Thread: Forum Life Lessons: Questioning the TOL Experience

Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 776 Posts

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    [I] Externally... mostly these days I'm not transferring those thoughts to paper or screen. I used to write a lot, it was a way to process my thinking. Not so much these days. What's the point? It's meaningless.

You're an INFP if memory serves....Stay with the writing!
    _/\_

Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quip For Your Post:

annabenedetti (May 20th, 2018),Arthur Brain (May 27th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. When you first arrived how much experience did you have with internet forums and were you surprised by what you encountered?

Some experience with forums, but smaller and more varied communities. I do recall being shocked by the complete unwillingness to even consider other points of views from some of the posters in here.

2. Is the person you appear to be an exaggeration of who you actually are, who you actually are, or is it unlike who you are in the real world?

Exaggerated in discussions. I tend to have a bit more of a humorous approach to discussions. I'm more laid back I guess.
    Although, I rarely encounter such blatantly irrational views as I do here. I dont see much room for humor when it comes to issues like racism, homophobia, misogyny or blatans denial of reality like creationism or climate change denial.

3. If you could change one thing about the way things are here what would it be?

I don't really have a dog in this fight anymore. There are some people that I quite like, so if I guess if there was one thing: More even sided member pool.

4. Is there a rule you'd like to add to the TOL list?

Nope

5. Have you changed ideologically or personally since you first arrived and if so did TOL play a role in that change?

Ideologically? I've changed theologically. But that is what real theology is, as far as Im concerned, to reinterpret, rethink and mature in my faith in light of new experiences, thinking and learning. TOL has probably been a factor, but my studies and real life more so.

Personally? Guess I'm a bit done with the arguing on the internet phase. I've learned that you can lead a horse to water, but that is that.

6. What was your primary reason for deciding to stick around here for a while?

I'm rarely posting anymore. The reason I stuck around was some of the people here. My last period here I mostly spent my time here talking with them.

7. Do you believe that anonymity has an overall liberating and/or negative effect on posters and posts here?

Guess it can be both.

8. Has your exposure to the views found here contributed to your having a more/less favorable impression of religion?

Less. It has made me acutely aware of how toxic religion (or really ideology in general) can be. It can turn to poison if it is motivated by hatred.

9. Has your exposure to the views found here contributed to your having a more/less favorable impression of atheists?

Neither. I've learned some from some of the good ones. I have a less favorable impression of rabid anti-theists though, they really just strike me as the other side of the coin the most vehement religious fundamentalism.

10. Are you more or less emphatic in your beliefs of in any particular belief you came to TOL with as a direct result of your time here?

Yes. Critical thinking is worth defending. Ignorant bigotry and denial of basic scientific facts corrupts minds, and bad thinking is damaging this world. When such nonsense runs rampant it makes demagogues like Trump president.
    "By the tender mercy of our God, the dawn from on high will break upon us to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace." (Luke 1:78-79)

The Light Eternal, breaking through,
    the world to gleam anew;
    His beams have pierced the core of night,
    He makes us children of the light.

-Martin Luther

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Selaphiel For Your Post:

annabenedetti (May 20th, 2018),Arthur Brain (May 27th, 2018),quip (May 20th, 2018),Rusha (May 20th, 2018),Town Heretic (May 26th, 2018)

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 Times in 2,260 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is an informative thread. I hope management is reviewing the content herein. There is much to think about.

AMR
    Embedded links in my posts or in my sig below are included for a reason. Tolle Lege.

Do you confess?
    Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ask Mr. Religion For Your Post:

Lon (May 27th, 2018),Town Heretic (May 27th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 2,728 Posts

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    I don't agree, for the reason I gave. What you're saying here reads somewhat like a retroactive rationalization for an inadvertent apples-to-oranges comparison, because the two questions are identical except for the last word.

It's a good thread idea, though. I've enjoyed reading the various responses.
    I don't think agreeing or disagreeing as important as the discussion of the distinction. For whatever reason, and I suspect it because of the polarizing extreme, I find it has its place in these questions (my two cents, likely worth little more than). I do find contrast helpful. For instance, both you and those who followed who might not self-identify as Christian, it has become a polarization, however, it does indeed reflect upon your particular views and to me, it seems TOL has indeed helped you soften toward the atheists' general direction - not a 'bad' thing, we can all use a little empathy, even toward enemies, the bible calls for some careful sense of it 'gentle as doves, wise as serpents' etc.

I think both 'religion' and 'atheism' from TH's pen, are more broad in stroke as well. I'd say I have no difference in my views between religion and atheism, though I certainly am more aware of legalism/religion than I'd been. I may tackle these questions, but need to be more thoughtful then provoking when I answer else it is just more that may be forgettable and unnecessary. A lot of these answers are representative that I don't feel a need to add repetition.
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Thanks

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Not to derail the thread too much but this is such an oxymoronic statement (not just espoused by you to be fair) that it needs to be addressed. If you hate something or someone then that involves passion, just as it does with its counterpart love. There are no illusions on the matter and you can't "not know" you're hating along with the reasons that prompt such a reaction, just the same as when you fall in love with or love someone. To say that atheists "hate God with every breath they take and don't know it to be fact" is simply nonsense. I'm presuming you're applying this to agnostics etc as well? The lack of belief in a deity isn't synonymous with hate. Atheists don't believer in a deity or the likelihood of one existing to hate.
    A definition of 'hate' is important here. I'd suggest you two understand it differently. Example: Indifference is also hate in my book (and others') etc.

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lon For Your Post:

musterion (May 27th, 2018),way 2 go (May 27th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Limit new threads to one per day per user.

This one is a great idea. Maybe let paying members have 2 or 3

Needs a couple "@mods"

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lon For Your Post:

Ask Mr. Religion (May 27th, 2018),Grosnick Marowbe (May 27th, 2018),musterion (May 27th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,440 Times in 11,259 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    A definition of 'hate' is important here.
    To leftists, anyone who disagrees with them is guilty of hate and therefore deserving of hatred.

Let me modify that: that statement is often true but I'm not sure every leftist on TOL is that far gone. However, a few of them are...a few of them CANNOT discuss most issues calmly, rationally and on the basis of facts alone. They're too emotionally invested. With hate.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

[most will be very surprised]

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

glorydaz (May 28th, 2018),Grosnick Marowbe (May 27th, 2018),Lon (May 27th, 2018),Tambora (June 8th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1. When you first arrived how much experience did you have with internet forums and were you surprised by what you encountered?

Not surprised at all. I'd seen it before elsewhere, worse than it is here. What did surprise me is what I saw inexplicably tolerated (but this is improving).

2. Is the person you appear to be an exaggeration of who you actually are, who you actually are, or is it unlike who you are in the real world?

WYSIWYG.

3. If you could change one thing about the way things are here what would it be?

Simplified house rules covering patterns of dishonest discussion (which amounts to a history of trolling) coupled with summary banishment for life and a publicly posted explanation why. Some say this would be too draconian and would quash discussion. I say that's nonsense; true discussion would flourish because only those who would hamper honest discussion and debate would inevitably be removed, for the good of everyone else. Examples: Patrick Jane and The Barbarian, both dishonest and TOL is better off without them.

See #3.

5. Have you changed ideologically or personally since you first arrived?

Not really. Some doctrinal clarifications and readjustments but that's about it.

Also an increased loathing of trolls, which was already considerable.

Mutual encouragement and edification with like-minded brethren. However, there are trolls who seek to disrupt exactly that community and they are the sole reason I regret coming to TOL some days.

7. Do you believe that anonymity has an overall liberating and/or negative effect on posters and posts here?

Of course it does, both. That's just human nature. But probably manifests itself more with some than others.

8. Has your exposure to the views found here contributed to your having a more/less favorable impression of religion?

There is nothing favorable about mere religion, which is rife on TOL.

9. Has your exposure to the views found here contributed to your having a more/less favorable impression of atheists?

It continues to substantiate what I already knew.

10. Are you more or less emphatic in your beliefs of in any particular belief you came to TOL with as a direct result of your time here?

No change. There are some things I think I understand more clearly but those are really just matters of detail.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

Ask Mr. Religion (May 27th, 2018),glorydaz (May 28th, 2018),Lon (May 28th, 2018),Tambora (June 8th, 2018),Town Heretic (May 27th, 2018)

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,003 Times in 4,985 Posts

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I don't think agreeing or disagreeing as important as the discussion of the distinction. For whatever reason, and I suspect it because of the polarizing extreme, I find it has its place in these questions (my two cents, likely worth little more than). I do find contrast helpful. For instance, both you and those who followed who might not self-identify as Christian, it has become a polarization, however, it does indeed reflect upon your particular views and to me, it seems TOL has indeed helped you soften toward the atheists' general direction - not a 'bad' thing, we can all use a little empathy, even toward enemies, the bible calls for some careful sense of it 'gentle as doves, wise as serpents' etc.
    I'm not sure how this bears on the disagreement between TH and me regarding the comparison between belief system and person when one is theistic and one is atheistic. I explained that earlier, and the disagreement remains a disagreement.

Also I consider myself a mostly non-practicing Catholic at the moment, so I chose "other" as a more timely label. That doesn't make me not a Christian, it's just that I don't identify with any another Christian label, and unfortunately the software forces a choice from a preset list. Again though, I don't see how this bears on the conversation between myself and TH.
    So keep your candles burning

a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Lon (May 28th, 2018)

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,603 Times in 7,735 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Quite a lot. Been admin on some, banned from others. Never both at one.

"Surprised" wouldn't describe my reaction to TOL.

This is the real world.

How I act on TOL is pretty much how I'd act on any Internet forum.

A couple of forum features need tweaking, otherwise, not much.

No.

5. Have you changed ideologically or personally since you first arrived and if so did TOL play a role in that change? If yes, then how dramatic or slight was the change?
    Yes. Dramatic.

I didn't get banned permanently.

No.

Less favourable.

Less favourable.

More.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    I8
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Ask Mr. Religion (May 27th, 2018),glorydaz (May 28th, 2018),JudgeRightly (May 27th, 2018),Lon (May 28th, 2018),Tambora (June 8th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed Theist View Post
    "To say that atheists "hate God with every breath they take and don't know it to be fact" is simply nonsense."*clap clap*
    Atheists hate God with every breath they take and don't know it.

E≈mc2
    Bad to swallow you whole

-Bob B.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Ask Mr. Religion (May 27th, 2018),musterion (May 28th, 2018),Tambora (June 8th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,775 Times in 4,499 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    This is the real world. How I act on TOL is pretty much how I'd act on any Internet forum.
    That's one way not to answer a question.

In any event, I appreciate the questions you did answer.

You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

annabenedetti (May 28th, 2018),quip (May 28th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    That's one way not to answer a question. In any event, I appreciate the questions you did answer.
    Maybe your question needs rewording.

E≈mc2
    Bad to swallow you whole

-Bob B.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Tambora (June 8th, 2018)

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Atheists hate God with every breath they take and don't know it.

Atheist is auto-logical and comes from atheos, which translates accurately into English as without Theos. The person is without (Theos) Elohim because Elohim has left them in that condition. Agnostic means without knowledge and the person is without saving knowledge because, it has not been given to them.

The term atheist is only used once in scripture and that by Paul.
    I know Him, correctly, as Messiah whom you call Christ. Yah Shua whom you call Jesus. Messianists who you call Christians.

"Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm".

I refuse, point blank, to speak peace to the unregenerate, hypocrites, religious dogma lovers and those that oppose the following statement:
    A regenerate man trusts in the evangelism of salvation conditioned on the atoning blood and imputed justness of Messiah alone.
    If you are fully persuaded, by experience, of this delightful, beautiful and life giving doctrine then I love you as a brother.

Anyone who thinks that salvation is conditioned on anything a man thinks, does or says is atheist. I cannot and will not speak peace to him or her.

I don't make statements online that I wouldn't repeat in front of my Maker, my grandmother or a judge.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Truster View Post
    the person is without saving knowledge because, it has not been given to them.
    Congratulations on denying God's grace and making Him the author of their unbelief.

The Lake of Fire awaits blasphemers like you.
    Terence Mc Lean

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

glorydaz (May 28th, 2018),Tambora (June 8th, 2018)

Thread Information