Thread: Passing Along a Little Bit of Biblical Understanding

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Passing Along a Little Bit of Biblical Understanding

Why is it sometimes so hard to understand God’s word. Let us just look at two Hebrew words that are understood differently by people and how we can be assured as to the true meaning.

‘Thousand’ in Hebrew is

‘'eleph
    eh'-lef
    Properly the same as H504; hence (an ox’s head being the first letter of the alphabet, and this eventually used as a numeral) a thousand: - thousand.
    Most of the time when thousand is used it means one thousand unless it is qualified by a specific number.
    Psa 50:10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.
    In this case we know that our Lord owns every beast of the forest and every cattle upon all the hills, not just one thousand hills.

So unless a qualifier is used we don’t really know the exact number.

2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Sometimes a ‘day’ is not twenty-four hours but thousands. We know here it is one thousand because we have a qualifier in the fact that Adam died at the age of 930 years.

Gen 5:5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
    In the above there can be controversy unless there is a qualifier as to an actual amount. Some times we just don’t know.
    A day could be 24 hours or thousands of years. God could have created the heavens and earth in 24 hour days or thousands of years, we can only surmise.

Another Hebrew word that needs a qualifier is:
    'ĕlôhı̂ym
    el-o-heem'
    Plural of H433; gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of the supreme God; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a superlative: - angels, X exceeding, God (gods) (-dess, -ly), X (very) great, judges, X mighty
    Eloheem, in Hebrew is plural and could apply to other spirits known as angels. To be singler we again need a qualifier. Otherwise we must assume singular or plural on out own.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    We have assume in this scripture it is speaking of the one supreme God.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    This time it appears that one God said to the other Gods that they should make man in their image.

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
    Again there is no qualifier.

The way to be sure that the bible is speaking as one God is when his name precedes Elohim.

Gen 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
    When Moses wrote the word of God would qualify the God he was writing about with the name of his God. His name is Jehovah but because he would not write his Holy name he would substitute the word ‘LORD’.
    This is the qualifier and you can be sure it is speaking of the One and only God of Israel.

I listened to a Theologian one time say “My wife, who is Jew, said there are many Gods but only one Jehovah God”

I pray that this info will help some.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to iamaberean For Your Post:

patrick jane (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iamaberean View Post
    Why is it sometimes so hard to understand God’s word. Let us just look at two Hebrew words that are understood differently by people and how we can be assured as to the true meaning.

‘Thousand’ in Hebrew is

‘'eleph
    eh'-lef
    Properly the same as H504; hence (an ox’s head being the first letter of the alphabet, and this eventually used as a numeral) a thousand: - thousand.
    Most of the time when thousand is used it means one thousand unless it is qualified by a specific number.
    Psa 50:10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.
    In this case we know that our Lord owns every beast of the forest and every cattle upon all the hills, not just one thousand hills.

So unless a qualifier is used we don’t really know the exact number.

2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Sometimes a ‘day’ is not twenty-four hours but thousands. We know here it is one thousand because we have a qualifier in the fact that Adam died at the age of 930 years.

Gen 5:5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
    In the above there can be controversy unless there is a qualifier as to an actual amount. Some times we just don’t know.
    A day could be 24 hours or thousands of years. God could have created the heavens and earth in 24 hour days or thousands of years, we can only surmise.

I pray that this info will help some.
    well lets see if you are helpful or not .

God gave us the "qualifier" of evening and morning in Genesis chapter 1

Gen 1:5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.

the earth rotates which is how we get evening and morning

1 rotation of the earth = 1 day

so we are able to surmise the length of the day in Gen 1:5 is 1 rotation of the earth

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to way 2 go For Your Post:

genuineoriginal (April 16th, 2018),jamie (April 15th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A thousand seems to indicate a long period of time or things. Just as a trillion does in our world today. When used in a time sense it indicates that time for God is infinite. Whereas time for us is finite. Some people where/are looking for the end times. I believe even Paul expected the end time to come during his life time. But Peter used Isaiah's prophecy of a thousand years just being one day to God to explain no one knows the time. To live each day as if it could be the last.

I read that 'ĕlôhı̂ym could also represent the many attributes of God.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley D View Post
    A thousand seems to indicate a long period of time or things. Just as a trillion does in our world today. When used in a time sense it indicates that time for God is infinite. Whereas time for us is finite. Some people where/are looking for the end times. I believe even Paul expected the end time to come during his life time. But Peter used Isaiah's prophecy of a thousand years just being one day to God to explain no one knows the time. To live each day as if it could be the last.

I read that 'ĕlôhı̂ym could also represent the many attributes of God.
    Yes, Paul was expecting the endtime to come.

This is another part of the correct interpetation of God’s word.

Audience relevance:

As we read the Bible we must read it with understanding.

1. It was not written to us but is for our information. Part of that information is how to live our life for God but when Paul or Jesus speaks of prophecy it was prophecy given to the children of Israel. So we must accept that Jesus did return in their generation, just as He said he would

2. Paul spoke and wrote many times to the Jews in the area. They would understand properly what he was saying. It is sort of like your Dad writting a letter to you. Other people might read it, but if he said he was coming to see you then that doesn’t mean he was comeing to see whoever reads the letter.

3. As we read the New Testament we also see Jesus, while here on earth, came to his own children. He even told his disciples that some of them would still be alive when he returned.

Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iamaberean View Post
    Yes, Paul was expecting the endtime to come.

This is another part of the correct interpetation of God’s word.

Audience relevance:

As we read the Bible we must read it with understanding.

1. It was not written to us but is for our information. Part of that information is how to live our life for God but when Paul or Jesus speaks of prophecy it was prophecy given to the children of Israel. So we must accept that Jesus did return in their generation, just as He said he would

no, Jesus has not returned .
    2. Paul spoke and wrote many times to the Jews in the area. They would understand properly what he was saying. It is sort of like your Dad writting a letter to you. Other people might read it, but if he said he was coming to see you then that doesn’t mean he was comeing to see whoever reads the letter.
    2Ti_3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
    3. As we read the New Testament we also see Jesus, while here on earth, came to his own children. He even told his disciples that some of them would still be alive when he returned.

Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

no.

Joh 21:23 So the saying spread abroad among the brothers that this disciple was not to die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he was not to die, but, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?”

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by way 2 go View Post

no, Jesus has not returned .

2Ti_3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

no.

Joh 21:23 So the saying spread abroad among the brothers that this disciple was not to die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he was not to die, but, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?”

From the Old Testament it speaks of Messiah coming in judgment. The time frame was given to Daniel and that pointed to the time Jesus came. God told Daniel that he would stand with his people on judgment day.

Dan 12:13 But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.

Jesus told his disciples that when they saw Jerusalem surrounded by armies then they would know that all things written (Old Testament prophecies) would be fulfilled.

Luk 21:20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

Luk 21:22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

When one reads the words of God, one either believes God or they have their faith in man. Jerusalem was destroyed, we know that from history. But we didn’t see the judgment because that was spiritual. The dead would rise, and that means that they did and the last days of Law were over.

Joh 11:23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
    Joh 11:24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

The last days for the evil people here on earth today appears to be explained in the parables of Jesus. He speaks of the tares (evil ones) growing in the field with the wheat (Christians) and and at some point in time the field will be harvested and the wheat will be put in barns (God’s protected place here on earth) and the tares will be burned. The only ones left here on earth will be the Christians. Christians will not be judged, for they have believed. Jesus said:

Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Mat 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Thread Information