Why "Conversion Therapy" Should Be Illegal

It doesn't work and it's abusive:

The first five results on Google for "Does Conversion Therapy Work?"

https://www.livescience.com/25082-ga...apy-facts.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_therapy

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickstru...0N#.wkQJLo9BVN

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...nt-therapy-all

https://www.quora.com/Does-voluntary...n-therapy-work

The following five are no more positive and given that the "practices" have been roundly condemned as not only quackery but harmful in accredited scientific circles and that's there's no credible evidence that homosexuals can be "cured" anyway then what justification is there for "therapy centers" to be open anywhere at all?

Good for New Hampshire to be the latest state to outlaw such abuse but unfortunately there's still places where it's legal for minors to be forced into what is nothing other than degrading and harmful "treatment".

How can that be acceptable to anyone?
    Well this is fun isn't it?

Thanks
    Thanked 34,738 Times in 17,490 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    It doesn't work and it's abusive:

The first five results on Google for "Does Conversion Therapy Work?"

https://www.livescience.com/25082-ga...apy-facts.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_therapy

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickstru...0N#.wkQJLo9BVN

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...nt-therapy-all

https://www.quora.com/Does-voluntary...n-therapy-work

The following five are no more positive and given that the "practices" have been roundly condemned as not only quackery but harmful in accredited scientific circles and that's there's no credible evidence that homosexuals can be "cured" anyway then what justification is there for "therapy centers" to be open anywhere at all?

Good for New Hampshire to be the latest state to outlaw such abuse but unfortunately there's still places where it's legal for minors to be forced into what is nothing other than degrading and harmful "treatment".

Minors are being forced into diversity classes in public schools, including transgender indoctrination. That should be illegal, then those conversion therapies wouldn't be needed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (June 22nd, 2018)

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,489 Times in 4,335 Posts

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Minors are being forced into diversity classes in public schools, including transgender indoctrination. That should be illegal, then those conversion therapies wouldn't be needed.
    Conversion therapies aren't needed, don't work and have been proven to be harmful but you think they are needed? Why?

Educating children that not everyone is straight or can do anything about it isn't abuse, it's fact and will reduce ignorance and bullying.
    Last edited by Arthur Brain; June 9th, 2018 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typo

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

Rusha (June 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conversion therapies aren't needed, don't work and have been proven to be harmful but you think they are needed? Why?
    I'm saying there would be no need.

Educating children that not everyone is straight or can do anything about isn't abuse, it's fact and will reduce ignorance and bullying.
    No, it's planting seeds that don't need to be planted.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm saying there would be no need.
    What need is there for pseudoscience practices that don't work and are abusive and damaging in the first place? Hence why they're being systematically outlawed for those very reasons?

No, it's planting seeds that don't need to be planted.
    Oh, you think it'll turn kids gay or something?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

annabenedetti (June 16th, 2018)

Censorship is the height of vanity Rusha's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,461 Times in 2,559 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF the desire is dictated to the well being of the minor, it's not acceptable.
    As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes."
    When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics."
    When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty
    -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy.
    - ABRAHAM LINCOLN, letter to Joshua F. Speed, August 22, 1855

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusha For Your Post:

annabenedetti (June 16th, 2018),Arthur Brain (June 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusha View Post
    IF the desire is dictated to the well being of the minor, it's not acceptable.
    Exactly. You don't put children through abuse disguised as "therapy".

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

annabenedetti (June 16th, 2018),Rusha (June 10th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What need is there for pseudoscience practices that don't work and are abusive and damaging in the first place? Hence why they're being systematically outlawed for those very reasons?
    I have no idea what "therapies" are out there, but know quite well how selective reporting works.

Oh, you think it'll turn kids gay or something?
    It certainly does cause confusion amongst children who are susceptible to many unhealthy and ungodly things. Early exposure to sex does the same. That's why we are called to protect our children from things of this world.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what "therapies" are out there, but know quite well how selective reporting works.
    Easy enough to find out and there's plenty accredited evidence from professional associations and bodies that roundly condemn it. In the more extreme cases it would include electro shock therapy, sometimes to the genitals, being made to drink substances that would induce vomiting while exposed to homoerotic imagery, being called degrading names etc. Like I said, easy enough to verify.

It certainly does cause confusion amongst children who are susceptible to many unhealthy and ungodly things. Early exposure to sex does the same. That's why we are called to protect our children from things of this world.
    Educating children that not everybody is the same or only attracted to the opposite sex isn't actually talking about "sex" and will help reduce ignorance, bullying and aid those who have issues to be able to talk them instead of feeling trapped as many have in the past.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

annabenedetti (June 16th, 2018),Rusha (June 16th, 2018)

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy enough to find out and there's plenty accredited evidence from professional associations and bodies that roundly condemn it. In the more extreme cases it would include electro shock therapy, sometimes to the genitals, being made to drink substances that would induce vomiting while exposed to homoerotic imagery, being called degrading names etc. Like I said, easy enough to verify.
    Sounds a lot like Clockwork Orange. Laughs
    Another major problem that arises in these therapies is many are using outdated ideas about abusive parents, uncaring fathers or dominate mothers. They then fill kids heads with the message 'it is your father or mother's fault you are like this'. So often when the minor returns home they wind up hating their parents and destroying the family. It rather ironic since it is often the parents that forced them into the program in the first place.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kit the Coyote For Your Post:

annabenedetti (June 16th, 2018),Arthur Brain (June 16th, 2018),Rusha (June 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit the Coyote View Post
    Sounds a lot like Clockwork Orange. Laughs
    Another major problem that arises in these therapies is many are using outdated ideas about abusive parents, uncaring fathers or dominate mothers. They then fill kids heads with the message 'it is your father or mother's fault you are like this'. So often when the minor returns home they wind up hating their parents and destroying the family. It rather ironic since it is often the parents that forced them into the program in the first place.
    It's ironic alright. For people like aCultureWarrior there's no such thing as someone simply being homosexual. They have to have been through some sort of "trauma", be it abuse or molestation in childhood or absent fathers, upheaval etc. It's an untenable position to maintain but then, you'll find that out if you continue on his seven year ongoing "Why Homosexuality Must Be Re-criminalized!" blog.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

annabenedetti (June 16th, 2018),Rusha (June 16th, 2018)

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's ironic alright. For people like aCultureWarrior there's no such thing as someone simply being homosexual. They have to have been through some sort of "trauma", be it abuse or molestation in childhood or absent fathers, upheaval etc. It's an untenable position to maintain but then, you'll find that out if you continue on his seven year ongoing "Why Homosexuality Must Be Re-criminalized!" blog.
    Yes he was bending over backwards to tell me that I must have had such in my childhood and that my relationship with my wife and son was imagined. It is a sad thing when a supposed Christian is left with bearing false witness and imagined claims against a complete stranger rather than question his stereotypes.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kit the Coyote For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (June 16th, 2018),MrDante (June 16th, 2018),Rusha (June 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes he was bending over backwards to tell me that I must have had such in my childhood and that my relationship with my wife and son was imagined. It is a sad thing when a supposed Christian is left with bearing false witness and imagined claims against a complete stranger rather than question his stereotypes.
    He has a history on here of implying that those who disagree with his position on homosexuality as a crime are gay themselves or rabid homosexual activists. You're far from the only one he's pulled that shtick on. He's done it with me plenty of times to the point where it can really only be projection on his part. Some of his innuendo on here about straight people being gay has gotten him booted off the forum from time to time so keep in mind that you're not talking with someone renowned for objectivity or critical thinking skills...

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has a history on here of implying that those who disagree with his position on homosexuality as a crime are gay themselves or rabid homosexual activists. You're far from the only one he's pulled that shtick on. He's done it with me plenty of times to the point where it can really only be projection on his part. Some of his innuendo on here about straight people being gay has gotten him booted off the forum from time to time so keep in mind that you're not talking with someone renowned for objectivity or critical thinking skills...

Well I will freely admit in terms of sexual orientation I am a bi-sexual. I've also happily married over 30 years now to a wonderful woman and we have two fine sons, one of whom is homosexual. No childhood traumas or abuse to be found. But he simply finds that idea unacceptable and has been throwing out silly accusations like accusing my wife of being a transexual, that we are non-monagaomus swingers, etc. I largely ignore it and forgive him because I understand that he has this mental problem with dealing with anything that doesn't fit in his worldview.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kit the Coyote For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (June 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well I will freely admit in terms of sexual orientation I am a bi-sexual. I've also happily married over 30 years now to a wonderful woman and we have two fine sons, one of whom is homosexual. No childhood traumas or abuse to be found. But he simply finds that idea unacceptable and has been throwing out silly accusations like accusing my wife of being a transexual, that we are non-monagaomus swingers, etc. I largely ignore it and forgive him because I understand that he has this mental problem with dealing with anything that doesn't fit in his worldview.
    That's candidly honest on your part and you'll get no criticism or accusations of dishonesty and the like from me. The thing is, I'm reasonable and aCW isn't. In his world, people being gay or bi-sexual without something happening to cause it can't compute. He's not the only one who "thinks" this but he's certainly the most obsessed on the topic. Unfortunately, there's no room for objective reason with people bound by such zealous belief systems. You either have to have been abused or traumatised as a youth or equally bizarrely, you've actually "chosen" to be something other than heterosexual in their view. People on here have insisted that I could "choose" to become gay and even attracted to inanimate objects if I "trained" myself despite being straight. Go figure...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

Kit the Coyote (June 16th, 2018)

Thread Information