User Tag List

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 402

Thread: Where Does It Say In The Bible That You Go Directly To Heaven When You Die?

  1. #181
    Over 1500 post club Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,958
    Thanks
    480
    Thanked 855 Times in 593 Posts

    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    237815
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post

    If he has a body when he goes to be with the Lord and he is not naked then what kind of body will he have then?
    Sorry. I didn't follow my own admonition to answer the questions.
    There are only 2 types of bodies, and earthly one (corruptible) and a heavenly one (incorruptible). When He goes to be with the Lord, he will have a heavenly body. He's never naked, as far as I can tell.

  2. #182
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,793
    Thanks
    1,246
    Thanked 8,573 Times in 5,605 Posts

    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147821
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    There are only 2 types of bodies, and earthly one (corruptible) and a heavenly one (incorruptible). When He goes to be with the Lord, he will have a heavenly body. He's never naked, as far as I can tell.
    When a Christian will be with the Lord in heaven then his earthly body will be turning to dust. So he will not have on that body in heaven.

    And when in heaven he will be waiting to be raised in a heavenly body and since he will be waiting for that body he will not be wearing that body.

    That accounts for two bodies which he is not wearing in heaven. But you say that the saints are in heaven now and they are not naked but instead are wearing a body.

    So tell us what kind of body he has on now in heaven.

  3. #183
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    A big question in determining what that sleep state entails is determining what part of us is the important part. If we say the body is the important part, then the ones who sleep would refer to the bodies that are dead. But since the bodies decay, it seems like the important part is the spirit--that's the part of us that is aware, and what we usually mean when we say someone is in heaven with Jesus immediately after he dies.
    Is it the spirit of man or the soul of man that is aware?
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  4. #184
    Over 1500 post club Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,958
    Thanks
    480
    Thanked 855 Times in 593 Posts

    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    237815
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    That accounts for two bodies which he is not wearing in heaven. But you say that the saints are in heaven now and they are not naked but instead are wearing a body.
    I'm pretty sure I didn't say this.

  5. #185
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    I didn't say anything that contradicts anything you said.
    So, you agree that after a person dies, he will not be in the presence of the Lord until after the resurrection?
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  6. #186
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,793
    Thanks
    1,246
    Thanked 8,573 Times in 5,605 Posts

    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147821
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    I'm pretty sure I didn't say this.
    So you have always said that when a Christian dies then he will be with the Lord in heaven without a body?

  7. #187
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Paul stated in 2 Corinthians 5:1 that he is currently at home in a tent (mortal body) but will be given a permanent building (immortal body) to be in.
    In 2 Corinthians 5:6, Paul stated that while he is in his tent (mortal body), he is not in the permanent building (immortal body).
    In 2 Corinthians 5:8, Paul stated that he is willing to leave his tent (mortal body) and move into his permanent building (immortal body).
    In 1 Corinthians 15:52, Paul states that the change from mortal body to immortal body will happen at the last trump (and by inference, it won't happen before the last trump).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    When a Christian will be with the Lord in heaven then his earthly body will be turning to dust. So he will not have on that body in heaven.

    And when in heaven he will be waiting to be raised in a heavenly body and since he will be waiting for that body he will not be wearing that body.

    That accounts for two bodies which he is not wearing in heaven. But you say that the saints are in heaven now and they are not naked but instead are wearing a body.

    So tell us what kind of body he has on now in heaven.
    See, you are ignoring 2 Corinthians 5:1.
    Paul says in 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 that he will either be in the earthly body or in the heavenly body.
    You claim that a Christian will be in heaven without any body in opposition to what Paul stated in 2 Corinthians 5.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  8. #188
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,793
    Thanks
    1,246
    Thanked 8,573 Times in 5,605 Posts

    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147821
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    So, you agree that after a person dies, he will not be in the presence of the Lord until after the resurrection?
    I never said that. I said that when a Christian dies he will be with the Lord in heaven:

    "Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord...We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord" (2 Cor.5:6,8).

    At the last trump the living saints will put on new glorious bodies when they meet the Lord Jesus in the air and those who are with Him now in heaven will be raised in those same kind of bodies.

  9. #189
    Over 1500 post club Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,958
    Thanks
    480
    Thanked 855 Times in 593 Posts

    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    237815
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Is it the spirit of man or the soul of man that is aware?
    That's probably one of the things that keeps us from coming together on these issues--the definition of terms.

    If the spirit is not the aware part of humans, then saying that we are in heaven with Jesus in spirit is meaningless, imo.

    But if we say that the spirit is the aware part, then it would make some sense, except it would speak against the sleep verses. Does it make any sense to say a person is aware when asleep? I don't think so.

    Paul said he wasn't sure if he was in the body or out of the body when caught up to heaven (2 Cor 12:2-3). Whatever "out of the body" means is I suppose what we are discussing here. It brings up an interesting point. Paul had experienced an out of body experience, but he didn't see it as favorable in 2 Cor 5:4

  10. #190
    Over 1500 post club Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,958
    Thanks
    480
    Thanked 855 Times in 593 Posts

    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    237815
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    But you say that the saints are in heaven now and they are not naked but instead are wearing a body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    So you have always said that when a Christian dies then he will be with the Lord in heaven without a body?
    No, neither of those. (You've presented a false dichotomy.)

    What I have been saying is that for the believer, his awareness seems to end when he goes to sleep (dies). His awareness is renewed when he wakes up (is resurrected). From his point of view, there is no gap in awareness, so "absent from the body" means "present with the Lord". But in between death and resurrection is some unknown amount of time that the dead person is unaware of, thus it would seem that there's no gap in awareness, since he's not aware of his own unawareness.

    Illustration:
    Believer's point of view:
    Death>Life (nothing in between)

    God's point of view:
    Death>.....................>Life (...=years in between)

    Paul is speaking of the believer's point of view in 2 Cor 5.

  11. #191
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    I never said that. I said that when a Christian dies he will be with the Lord in heaven:

    "Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord...We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord" (2 Cor.5:6,8).

    At the last trump the living saints will put on new glorious bodies when they meet the Lord Jesus in the air and those who are with Him now in heaven will be raised in those same kind of bodies.
    You are contradicting yourself.
    2 Corinthians 5:8 is speaking about leaving the earthly body and putting on the exact same "new glorious bodies" that Christians will raised in when they meet the Lord Jesus in the air.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  12. #192
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,793
    Thanks
    1,246
    Thanked 8,573 Times in 5,605 Posts

    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147821
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Paul is speaking of the believer's point of view in 2 Cor 5.
    I just can't imagine why Paul would allude to being "naked" in that chapter if there is no such thing as being without a body.

    If Paul's words about being naked are not speaking of a Christian being without a body then they must have another meaning.

    What is that meaning?

  13. #193
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    That's probably one of the things that keeps us from coming together on these issues--the definition of terms.

    If the spirit is not the aware part of humans, then saying that we are in heaven with Jesus in spirit is meaningless, imo.

    But if we say that the spirit is the aware part, then it would make some sense, except it would speak against the sleep verses. Does it make any sense to say a person is aware when asleep? I don't think so.
    In Psychology there are the concepts of Id, Ego, and Superego.
    When we try to match these to what the Bible says about the soul and spirit, it appears that the Ego is the soul, the Id is the spirit, and the Superego is the knowledge of good and evil.
    The Ego/soul is the part that is the self.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Paul said he wasn't sure if he was in the body or out of the body when caught up to heaven (2 Cor 12:2-3). Whatever "out of the body" means is I suppose what we are discussing here. It brings up an interesting point. Paul had experienced an out of body experience, but he didn't see it as favorable in 2 Cor 5:4
    Paul's "in the body" or "out of body" experience seems to be like what John experienced in Revelation when he was shown when he was "in the Spirit".
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  14. #194
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,105 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501712
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    I just can't imagine why Paul would allude to being "naked" in that chapter if there is no such thing as being without a body.

    If Paul's words about being naked are not speaking of a Christian being without a body then they must have another meaning.

    What is that meaning?
    Paul states that there is no time when he is naked/unclothed, but that he will either be in the mortal body or in the immortal body.
    You keep wanting to add a time without any body, in contradiction to what Paul stated.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  15. #195
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,793
    Thanks
    1,246
    Thanked 8,573 Times in 5,605 Posts

    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147821
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Paul states that there is no time when he is naked/unclothed, but that he will either be in the mortal body or in the immortal body.
    I just can't imagine why Paul would allude to being "naked" if there is no such thing as being without a body.

    If Paul's words about being naked are not speaking of a Christian being without a body then they must have another meaning.

    What is that meaning?


    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    You are contradicting yourself.
    2 Corinthians 5:8 is speaking about leaving the earthly body and putting on the exact same "new glorious bodies" that Christians will raised in when they meet the Lord Jesus in the air.
    You are right. I didn't see that.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

    Derf (March 13th, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us