User Tag List

Page 108 of 222 FirstFirst ... 85898105106107108109110111118158208 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 3321

Thread: The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

  1. #1606
    TOL Legend musterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    21,201
    Thanks
    3,955
    Thanked 19,424 Times in 11,255 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147753
    Quote Originally Posted by Clete View Post
    The last few days I've been playing around with some math and thought I'd post some of it here to see if it might move some of the flat earthers maybe an inch or two back toward reality...

    Let's put some of the sunset images we've taken to good use and see if what was observed can be made to fit with the FET (Flat Earth Theory).

    FET claims the Sun is approximately 3000 miles above the Earth and they do not dispute well established distances between points on the surface of the Earth. I'm going to be using these two presuppositions in my calculations and you'll want to refer to the following diagram to keep track of the variables...

    Attachment 26417

    Side a is the distance from the ground to the Sun (3000 mi).
    Side b is the distance from an observer to a point on the Earth where it is high noon (the point at which the Sun is at it's highest point in the sky).
    Side c (a.k.a. the hypotenuse) is the distance from the observer to the Sun itself.
    Angle A is the height of the Sun above the horizon in degrees as seen from the observer.
    Angle C is always 90
    Angle B is not relevant to this discussion.

    Note from the start that if the Earth is flat and the Sun is 3000 miles up (or any number of miles up for that matter) that angle A can never ever get to 0. The Sun would never set because no matter how long you make side b of that triangle, angle A is always a positive number. The only way for the Sun to set on a flat Earth is if the Sun dipped below the plane of the flat Earth. If that were to happen, then it would be night everywhere on Earth at once, which we know does not happen. It's always high noon somewhere on the Earth.

    That, by itself, ought to be enough to convince anyone that the Earth cannot be flat but there more. Let's take a look at some of these photos we took last week...

    So, since we're assuming a flat Earth, I'm going to focus on just a couple of photos that both show the position of the Sun in degrees above the horizon. I should point out that you don't have to trust the numbers generated by the app on the phones used to take these photos. The numbers can be confirmed by anyone by simply fashioning a simple sextant from a cheap plastic protractor.

    I'll use these two photos...

    Attachment 26418 Attachment 26419

    On the left is the Sun's position as seen from my house on May 8th at 01:00 UCT (8:00:01pm central time)
    On the right is the Sun's position as seen from Knight's house on the same day just 38 seconds later (7:00:39pm mountain time).

    The position of the Sun at my house is just .1 above the horizon while at Knight's it was 10.2 (This information is displayed just to the right of the Sun position indicator. It shows the Sun's heading and then it's elevation in degrees. On Knight's photo it's sort of hidden a little by the NW direction indicator but it reads "Sun 284.0 W 10.2" The 10.2 is the elevation above the horizon in degrees)

    So, let's look at Knight's first...

    How far West would you have to go from Knight's house (where sides b and c meet) to get to a place on a flat Earth where it was high noon (where sides a and b meet)?

    It turns out that when dealing with right triangles if you have the length of any one side and either angle A or B, you can know everything about the whole triangle!
    The math is boring and so I'm not going to show all that. Just go HERE and plug in the numbers for side b (3000) and angle A (10.2).
    You get the following results...

    Someone 16,700 miles (length of side b) to his west would see the Sun at it's highest point in the sky for that day.

    There is no point on Earth 16,700 miles from Denver Colorado.


    Still not convinced? Well just wait till you plug in the numbers from my house!


    At my house the Sun was only .1 degrees above the horizon. So plugging in the numbers from my house (side b = 3000 and angle A = .1) we get the following results...

    You have to go 1,720,000 miles to my West to find high noon beneath a Sun that was 3000 miles above the surface of a flat Earth.

    That's One MILLION seven hundred twenty THOUSAND miles!



    Now seriously folks! What more proof could you possibly need? How are you going to possibly refute this?

    Are you going to deny that the Sun is about 10 further above the horizon in Denver than it is in Houston? Even if you did that, the calculations from my house aren't dependent on that!

    Are you going to challenge the validity of the Pythagorean Theorem?

    It seems that's your only option! It's either refute the Pythagorean Theorem or you must reject the notion that the Earth is flat based on the mere fact that the Sun gets to within .1 of the horizon at one point on the Earth while at the same time being directly over head at another.

    Clete

    P.S. We need a mic drop smilie!
    The sun is in on it and works for Them.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

    [most will be very surprised]


    Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

    Clete (May 15th, 2018),JudgeRightly (May 15th, 2018),Right Divider (May 15th, 2018),steko (May 15th, 2018)

  3. #1607
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,475
    Thanks
    10,949
    Thanked 18,623 Times in 10,554 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147679

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Clete View Post
    The last few days I've been playing around with some math and thought I'd post some of it here to see if it might move some of the flat earthers maybe an inch or two back toward reality...

    Let's put some of the sunset images we've taken to good use and see if what was observed can be made to fit with the FET (Flat Earth Theory).

    FET claims the Sun is approximately 3000 miles above the Earth and they do not dispute well established distances between points on the surface of the Earth. I'm going to be using these two presuppositions in my calculations and you'll want to refer to the following diagram to keep track of the variables...

    Attachment 26417

    Side a is the distance from the ground to the Sun (3000 mi).
    Side b is the distance from an observer to a point on the Earth where it is high noon (the point at which the Sun is at it's highest point in the sky).
    Side c (a.k.a. the hypotenuse) is the distance from the observer to the Sun itself.
    Angle A is the height of the Sun above the horizon in degrees as seen from the observer.
    Angle C is always 90
    Angle B is not relevant to this discussion.
    For quite a while I was demonstrating this simple geometry to some of the flat peeps here and they just cannot fathom it. I attempted to get them to give me whatever numbers that they wanted for the elevation of the sun above the "flat earth" and the circumference of the "flat earth"....

    FlatEarthModel.jpg
    No matter what numbers you plug in for a, b or c... A is ALWAYS A POSITIVE VALUE!

    If they don't like that, they need a new model (i.e., not flat earth).
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    Clete (May 15th, 2018),steko (May 15th, 2018)

  5. #1608
    Silver Member Clete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seated in the heavenly places at God's right hand, in Him!
    Posts
    8,947
    Thanks
    425
    Thanked 5,385 Times in 3,007 Posts

    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147758
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    For quite a while I was demonstrating this simple geometry to some of the flat peeps here and they just cannot fathom it. I attempted to get them to give me whatever numbers that they wanted for the elevation of the sun above the "flat earth" and the circumference of the "flat earth"....

    FlatEarthModel.jpg
    No matter what numbers you plug in for a, b or c... A is ALWAYS A POSITIVE VALUE!

    If they don't like that, they need a new model (i.e., not flat earth).
    Hey! Great minds think alike! I like your diagram. Did you make that or did you find it online somewhere? I couldn't find one I liked so I just went with straight variables.

    "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clete For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (May 15th, 2018)

  7. #1609
    Silver Member Clete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seated in the heavenly places at God's right hand, in Him!
    Posts
    8,947
    Thanks
    425
    Thanked 5,385 Times in 3,007 Posts

    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147758
    So let's do some more math!

    This time let's assume that the distances on Earth as reported by Google Earth are accurate but that the Earth is flat.

    To make the numbers easy, lets assume a location on the equator on an equinox.

    And we'll use the same diagram as before...

    arittri.gif

    When it is Noon (90 over head (angle C) in one place it is Sunset or Sunrise 6225.25 miles away (side b).
    For our Sunset angle (angle A) we'll stick with .1 because any angle below that produces numbers that are even more embarrassing for the FET.

    So, plugging in the numbers HERE, we get the following results....

    The Sun would have to be a mere 10.865122 miles above the surface of a flat Earth.

    If you use a smaller number for angle a, then the Sun has to be closer and closer to the surface. An angle of .01 would require the Sun to be just over one mile above the surface of the Earth.

    Clete

    "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clete For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (May 15th, 2018),Right Divider (May 15th, 2018)

  9. #1610
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    33,404
    Thanks
    18,066
    Thanked 16,575 Times in 13,015 Posts

    Blog Entries
    32
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    His ways are past understanding. Don't you guys see the truth? The writing on the ice wall? I'm flat out tired of waiting for Dave to get back.

  10. #1611
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,878
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,000 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1086490
    Quote Originally Posted by Clete View Post
    You have to go 1,720,000 miles to my West to find high noon beneath a Sun that was 3000 miles above the surface of a flat Earth.

    That's One MILLION seven hundred twenty THOUSAND miles!
    (That's more that 7 times the real distance to the Moon!)
    Genius!
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knight For Your Post:

    Clete (May 15th, 2018),JudgeRightly (May 15th, 2018)

  12. #1612
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,878
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,000 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1086490
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    His ways are past understanding. Don't you guys see the truth? The writing on the ice wall? I'm flat out tired of waiting for Dave to get back.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knight For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (May 15th, 2018),Right Divider (May 15th, 2018)

  14. #1613
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,475
    Thanks
    10,949
    Thanked 18,623 Times in 10,554 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147679

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Clete View Post
    Hey! Great minds think alike! I like your diagram. Did you make that or did you find it online somewhere? I couldn't find one I liked so I just went with straight variables.
    I created it, but it's not to scale.... I just wanted to demonstrate that even at its farthest point (according to the FE model), the sun is still WELL ABOVE the horizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  15. #1614
    Get your armor ready! Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    51,007
    Thanks
    158,860
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 28,679 Posts

    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148170
    Quote Originally Posted by Clete View Post

    It seems that's your only option! It's either refute the Pythagorean Theorem or you must reject the notion that the Earth is flat based on the mere fact that the Sun gets to within .1 of the horizon at one point on the Earth while at the same time being directly over head at another.
    (from the audience in my costume)
    Pick curtain A, PJ, and let's see what's behind it!

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tambora For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (May 15th, 2018),patrick jane (May 15th, 2018)

  17. #1615
    Over 5000 post club 1Mind1Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,508
    Thanks
    800
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 1,098 Posts

    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    726160
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Genius!
    Brilliant.

    You now think you mapped out perspective.

    Gee George it looks like 1 degree from my house.
    Yup, that's where it's at.


  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1Mind1Spirit For Your Post:

    patrick jane (May 15th, 2018),SaulToPaul (May 15th, 2018)

  19. #1616
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,142
    Thanks
    430
    Thanked 700 Times in 579 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    So the thousands of weather satellites that you flat earth dopes depend on for your weather are run by hundreds of thousands of people keeping a big secret, eh? And all the military and spy satellites run by multiple nations are all in on the big secret, right? You're all a bunch of crackheads.

    And once the North Koreans were able to launch an ICBM, they immediately learned that the earth was flat and were brought into the secret society, and they agreed to keep the secret, right? LOLL

    Please don't breed. The gene pool is already botched up enough

  20. #1617
    Silver Member SaulToPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    19,194
    Thanks
    3,468
    Thanked 21,751 Times in 12,643 Posts

    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147816
    Quote Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
    So the thousands of weather satellites
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    They can't compete with a real writer and grammar scholar
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    You're too literal to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    The New Covenant preceded the Old Covenant.

  21. #1618
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,142
    Thanks
    430
    Thanked 700 Times in 579 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulToPaul View Post
    Okay, what: Hundreds? Tens? Whatever. Its a distinction without a difference as far as my argument goes.

  22. #1619
    Over 5000 post club 1Mind1Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,508
    Thanks
    800
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 1,098 Posts

    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    726160
    Quote Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
    And once the North Koreans were able to launch an ICBM, they immediately learned that the earth was flat and were brought into the secret society, and they agreed to keep the secret, right? LOLL

    Please don't breed. The gene pool is already botched up enough
    You do know we shoot em down before they get that high, right?


  23. The Following User Says Thank You to 1Mind1Spirit For Your Post:

    patrick jane (May 15th, 2018)

  24. #1620
    Silver Member SaulToPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    19,194
    Thanks
    3,468
    Thanked 21,751 Times in 12,643 Posts

    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147816
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Mind1Spirit View Post
    Brilliant.

    You now think you mapped out perspective.

    Gee George it looks like 1 degree from my house.
    Yup, that's where it's at.

    Indeed. With our eyes, we can only see a few miles in each direction. But the LORD allows us to see the sun, moon, and stars in our own personal bubble or field of vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    They can't compete with a real writer and grammar scholar
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    You're too literal to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    The New Covenant preceded the Old Covenant.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaulToPaul For Your Post:

    1Mind1Spirit (May 15th, 2018),patrick jane (May 15th, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us