User Tag List

Page 1 of 32 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Cor 4.4 (Jesus, The God of this age!)

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Cor 4.4 (Jesus, The God of this age!)

εν οις ο θεος του αιωνος τουτου ετυφλωσεν τα νοηματα των απιστων εις το μη αυγασαι τον φωτισμον του ευαγγελιου της δοξης του χριστου ος εστιν εικων του θεου

en hois ho Theos tou aiōnos toutou etyphlōsen ta noēmata tōn apistōn eis to mē augasai ton phōtismon tou euangeliou tēs doxes tou Christou hos estin eikōn tou Theou

In whom The God of this age has blinded the thoughts of the unbelieving, so that the brightness of the gospel of The Glory, The Christ who is the image of God, should not dawn on them. (2 Cor 4.4)

Contrary to popular modern belief, ‘The God of this age’, (ho Theos tou aiōnos toutou), actually pertains to Jesus Christ and NOT Satan, and provides yet another potent scriptural proof for Jesus’ deity.

Outside of 2 Cor 4.4, the only other inflections of ‘blinded’ (i.e. etyphlōsen & etyphlōken), used in the entire NT, are located in John 12, and 1 John 2, and have Jesus as the subject:

• John 12 records that Isaiah wrote about Jesus, ‘The Arm of God’, ‘His Glory’ as blinding the thoughts of the unbelievers.

• 1 John 2 records without Jesus’ light, the unbelievers are blinded.

Contextually, the epithets contained within 2 Cor 4, including Theos, relate to Jesus…not to Satan.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple7 For Your Post:

genuineoriginal (March 19th, 2018),glorydaz (March 19th, 2018)

Over 2500 post club KingdomRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple7 View Post
    εν οις ο θεος του αιωνος τουτου ετυφλωσεν τα νοηματα των απιστων εις το μη αυγασαι τον φωτισμον του ευαγγελιου της δοξης του χριστου ος εστιν εικων του θεου

en hois ho Theos tou aiōnos toutou etyphlōsen ta noēmata tōn apistōn eis to mē augasai ton phōtismon tou euangeliou tēs doxes tou Christou hos estin eikōn tou Theou

In whom The God of this age has blinded the thoughts of the unbelieving, so that the brightness of the gospel of The Glory, The Christ who is the image of God, should not dawn on them. (2 Cor 4.4)

Contrary to popular modern belief, ‘The God of this age’, (ho Theos tou aiōnos toutou), actually pertains to Jesus Christ and NOT Satan, and provides yet another potent scriptural proof for Jesus’ deity.

Outside of 2 Cor 4.4, the only other inflections of ‘blinded’ (i.e. etyphlōsen & etyphlōken), used in the entire NT, are located in John 12, and 1 John 2, and have Jesus as the subject:

• John 12 records that Isaiah wrote about Jesus, ‘The Arm of God’, ‘His Glory’ as blinding the thoughts of the unbelievers.

Contextually, the epithets contained within 2 Cor 4, including Theos, relate to Jesus…not to Satan.
    You are so unkind. What you say is disparaging to followers of Christ and, most importantly, to Jesus Christ who represented his Father on Earth, remaining faithful to God to the end of his human life on the planet. To say that he blinded the eyes of anyone is so far outside the realm of truth that it's upsetting to read and to think that anyone could say such a thing.

How does it really feel to verbally slap Jesus in the face?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KingdomRose For Your Post:

meshak (April 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingdomRose View Post
    You are so unkind. What you say is disparaging to followers of Christ and, most importantly, to Jesus Christ who represented his Father on Earth, remaining faithful to God to the end of his human life on the planet. To say that he blinded the eyes of anyone is so far outside the realm of truth that it's upsetting to read and to think that anyone could say such a thing.

You're NOT a Christian, so why worry about being 'offended'...?

Further, scripture supports my interpretation of this passage.

If you disagree, then speak to scripture to buttress your worldview....or admit that you cannot...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple7 For Your Post:

glorydaz (March 19th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,623 Times in 5,642 Posts

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So even though the LORD does not want any people to perish but yet He blinds the mind of people to the truth of the gospel?

Makes no sense to me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

7djengo7 (January 4th, 2019),KingdomRose (March 19th, 2018)

Over 2500 post club KingdomRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're NOT a Christian, so why worry about being 'offended'...?

Further, scripture supports my interpretation of this passage.

If you disagree, then speak to scripture to buttress your worldview....or admit that you cannot...
    Every scripture that refers to Jesus Christ depicts him as loving, kind, compassionate, empathetic, and dead-set on spreading his Father's loving thoughts and commands. The Bible says "GOD IS LOVE." (I John 4:8) If Jesus was mirroring his Father, and his Father is "love," how could Jesus possibly "blind the minds of the unbelievers" so that the glorious Good News about himself! would not shine through?

How could he possibly come to the earth to tell men the Good News of wonderful things to come, but then cause men to be blinded to what he was saying? I don't think you can buttress such a ridiculous idea.

On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,149 Posts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had always thought the "god of this world" was referring to Satan, but I can see now that it makes more sense for the phrase to be referring to God Himself.
    Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

Apple7 (March 20th, 2018),glorydaz (March 19th, 2018)

On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,149 Posts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To say that he blinded the eyes of anyone is so far outside the realm of truth that it's upsetting to read and to think that anyone could say such a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    So even though the LORD does not want any people to perish but yet He blinds the mind of people to the truth of the gospel?
    How could he possibly come to the earth to tell men the Good News of wonderful things to come, but then cause men to be blinded to what he was saying?
    What did Jesus Himself say about the matter?

Matthew 13:13-15
    13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
    14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
    15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

13. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 37,938 Times in 18,963 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    I had always thought the "god of this world" was referring to Satan, but I can see now that it makes more sense for the phrase to be referring to God Himself.
    Same here, but I didn't really think about the Jews being blinded when I read that verse. In fact, it always bothered me that it seemed to be saying that satan had that power.

Isaiah, though, points to this very thing.

Isaiah 6:9-10 And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not. 10 Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.

Same with the parables...

Matthew 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Same with the verse that @DAN P keeps posting about the veil...

2 Cor. 3:13-14 And not as Moses, which put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: 14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

Apple7 (March 20th, 2018),genuineoriginal (March 19th, 2018),Tambora (April 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You "slap Jesus is the face" when you call Him "a god" in your Bible.

I don't suppose you're allowed to read Isaiah chapter 6, are you?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

7djengo7 (January 4th, 2019),Apple7 (March 20th, 2018),Tambora (April 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post

Makes no sense to me.
    The Jews who had rejected Him time and time again.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

Apple7 (March 20th, 2018),Tambora (April 14th, 2018)

Over 5000 post club 1Mind1Spirit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,121 Posts

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looks to me like the spirit of Christ, that was in Isaiah, was testifying about His Father.

39 For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere:
    “He (Father) has blinded their eyes
    and hardened their hearts,
    so they can neither see with their eyes,
    nor understand with their hearts,
    nor turn—and I (Christ) would heal them.”[i]

My added parenthesis.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 1Mind1Spirit For Your Post:

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Mind1Spirit View Post
    Looks to me like the spirit of Christ, that was in Isaiah, was testifying about His Father.

39 For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere:
    “He (Father) has blinded their eyes
    and hardened their hearts,
    so they can neither see with their eyes,
    nor understand with their hearts,
    nor turn—and I (Christ) would heal them.”[i]

My added parenthesis.
    Isaiah is full of scripture that speak of the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, but notice what Isaiah says here.... "Who will go for US?"

Isaiah 6:8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

1Mind1Spirit (March 19th, 2018),Apple7 (March 20th, 2018),Tambora (April 14th, 2018)

Over 5000 post club 1Mind1Spirit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,121 Posts

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Isaiah is full of scripture that speak of the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, but notice what Isaiah says here.... "Who will go for US?"

Isaiah 6:8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.
    The son of God.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Mind1Spirit View Post
    The son of God.
    The second person of our Triune God.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post: