User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 60 of 60

Thread: Gun Control History

  1. #46
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    16,446
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 9,164 Times in 6,992 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147813
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    You keep claiming that I am relying on correlation after I keep pointing out that I am relying on reported side effects of the psychotropic drugs that the shooters have taken.
    That means you are creating a Straw Man argument.
    Not exactly. He is asking for specific data. Some of his objections are not unreasonable, he just has a difficult time speaking reasonably.

  2. #47
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,929
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,839 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    338649
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Not exactly. He is asking for specific data. Some of his objections are not unreasonable, he just has a difficult time speaking reasonably.
    (Stipe thinks asking for specific data is unreasonable)
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  3. #48
    TOL Subscriber George Affleck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Markham, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks
    893
    Thanked 909 Times in 520 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    526945
    I would love to see a poll done that goes like this:

    Participants are - only those who have been personally impacted by shooting sprees in the last 10 years. A loved one dying or wounded, being wounded yourself, experiencing the terror, etc.

    Question: If you could change only one thing about the incident - that there would have been from 1-10 people present who carried guns and had the guts to immediately apply deadly force back at the perpetrator(s).

    Leave it as it happened or make that one change? Vote Yes or No.
    Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to George Affleck For Your Post:

    Greg Jennings (March 15th, 2018)

  5. #49
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    16,446
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 9,164 Times in 6,992 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147813
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    (Stipe thinks asking for specific data is unreasonable) ::
    See?

    It's like he doesn't even try.

  6. #50
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    8,196
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 763 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    490504
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    See?

    It's like he doesn't even try.
    Maybe he suddenly stopped taking his antidepressants?
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  7. #51
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    16,446
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 9,164 Times in 6,992 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147813
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Maybe he suddenly stopped taking his antidepressants?
    It's been like this for a long time.

  8. #52
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,929
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,839 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    338649
    Stipe writes:
    He is asking for specific data. Some of his objections are not unreasonable, he just has a difficult time speaking reasonably.
    Barbarian observes:
    (Stipe thinks asking for specific data is unreasonable)

    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    See?
    Everyone saw, Stipe. No wonder we laugh at you.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  9. #53
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    8,196
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 763 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    490504
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    He is asking for specific data. Some of his objections are not unreasonable, he just has a difficult time speaking reasonably.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    (Stipe thinks asking for specific data is unreasonable)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    See?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Everyone saw, Stipe. No wonder we laugh at you.
    We know what we saw.
    The Barbarian
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  10. #54
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,929
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,839 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    338649
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    We know what we saw.
    So does everyone else:

    (Stipe thinks asking for data is unreasonable)
    Some of his objections are not unreasonable, he just has a difficult time speaking reasonably.


    That's why people laugh at you.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  11. #55
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    16,446
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 9,164 Times in 6,992 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147813
    Blablaman.

  12. #56
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,929
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,839 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    338649
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Blablaman.
    (Stipe just has trouble speaking reasonably)
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  13. #57
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,080
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,115 Posts

    Blog Entries
    12
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    337945


    Quote Originally Posted by George Affleck View Post
    I would love to see a poll done that goes like this:

    Participants are - only those who have been personally impacted by shooting sprees in the last 10 years. A loved one dying or wounded, being wounded yourself, experiencing the terror, etc.

    Question: If you could change only one thing about the incident - that there would have been from 1-10 people present who carried guns and had the guts to immediately apply deadly force back at the perpetrator(s).

    Leave it as it happened or make that one change? Vote Yes or No.
    There are more guns in circulation than there are American citizens and yet gun proponents still cling to the "good guy(s) with a gun" being present as a credible defence against a "mass shooter" armed with an AR-15!

    In the total confusion associated with these incidents, it is just as likely to have these "1-10 people present who carried guns and had the guts to immediately apply deadly force back at the perpetrator" mistake others carrying a gun to be the "perpetrator," thereby ending up shooting at each other and/or being shot by the police!
    Last edited by jgarden; March 15th, 2018 at 11:34 PM.

  14. #58
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    16,446
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 9,164 Times in 6,992 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147813
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
    Gun proponents still cling to the "good guy(s) with a gun" being present as a credible defence against a "mass shooter" armed with an AR-15
    https://youtu.be/B4HEchh0XD8

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    George Affleck (March 16th, 2018)

  16. #59
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    8,196
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 763 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    490504
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post



    There are more guns in circulation than there are American citizens and yet gun proponents still cling to the "good guy(s) with a gun" being present as a credible defence against a "mass shooter" armed with an AR-15!

    In the total confusion associated with these incidents, it is just as likely to have these "1-10 people present who carried guns and had the guts to immediately apply deadly force back at the perpetrator" mistake others carrying a gun to be the "perpetrator," thereby ending up shooting at each other and/or being shot by the police!
    You make it sound like having armed police is the real problem.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    George Affleck (March 16th, 2018)

  18. #60
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,929
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,839 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    338649
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post



    There are more guns in circulation than there are American citizens
    But it's not what that datum suggests. Fewer and fewer people own guns. But those who do own guns, own more of them. Hence, shooters tend to be well-armed with multiple weapons and lots of ammunition.

    and yet gun proponents still cling to the "good guy(s) with a gun" being present as a credible defence against a "mass shooter" armed with an AR-15!
    It's not a totally crazy idea, but consider. A "good guy with a gun" is minding his own business, on a street one night, when he sees a black guy pull a gun on another person.

    What should good guy do?

    Oh, forgot to mention, black guy is a police detective, apprehending a dangerous criminal. Was the first decision a good one?

    Suppose you're in bed one night, your spouse with you, and with a gun at your nightstand. You live in a high crime area. Suddenly some guys suddenly break into your bedroom through windows. At least one of them is armed. What do you do?

    Oh, forgot to mention. The three guys were police officers who messed up on an address and were doing a "no-knock" raid on the wrong house(they had a warrant for the right one). Was the first decision a good one?

    This one actually happened recently. The homeowner (who happened to be black) shot the three cops. Remarkably, the survivors didn't kill him, but arrested him for homicide.

    But the "good guy with a gun" idea isn't completely crazy. Few decades ago, the National Safety Council did a study of guns and NRA stats on people who used a gun to shoot or scare off an assailant, and showed that about 20% of Americans live where it's dangerous enough that having a gun is actually safer than not having one. Given the drop in violent crime since then, the number is almost certainly smaller than it was.

    So there is that.
    Last edited by The Barbarian; March 16th, 2018 at 10:24 AM.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us