Thread: And another one gone...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,924 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Barbarian observes:
    The point is, you're confusing weather and climate. Noise and signal.

Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    No, I'm not.
    I get that you don't think so. But you're still unclear on the difference between trends and random fluctuations.

Barbarian explains:
    You see, there are random variations in the market that are pretty much noise.

Oh. I did not know that.
    Most analysts, however do know that. I was in graduate school at USC, when the foundational work in analyzing the fractal nature of market movements was done. My interest was in biological systems, and it was surprising to see that things like weather and climate, the stock market, and so on, acted the same way that interacting populations act. But there you are. Turns out the noise has an orderly structure in each case, and can be analyzed itself.

That was my point. You had to GOOG that.

I forgot a lot of things, but not that. It will be 40 years this spring since I found out about it.

"You see"-translated-filler, empty "argument," as the poster does not see.It is akin to saying, "To be honest with you...It is obvious..."
    Funny how people who do that, are never aware of it, isn't it?

No, the so called analysts most of the time,

Do you call yourself an analyst?

You are quite naive, kid,
    Well, you know how naive barbarians are. Notoriously so.

and believe the headlines.

You need to get out more.
    Unfortunately, I don't get to stock exchanges much. Most of my out time is down in the backwaters of the Trinity:

Or getting asked to leave the roofs of parking garages...

Fortunately, there's this thing called "the internet" that lets me check my stuff online, as well as what the market is doing generally. You should try it.

In contrast, the "smart" people, such as myself,"get" the real reasons for the market's trend
    You clever devil, you. I'm just a dumb old barbarian, remember? And you with a net worth of $850,000! I am impressed.

Oh. And remember-Social security won't allow you to by dentures.
    So far, I haven't paid for any dental work, not even co-pays; there is a way to make sure all of that is covered. My wife handled insurance problems for a department of the medical school, and she set us up so that we don't pay anything at all for care. It's not cheap, but it's quite a good deal.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What drove the markets?

Investors were nervous, fleeing assets perceived as more risky after the news of Cohnís resignation. He is regarded as the chief architect of Wall Street-friendly corporate tax cuts signed into law last year, and he was seen as a level head in an administration that has seen tumult.

His decision to leave the role as the presidentís top economic adviser adds to fears that Trump is adopting an increasingly protectionist stance and could spark a global trade war. That type of conflict could threaten the U.S. economic growth and corporate earnings.

The European Union said Wednesday it is discussing which American products it would hit with tariffs if Trump moves ahead with his plan. In addition, the Trump administration is reportedly considering a broad range of import tariffs on Chinese goods.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...xit-2018-03-07
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,942 Times in 8,389 Posts

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Barbarian observes:
    The point is, you're confusing weather and climate. Noise and signal.
    No, Babbs, do not confuse your lack of reading comprehension skills, with any alleged confusion on my part.

I get that you don't think so. But you're still unclear on the difference between trends and random fluctuations.
    No, Babbs, do not confuse your lack of reading comprehension skills, with any alleged confusion on my part.

You see, there are random variations in the market that are pretty much noise.Most analysts, however do know that. I was in graduate school at USC, when the foundational work in analyzing the fractal nature of market movements was done. My interest was in biological systems, and it was surprising to see that things like weather and climate, the stock market, and so on, acted the same way that interacting populations act. But there you are. Turns out the noise has an orderly structure in each case, and can be analyzed itself.
    Thanks, Oprah.

Do you call yourself an analyst?
    Yes/Others do. I'm quite brilliant.

Unfortunately, I don't get to stock exchanges much.
    We know. My evidence? Your posts.

Fortunately, ...
    No such thing as "fortune/luck."

I'm just a dumb old barbarian, remember? And you with a net worth of $850,000! I am impressed.
    Not dumb-just ignorant, by buying headlines.Yes, quite impressive, for a confused analyst.
    Saint John W

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Barbarian observes:
    You see, there are random variations in the market that are pretty much noise.Most analysts, however do know that. I was in graduate school at USC, when the foundational work in analyzing the fractal nature of market movements was done. My interest was in biological systems, and it was surprising to see that things like weather and climate, the stock market, and so on, acted the same way that interacting populations act. But there you are. Turns out the noise has an orderly structure in each case, and can be analyzed itself.

Thanks, Oprah.
    I doubt if Oprah has a master's in systems. You don't have any idea what this is about, do you?

Barbarian observes:
    Unfortunately, I don't get to stock exchanges much. Fortunately, there's this thing called "the internet" that lets me check my stuff online, as well as what the market is doing generally. You should try it.

We know. My evidence? Your posts.
    Well thank you. Give it a try. It might clear up your confusion about why the market took a dive when Trump announced his hare-brained tariff idea.

I'm quite brilliant.
    A very stable genius, um?

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Cohn's resignation may be a 'turn for the worse' in trade: Larry Kudlow

White House chief economic advisor Gary Cohn's resignation may be a "turn for the worse" in the ongoing trade battles, said Larry Kudlow, CNBC senior contributor.

"I wouldn't necessarily say the cause for freer trade is over," Kudlow said Tuesday on CNBC's "Fast Money." "But we'll see who is appointed. I personally regret this [resignation] very much."

Kudlow said he's spoken with Cohn in recent days and "personally urged him to stay" in his post as President Donald Trump's economic advisor.

Cohn, a former Goldman Sachs president and free trade advocate, announced Tuesday evening that he would leave his post at the White House. The departure date has not yet been set.

"I'm quite sorry that this is true," said Kudlow. He said Cohn's resignation was "not great" for trade.

The news comes as Trump continues to move forward on his proposed steel and aluminum imports, pushing for a 25 percent tariff on steel and a 10 percent tariff on aluminum. Cohn and Trump's advisors did not agree on several important tariff issues.

Markets immediately dropped about 1.5 percent after the announcement of Cohn's resignation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/06/cohn...ry-kudlow.html

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    And there's a somewhat brighter side to this stupidity:

Trump's Tariffs Dim the Prospects for Trump's Wall
    President Donald Trump still wants to build a wall along the southern border with Mexico. At times, he’s nearly taken a first step toward that goal, most recently during bipartisan negotiations over immigration. Democrats in Congress offered to fund a border wall in exchange for protections for immigrants living in the U.S., but the deal collapsed without the president’s support.

On Thursday, Trump shocked the world by unilaterally announcing tariffs on steel and aluminum. In the name of national security—authorized by a Cold War power known as Section 232—Trump declared his plans to impose a 25 percent tariff on steel and a 10 percent tariff on aluminum. If he proceeds, these tariffs will rewrite commodities markets, drive up prices for steel importers, and shake up an already stirred White House economics team.

Another one of many wide-reaching changes: Trump may have just put his own wall out of reach.

The president’s protectionist instinct runs counter to the facts on the ground—or rather, the facts in the ground. The U.S. doesn’t produce steel at the price necessary to build a massive wall spanning thousands of miles at an affordable cost.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...s-wall/554735/

Two wrongs made a right. Sort of.

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,152 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

And another one gone...

Given "Donald J" couldn't even attract the "best of the best" at the best of times, who in their right mind would join the Trump Administration now?

Your legal bills, alone, will probably exceed your salary!

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    And another one out of the clown car that has become the Trump administration:

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's tenure has come to an end, as, on Tuesday morning, President Donald Trump shocked the world by saying that he replaced his chief diplomat with CIA Director Mike Pompeo.

The decision to swap Tillerson for Pompeo was made by Trump on Friday, according to The Washington Post. Tillerson ended his trip to Africa early on Monday so that he could return to Washington as a result of Trump's decision. The move was reportedly timed so that it would cause minimal disruption to the president's planned diplomatic talks with North Korea and trade negotiations.

The move does bring about at least one milestone: CIA Deputy Director Gina Hapsel, who is set to replace Pompeo as head of the agency, will be the first woman to serve as director of the CIA.

Although Tillerson appeared to have known that he was going to be fired before he publicly declared that the poisoning of an ex-Russian spy and his daughter "clearly" came from Russia, the timing of Tillerson's firing is nevertheless likely to raise eyebrows. Trump had long feuded with Tillerson over the perception that the latter was "too establishment" in his thinking, despite the fact that Tillerson was the first secretary of state ever appointed to have no prior foreign policy experience. Tillerson had also on occasion taken a tougher stand toward Russia than Trump, with the secretary of state even warning that America is still vulnerable to potential Russian electoral meddling back in February.

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/13/don...rex-tillerson/

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    And another one gone...

Hours after his boss, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, was ousted Steve Goldstein, the under secretary of public affairs at the State Department has been fired by the White House.
    Goldstein publicly contradicted the White House account of how Tillerson was fired on Tuesday morning.
    Goldstein said Tillerson was officially notified he'd been fired from a tweet from President Donald Trump on Tuesday morning, and in a statement, said Tillerson had "every intention of remaining."
    A senior administration official said Trump asked Tillerson to step aside on Friday and a senior White House official later clarified that chief of staff John Kelly told Tillerson that he would be replaced, but did not specify the timing.

Asked how Tillerson learned of his dismissal, Trump said Tuesday that "Rex and I have been talking about this a long time." He specifically mentioned the Iran nuclear deal as an example of disagreement.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/13/polit...red/index.html

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    On Tuesday morning President Trump was answering questions regarding his abrupt ousting of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson when CNN reporter Kaitlan Collins asked if the president fired Tillerson for calling him “a moron.”

Tillerson reportedly made the remark at a meeting at the Pentagon last year and then held a press conference in October to insist that he thinks the president is smart. Tillerson has never explicitly denied that he called Trump “a moron.”

When Collins asked if being personally insulted played a part in Tillerson’s exit, Trump insisted that the two men get along, but they just had “a different mindset, a different thinking” regarding diplomacy.

https://www.spin.com/2018/03/trump-a...llerson-fired/

Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elect a clown, expect a circus...

=

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    And another one gone...

President Trump has decided to remove H.R. McMaster as his national security adviser and is actively discussing potential replacements, according to five people with knowledge of the plans, preparing to deliver yet another jolt to the senior ranks of his administration.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.6d255549741a

The tumult of the past week has fueled a deep and seething anger within President Donald Trump -- not an uncommon emotion for the insolent commander in chief -- but one that allies and aides say has escalated as he faces a new gauntlet of problems, including the encroaching Russia investigation.
    His soothing communications guru is leaving. His obstinate attorney general has turned openly defiant. His son-in-law and senior adviser was stripped of his security clearance at the behest of his chief of staff. His Cabinet secretaries keep spending an inordinate amount of taxpayer dollars on luxuries. His most loyal allies in Congress describe his meetings as "surreal."
    Allies of Trump's on Capitol Hill and elsewhere describe a sense of "meltdown" at the White House as the series of unfortunate events unfold. The President, they say, wants to take action to turn the page.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/01/polit...own/index.html

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    And another one gone...

McCabe goes down.

No one seems to ever associate himself or herself with Trump, and not pay a price for it.

What kind of fool would step up and take a job with him, after all this?

Thread Information