Thread: Why "Conversion Therapy" Should Be Illegal

Old Timer
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by serpentdove View Post
    They could get an honest job (Is 5:20). Psychiatry has little to offer. Itís a heart issue.
    Perhaps not but it is the basis of the most of the organizations that claim to provide conversion therapy so the opinions of the authorities in the field are relevant as far as the law is concerned.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kit the Coyote View Post
    So all you need to do is talk to your kid at age 4. So you have no objection then to these therapies being banned as they are unnecessary from your viewpoint?

Of course, I noticed you didn't answer the question, not every parent thinks to talk to their kids about this at age four. Indeed, a lot of parents seem to avoid discussing sex at all with thier children in the mistaken belief that it will encourage them.
    Worked for all three. Once they saw on tv or streets a homosexual attraction being displayed I jokingly laughed it off to them the abnormally and absurdities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,069 Times in 4,705 Posts

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by intojoy View Post
    Worked for all three. Once they saw on tv or streets a homosexual attraction being displayed I jokingly laughed it off to them the abnormally and absurdities.

You should patent that as a "cure", and then go arrest an earwig or something...

Well this is fun isn't it?

Old Timer
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktoyou View Post
    Funny, kids past puberty have the lowest sex rates since the 1950s.
    Not sure your point but I would agree the current generation of young people seem much more informed and aware of the issues than when I was that age.

As to argument, find someone with a true reason, or belief in a idea to engage.
    I generally try to respond for folks to respond to me, at least out of politeness if nothing else. And I am rather amused at how the question is being avoided.

Old Timer
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which may work for you, and I wish you all the best with that, but it doesn't address the questions. Again most parents don't do this and so to them, the relevance of these issues is quite serious.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,999 Times in 4,848 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not sure your point but I would agree the current generation of young people seem much more informed and aware of the issues than when I was that age.

I generally try to respond for folks to respond to me, at least out of politeness if nothing else. And I am rather amused at how the question is being avoided.
    What I mean is young people, say 15 to 20, have way less sex than they did in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and even the first decade of 2000.

Kids are less in a hurry to assume adult roles and behaviour. It seems logical that kids likely to be homosexual have more time to reflect on the ramifications of this, not that it necessary discourages them.

The first part of my statement is fact and the second is my inference.
    As to responding, it is your right, yet intojoy is a waste of time because he is not a serious debater.
    So, what?

believe it!

Old Timer
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

What I mean is young people, say 15 to 20, have way less sex than they did in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and even the first decade of 2000.

Kids are less in a hurry to assume adult roles and behaviour. It seems logical that kids likely to be homosexual have more time to reflect on the ramifications of this, not that it necessary discourages them.
    Oh, I agree completely. Seems to be the trend through most of the Western World. With a beneficial reduction in teen pregnancies and abortion as a result. I begin to wonder if we are going to have a problem with parents waiting too late to have a family and but the medical science I think is up to that.

The first part of my statement is fact and the second is my inference.
    As to responding, it is your right, yet intojoy is a waste of time because he is not a serious debater.
    Thank you for the information. I'm still learning the aspects of the posters here but as I get to know folks, I'll adjust my responses accordingly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kit the Coyote For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (June 17th, 2018)

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,752 Times in 4,206 Posts

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ....intojoy is a waste of time because he is not a serious debater.
    he's an interesting read and he enjoys stirring the pot

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,741 Times in 2,788 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

True enough but it doesn't mean they work either. Given the potential negative consequences, the state has a legitimate role in protecting minors from treatments when the available evidence shows that the treatment is more likely to do harm than good.

If conversion therapy groups want to prove otherwise they need to do the hard work to prove that their therapies are beneficial and convince the medical community.
    Regarding your 2nd point there: I do not subscribe to the viewscans approaches of many of the so called "conversion therapy" groups.

Because I understand the basis of one or another of their various errors.

As for your 1st point: something much along the line of what I figured out while playing that Pac Man video game - about some sort of a video game possibly being a means of helping the so called "Schizophrenic" was later proven viable.

My point was and is that where most of the various people attempting to address so called "same-sex attraction" issues are each looking at it from is going to impact both what they see and what they don't see, concerning the various aspects of these issues - normal, or not, born that way, or not, made that way, or not, solveable, or not, via this or that approach, or not, and so on.

Some, for example, have not only repeatedly fail to see I am not actually talking about Schizophrenia, but have also repeatedly failed to see that what is actually going on within their own minds is that they have basically reached the limits of their understanding on these things.

Doesn't make one stupid, or what have you.

Just merely speaks of, or reveals through their words, that such have basically reached the limits of where such look at things from, and as a result, what such will be able to see, or not - even when trying to see where another is coming from.

Just another day in the world of human beings interacting with one another, and or attempting to.

As fraught with all sorts of issues as that can often be observed being.

Thanks

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    Regarding your 2nd point there: I do not subscribe to the viewscans approaches of many of the so called "conversion therapy" groups.

Because I understand the basis of one or another of their various errors.

As for your 1st point: something much along the line of what I figured out while playing that Pac Man video game - about some sort of a video game possibly being a means of helping the so called "Schizophrenic" was later proven viable.

My point was and is that where most of the various people attempting to address so called "same-sex attraction" issues are each looking at it from is going to impact both what they see and what they don't see, concerning the various aspects of these issues - normal, or not, born that way, or not, made that way, or not, solveable, or not, via this or that approach, or not, and so on.

Some, for example, have not only repeatedly fail to see I am not actually talking about Schizophrenia, but have also repeatedly failed to see that what is actually going on within their own minds is that they have basically reached the limits of their understanding on these things.

Doesn't make one stupid, or what have you.

Just merely speaks of, or reveals through their words, that such have basically reached the limits of where such look at things from, and as a result, what such will be able to see, or not - even when trying to see where another is coming from.

Just another day in the world of human beings interacting with one another, and or attempting to.

Dude, if you actually managed to converse without the indirect condescension then it would make communication a lot smoother. Never mind trying to tell others about what their "limits" are. I addressed the schizophrenia aspect directly because it was apt to do so. If all you're going to do is lecture about how people are failing to see your supposed "point" and denigrate their ability to understand anything on a tangential level then be my guest, although why you'd want to join the ranks of "Pompous Blowhard Inc" is anyone's guess.

Old Timer
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That very observational subjectivity, if I am following you correctly, is exactly why we have a scientific and peer review process for these things. Why it is essential to document the hell out of both your methods and observations, have independent parties review that documentation and repeat your results.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kit the Coyote For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (June 17th, 2018)

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if one is born with a homo gene, they still need to repent of the sin, seek God for deliverance. Selah

Thanks

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Even if one is born with a homo gene, they still need to repent of the sin, seek God for deliverance. Selah

Hmm, repent of something they had no say or choice in. About as much sense as to be expected from a carrot cake I suppose...

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,741 Times in 2,788 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

That very observational subjectivity, if I am following you correctly, is exactly why we have a scientific and peer review process for these things. Why it is essential to document the hell out of both your methods and observations, have independent parties review that documentation and repeat your results.
    True.

At the same time, often the world of science and medicine is much like that of other worlds of exploration on one thing or another - each is not only populated with people with many different lens and approaches each of which are rightly very personal to each individual at some points - but is also just often populated with some very insecure individuals.

All of which at times, ironicly, either bogs down forward progress for a time, or other times actually speeds up forward progress in one area or another, in a right direction.

Other times, some great leap forward is made some by lone individual here and there who seemingly fit nowhere in particular- because his or her worldview or model of things simply did not fit the status quo's "settled" and or thus "accredited last word" on a thing.

Case in point...

"Who would want to speak into a black box..." - the then world renowned "accredited" expert on tele-communication "through a wire": Western Union, turning down the opportunity offered them by Alexander Graham Bell, to be the first with him to take tele-phone (or tele-voice) communication "through a wire" to the masses.

"The rest," as they say, "is history."

But back to the subject at a level closer to its surface: same sex attraction.

Well, just a bit closer to its surface...

Question: where sexual attraction is concerned, what "sex" are babies?

As much as I have observed behaviour in human beings for it might point back to when it is so called "scientifically" observed, none.

I believe the answer to that kind of a question and where it leads, or fails to, plays a role in helping get to the bottom of this hetero and or same sex attraction question.

And again, in life in general, getting to the bottom of one thing or another, or not, always goes back to where one is looking at things from to begin with.

Thanks

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    True.

At the same time, often the world of science and medicine is much like that of other worlds of exploration on one thing or another - each is not only populated with people with many different lens and approaches each of which are rightly very personal to each individual at some points - but is also just often populated with some very insecure individuals.

All of which at times, ironicly, either bogs down forward progress for a time, or other times actually speeds up forward progress in one area or another, in a right direction.

Other times, some great leap forward is made some by lone individual here and there who seemingly fit nowhere in particular- because his or her worldview or model of things simply did not fit the status quo's "settled" and or thus "accredited last word" on a thing.

Case in point...

"Who would want to speak into a black box..." - the then world renowned "accredited" expert on tele-communication "through a wire": Western Union, turning down the opportunity offered them by Alexander Graham Bell, to be the first with him to take tele-phone (or tele-voice) communication "through a wire" to the masses.

"The rest," as they say, "is history."

But back to the subject at a level closer to its surface: same sex attraction.

Well, just a bit closer to its surface...

Question: where sexual attraction is concerned, what "sex" are babies?

As much as I have observed behaviour in human beings for it might point back to when it is so called "scientifically" observed, none.

I believe the answer to that kind of a question and where it leads, or fails to, plays a role in helping get to the bottom of this hetero and or same sex attraction question.

And again, in life in general, getting to the bottom of one thing or another, or not, always goes back to where one is looking at things from to begin with.
    Simple question. Have you ever chosen to be attracted to somebody? Or was that merely something out of your control as a lot of things are like instinctual reactions?

Thread Information