User Tag List

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 378

Thread: Is believing/faith a work ?

  1. #61
    Maranatha Nanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Motown
    Posts
    4,478
    Thanks
    2,454
    Thanked 852 Times in 823 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    26541
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Any act of obedience to Gods command is a work, a good work. Believing on Christ is a commandment of God, so therefore a good work 1 Jn 3:23

    And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

    Acts 16:31

    And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

    The word believe here is the greek word
    pisteuō and in this instance its an imperative which means:

    The imperative mood corresponds to the English imperative, and expresses a command to the hearer to perform a certain action by the order and authority of the one commanding. Thus, Jesus' phrase, "Repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mk.1:15) is not at all an "invitation," but an absolute command requiring full obedience on the part of all hearers.

    So believing here would be a good work performed by the Jailor if he obeyed the imperative !

    And if his act of obeying this command caused God to save him, then he was saved because of a god work he performed !

    Absolutely ! If a person claims one gets saved by his own act of obedience to any command whatsoever, that's tantamount to teaching Righteousness by the Law, making Christ's death meaningless.

    So the Gospel command to Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, a Fruit of the Spirit Gal. 5:22, is exclusively directed to the regenerate [Spiritually Alive] to be obeyed: But not offered to all without exception, as taught by those who promote a false gospel of works the Apostle Paul warned about Gal. 1:8.
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

  2. #62
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,136
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,644 Posts

    Blog Entries
    16
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    48861
    Quote Originally Posted by way 2 go View Post
    accomplished by the mind , gotta it

    accomplish
    1. to bring to its goal or conclusion; carry out; perform; finish:
    2. to complete

    accomplished
    1. completed; done; effected:




    nothing there that can
    accomplish a work


    so thinking not working



    mental activity can
    accomplish nothing



    again the definition you provided says accomplished

    "any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind"

    hatred needs to be carried out or performed to be manifested





    Denial
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  3. #63
    Over 2000 post club way 2 go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,148
    Thanks
    2,066
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 777 Posts

    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    414161
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Looking forward to it. Most folk want to discuss everything but the OP points!

    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Denial

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to way 2 go For Your Post:

    glorydaz (April 29th, 2018)

  5. #64
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,136
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,644 Posts

    Blog Entries
    16
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    48861
    Mans religion will tell you that Salvation/Justification is a recompense for mans act of believing or faith. Thats Salvation by works. They're telling us that Justification before God is premise on mans action or deed of faith/believing and not Christ alone in His Person and Work!
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

    Nanja (May 1st, 2018)

  7. #65
    Maranatha Nanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Motown
    Posts
    4,478
    Thanks
    2,454
    Thanked 852 Times in 823 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    26541
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Mans religion will tell you that Salvation/Justification is a recompense for mans act of believing or faith. Thats Salvation by works. They're telling us that Justification before God is premise on mans action or deed of faith/believing and not Christ alone in His Person and Work!

    Right on Brother !

    If a person takes credit for his own believing or faith in Christ, as an act of obedience of theirs, no matter how subtle the degree, that's salvation by works. For Faith is the evidence of Salvation/Justification Gal. 5:22, and not the cause of it.
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nanja For Your Post:

    beloved57 (April 27th, 2018)

  9. #66
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,136
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,644 Posts

    Blog Entries
    16
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    48861
    Yes Faith is a work, its the act/deed of the man or women who has been #1 Made Righteous by the sole obedience of Jesus Christ Rom 5:19 and #2 who has been born again by the Spirit of God, for Faith is the fruit/work of the Spirit Gal 5:22

    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

    The word fruit
    karpos means:

    (a) fruit, generally vegetable, sometimes animal, (b) met: fruit, deed, action, result, (c) profit, gain.

    In fact the word also signifies:

    Metaphorically, that which originates or comes

    from something; an effect, result;
    a. equivalent to ἔργον, work, act, deed:
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

    Nanja (May 1st, 2018)

  11. #67
    Over 2000 post club way 2 go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,148
    Thanks
    2,066
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 777 Posts

    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    414161
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    If we agree with the overall definition of work according to the greek word for work ergon:

    See strongs # 2041:


    1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied
      1. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

    2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind


    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Yes Faith is a work,
    your highlighted definition
    "any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind"


    accomplish
    1. to bring to its goal or conclusion; carry out; perform; finish:
    2. to complete

    accomplished
    1. completed; done; effected:

    by the definition you highlighted faith is not a work

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to way 2 go For Your Post:

    glorydaz (April 29th, 2018)

  13. #68
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,136
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,644 Posts

    Blog Entries
    16
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    48861
    You dont understand the word work. I laid it out for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by way 2 go View Post
    your highlighted definition
    "any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind"


    accomplish
    1. to bring to its goal or conclusion; carry out; perform; finish:
    2. to complete

    accomplished
    1. completed; done; effected:

    by the definition you highlighted faith is not a work
    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

    Nanja (May 1st, 2018)

  15. #69
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    13,906
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 583 Times in 527 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    I see this same silly argument over and over. It was Gods grace that saved you. In His grace (unsolicited mercy) No works were done to get Him to come up with a new way of pleasing Him. God came up with it all on His own. That new way or opportunity is by sending Jesus with the law of Christ. And in that law we have to work out our salvation through obedience to Jesus and the law of Christ.

    [Eph 2:8

    8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; [it is] the gift of God,

    [Phl 2:12
    12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

  16. #70
    Maranatha Nanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Motown
    Posts
    4,478
    Thanks
    2,454
    Thanked 852 Times in 823 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    26541
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Yes Faith is a work, its the act/deed of the man or women who has been #1 Made Righteous by the sole obedience of Jesus Christ Rom 5:19 and #2 who has been born again by the Spirit of God, for Faith is the fruit/work of the Spirit Gal 5:22

    22 [FONT="]But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

    The word fruit [/FONT]
    karpos means:

    (a) fruit, generally vegetable, sometimes animal, (b) met: fruit, deed, action, result, (c) profit, gain.

    In fact the word also signifies:

    Metaphorically, that which originates or comes

    from something; an effect, result;
    a. equivalent to ἔργον, work, act, deed:

    Perfectly Stated !

    The Faith / Believing that is a fruit of the Spirit Gal. 5:22 is good work a person does once he has received New Birth passively. He does this good work of Believing to the saving of his soul Heb. 10:39 as a result of being made Righteous by the obedience of Christ on his behalf Rom. 5:19.

    Now those who have not been Born of the Spirit, the work of believing they perform is fruitless with regard to salvation, for those in the flesh cannot please God Rom. 8:8.
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

  17. #71
    Over 2000 post club way 2 go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,148
    Thanks
    2,066
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 777 Posts

    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    414161
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanja View Post
    Perfectly Stated !

    The Faith / Believing that is a fruit of the Spirit Gal. 5:22 is good work a person does once he has received New Birth passively. He does this good work of Believing to the saving of his soul Heb. 10:39 as a result of being made Righteous by the obedience of Christ on his behalf Rom. 5:19.

    Now those who have not been Born of the Spirit, the work of believing they perform is fruitless with regard to salvation, for those in the flesh cannot please God Rom. 8:8.
    so perfectly stated it fails the OP's criteria

    work=
    "any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind"


    accomplish
    1. to bring to its goal or conclusion; carry out; perform; finish:
    2. to complete

    by definition faith is not a work

  18. #72
    Maranatha Nanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Motown
    Posts
    4,478
    Thanks
    2,454
    Thanked 852 Times in 823 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    26541
    Quote Originally Posted by way 2 go View Post
    by definition faith is not a work

    Sure it is. Faith / Believing is a work of the mind.

    Unless a person has been Born of the Spirit of God and Given Faith Gal 5:22; John 3:27 he cannot please God Rom. 8:8.


    Eph. 2:8-9

    8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

    9 Not of works [ergon], lest any man should boast.



    G2041: ergon

    1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied

    a. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

    2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind
    an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasized in opp. to that which is less than work
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

  19. #73
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,136
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,644 Posts

    Blog Entries
    16
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    48861
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanja View Post
    Sure it is. Faith / Believing is a work of the mind.

    Unless a person has been Born of the Spirit of God and Given Faith Gal 5:22; John 3:27 he cannot please God Rom. 8:8.


    Eph. 2:8-9

    8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

    9 Not of works [ergon], lest any man should boast.



    G2041: ergon

    1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied

    a. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

    2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind
    an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasized in opp. to that which is less than work
    Amen. Also faith, believing is an act, deed or a thing done, which by definition is a work !

    Paul told the jailor after he asked the question " what must i do to be saved"?

    And Paul responded with this imperative "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

    This certainly implies that believing on the Lord is something done, which by definition is a work !
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

    Nanja (May 3rd, 2018)

  21. #74
    Maranatha Nanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Motown
    Posts
    4,478
    Thanks
    2,454
    Thanked 852 Times in 823 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    26541
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Amen. Also faith, believing is an act, deed or a thing done, which by definition is a work !

    Paul told the jailor after he asked the question " what must i do to be saved"?

    And Paul responded with this imperative "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

    This certainly implies that believing on the Lord is something done, which by definition is a work !

    Yes indeed; a work done by one God has made Spiritually Alive; a work that pleases Him Rom. 8:9.
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

  22. #75
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,136
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,644 Posts

    Blog Entries
    16
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    48861
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanja View Post
    Yes indeed; a work done by one God has made Spiritually Alive; a work that pleases Him Rom. 8:9.
    Exactly Eph 2:10
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

    Nanja (May 2nd, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us