User Tag List

Page 5 of 118 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 1765

Thread: Isn't it reasonable to doubt Young Earth Creationism?

  1. #61
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,277
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    A link to evidence, which you are trying extremely hard to ignore.
    What evidence? You still haven't said. Maybe you should quote the bit you mean.

    The article linked above in this comment does.
    I'm quite impressed by your persistence. You cannot tell me a single point that I should look for in that website, but you are maintaining that there is something in there.

    What one point disproves a 4.54 billion year old earth, and how does it do it?

    Stuart

  2. #62
    Over 4000 post club Jose Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,252
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 611 Times in 440 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    196948
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    Lumping flat-earthers in with the rest of Biblical creationists is an insult to Biblical creationists.
    They're basically the same....faith-based denial of long-established science.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Fly For Your Post:

    Greg Jennings (April 1st, 2018)

  4. #63
    Gold level Subscriber JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    6,860
    Thanks
    21,314
    Thanked 6,136 Times in 3,903 Posts

    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147595
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
    Well yes, most christian festivals are pagan holidays that have been assimilated.

    But what I really mean is the ridiculousness of believing that a man walked again after he had been executed by the Romans,
    The only one that's important, especially today:

    That Christ rose from the dead.

    Stuart, the best way to determine if Christianity is the correct religion? Is it's founder still in the grave?

    I guarantee that if you were to go to the Garden tomb in Jerusalem today, you could go in and see that the tomb is indeed empty.

    or that someone could be born of only one parent,
    Born of a virgin, that's what the Bible says. Maybe you should read how that occurred...

    or could walk on the surface of water,
    Called a miracle, something that cannot be explained within the bounds of the universe.

    or that you can know anything of what Jesus said,
    The Bible is a good record of what He said...

    or know anything about his childhood when there are no eyewitness accounts for anything that Jesus did.
    Why is this an issue?

    If you believe that list, you will believe anything.

    Stuart
    I could provide a list of things from the Big Bang camp that if you believe them, you could believe anything...

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

    jsanford108 (April 6th, 2018),Tambora (April 4th, 2018)

  6. #64
    Over 4000 post club Jose Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,252
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 611 Times in 440 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    196948
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
    So while I agree with you about people being turned off by nonsense, there may also be a way to rehabilitate the fraudsters by destroying the nonsense and embracing the good.
    While it's always possible, it's also extremely rare. As the data shows, the change is occurring not via individual conversion, but by generational replacement.

  7. #65
    Gold level Subscriber JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    6,860
    Thanks
    21,314
    Thanked 6,136 Times in 3,903 Posts

    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147595
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Fly View Post
    They're basically the same....faith-based denial of long-established science.
    One is founded on conspiracies, one is founded on evidence.

    [sarcasm]Yeah, they're the same.[/sarcasm]

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

    jsanford108 (April 6th, 2018),Tambora (April 4th, 2018)

  9. #66
    Over 4000 post club Jose Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,252
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 611 Times in 440 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    196948
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
    You cannot tell me a single point that I should look for in that website, but you are maintaining that there is something in there.
    Years ago, a creationist linked to an article about human/chimp genetic data from that site. I responded by pointing out several errors, which prompted the creationist to challenge me to email the site directly. I did, and guess how they responded? They literally said "The Bible is either the word of God or it isn't".

    That's should tell you all you need to know about the site.

  10. #67
    Over 4000 post club Jose Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,252
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 611 Times in 440 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    196948
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    One is founded on conspiracies, one is founded on evidence.
    So what's your explanation for why the world's earth scientists have concluded that the earth is ancient for well over 200 years?

  11. #68
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,277
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    That Christ rose from the dead.
    Humans don't walk again after being successfully executed. It has never happened, and it will never happen. It would be perverse to deny that, so christianity is perverse.
    Stuart, the best way to determine if Christianity is the correct religion? Is it's founder still in the grave? I guarantee that if you were to go to the Garden tomb in Jerusalem today, you could go in and see that the tomb is indeed empty.
    There are many empty tombs. I could build one for you, if you like. Then, who shall I claim isn't in it? You see how christianity is absurd? It makes you believe that this is a valid way to think about the problem.

    And, what if no religion is 'correct'? After all, that is what you believe about every other religion. Why should this branch of Abrahamism be any different?
    Born of a virgin, that's what the Bible says. Maybe you should read how that occurred...
    It doesn't say. There are many reasons why humans need two biological parents, and there is no explanation for how a non-diploid zygote could implant and produce a viable embryo in any of the gospels, not even in Mark.
    Called a miracle, something that cannot be explained within the bounds of the universe.
    So once you have accepted the nonsense of walking again after execution, you are further softened up with a whole list of absurdities...none of which are mentioned by Paul, the one writer who lived closest to the time of the 'miracles'.

    What you are doing is called special pleading, and I can specially plead just as well. I specially plead that christianity is all lies. So we are even in our claims.
    The Bible is a good record of what He said...
    Because you say so?

    Stuu: ...or know anything about his childhood when there are no eyewitness accounts for anything that Jesus did.
    Why is this an issue?
    Because you are claiming a narrative as history, so it is important to analyse as a good historian would. Your claim is hearsay, which historically is of very low quality. The best points about it are that Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist, which is better quality if you think about why christians would report on the removal of sins from the one who was sinless, and it is reasonable (but not certain) from triangulating various claims of christians that Jesus was actually executed by crucifixion. The rest is unreliable, to put it mildly.
    I could provide a list of things from the Big Bang camp that if you believe them, you could believe anything...
    Go on then.

    Stuart

  12. #69
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,277
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    One is founded on conspiracies, one is founded on evidence.
    JF is right. Both are pseudoscience. They are lies dressed up in the language of science.

    Stuart

  13. #70
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,277
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Fly View Post
    Years ago, a creationist linked to an article about human/chimp genetic data from that site. I responded by pointing out several errors, which prompted the creationist to challenge me to email the site directly. I did, and guess how they responded? They literally said "The Bible is either the word of God or it isn't".

    That's should tell you all you need to know about the site.
    Nice work.

    I suppose they were in the 'is' camp, and not the 'isn't' camp.

    Stuart

  14. #71
    Over 2500 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,713
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 414 Times in 321 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    250297
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
    200,000 years.

    Stuart
    Older, if you count non Homo sapiens

  15. #72
    Over 2500 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,713
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 414 Times in 321 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    250297
    Quote Originally Posted by 6days View Post
    Like before, you rely on hypothetical potential resolutions to support your house of cards. Explaining away the evidence is not science.
    How about you explain to me HOW sharks can survive on vegetation, as you've suggested on a sinless world? Don't give me "God can do it." If I said "evolution can do it" you'd throw a fit, and rightly so because that's not even an attempt at an explanation.

    So please EXPLAIN your theory as to how carnivores used to be able to process and live entirely off of plant matter?

  16. #73
    Over 2500 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,713
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 414 Times in 321 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    250297
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    Here's a piece of evidence that contradicts a 4.54 billion year old earth.

    http://kgov.com/carbon-14-and-dinosaur-bones
    JR, I think you've been made aware before that C-14 breaks down completely in less than 100,000 years. Nothing in the Bible disputes that. And thousands of individual scientists have confirmed it

    Do you see how you might not be able to accurately measure a millions year old fossil with that method? It's like breaking open a diamond to look for coal: that stuff is long gone

    You can't reject dating methods, then claim an improperly used dating method supports you. That's just silly

  17. #74
    Over 2500 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,713
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 414 Times in 321 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    250297
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Fly View Post
    What's truly funny is how with the above you seem to understand that bias in interpreting evidence is a bad thing. Yet you continue to employ an extremely biased framework yourself.
    It's simply astounding. Jesus hated (as much as Jesus could hate, anyway) hypocrites too. I guess 6 cherry-picked that part of his bible

  18. #75
    Over 2500 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,713
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 414 Times in 321 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    250297
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Fly View Post
    If some Christians want to run around telling everyone that to be a Christian you have to believe the earth is flat and only 6,000 years old, I say let 'em.
    I'd rather not let a few dullards tear down my religion

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us