User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 190

Thread: Hello, Fundies! :)

  1. #1
    Rookie Vulcan Logician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 32 Times in 16 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    15267

    Hello, Fundies! :)

    Hi guys!

    I was referred here by Alpha, from AF.org. (It took me a while, but I'm finally here.)

    I am a nonbeliever. I am a member of several Christian forums and an atheist forum. I came in search of discussion with fundamentalists. There are fundies on every Christian forum, yes, but the population is dilute with those who accept evolution, the big bang etc., etc... I'm looking for "Six days is six days!" and "God stretched the light from Andromeda to Earth" hardcore, unapologetic fundamentalists with which to exchange dialogue.

    You'll find that I'm super respectful of others' beliefs, and (if I do happen to offend) I'm receptive to criticism on that account. I came here to discuss things--not to feel superior to anyone or score "in your face" points.

    I've read and appreciate much of the Bible, and I find the Gospels (particularly the Sermon on the Mount) morally compelling. Anyway, there's plenty of time to discuss these things elsewhere in the forums. See you in the threads!

    Vulcan

  2. #2
    Get your armor ready! Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    51,527
    Thanks
    160,695
    Thanked 46,914 Times in 28,969 Posts

    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148177
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan Logician View Post

    I was referred here by Alpha, from AF.org.
    Who?
    Never heard of him/her.

    We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
    They already know monsters exist.
    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tambora For Your Post:

    musterion (March 14th, 2018)

  4. #3
    Rookie Vulcan Logician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 32 Times in 16 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    15267
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Who?
    Never heard of him/her.
    If he wants to identify himself he can go ahead do it in this thread. I don't want to call him out. Besides, I don't know what his username is here. He's a conservative Christian I met on an atheist forum who recommended this site.

  5. #4
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    17,484
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 10,775 Times in 7,848 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147828
    Darwinists.

    Welcome.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    musterion (March 14th, 2018)

  7. #5
    Over 5000 post club marhig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,599
    Thanks
    1,996
    Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,887 Posts

    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    41291
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan Logician View Post
    Hi guys!

    I was referred here by Alpha, from AF.org. (It took me a while, but I'm finally here.)

    I am a nonbeliever. I am a member of several Christian forums and an atheist forum. I came in search of discussion with fundamentalists. There are fundies on every Christian forum, yes, but the population is dilute with those who accept evolution, the big bang etc., etc... I'm looking for "Six days is six days!" and "God stretched the light from Andromeda to Earth" hardcore, unapologetic fundamentalists with which to exchange dialogue.

    You'll find that I'm super respectful of others' beliefs, and (if I do happen to offend) I'm receptive to criticism on that account. I came here to discuss things--not to feel superior to anyone or score "in your face" points.

    I've read and appreciate much of the Bible, and I find the Gospels (particularly the Sermon on the Mount) morally compelling. Anyway, there's plenty of time to discuss these things elsewhere in the forums. See you in the threads!

    Vulcan
    Hiya!

    Can I ask you, why don't you believe in God? Have you ever believed?

    The reason I'm asking is because you say that you're on different Christian forums and I'm wondering why you are, if you don't believe in God? And why do you want to speak to only fundamentalists?

    I do believe in God and Christ, but I don't believe in the 6 days being literal so I guess that's me out of your chats

    Btw welcome

  8. #6
    Rookie Vulcan Logician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 32 Times in 16 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    15267
    Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
    Hiya!

    Can I ask you, why don't you believe in God? Have you ever believed?
    Sure, ask me anything! I was raised Catholic, so I believed when I was very young. I became an atheist in my teens, had a brief brush with Hinduism in my twenties, and now in my thirties, I simply find nonbelief more plausible.

    I don't believe in God, because it seems reasonable to conclude he's merely a myth that the ancients constructed to explain the world and keep order in their society. Yahweh isn't the only example of this. You have Zeus, Shiva, and others. Zeus makes the rain fall, Shiva maintains balance in the universe, Yahweh does it all. Whatever. None of them are real. At least, it seems reasonable to me to conclude this. Whether or not I'm wrong, doesn't that seem like a reasonable conclusion to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
    The reason I'm asking is because you say that you're on different Christian forums and I'm wondering why you are, if you don't believe in God? And why do you want to speak to only fundamentalists?
    Yeah, I'm open to speaking to anyone. Lol. I hang out in Christian forums for a few reasons: debate (I love debate!), discussion of scripture, to learn from people who hold different beliefs... but mostly I'm fascinated by religion. And I admire Christian morality (basic "love thy neighbor stuff). I think it's pretty powerful. Powerful enough to change the world, maybe, if its adherents actually took Jesus's teachings and parables seriously once in a while. If you've ever read Leo Tolstoy, you know what I admire about Christianity.

    Didn't mean to exclude non-fundamentalists. I'll chat with anyone. It's just that I love debate, and I'm most interested in crossing swords with them. I've lurked a bit here. Some of you guys are scrappy. I like that.

    Thanks for the welcome.

  9. #7
    LIFETIME MEMBER meshak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    14,015
    Thanks
    3,964
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,519 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan Logician View Post
    If you've ever read Leo Tolstoy, you know what I admire about Christianity.
    I have read about him and seems he was genuinely seeking to be true to God and Jesus.

    welcome
    If you want to be true to God and Jesus, abandon any kind of violence at all cost. By advocating any kind of violence, you are misrepresenting Christianity.

  10. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    33,403
    Thanks
    18,066
    Thanked 16,577 Times in 13,017 Posts

    Blog Entries
    32
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan Logician View Post
    Hi guys!

    I was referred here by Alpha, from AF.org. (It took me a while, but I'm finally here.)

    I am a nonbeliever. I am a member of several Christian forums and an atheist forum. I came in search of discussion with fundamentalists. There are fundies on every Christian forum, yes, but the population is dilute with those who accept evolution, the big bang etc., etc... I'm looking for "Six days is six days!" and "God stretched the light from Andromeda to Earth" hardcore, unapologetic fundamentalists with which to exchange dialogue.

    You'll find that I'm super respectful of others' beliefs, and (if I do happen to offend) I'm receptive to criticism on that account. I came here to discuss things--not to feel superior to anyone or score "in your face" points.

    I've read and appreciate much of the Bible, and I find the Gospels (particularly the Sermon on the Mount) morally compelling. Anyway, there's plenty of time to discuss these things elsewhere in the forums. See you in the threads!

    Vulcan
    You came to the right place to learn how foolish and delusional the big bang and the 57 theories that prop it up are. Say when.

  11. #9
    Over 5000 post club marhig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,599
    Thanks
    1,996
    Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,887 Posts

    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    41291
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan Logician View Post
    Sure, ask me anything! I was raised Catholic, so I believed when I was very young. I became an atheist in my teens, had a brief brush with Hinduism in my twenties, and now in my thirties, I simply find nonbelief more plausible.

    I don't believe in God, because it seems reasonable to conclude he's merely a myth that the ancients constructed to explain the world and keep order in their society. Yahweh isn't the only example of this. You have Zeus, Shiva, and others. Zeus makes the rain fall, Shiva maintains balance in the universe, Yahweh does it all. Whatever. None of them are real. At least, it seems reasonable to me to conclude this. Whether or not I'm wrong, doesn't that seem like a reasonable conclusion to you?
    I don't believe in any religion, I'm not a mainstream Christian and I don't believe in denominations, but I believe in God and Jesus Christ and I believe in his teachings, he speaks with wisdom that is above man. I know he speaks the truth.

    What if you take the name of all those God's away, and look at creation itself, doesn't that tell you that a greater mind has to be behind everything? To put everything in its place perfectly, to clean the water and send it to the earth pure, the clean the air, to have the sun and the moon at the perfect distance from us for life. I look around and I know that there has to be a greater mind behind everything, it can't have exploded from nothing whatsoever. That's impossible.

    What about our conscience, how can we have a mind that contradicts our own thoughts, one telling us to do wrong and the other right? I believe that God pricks our conscience to do right whilst Satan tempts is to sin.


    Yeah, I'm open to speaking to anyone. Lol. I hang out in Christian forums for a few reasons: debate (I love debate!), discussion of scripture, to learn from people who hold different beliefs... but mostly I'm fascinated by religion. And I admire Christian morality (basic "love thy neighbor stuff). I think it's pretty powerful. Powerful enough to change the world, maybe, if its adherents actually took Jesus's teachings and parables seriously once in a while. If you've ever read Leo Tolstoy, you know what I admire about Christianity.

    Didn't mean to exclude non-fundamentalists. I'll chat with anyone. It's just that I love debate, and I'm most interested in crossing swords with them. I've lurked a bit here. Some of you guys are scrappy. I like that.

    Thanks for the welcome.
    Well it's good that you think what Jesus taught was powerful, and it is, because it comes from God. Jesus isn't a denomination, they are made by men, he's the way and he's come and showed us how to live right before God, he's came to bare witness to the truth and he came as an example for us to follow. I hope that one day you'll see that God does exist. And talking about swords, I hope that the sword of God pierces you heart also one day

    Btw, you can ask me anything too

  12. #10
    Spam Begone Sherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    US
    Posts
    13,167
    Thanks
    2,515
    Thanked 12,193 Times in 8,493 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)




    Rep Power
    2147713
    Welcome to TOL, Vulcan. You should be right at home as long as you are respectful in your dialog. We welcome all types of posters, but being respectful and not opening thread after thread on the same subject is the key.
    Sherman
    June is Gay Pride Month.Tolerance and diversity? More like tolerate perversity.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sherman For Your Post:

    glorydaz (March 13th, 2018),Ktoyou (April 10th, 2018),Tambora (March 16th, 2018)

  14. #11
    TOL Subscriber George Affleck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Markham, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,595
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 592 Posts

    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    529344
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan Logician View Post
    Hi guys!

    I was referred here by Alpha, from AF.org. (It took me a while, but I'm finally here.)

    I am a nonbeliever. I am a member of several Christian forums and an atheist forum. I came in search of discussion with fundamentalists. There are fundies on every Christian forum, yes, but the population is dilute with those who accept evolution, the big bang etc., etc... I'm looking for "Six days is six days!" and "God stretched the light from Andromeda to Earth" hardcore, unapologetic fundamentalists with which to exchange dialogue.

    You'll find that I'm super respectful of others' beliefs, and (if I do happen to offend) I'm receptive to criticism on that account. I came here to discuss things--not to feel superior to anyone or score "in your face" points.

    I've read and appreciate much of the Bible, and I find the Gospels (particularly the Sermon on the Mount) morally compelling. Anyway, there's plenty of time to discuss these things elsewhere in the forums. See you in the threads!

    Vulcan
    Hey Vulcan!

    Welcome to TOL.
    Glad you stopped by.

    If you are a non-believer, tell us about this non that you worship!
    That's just my clever way of saying that there is no such thing as a non-believer!!
    Actually, it sounds like you have become quite a 'fundie' about your faith.

    Explanation: It is impossible for anyone not to have a belief system; and a belief system includes faith. The system you are describing is faith in something other than the God of the Bible and includes a rejection of it. My belief system includes faith in the God of the Bible and excludes your faith that He does not exist.

    The fact that you have rejected Him because of certain information you believe is more important, simply proves that the Bible is accurate when it says: Rom 3:3KJV, Heb 3:19KJV.

    So, good job! You are part of God's plan to witness to the world of His mercy and goodness.
    Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to George Affleck For Your Post:

    glorydaz (March 13th, 2018)

  16. #12
    TOL Subscriber George Affleck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Markham, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,595
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 592 Posts

    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    529344
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan Logician View Post
    I simply find nonbelief more plausible.
    Now there you go again! Proving the Bible true. 1Co 2:14KJV
    Isn't it interesting how God knew how to respond to that before you came up with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan Logician View Post
    I don't believe in God, because it seems reasonable to conclude he's merely a myth that the ancients constructed to explain the world and keep order in their society. Yahweh isn't the only example of this. You have Zeus, Shiva, and others. Zeus makes the rain fall, Shiva maintains balance in the universe, Yahweh does it all. Whatever. None of them are real. At least, it seems reasonable to me to conclude this. Whether or not I'm wrong, doesn't that seem like a reasonable conclusion to you?
    If you want to talk about reasonable, do a study on the historicity of Jesus and His resurrection. Mind blowing. Unless, of course, you are afreid of what you might find. There is actually more historical proof that Jesus came back from the dead than that Benjamin Franklin was a real person. Reasonable people accept reasonable evidence.
    For example; if anyone was going to write something that they knew was untrue, they would never, in that culture, have women finding the stone rolled away.
    2Pe 1:16KJV

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan Logician View Post
    Yeah, I'm open to speaking to anyone. Lol. I hang out in Christian forums for a few reasons: debate (I love debate!), discussion of scripture, to learn from people who hold different beliefs... but mostly I'm fascinated by religion. And I admire Christian morality (basic "love thy neighbor stuff). I think it's pretty powerful. Powerful enough to change the world, maybe, if its adherents actually took Jesus's teachings and parables seriously once in a while. If you've ever read Leo Tolstoy, you know what I admire about Christianity.
    Yup, everyone requires answers to the big questions. It's not possible to leave them unsettled in our minds. Of course, because we are born sinners, our efforts always lean away from God because we are at enmity with Him. Rom 8:7KJV But once that gets solved, we are free to know the truth as Adam was before the fall, and as Jesus was.
    Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to George Affleck For Your Post:

    glorydaz (March 13th, 2018)

  18. #13
    Over 5000 post club fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,444
    Thanks
    264
    Thanked 902 Times in 616 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    284722
    Welcome newcomer.
    This place used to be a big deal but traffic has waned.
    We have many variety's around with plenty of "hardcore, unapologetic fundamentalists" in fact the site is owned by one. So do note that you are in the enemy camp.
    Everyman is a voice in the dark.
    I II III IV

  19. #14
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    17,484
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 10,775 Times in 7,848 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147828
    Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    You are in the enemy camp.


    Yeah, the fundamentalists are lying in wait with assault rifles.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    glorydaz (March 13th, 2018),Sherman (March 13th, 2018)

  21. #15
    ☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona USA
    Posts
    6,821
    Thanks
    4,513
    Thanked 3,976 Times in 2,278 Posts

    Blog Entries
    148
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2147693
    Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    So do note that you are in the enemy camp.
    One does wonder why not a few seek out a venue to put themselves in harm's way rather than enjoying the comfort of the like-minded.

    Experience teaches me that the motivations are inevitably self-serving rather than any claim to altruism.

    Just sayin'.

    AMR
    Embedded links in my posts or in my sig below are included for a reason. Tolle Lege.



    Do you confess?
    Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?



  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ask Mr. Religion For Your Post:

    glorydaz (March 16th, 2018),Lon (March 18th, 2018),patrick jane (March 18th, 2018),Sherman (March 13th, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us