User Tag List

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 190

Thread: Hello, Fundies! :)

  1. #31
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    17,208
    Thanks
    304
    Thanked 10,304 Times in 7,589 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147824
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003cobra View Post
    I used to be a six-day fundamentalist. Then I read the Bible and realized that it specifically contradicts that position.Have you noticed that there are two creation stories with different orders, methods, and time periods of creation? They also have different conclusions.The first is Genesis 1.1-2.4a, which has:Order plants, animals, man and womanMethod - God told the earth to bring forth plants and animalsTime period six daysConclusion man is to rule over and be the steward of natureThe second begins in Genesis 2.4b, which has:Order man, plants, animals, and womanMethod - God formed with His handsTime period one dayConclusion man is be dedicated to his wife, as she is the perfect partner designed by GodThe fact that there are two radically different creation stories in the first two chapters of Genesis is proof from the Bible that we are not to take these stories as literal history. Fundamentalists rarely read the second creation story, and if they do, they ignore what it actually says.


    Darwinists.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    George Affleck (March 16th, 2018),Lon (March 18th, 2018)

  3. #32
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,098 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501710
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003cobra View Post
    I used to be a six-day fundamentalist. Then I read the Bible and realized that it specifically contradicts that position.

    Have you noticed that there are two creation stories with different orders, methods, and time periods of creation? They also have different conclusions.

    The first is Genesis 1.1-2.4a, which has:
    Order plants, animals, man and woman
    Method - God told the earth to bring forth plants and animals
    Time period six days
    Conclusion man is to rule over and be the steward of nature

    The second begins in Genesis 2.4b, which has:
    Order man, plants, animals, and woman
    Method - God formed with His hands
    Time period one day
    Conclusion man is be dedicated to his wife, as she is the perfect partner designed by God

    The fact that there are two radically different creation stories in the first two chapters of Genesis is proof from the Bible that we are not to take these stories as literal history.

    Fundamentalists rarely read the second creation story, and if they do, they ignore what it actually says.
    You are mistaken, there is only one creation story and you don't know how to read very well if you think there are two.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    George Affleck (March 16th, 2018)

  5. #33
    Over 1000 post club
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 194 Times in 155 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    5175
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    You are mistaken, there is only one creation story and you don't know how to read very well if you think there are two.
    You are denying what the text says, but that is a common problem with fundamentalists.

  6. #34
    Over 1000 post club
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 194 Times in 155 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    5175
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post


    Darwinists.
    I am a Christian. You simply deny what the text says.

  7. #35
    Get your armor ready! Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    50,955
    Thanks
    158,834
    Thanked 46,467 Times in 28,672 Posts

    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148169
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003cobra View Post
    I used to be a six-day fundamentalist. Then I read the Bible and realized that it specifically contradicts that position.

    Have you noticed that there are two creation stories with different orders, methods, and time periods of creation? They also have different conclusions.

    The first is Genesis 1.1-2.4a, which has:
    Order — plants, animals, man and woman
    Method - God told the earth to bring forth plants and animals
    Time period — six days
    Conclusion — man is to rule over and be the steward of nature

    The second begins in Genesis 2.4b, which has:
    Order — man, plants, animals, and woman
    Method - God formed with His hands
    Time period — one day
    Conclusion — man is be dedicated to his wife, as she is the perfect partner designed by God

    The fact that there are two radically different creation stories in the first two chapters of Genesis is proof from the Bible that we are not to take these stories as literal history.

    Fundamentalists rarely read the second creation story, and if they do, they ignore what it actually says.
    Which one was the ancestor of Cain, Abel, and Seth?
    And who were the descendants of the other guy GOD created?

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tambora For Your Post:

    George Affleck (March 16th, 2018)

  9. #36
    Over 1000 post club
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 194 Times in 155 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    5175
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Which one was the ancestor of Cain, Abel, and Seth?
    And who were the descendants of the other guy GOD created?
    They are not meant to be taken as literal history.

  10. #37
    Get your armor ready! Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    50,955
    Thanks
    158,834
    Thanked 46,467 Times in 28,672 Posts

    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148169
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003cobra View Post
    They are not meant to be taken as literal history.
    So you are just saying that GOD created two imaginary men that never existed.
    You're loony and you need to stop telling folks that you know anything about the bible, because you don't.

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tambora For Your Post:

    way 2 go (March 18th, 2018)

  12. #38
    Over 1000 post club
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 194 Times in 155 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    5175
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    So you are just saying that GOD created two imaginary men that never existed.
    You're loony and you need to stop telling folks that you know anything about the bible, because you don't.
    No. Why would you make up such falsehoods?

    The first creation story is there for a purpose. Its moral is that man is the guardian and steward of nature:

    God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.” 29 God said, “See, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food. 30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. 31 God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.


    The second creation story is there for a purpose. Its moral is that man is to be faithful and dedicated to his wife:

    Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh.


    The first is about man’s relationship to the earth. The second is about man’s relationship to his wife.

    There was not a literal good Samaritan who travelled the road to Jericho and rescued the beaten man. Jesus did not say “this is a story.” He said:

    “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan while traveling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, ‘Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.’ 36 Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?” 37 He said, “The one who showed him mercy.” Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”


    If you declare the first creation story is literal history, then you contradict the second creation story. The two stories have different orders and methods of creation.

    If you fall into the error of “if it doesn’t say it’s a story, then it’s literal history,” then you have forced an erroneous interpretation method onto a text that is incompatible with your interpretation method.

    Feel free to deny what the text says, if you can justify that in your mind, but an honest reading of the early chapters of Genesis rebukes your position.

  13. #39
    Get your armor ready! Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    50,955
    Thanks
    158,834
    Thanked 46,467 Times in 28,672 Posts

    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148169
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003cobra View Post
    No. Why would you make up such falsehoods?
    Simple.
    Because you said it wasn't history.

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tambora For Your Post:

    way 2 go (March 18th, 2018)

  15. #40
    Over 1000 post club
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 194 Times in 155 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    5175
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Simple.
    Because you said it wasn't history.
    You made up a falsehood about me, misstating my position, because I made a truthful statement?

    You should reconsider such actions.

  16. #41
    Get your armor ready! Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    50,955
    Thanks
    158,834
    Thanked 46,467 Times in 28,672 Posts

    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148169
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003cobra View Post
    You made up a falsehood about me, misstating my position, because I made a truthful statement?

    You should reconsider such actions.
    Were the two different men that you say were created in Gen 1 and Gen 2 real living breathing fellas, or not?????

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

  17. #42
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    17,208
    Thanks
    304
    Thanked 10,304 Times in 7,589 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147824
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003cobra View Post
    I am a Christian.
    Did someone say you weren't?
    You simply deny what the text says.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Lon (March 18th, 2018)

  19. #43
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,098 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501710
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003cobra View Post
    You are denying what the text says, but that is a common problem with fundamentalists.
    Genesis 1:1-2:3 is the story of creation, and focuses on what God did.
    Genesis 2:4-6 is a summary of the first five days of creation.
    Genesis 2:7-2:25 is a detailed account of God creating man and Gan Eden and focuses on man's place in God's creation.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    George Affleck (March 16th, 2018)

  21. #44
    TOL Subscriber George Affleck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Markham, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,513
    Thanks
    950
    Thanked 938 Times in 545 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    529342
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003cobra View Post
    There was not a literal good Samaritan who travelled the road to Jericho and rescued the beaten man.
    How do you know this?
    Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

  22. #45
    Over 1000 post club
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 194 Times in 155 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    5175
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Genesis 1:1-2:3 is the story of creation, and focuses on what God did.
    Genesis 2:4-6 is a summary of the first five days of creation.
    Genesis 2:7-2:25 is a detailed account of God creating man and Gan Eden and focuses on man's place in God's creation.
    In your reading of the text, the summary says man was created after the plants and the animals while the detailed account says man was formed before any plants or animals.

    That is better called a misreading or a denial of the text.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us