Thanked 4,847 Times in 2,815 Posts

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Exactly Eph 2:10
    Ephesians 2:8-10 Amplified Bible (AMP)
    8 For it is by grace [God’s remarkable compassion and favor drawing you to Christ] that you have been saved [actually delivered from judgment and given eternal life] through faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [not through your own effort], but it is the [undeserved, gracious] gift of God; 9 not as a result of [your] works [nor your attempts to keep the Law], so that no one will [be able to] boast or take credit in any way [for his salvation]. 10 For we are His workmanship [His own master work, a work of art], created in Christ Jesus [reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, ready to be used] for good works, which God prepared [for us] beforehand [taking paths which He set], so that we would walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us].

As you can see you have misinterpreted the entire passage. We are saved by grace through faith, not by works. We are saved to do good works.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bright Raven For Your Post:

Tambora (May 1st, 2018),way 2 go (May 1st, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly Eph 2:10
    Yep, also Titus 2:14.
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nanja For Your Post:

beloved57 (May 1st, 2018)

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanja View Post
    Yep, also Titus 2:14.
    I said
    Anyone who says they know Jesus is a liar if they don't have works. The works are in keeping His commandments.

[1Jo 2:4
    4 He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I said
    Anyone who says they know Jesus is a liar if they don't have works. The works are in keeping His commandments.

[1Jo 2:4
    4 He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

God's Elect keep all God's commands perfectly through Christ's obedience on their behalf.

Rom. 5:19
    For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,924 Times in 2,824 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

works equals merit !

Rom 4:4

4 Now to him that worketh is the reward [eternal inheritance or life] not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

Understand that Eternal Life, Salvation is an Inheritance, Paul when writing to the Galatians in chpt 3 writes Gal 3:18

18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Its an eternal inheritance Heb 9:15

And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Its a heavenly inheritance 1 Pet 1:4

To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

Now if we receive this Salvation, Eternal Life, or Eternal inheritance because of a condition we performed, like faith, or repentance, then whatever that condition is constitutes a quality or qualification within us, which is a basis for merit which is:

something that deserves or justifies a reward or commendation; a commendable quality, act, etc.

That act or condition one performs to get eternal life/inheritance becomes a meritorious act or condition, and there's no way around it ! One may say that faith and or repentance are acts we must to get eternal life, but they are not meritorious , are deceived, because thats exactly what they are !
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we say we are saved because of our obedience to a law or command then consequently we are saved by our merit! Such a claim denies Justification by grace. Rom 3:24

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beloved57
    works equals merit !

Rom 4:4

4 Now to him that worketh is the reward [eternal inheritance or life] not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

Understand that Eternal Life, Salvation is an Inheritance, Paul when writing to the Galatians in chpt 3 writes Gal 3:18

18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Its an eternal inheritance Heb 9:15

And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Its a heavenly inheritance 1 Pet 1:4

To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

Now if we receive this Salvation, Eternal Life, or Eternal inheritance because of a condition we performed, like faith, or repentance, then whatever that condition is constitutes a quality or qualification within us, which is a basis for merit which is:

something that deserves or justifies a reward or commendation; a commendable quality, act, etc.

That act or condition one performs to get eternal life/inheritance becomes a meritorious act or condition, and there's no way around it ! One may say that faith and or repentance are acts we must to get eternal life, but they are not meritorious , are deceived, because thats exactly what they are !

If we say we are saved because of our obedience to a law or command then consequently we are saved by our merit! Such a claim denies Justification by grace. Rom 3:24

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Amen to both parts !

An Eternal Inheritance, Salvation, was freely and discriminately given by God's Grace as a possession to all His Election of Grace Rom. 11:5-6 from Everlasting Eph. 1:4, 11; 2 Tim. 1:9 even while they were His enemies Rom. 5:10.

But if Salvation was based on merit, acts a person performs, i.e. his faith, repentance, etc., that would make God indebted to save them Rom. 4:4 based on works [ergon] they do.

Eph. 2:8-9
    8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nanja For Your Post:

beloved57 (May 10th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Faith is a work, a act of the mind which gives assent, recognition, acknowledgement to Gods Testimony.

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Faith is a work, a act of the mind which gives assent, recognition, acknowledgement to Gods Testimony.

True statement !

Eph. 2:8-9

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works [ergon], lest any man should boast.

G2041: ergon

1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied

a. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind
    an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasized in opp. to that which is less than work

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang...gs=G2041&t=KJV

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nanja For Your Post:

beloved57 (December 12th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First and foremost to be Justified by Faith and it not be our work, it must be the subjective faith of Christ in His Suretyship obedience and faithfulness unto will of God for us that Justifies us before God, otherwise, justified by our own faith is nothing but being justified by our works, something done by us, which is flat out contrary to justification by grace.

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we believe and teach that a sinner is justified before God by their own action of faith/believing, then we by default are teaching justification by ones meritorious act, whether its admitted or not.

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks
    Thanked 4,847 Times in 2,815 Posts

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If believing is a work, none would be saved.

Ephesians 2:8-9 King James Version (KJV)
    8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bright Raven For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (March 5th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If faith that saves or justifies before God was of ourselves it would give occasion to boast, which is contrary to being saved by grace through faith Eph 2:8-9

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Charles Spurgeon !

19. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Aimiel (January 18th, 2019)

On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,299 Posts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If faith that saves or justifies before God was of ourselves it would give occasion to boast, which is contrary to being saved by grace through faith Eph 2:8-9

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    Therefore, the faith mentioned in Ephesians 2:8 cannot be the "works" spoken about in Ephesians 2:9, no matter how often you keep trying to say it is.
    Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First and foremost to be Justified by Faith and it not be our work, it must be the subjective faith of Christ in His Suretyship obedience and faithfulness unto will of God for us that Justifies us before God, otherwise, justified by our own faith is nothing but being justified by our works, something done by us, which is flat out contrary to justification by grace.

Amen Brother ! Those Christ died for, God's Elect, are Justified freely Rom. 8:33 by His Grace Rom. 3:24 through His Suretyship engagement on their behalf Heb. 7:22, so they were already Justified from Everlasting before they do or perform anything. And the good work of Believing / Faith they do in time after being recipients of New Birth pleases God Gal 5:22; Rom. 8:9.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Nanja For Your Post:

beloved57 (January 18th, 2019)

Thread Information