User Tag List

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 397

Thread: Is believing/faith a work ?

  1. #46
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,404
    Thanks
    765
    Thanked 2,955 Times in 2,854 Posts

    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    47793
    Quote Originally Posted by meshak View Post
    You made a false accusations.

    You lied about my posts.

    And you try to silence those speak the whole truth.

    some of us are claiming producing fruit is the core of salvation.

    And we are challenging your claim. so stop harassing posters who are challenging your claim.
    .


    Yes, believe in Jesus is producing godly fruit.


    We are on the topic.
    More harrasment, rabbit trail and evasion from the OP. So I will ask you again. Do you care to discuss the OP points ?
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  2. #47
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    14,625
    Thanks
    4,317
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,558 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    More harrasment, rabbit trail and evasion from the OP. So I will ask you again. Do you care to discuss the OP points ?
    Yes, we believe in Jesus is to follow His teachings which producing godly fruit..

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to meshak For Your Post:

    marhig (February 15th, 2018)

  4. #48
    Over 5000 post club marhig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,604
    Thanks
    2,002
    Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,894 Posts

    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    41298
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanja View Post

    Is believing / faith a work?
    Faith comes by hearing the word of God and believing, and when we believe the truth, we are to turn from sin and obey God, and do the works as God starts to change our hearts. We can't fight our flesh without God, but we are to obey him and live by his will and in his time he will bless us with his Spirit and help us to overcome through Christ Jesus.

    Romans 10

    So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

  5. #49
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,404
    Thanks
    765
    Thanked 2,955 Times in 2,854 Posts

    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    47793
    Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
    Faith comes by hearing the word of God and believing, and when we believe the truth, we are to turn from sin and obey God, and do the works as God starts to change our hearts. We can't fight our flesh without God, but we are to obey him and live by his will and in his time he will bless us with his Spirit and help us to overcome through Christ Jesus.

    Romans 10

    So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
    Do you want to discuss the OP ?
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  6. #50
    Over 5000 post club marhig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,604
    Thanks
    2,002
    Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,894 Posts

    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    41298
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Do you want to discuss the OP ?
    Yes but my daughter has just walked in I'll speak about it later.

  7. #51
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,404
    Thanks
    765
    Thanked 2,955 Times in 2,854 Posts

    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    47793
    Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
    Yes but my daughter has just walked in I'll speak about it later.
    Looking forward to it. Most folk want to discuss everything but the OP points!
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  8. #52
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    14,625
    Thanks
    4,317
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,558 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Looking forward to it. Most folk want to discuss everything but the OP points!
    Then pay attention to what your opponents are saying. don't avoid them.

  9. #53
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    7,835
    Thanks
    3,019
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,165 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    64756
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    The answer is absolutely yes. If we agree with the overall definition of work according to the greek word for work ergon:

    See strongs # 2041:


    1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied

      1. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

    2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind


    3. an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work

      A work is anything done, accomplished by #1 hand, #2 art, #3 industry, #4 or MIND

      The mind is :

      (in a human or other conscious being) the element, part, substance, or process that reasons, thinks, feels, wills, perceives, judges, etc.

      Psychology. the totality of conscious and unconscious mental processes and activities.

      So believing something via the mental activity and process of reasoning is work. The process of decision making is a activity, work of the mind.

      Now for instance, the sin of hatred Gal 5:19-20


      Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,


      20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

      [/B]! Yet in Vs 19 its stated as an work of the flesh

      So activity in and with the mind/heart is a work, this cannot be denied..

      Now believing is either a work of the flesh [unregenerate] or of the Spirit [ regenerated]




    -"The answer is absolutely yes."
    You say that belief which is causal to works pleasing to GOD is actually work itself; but energy/ effort is not causal to more energy/ effort/ potential in and of itself. Not to mention if one works to believe a thing then they don't in actuality, believe it, do they?

    -"or mind"

    Here you claim work can be a reference to the working or thought processes of the mind. But one can think on a thing and even know a thing wholly yet still not exert energy in accordance with knowledge, which is not work but literal chaos and indifference (unbelief).

    -"How is that sin committed ?[B] It starts in the mind or heart"

    Here you state that sin or rather work of either sort begins in the heart and or mind. This is true, as is the fact that temptation is sin; but sin observed or tempted by is not sin committed, but the knowledge there of, and as such, not work. So by extension; thought processes are not themselves work exactly. That in no way means we are not to turn from said temptation or that it will not flee upon such actual work.

    -"But now Salvation is not by works, Neither by works of the flesh or works of the Spirit."
    This being your supposed final point is nonsensical to me and self contradictory as salvation is of Faith which is somewhat synonymous with belief which is not work.

    I have done what you requested after opting to leave. Please do not be overly accusatory towards me because of such.

    peace







    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  10. #54
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,404
    Thanks
    765
    Thanked 2,955 Times in 2,854 Posts

    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    47793
    Quote Originally Posted by popsthebuilder View Post
    -"The answer is absolutely yes."
    You say that belief which is causal to works pleasing to GOD is actually work itself; but energy/ effort is not causal to more energy/ effort/ potential in and of itself. Not to mention if one works to believe a thing then they don't in actuality, believe it, do they?

    -"or mind"

    Here you claim work can be a reference to the working or thought processes of the mind. But one can think on a thing and even know a thing wholly yet still not exert energy in accordance with knowledge, which is not work but literal chaos and indifference (unbelief).

    -"How is that sin committed ?[B] It starts in the mind or heart"

    Here you state that sin or rather work of either sort begins in the heart and or mind. This is true, as is the fact that temptation is sin; but sin observed or tempted by is not sin committed, but the knowledge there of, and as such, not work. So by extension; thought processes are not themselves work exactly. That in no way means we are not to turn from said temptation or that it will not flee upon such actual work.

    -"But now Salvation is not by works, Neither by works of the flesh or works of the Spirit."
    This being your supposed final point is nonsensical to me and self contradictory as salvation is of Faith which is somewhat synonymous with belief which is not work.

    I have done what you requested after opting to leave. Please do not be overly accusatory towards me because of such.

    peace







    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Ok believing is a work. I discussed why in my Op. You don't agree and u contradicted yourself by saying you agreed with me See post 29 and in the same breath you contradicted the point of the op by saying Faith is not a work.

    Now you want to discuss something else which I'm not interested in and frankly i would appreciate it if you begin your own thread on topics you are interested in discussing with people.

  11. #55
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    7,835
    Thanks
    3,019
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,165 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    64756
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Ok believing is a work. I discussed why in my Op. You don't agree and u contradicted yourself by saying you agreed with me See post 29 and in the same breath you contradicted the point of the op by saying Faith is not a work.

    Now you want to discuss something else which I'm not interested in and frankly i would appreciate it if you begin your own thread on topics you are interested in discussing with people.
    I admit that I did unwittingly contradict myself. I'm human; it is a possibility.

    But you saying you don't want to discuss your op with me point for point after asking me to note each point is kinda weak to me, but I'm only human, again, so

    peace

    ( And to be clear; I agreed initially because everything one does is work. But after more careful active thought, I recalled that belief in and of itself is not an active thought process, but knowledge(not work, but potential))

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  12. #56
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,404
    Thanks
    765
    Thanked 2,955 Times in 2,854 Posts

    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    47793
    Quote Originally Posted by popsthebuilder View Post
    I admit that I did unwittingly contradict myself. I'm human; it is a possibility.

    But you saying you don't want to discuss your op with me point for point after asking me to note each point is kinda weak to me, but I'm only human, again, so

    peace

    ( And to be clear; I agreed initially because everything one does is work. But after more careful active thought, I recalled that belief in and of itself is not an active thought process, but knowledge(not work, but potential))

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    O.k. So let's leave it at that. In my opinion you contradicted yourself. I gave my points why i believe believing is a work, you disagree which you have a right to do. Discussion with you is over. I'm interested in someone else's input in discussing the points of the Op.

  13. #57
    Get your armor ready! Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    51,817
    Thanks
    162,142
    Thanked 47,413 Times in 29,237 Posts

    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148186
    FYI
    (For those that cannot view the woodshed reports.)
    Meshak has been booted from this thread. (For trolling and not addressing the points of the OP.)
    She will not be able to respond to any of your posts.

    We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
    They already know monsters exist.
    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tambora For Your Post:

    glorydaz (February 15th, 2018),JudgeRightly (March 5th, 2019)

  15. #58
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,404
    Thanks
    765
    Thanked 2,955 Times in 2,854 Posts

    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    47793
    Is believing/faith a work ?

    Again, yes it is. Its the action, function, deed of the mind, the soul, and heart. The word work ergon means:

    work, labor, action, deed,

    /érgon ("work") is a deed (action) that carries out (completes) an inner desire (intension, purpose)




    Phillip told the ethiopian eunuch Acts 8:37

    And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

    So if one bases their Salvation on believing, their act, they are basing it on their works, no way around it !
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

    Nanja (March 12th, 2018)

  17. #59
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    19,404
    Thanks
    765
    Thanked 2,955 Times in 2,854 Posts

    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    47793
    Any act of obedience to Gods command is a work, a good work. Believing on Christ is a commandment of God, so therefore a good work 1 Jn 3:23

    And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

    Acts 16:31

    And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

    The word believe here is the greek word
    pisteuō and in this instance its an imperative which means:

    The imperative mood corresponds to the English imperative, and expresses a command to the hearer to perform a certain action by the order and authority of the one commanding. Thus, Jesus' phrase, "Repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mk.1:15) is not at all an "invitation," but an absolute command requiring full obedience on the part of all hearers.

    So believing here would be a good work performed by the Jailor if he obeyed the imperative !

    And if his act of obeying this command caused God to save him, then he was saved because of a god work he performed !
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  18. #60
    Over 2000 post club way 2 go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,207
    Thanks
    2,129
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 815 Posts

    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    418460
    Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    The answer is absolutely yes. If we agree with the overall definition of work according to the greek word for work ergon:

    See strongs # 2041:


    1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied
      1. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

    2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind



    an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work

    A work is anything done, accomplished by #1 hand, #2 art, #3 industry, #4 or MIND
    accomplished by the mind , gotta it

    accomplish
    1. to bring to its goal or conclusion; carry out; perform; finish:
    2. to complete

    accomplished
    1. completed; done; effected:


    The mind is :

    (in a human or other conscious being) the element, part, substance, or process that reasons, thinks, feels, wills, perceives, judges, etc.


    nothing there that can
    accomplish a work

    Psychology. the totality of conscious and unconscious mental processes and activities.
    so thinking not working

    So believing something via the mental activity and process of reasoning is work. The process of decision making is a activity, work of the mind.
    mental activity can
    accomplish nothing


    Now for instance, the sin of hatred Gal 5:19-20
    Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,


    20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

    How is that sin committed ? It starts in the mind or heart ! Yet in Vs 19 its stated as an work of the flesh
    again the definition you provided says accomplished

    "any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind"

    hatred needs to be carried out or performed to be manifested






Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us