Thread: And another one gone...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,924 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

And another one gone...

Gary Cohn Resigns as White House Economic Adviser After Losing Tariffs Fight
    Defeat on tariffs was latest setback for Mr. Cohn, who has seen many ups and downs in turbulent West Wing

Gary Cohn will resign from the White House after 14 months serving as President Donald Trumpís top economic adviser, he said Tuesday, days after Mr. Trump surprised his senior staff by announcing steel and aluminum tariffs that Mr. Cohn had opposed.

During his time at the White House, Mr. Cohn oversaw a major revamp of the U.S. tax code and pushed a significant rewrite of financial rules. But the former Goldman Sachs Group Inc. executive stumbled in an uphill and monthslong fight to sway Mr. Trump against the tariffs. He was also on the losing side of an effort to prevent the U.S. withdrawal last year from the Paris climate accord, and will leave having made little progress advancing a $1 trillion infrastructure program.

Financial markets have seesawed in recent weeks, first on the prospect that higher federal budget deficits approved by Mr. Trump might boost inflation and interest rates and more recently because of his desire to start a ďtrade war.Ē

Mr. Cohnís departure could further rattle investors. Though not universally well liked on Wall Street, Mr. Cohn was widely admired for his market savvy and his pro-trade world view, which many traders and executives share. The dollar slumped, and futures in the Dow Jones Industrial Average were down about 300 points, or 1.2%, late Tuesday.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gary-co...ser-1520376157
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,343 Times in 8,601 Posts

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Gary Cohn Resigns as White House Economic Adviser After Losing Tariffs Fight
    Defeat on tariffs was latest setback for Mr. Cohn, who has seen many ups and downs in turbulent West Wing

Gary Cohn will resign from the White House after 14 months serving as President Donald Trumpís top economic adviser, he said Tuesday, days after Mr. Trump surprised his senior staff by announcing steel and aluminum tariffs that Mr. Cohn had opposed.

During his time at the White House, Mr. Cohn oversaw a major revamp of the U.S. tax code and pushed a significant rewrite of financial rules. But the former Goldman Sachs Group Inc. executive stumbled in an uphill and monthslong fight to sway Mr. Trump against the tariffs. He was also on the losing side of an effort to prevent the U.S. withdrawal last year from the Paris climate accord, and will leave having made little progress advancing a $1 trillion infrastructure program.

Financial markets have seesawed in recent weeks, first on the prospect that higher federal budget deficits approved by Mr. Trump might boost inflation and interest rates and more recently because of his desire to start a ďtrade war.Ē

Mr. Cohnís departure could further rattle investors. Though not universally well liked on Wall Street, Mr. Cohn was widely admired for his market savvy and his pro-trade world view, which many traders and executives share. The dollar slumped, and futures in the Dow Jones Industrial Average were down about 300 points, or 1.2%, late Tuesday.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gary-co...ser-1520376157
    Uh, oh...The market may "plummet" tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Saint John W

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    Uh, oh...The market may "plummet" tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not tomorrow; today:

Stock market rattled as Cohn resigns from Trump White House
    Dow futures tumble more than 400 points at lows amid news of the resignation of Trump’s key economic adviser.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/st...use-2018-03-06

Oh, wait. They "tumbled." Never mind.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This morning:

Donald Trump’s chief economic advisor Gary Cohn is leaving the White House, and the markets aren’t happy.

S&P 500 futures immediately dropped by 1.1% on the news, which may not sound like a lot, but implies a loss of some $230 billion in the market value of the US stock market. They then continued downward, falling by 1.3% at 7:30 pm EST.

https://qz.com/1223164/gary-cohn-res...s-are-tanking/

Thanks

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not tomorrow; today:

Stock market rattled as Cohn resigns from Trump White House
    Dow futures tumble more than 400 points at lows amid news of the resignation of Trump’s key economic adviser.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/st...use-2018-03-06

Oh, wait. They "tumbled." Never mind.
    Market is tanking, the Dow being down 57 points with a little over an hour to go, in the standard session!!!!!It's Trump's fault, and global warming/cooling, inflation, interest rates, earnings, Super Bowl theory, productivity losses, Oprah deciding not to run, Jerry Springer deciding to run......................................

Nothing to this "analyst" gig.
    Saint John W

Thanks

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dateline Dallas, TX: Market update

Since my last updated, the Dow sank another 26 points, and plummeted almost 83 points on the day, as worries about worries, and possible earthquakes in the future weighed on investors minds.

One real analyst also attributed the sell off to more sellers, than buyers.

Fake analyst saint John "I still think Enron might be a good long term play" W
    Saint John W

Thanks

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dateline Dallas, TX: Market update

News flash!!! Dow futures indicate the Dow will plummet 62 points at the opening!!!!!
    Saint John W

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Dow drops more than 400 points after Trump announces tariffs
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/01/inve...ffs/index.html

Just a coincidence... nothing to worry about...

Thanks

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dow drops more than 400 points after Trump announces tariffs
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/01/inve...ffs/index.html

Just a coincidence... nothing to worry about...
    400 points=1.6%

It's 1929!!! The market has plummeted!!! IBM was off 1.6% the other day, down 2 1/2 points, to $155 1/2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It plummetted!!!!

2.Dow up over 35% since Trump elected.Just a coincidence... no correlation..

Cricket...cricket..
    Saint John W

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=john w;5206328]1.
    400 points=1.6%

So the market drops a bit less than 2% of its total value in one day, just because Trump said something stupid that looked like it was going to set off a trade war.

[quote]It's 1929!!!

Just a big drop, and it was entirely unnecessary.

The market has plummeted!!!
    Wall St. Journal said "tumbled." But what do they know about the markets?

IBM was off 1.6% the other day, down 2 1/2 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It plummetted!!!!

Shares of International Business Machines (IBM) are down $6.34, or almost 4%, at $162.78, continuing last night’s losses, as the company’s return to revenue growth last quarter is overshadowed by scrutiny of margins and skepticism about the company’s outlook, offered on its conference call yesterday, of “at least $13.80” this year.
    https://www.barrons.com/articles/ibm...xes-1516378068

Turns out, there was a reason for that, too.

2 .Dow up over 35% since he was elected.Just a coincidence... no correlation..

It continued the upward trend of the past 8 years until he did something stupid:

You're confusing weather and climate, again.

Cricket...cricket..

In this case, cockroach. You don't know your Dictyoptera very well.

Thanks

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the market drops a bit less than 2% of its total value in one day, just because Trump said something stupid that looked like it was going to set off a trade war.

Just a big drop, and it was entirely unnecessary.

Shares of International Business Machines (IBM) are down $6.34, or almost 4%, at $162.78, continuing last night’s losses, as the company’s return to revenue growth last quarter is overshadowed by scrutiny of margins and skepticism about the company’s outlook, offered on its conference call yesterday, of “at least $13.80” this year.

It continued the upward trend of the past 8 years until he did something stupid:

You're confusing weather and climate, again.

In this case, cockroach. You don't know your Dictyoptera very well.
    A 1.6% drop is a big drop? Sure it is, kid.

Well, Babbs, I will let you carry on, and keep an eye on your CD's(and I do not mean compact discs),as you are beginning to bore me with your kindergarten "analysis" of the current "market melt down/crash."

Bye, bye, and don't buy bonds.
    Saint John W

Thanks

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a mess-I cannot resist. Look, kid, I used IBM as an analogy, i.e., I just made up the #'s. I only used IBM, to "dumb it down for you," as it is probably one of the few stocks that you recognize. The point? ABC stock goes down $2 3/4, to $155.25, from $158, i.e., 1.75%, and people do not jump out the window, cheat on their wife/husband, take ludes/crack cocaine, build bomb shelters, look for a second job/coming, .....But, when the Dow drops 400 points, 1.6%, the idiots in the media, and you, who would not know the difference between "over the counter," and the counter at a diner, freak out. It's called "Bad News Sells." Ecclesiastes 1:9 KJV

I wish you well, Babbs, when you enter college in a few years.
    Saint John W

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    What a mess-I cannot resist. Look, kid, I used IBM as an analogy, i.e.

Bad luck, um? Maybe you should have used the stock of a company not in transition. Something a little more stable.

I just made up the #'s.

Yeah, I figured, but the real thing was too good for me to pass up, after your imaginary data.

I only used IBM, to "dumb it down for you,"

I figured so; it's likely one of the few stocks that you recognize.

The point?

The point is, you're confusing weather and climate. Noise and signal. You see, there are random variations in the market that are pretty much noise. And then there are things like that "plunge" that were caused by Trump's idiot protectionist tariff announcement. They aren't the same. Would you like me to show you why?

I wish you well, Babbs, when you enter college in a few years.

You're a couple of weeks late. One of the good things Texas has done is to make college very affordable for retirees. This semester, I'm working on St. Thomas Aquinas. But thanks for the wishes.

You have a nice time and remember, noise isn't signal, hear?

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Meantime, another adult leaves the WH, with fewer and fewer people on hand to keep Trump from flipping out and announcing idiot ideas. At the same time, Hicks' departure removes a source of emotional support that kept Trump from being completely isolated. Nothing good can come from that.

Thanks

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point is, you're confusing weather and climate. Noise and signal.
    No, I'm not. Check.
    You see, there are random variations in the market that are pretty much noise.
    Oh. I did not know that. That was my point. You had to GOOG that.

"You see"-translated-filler, empty "argument," as the poster does not see.It is akin to saying, "To be honest with you...It is obvious..."
    And then there are things like that "plunge" that were caused by Trump's idiot protectionist tariff announcement.
    No, the so called analysts most of the time, attribute the market's drop/rise, to day-to-day events, that have/had NADA to do with the movement.

You are quite naive, kid, and believe the headlines. You need to get out more. In contrast, the "smart" people, such as myself,"get" the real reasons for the market's trend, and are not so stupid, naive, ignorant, to believe we are smart enough to "call" the day-to-day reasons, although all these so called "experts" in the press/media, and you, allegedly are. I've been through 34 years of the up's/down's, and understand how not to listen to the fools in the media; and thus, should be retiring next year, with an approx. $850,000 net worth, 95%+ derived from the equity market. I am not a Warren Buffet/Peter Lynch, but that will do.

You have a nice time and remember, noise isn't signal, hear?
    Oh. And remember-Social security won't allow you to by dentures.
    Saint John W

Thread Information