User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Love your neighbor as yourself.

  1. #1
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    14,354
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 625 Times in 578 Posts

    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    101817

    Love your neighbor as yourself.

    Shalom.

    Today is Shlishli, Ziv 2.

    It is evening, erev. It is night, laylah.

    Love your neighbor as yourself.

    Your fellow Israelite.
    Your fellow Jew.
    Your fellow Countryman.

    When you love beyond your nation's boundaries or borders you are dealing with the affairs of nations.

    So love your fellow man.

    Shalom.

    Jacob
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning created He God the heavens and the earth

  2. #2
    Over 3000 post club beameup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3,335
    Thanks
    344
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 889 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    165185
    "thou shall love thy neighbor" was prophetic in nature.
    Under the Kingship/Priesthood of Messiah, all Israelis
    shall literally "love their neighbor as themselves",
    because all Israel shall have a "new heart" and no one
    shall lack because of the fertility of the land.

    Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. - Exodus 19:5-6a

  3. #3
    Over 500 post club Bradley D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Llorente, E. Samar Philippines
    Posts
    731
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 232 Times in 157 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    162453
    “And who is my neighbor?” (Luke 10:29)

  4. #4
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    14,354
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 625 Times in 578 Posts

    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    101817
    Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    "thou shall love thy neighbor" was prophetic in nature.
    Under the Kingship/Priesthood of Messiah, all Israelis
    shall literally "love their neighbor as themselves",
    because all Israel shall have a "new heart" and no one
    shall lack because of the fertility of the land.

    Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. - Exodus 19:5-6a
    You have an interesting response here. You say that the commandment is prophetic in nature. I do not know why you say this. Certainly we must all obey God in this, meaning in obedience to His commandment (here) to love one's neighbor as one's self. I also, however, do not know what you mean by a new heart and how you are applying that no one shall lack because of the fertility of the land. Great Scripture (Exodus 19:5-6a).
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning created He God the heavens and the earth

  5. #5
    Over 3000 post club beameup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3,335
    Thanks
    344
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 889 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    165185
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    You have an interesting response here. You say that the commandment is prophetic in nature. I do not know why you say this. Certainly we must all obey God in this, meaning in obedience to His commandment (here) to love one's neighbor as one's self. I also, however, do not know what you mean by a new heart and how you are applying that no one shall lack because of the fertility of the land. Great Scripture (Exodus 19:5-6a).
    Have you not read Jeremiah's prophecy? (or do you even believe in "prophecy")?
    Why is it you think all these things are possible in this present era?
    Do you not know that when Messiah returns, He will establish his Kingdom?
    The nature of Israel is one of the sin of rejecting their Messiah. They are
    incapable of "loving their neighbor as themselves". They have an evil, stony heart.

    Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
    But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my LAW in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
    - Jeremiah 31:31-34

  6. #6
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    14,354
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 625 Times in 578 Posts

    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    101817
    Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    Have you not read Jeremiah's prophecy? (or do you even believe in "prophecy")?
    Why is it you think all these things are possible in this present era?
    Do you not know that when Messiah returns, He will establish his Kingdom?
    The nature of Israel is one of the sin of rejecting their Messiah. They are
    incapable of "loving their neighbor as themselves". They have an evil, stony heart.

    Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
    But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my LAW in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
    - Jeremiah 31:31-34
    I believe that the New Covenant came in Yeshua Messiah, Yeshua HaMashiach.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning created He God the heavens and the earth

  7. #7
    Over 3000 post club beameup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3,335
    Thanks
    344
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 889 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    165185
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I believe that the New Covenant came in Yeshua Messiah, Yeshua HaMashiach.
    Yes, but His sacrifice was rejected by Israel, so it became of no effect.
    However, according to Jeremiah, Israel will have an awakening, realize
    their error, and "all Israel will be saved" (see Romans 11:26).
    Reading Romans ch. 9-11 might be enlightening.

  8. #8
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    14,354
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 625 Times in 578 Posts

    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    101817
    Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    Yes, but His sacrifice was rejected by Israel, so it became of no effect.
    However, according to Jeremiah, Israel will have an awakening, realize
    their error, and "all Israel will be saved" (see Romans 11:26).
    Reading Romans ch. 9-11 might be enlightening.
    I disagree with you.

    The early church was entirely Jewish. I believe you have a misunderstanding of Romans 11:26 somehow, maybe in relation to your idea about Israel rejecting Jesus. I would not use the word awakening, or say that they will realize their error (did you mean this as a fulfillment of Romans 11:26 or the scripture quoted there or from there?).
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning created He God the heavens and the earth

  9. #9
    Over 3000 post club beameup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3,335
    Thanks
    344
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 889 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    165185
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I disagree with you.

    The early church was entirely Jewish. I believe you have a misunderstanding of Romans 11:26 somehow, maybe in relation to your idea about Israel rejecting Jesus. I would not use the word awakening, or say that they will realize their error (did you mean this as a fulfillment of Romans 11:26 or the scripture quoted there or from there?).
    Obviously you have a shortage of understanding Romans ch. 9-11. If you have been misled by false-doctrine, then you will have great difficulty understanding Romans 9-11, as it will conflict with your new-found beliefs. The largest topic, by far, in the Tanakh is unfulfilled prophecy.

  10. #10
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    14,354
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 625 Times in 578 Posts

    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    101817
    Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    Obviously you have a shortage of understanding Romans ch. 9-11. If you have been misled by false-doctrine, then you will have great difficulty understanding Romans 9-11, as it will conflict with your new-found beliefs. The largest topic, by far, in the Tanakh is unfulfilled prophecy.
    No. I have been through this. And I am not reformed. I am also not a dispensationalist. I converted to Judaism. I am a proselyte to and of Israel.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning created He God the heavens and the earth

  11. #11
    Over 3000 post club beameup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3,335
    Thanks
    344
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 889 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    165185
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    No. I have been through this. And I am not reformed. I am also not a dispensationalist. I converted to Judaism. I am a proselyte to and of Israel.
    Perhaps you have a misunderstand of the term "dispensationalist", or have been given a wrong definition.
    The Greek word used in the Pauline Epistles is οἰκονομία oikonomía and simply means administration or organization. In Paul's Epistles he refers to two "oikonomía" but there are additional "oikonomía" - the way God organizes/administers the earth.

    The ultimate "oikonomía" is the "fullness of times" (ie: eternity): That in the "oikonomia" of the fullness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: - Ephesians 1:10

    Presently, we are in the "oikonomia" of the Grace of God: If ye have heard of the "oikonomia" of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward - Ephesians 3:2

    Prior to this present "oikonomia" of the Grace of God, God's organization/administration was accomplished by the Law of Moses through Israel. Hence, Jesus says that He has come not to abolish the Law, but to fulfill it. This he did by never violating the Law of Moses (ie: being sinless).

  12. #12
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    14,354
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 625 Times in 578 Posts

    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    101817
    Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    Perhaps you have a misunderstand of the term "dispensationalist", or have been given a wrong definition.
    The Greek word used in the Pauline Epistles is οἰκονομία oikonomía and simply means administration or organization. In Paul's Epistles he refers to two "oikonomía" but there are additional "oikonomía" - the way God organizes/administers the earth.

    The ultimate "oikonomía" is the "fullness of times" (ie: eternity): That in the "oikonomia" of the fullness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: - Ephesians 1:10

    Presently, we are in the "oikonomia" of the Grace of God: If ye have heard of the "oikonomia" of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward - Ephesians 3:2

    Prior to this present "oikonomia" of the Grace of God, God's organization/administration was accomplished by the Law of Moses through Israel. Hence, Jesus says that He has come not to abolish the Law, but to fulfill it. This he did by never violating the Law of Moses (ie: being sinless).
    I do not know Greek but I believe that you are incorrect. Also, do you know about the Law and the Prophets?
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning created He God the heavens and the earth

  13. #13
    Over 3000 post club beameup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3,335
    Thanks
    344
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 889 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    165185
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I do not know Greek but I believe that you are incorrect. Also, do you know about the Law and the Prophets?
    I quoted Scripture. What is it that you don't understand? It seems pretty clear what Paul is teaching. There are many free digital Bibles available and they often have the Greek words available within the text. Anyone familiar with digital Bibles should know this and you don't have to know Koine Greek.
    That's why I can say that you are ignorant because you stated that I'm incorrect.
    The oikonomia of the LAW is gone, another oikonomia has taken its place... the oikonomia of GRACE.
    Perhaps you didn't get the message.

  14. #14
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    14,354
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 625 Times in 578 Posts

    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    101817
    Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    I quoted Scripture. What is it that you don't understand? It seems pretty clear what Paul is teaching. There are many free digital Bibles available and they often have the Greek words available within the text. Anyone familiar with digital Bibles should know this and you don't have to know Koine Greek.
    That's why I can say that you are ignorant because you stated that I'm incorrect.
    The oikonomia of the LAW is gone, another oikonomia has taken its place... the oikonomia of GRACE.
    Perhaps you didn't get the message.
    Incorrect. What you are saying is what I disagree with.

    The reason I spoke of not knowing Greek is because you referenced Greek. However, the word administration is found in the Bible. Dispensation. Not dispensationalism or dispensationalist.

    You say that there was Law and now there is Grace. That is incorrect.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning created He God the heavens and the earth

  15. #15
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    11,483
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 513 Times in 464 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    93973
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Shalom.

    Today is Shlishli, Ziv 2.

    It is evening, erev. It is night, laylah.

    Love your neighbor as yourself.

    Your fellow Israelite.
    Your fellow Jew.
    Your fellow Countryman.

    When you love beyond your nation's boundaries or borders you are dealing with the affairs of nations.

    So love your fellow man.

    Shalom.

    Jacob
    I said
    Can you define love with the Word?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us