Thanks
    Thanked 2,212 Times in 2,129 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Therefore, the faith mentioned in Ephesians 2:8 cannot be the "works" spoken about in Ephesians 2:9, no matter how often you keep trying to say it is.
    False accusation
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    If faith that saves or justifies before God was of ourselves it would give occasion to boast, which is contrary to being saved by grace through faith Eph 2:8-9

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    Exactly. It says 'that' not of yourselves after grace and after faith, not between them. Both the grace and the faith are gifts from God, which leaves out ALL boasting of works. The grace which we're given to be saved is from God, the faith we use to believe in Christ is from God and the ability to rely upon that faith as the years go by and we are confronted with bigger and harder challenges to that faith (which causes us to flex our faith muscles and exercise them and make them stronger) is also from God. He has the ability to keep those who believe in Him believing in Him even when confronted with HUGE challenges, including torture and execution for believing in Him. What a MIGHTY God we serve!!!
    No Bueno.

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we believe and teach that a sinner is justified before God by their own action of faith/believing, then we by default are teaching justification by ones meritorious act, whether its admitted or not.
    So true, man's religion teaches that a spiritually dead person has the power to affect his justification before God, by exerting his own act faith / believing in the flesh Rom. 8:8; Is. 64:6.

However, Scripture declares that one's Justification / Salvation is by the Working of God's Power Eph. 1:19 !
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If faith that saves or justifies before God was of ourselves it would give occasion to boast, which is contrary to being saved by grace through faith Eph 2:8-9

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    Yes, because it exalts the pride and self-righteousness of the sinner; insisting that his own cooperation is essential to his justification, which denies the Power of Christ's Blood alone to Justify all those it was shed for, which is Blasphemy !

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nanja View Post
    Yes, because it exalts the pride and self-righteousness of the sinner; insisting that his own cooperation is essential to his justification, which denies the Power of Christ's Blood alone to Justify all those it was shed for, which is Blasphemy !
    Amen Sister. I am so glad God has raised you up and given a heart of understanding.

Charles Spurgeon !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (January 28th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen Sister. I am so glad God has raised you up and given a heart of understanding.

Amen Brother, we Praise Him for giving us Spiritual Power and Understanding, a New Heart Ezek. 36:26 to Live according to His Will 2 Thes. 2:13; to please Him alone, [and not men], by His Spiritual Power Working in us Eph. 3:7 !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nanja For Your Post:

beloved57 (January 18th, 2019)

On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,296 Posts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Therefore, the faith mentioned in Ephesians 2:8 cannot be the "works" spoken about in Ephesians 2:9, no matter how often you keep trying to say it is.
    False accusation
    Why do you respond to the truth with a "False accusation"?
    Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Thanks
    Thanked 4,671 Times in 2,695 Posts

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Gotquestions.org

Our salvation depends solely upon Jesus Christ. He is our substitute, taking sin’s penalty (2 Corinthians 5:21); He is our Savior from sin (John 1:29); He is the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2). The work necessary to provide salvation was fully accomplished by Jesus Himself, who lived a perfect life, took God’s judgment for sin, and rose again from the dead (Hebrews 10:12).

The Bible is quite clear that our own works do not help merit salvation. We are saved “not because of righteous things we had done” (Titus 3:5). “Not by works” (Ephesians 2:9). “There is no one righteous, not even one” (Romans 3:10). This means that offering sacrifices, keeping the commandments, going to church, being baptized, and other good deeds are incapable of saving anyone. No matter how “good” we are, we can never measure up to God’s standard of holiness (Romans 3:23; Matthew 19:17; Isaiah 64:6).

The Bible is just as clear that salvation is conditional; God does not save everyone. The one condition for salvation is faith in Jesus Christ. Nearly 200 times in the New Testament, faith (or belief) is declared to be the sole condition for salvation (John 1:12; Acts 16:31).

One day, some people asked Jesus what they could do to please God: “What must we do to do the works God requires?” Jesus immediately points them to faith: “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent” (John 6:28-29). So, the question is about God’s requirements (plural), and Jesus’ answer is that God’s requirement (singular) is that you believe in Him.

Grace is God’s giving us something we cannot earn or deserve. According to Romans 11:6, “works” of any kind destroys grace—the idea is that a worker earns payment, while the recipient of grace simply receives it, unearned. Since salvation is all of grace, it cannot be earned. Faith, therefore, is a non-work. Faith cannot truly be considered a “work,” or else it would destroy grace. (See also Romans 4—Abraham’s salvation was dependent on faith in God, as opposed to any work he performed.)

Suppose someone anonymously sent you a check for $1,000,000. The money is yours if you want it, but you still must endorse the check. In no way can signing your name be considered earning the million dollars—the endorsement is a non-work. You can never boast about becoming a millionaire through sheer effort or your own business savvy. No, the million dollars was simply a gift, and signing your name was the only way to receive it. Similarly, exercising faith is the only way to receive the generous gift of God, and faith cannot be considered a work worthy of the gift.

True faith cannot be considered a work because true faith involves a cessation of our works in the flesh. True faith has as its object Jesus and His work on our behalf (Matthew 11:28-29; Hebrews 4:10).

To take this a step further, true faith cannot be considered a work because even faith is a gift from God, not something we produce on our own. “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God” (Ephesians 2:8). “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him” (John 6:44). Praise the Lord for His power to save and for His grace to make salvation a reality!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bright Raven For Your Post:

Aimiel (January 19th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Raven View Post
    Gotquestions.org

Our salvation depends solely upon Jesus Christ. He is our substitute, taking sin’s penalty (2 Corinthians 5:21); He is our Savior from sin (John 1:29); He is the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2). The work necessary to provide salvation was fully accomplished by Jesus Himself, who lived a perfect life, took God’s judgment for sin, and rose again from the dead (Hebrews 10:12).

The Bible is quite clear that our own works do not help merit salvation. We are saved “not because of righteous things we had done” (Titus 3:5). “Not by works” (Ephesians 2:9). “There is no one righteous, not even one” (Romans 3:10). This means that offering sacrifices, keeping the commandments, going to church, being baptized, and other good deeds are incapable of saving anyone. No matter how “good” we are, we can never measure up to God’s standard of holiness (Romans 3:23; Matthew 19:17; Isaiah 64:6).

The Bible is just as clear that salvation is conditional; God does not save everyone. The one condition for salvation is faith in Jesus Christ. Nearly 200 times in the New Testament, faith (or belief) is declared to be the sole condition for salvation (John 1:12; Acts 16:31).

One day, some people asked Jesus what they could do to please God: “What must we do to do the works God requires?” Jesus immediately points them to faith: “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent” (John 6:28-29). So, the question is about God’s requirements (plural), and Jesus’ answer is that God’s requirement (singular) is that you believe in Him.

Grace is God’s giving us something we cannot earn or deserve. According to Romans 11:6, “works” of any kind destroys grace—the idea is that a worker earns payment, while the recipient of grace simply receives it, unearned. Since salvation is all of grace, it cannot be earned. Faith, therefore, is a non-work. Faith cannot truly be considered a “work,” or else it would destroy grace. (See also Romans 4—Abraham’s salvation was dependent on faith in God, as opposed to any work he performed.)

Suppose someone anonymously sent you a check for $1,000,000. The money is yours if you want it, but you still must endorse the check. In no way can signing your name be considered earning the million dollars—the endorsement is a non-work. You can never boast about becoming a millionaire through sheer effort or your own business savvy. No, the million dollars was simply a gift, and signing your name was the only way to receive it. Similarly, exercising faith is the only way to receive the generous gift of God, and faith cannot be considered a work worthy of the gift.

True faith cannot be considered a work because true faith involves a cessation of our works in the flesh. True faith has as its object Jesus and His work on our behalf (Matthew 11:28-29; Hebrews 4:10).

To take this a step further, true faith cannot be considered a work because even faith is a gift from God, not something we produce on our own. “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God” (Ephesians 2:8). “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him” (John 6:44). Praise the Lord for His power to save and for His grace to make salvation a reality!
    This is a good example of making faith/believing by the sinner a meritorious work for salvation.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Charles Spurgeon !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (January 19th, 2019)

Over 1500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright Raven View Post
    Gotquestions.org

This is a good example of making faith/believing by the sinner a meritorious work for salvation.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    How so? The last paragraph in the "got questions" states:
    This is a Calvinist position. Bright Raven is by no means a Calvinist, but the answer he quoted fits well with Calvinism.
    Without faith one cannot be saved, but faith comes only by the gracious gift of God so that no one can boast.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

menno

How so?
    I already answered that, this thread was made to answer that. Try reading it, but if God doesnt open up mans reason, it wont help !

Charles Spurgeon !

16. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (January 19th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,671 Times in 2,695 Posts

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No it is not a work. The verse itself says so. It is by grace you have been saved through faith NOT OF WORKS.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bright Raven For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (January 22nd, 2019),way 2 go (January 22nd, 2019)

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea of faith being a 'work' is ultimately a pointless notion either way. If a faith doesn't follow with works, or at least a desire to works when it is necessary, than it is a dead faith.
    Why? Because faith is not merely a claim or thought, it's a driving spirit. That's exactly where James is coming from when he calls it 'dead'- it's like a vehicle with no engine, is that what suffices for salvation?

Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answer is absolutely yes. If we agree with the overall definition of work according to the greek word for work ergon:

See strongs # 2041:

1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied

1. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind

3. an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work

A work is anything done, accomplished by #1 hand, #2 art, #3 industry, #4 or MIND

The mind is :

(in a human or other conscious being) the element, part, substance, or process that reasons, thinks, feels, wills, perceives, judges, etc.

Psychology. the totality of conscious and unconscious mental processes and activities.

So believing something via the mental activity and process of reasoning is work. The process of decision making is a activity, work of the mind.

Now for instance, the sin of hatred Gal 5:19-20

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

How is that sin committed ? It starts in the mind or heart ! Yet in Vs 19 its stated as an work of the flesh

So activity in and with the mind/heart is a work, this cannot be denied..

Now believing is either a work of the flesh [unregenerate] or of the Spirit [ regenerated]

But now Salvation is not by works, Neither by works of the flesh or works of the Spirit.

Believing is indeed a work and we receive what we believe, if we believe truth we receive accordingly and if we believe error we receive accordingly

Who did the work to pay the price for our sins?

Jesus Christ did, so they are paid for.

There is no work that we can do to add to it, but to believe to receive
    "And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship and in breaking of bread and in prayers." Acts 2:42

"Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind" Philippians 2:2

Pro scripture = Protestant

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
    Believing is indeed a work and we receive what we believe, if we believe truth we receive accordingly and if we believe error we receive accordingly

Who did the work to pay the price for our sins?

Jesus Christ did, so they are paid for.

There is no work that we can do to add to it, but to believe to receive
    Another example of work salvation, contrary to the Truth

Charles Spurgeon !

22. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (January 24th, 2019)

Thread Information