to the leftist cause.
    Nope ... he belongs to the right.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusha For Your Post:

Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,644 Posts

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that were the litmus, a lot of people on TOL who claim to be Christian - wouldn't be, based on their posts.
    I agree

Shame is a very real driver of abortion, take a look at the article I linked to.
    I agree with that too. Shame has a profound impact. But what one must really ask themselves is what would I be ashamed about? That she would have disobeyed God by getting herself into an adulterous relationship and nature caught up with her? That her womb will be bigger for the church to see, (knowing her) she is not wed. God can and does use shame as a way to bring her back if she is a Christian, but butchering the baby is not the answer to shame. Two wrongs do make it right. As far as Christian women getting an abortion goes, as brother adrian rogers has said, "if you can willfully and knowingly sin against the will of God with no conviction, no compunction, and no remorse, you need to get saved. A lot of people say, "Well, I walked down an aisle somewhere, and I got saved. I know I'm just an old backslider now, but I'm still saved and going to heaven."

No, you are not. If you are living that way— high, wide, and handsome—and it does not break your heart, then you do not know the God of the Bible."
    If any of my views seem to be strange or new to you, it is to be hoped that you will not close your mind to them, but will emulate the noble Bereans, and not only read and study the chapters would discuss, but will also search the Scriptures to see whether these things be so.

Thanks

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nope ... he belongs to the right.
    Pointing out that Donald Trump is truly a liberal to his fellow liberals is one of the most difficult pills for them to swallow.

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pointing out that Donald Trump is truly a liberal to his fellow liberals is one of the most difficult pills for them to swallow.
    Because ... he is not.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusha For Your Post:

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    I agree

I agree with that too. Shame has a profound impact.
    Glad to see we agree on a couple of things.

But what one must really ask themselves is what would I be ashamed about? That she would have disobeyed God by getting herself into an adulterous relationship and nature caught up with her? That her womb will be bigger for the church to see, (knowing her) she is not wed. God can and does use shame as a way to bring her back if she is a Christian,
    but butchering the baby is not the answer to shame. Two wrongs do make it right.
    While I agree with you in concept, only a woman shows the physical mark of her sin, the man doesn't. Society has always treated the woman worse than the man when it comes to sexual sin, implicitly letting the man walk away to sow more wild oats in another field while the woman bears the baby and the resulting social ostracism. That doesn't make abortion right, but it makes it understandable.

Women As far as Christian women getting an abortion goes, if you can willfully and knowingly sin against the will of God with no conviction, no compunction, and no remorse, you need to get saved. A lot of people say, "Well, I walked down an aisle somewhere, and I got saved. I know I'm just an old backslider now, but I'm still saved and going to heaven."

No, you are not. If you are living that way— high, wide, and handsome—and it does not break your heart, then you do not know the God of the Bible.
    You're contradicting yourself. I bolded your earlier statement that "God can bring her back if she is a Christian."

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,946 Times in 4,604 Posts

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well, not really, because he isn't. It's only far right conservatives that fawn over the guy as evidenced on here alone. People get labelled as "liberals" and "leftists" if they don't exhibit the same fawning adulation...

You're not gonna win on that one Connie and besides, I thought you were limiting your participation on here to your own pet blog?
    Well this is fun isn't it?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,644 Posts

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see we agree on a couple of things.

While I agree with you in concept, only a woman shows the physical mark of her sin, the man doesn't. Society has always treated the woman worse than the man when it comes to sexual sin, implicitly letting the man walk away to sow more wild oats in another field while the woman bears the baby and the resulting social ostracism. That doesn't make abortion right, but it makes it understandable.

You're contradicting yourself. I bolded your earlier statement that "God can bring her back if she is a Christian."
    There is no contradiction. I never said christian women have never had an abortion. It's when if it doesn't break their heart they did and seek justification for their actions is what I am saying.
    If any of my views seem to be strange or new to you, it is to be hoped that you will not close your mind to them, but will emulate the noble Bereans, and not only read and study the chapters would discuss, but will also search the Scriptures to see whether these things be so.

Thread Information