User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 124

Thread: The Hebrew Epistles and Where Do They Fit?

  1. #91
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,615
    Thanks
    13,441
    Thanked 35,351 Times in 17,762 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    I don't think that you have yet to learn to separate a Christian's "position" in Christ (risen with Him and sitting with Him in heavenly places) from his "walk" (a Christian's actual life on the earth).

    Here we read the following words of Paul when he speaks of a "darkness" which is in regard to the Christian's "walk":

    "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. "
    (Ro.13:12-13).


    Here it is plain that it is indeed possible for a Christian to do the things of darkness mentioned in this passage during his "walk." If it wasn't possible for a Christian partake of these things of darkness during his "walk" then why would Paul tell the Christian not to make provisions for the flesh which leads to the lusts of the flesh?

    If it wasn't possible for a Christian to "walk" in darkness then it would make no sense for Paul to tell them to "cast off the works of darkness."

    In order to understand Paul it is absolutely necessary to know the difference between the Christian's "position in Christ" and his "walk."
    Then you'd be wise to read all of Paul's words on the subject, instead of just picking and choosing. We are where God says we are...not where the accuser of the brethren wants us to think we are. We are dead to sin, no longer slaves to sin. For some reason, you see sin everywhere, and you see believers as walking in darkness and sin. That isn't right. That rioting and wantonness? What in the world are you thinking? Is that how you live your life?

    Do you think when Paul says, "Put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ", he is talking about something man can do through his own efforts, or does that happen when we are baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ?

    It is high time to AWAKE OUT OF SLEEP.....that isn't a member of the body of Christ.

    Romans 13:11-14 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. 13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. 14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

    As Paul says here...."let us not sleep "as do others"......we are not of the night or darkness. Why do you keep insisting we can walk in darkness? Why do you accuse the brethren of sin? I don't think you are reading those verses correctly. We can not take off Christ and put Him on again, and that right there is your biggest clue.


    1 Thess. 5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. 6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. 7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. 8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Tambora (February 18th, 2018)

  3. #92
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,329
    Thanks
    1,169
    Thanked 8,303 Times in 5,433 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Do you think when Paul says, "Put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ", he is talking about something man can do through his own efforts, or does that happen when we are baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ?
    Paul's words mean just what they. The Greek word translated "put ye on" is in the Imperative Mood:

    "The imperative mood corresponds to the English imperative, and expresses a command to the hearer to perform a certain action by the order and authority of the one commanding. Thus, Jesus' phrase, "Repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mk.1:15) is not at all an "invitation," but an absolute command requiring full obedience on the part of all hearer" (The Blue Letter Bible).

    That is in regard to a Christian's walk.

    "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. " (Ro.13:12-13).

    Since Paul tells the Christian to cast off the works of darkness then that can only mean that a Christian can indeed walk in darkness.

    And that destroys your whole argument about 1 John 1:9.

  4. #93
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,615
    Thanks
    13,441
    Thanked 35,351 Times in 17,762 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Paul's words mean just what they. The Greek word translated "put ye on" is in the Imperative Mood:

    "The imperative mood corresponds to the English imperative, and expresses a command to the hearer to perform a certain action by the order and authority of the one commanding. Thus, Jesus' phrase, "Repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mk.1:15) is not at all an "invitation," but an absolute command requiring full obedience on the part of all hearer" (The Blue Letter Bible).

    That is in regard to a Christian's walk.

    "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. " (Ro.13:12-13).

    Since Paul tells the Christian to cast off the works of darkness then that can only mean that a Christian can indeed walk in darkness.

    And that destroys your whole argument about 1 John 1:9.
    In your mind, it does.

    I see you continue to ignore that Paul says we are not in the darkness, but are children of the light. We cast off the works of darkness when we believed and were created new creatures in Christ Jesus. The works of darkness we used to walk in, when we were children of disobedience. Don't you know we have been accepted in the Beloved? Wherefore do you continue to doubt and accuse the brethren?


    Eph. 4:5-7 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them. 8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

    And now it looks like you think we can put on the Lord Jesus Christ by our own efforts. Repent ye is by man's efforts as well. I guess you think our being made holy is by our own efforts, too.

    This happened to me when I believed the Gospel. Are you suggesting it's something man is able to do for himself? Tell me how you would do this....by being careful not to step foot into the dark?

    Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

    Ephesians 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    patrick jane (February 17th, 2018),Tambora (February 18th, 2018)

  6. #94
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,329
    Thanks
    1,169
    Thanked 8,303 Times in 5,433 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    I see you continue to ignore that Paul says we are not in the darkness, but are children of the light.
    You continue to fail to see the difference between the Christian's "position in Christ" and his "walk."

    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    We cast off the works of darkness when we believed and were created new creatures in Christ Jesus.
    Those words of Paul were addressed to Christians who had already believed and were already created new creatures in Christ.

    You are unable to deal with the words of Paul in the following passage without perverting their meaning:

    "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof." (Ro.13:12-13).

    Since Paul tells those who are already saved to cast off the works of darkness then it is obvious that his words there have anything to do with casting off darkness by believing, as you assert. Since what Paul says in these verses completely destroy your theory you must pervert what Paul actually said.

    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    And now it looks like you think we can put on the Lord Jesus Christ by our own efforts. Repent ye is by man's efforts as well. I guess you think our being made holy is by our own efforts, too.
    Then you must believe that Paul was wrong when he told Christians to "put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ" because you don't know how to do that. I learned a long time ago how to do it:

    "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God"
    (Col.3:1-3).

    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    This happened to me when I believed the Gospel.
    Again, the words of Paul at Romans 13:13-14 are addressed to those who have already believed the gospel.

    You say that the words at 1 John 1:9 are addressed to unbelievers even though John makes it plain that his words are addressed to those who have already had their sins forgiven:

    "I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake" (1 Jn.2:12).

    I will ask you again. Can you give me the name of even one recognized theologian who agrees with you that John is adressing unbelievers at 1 John 1:9?

  7. #95
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,615
    Thanks
    13,441
    Thanked 35,351 Times in 17,762 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    You continue to fail to see the difference between the Christian's "position in Christ" and his "walk."
    Just push replay, Jerry. For some reason, you never take into consideration that Paul cannot see into the hearts of all those who hear his messages. You assume he is only addressing believers. When he says to "examine yourselves whether you be in the faith", you would have us believe that he is speaking to the saved. No, Paul knew what you don't. His message is for all who hear....

    When you tell me I continue to fail to see whatever, I can only respond in kind. You continue to fail to see..... For instance....


    Those words of Paul were addressed to Christians who had already believed and were already created new creatures in Christ.

    You are unable to deal with the words of Paul in the following passage without perverting their meaning:

    "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof." (Ro.13:12-13).

    Since Paul tells those who are already saved to cast off the works of darkness then it is obvious that his words there have anything to do with casting off darkness by believing, as you assert. Since what Paul says in these verses completely destroy your theory you must pervert what Paul actually said.
    Paul is talking to everyone....those who have not yet put off the unfruitful works of darkness, which is why he speaks of waking from sleep, and putting on Christ. "High time to awake out of sleep...Romans 13:11 is being dead in sins. Just as Paul says here.....

    Eph. 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

    For some reason, you like to cherry pick those verses that you think proves your point, but ignore verses that make those verses clear for all who read them. Why?


    Then you must believe that Paul was wrong when he told Christians to "put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ" because you don't know how to do that. I learned a long time ago how to do it:

    "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God"
    (Col.3:1-3).
    Seriously, Jerry? So your claim is that those who set their affections on things above are putting on Christ? So Meshak and God's Untruth put on Christ by their very zeal?

    I will ask you again. Can you give me the name of even one recognized theologian who agrees with you that John is adressing unbelievers at 1 John 1:9?
    If what I'm seeing from you of late, Jerry, I thank God I do not seek out recognized theologians.

    And, once again, you ignore this verse.

    Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

    Is being "baptized into Christ" something we do by setting our affections on things above? Or is it what the Holy Spirit does when we believe the Gospel?

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Tambora (February 18th, 2018)

  9. #96
    TOL Legend musterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    21,201
    Thanks
    3,955
    Thanked 19,419 Times in 11,255 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147752
    Glory, when Paul said "examine yourselves," do you think he may have just been referring to the Corinthians who were doubting his apostleship? He was the one who preached Christ to them, so if Paul was false (as they were being told he was), then their faith was false as well...hence, he instructed them to examine themselves before despising and discarding him.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

    [most will be very surprised]


    Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

    glorydaz (February 18th, 2018),Tambora (February 18th, 2018)

  11. #97
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,615
    Thanks
    13,441
    Thanked 35,351 Times in 17,762 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by musterion View Post
    Glory, when Paul said "examine yourselves," do you think he may have just been referring to the Corinthians who were doubting his apostleship? He was the one who preached Christ to them, so if Paul was false (as they were being told he was), then their faith was false as well...hence, he instructed them to examine themselves before despising and discarding him.
    Well, he certainly was doing a tit for tat with them, wasn't he? And they were doubting him. Doesn't that make you wonder about their spiritual discernment? I think it made Paul wonder as well.

    But I don't believe he was expecting to reason with them at this point. I'm convinced he saw their doubts as proof they really did need to examine themselves....whether they be IN the faith at all. He was doubting them, and rightfully so. (Oh ye of little faith.)

    I think he was actually admonishing them for continuing to question him. He seems to be saying, if you were really saved, you'd know this.... how could they not know if they were truly spiritual and in Christ. He has been warning the Corinthians from the beginning...even calling some of them carnal unable to handle the milk of the word. In 1 Cor. 10:9, 12, he was warning them. Let him who thinks he stands take heed... He continued to seek proof....

    2 Corinthians 2:9
    For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.

    2 Corinthians 8:8
    I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love.


    'Rather than question me....examine yourselves.' His patience with them is being tested. (ingrates)

    2 Cor. 13:10 10 Therefore I write these things being absent, lest being present I should use sharpness, according to the power which the Lord hath given me to edification, and not to destruction.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    musterion (February 19th, 2018),Tambora (February 20th, 2018)

  13. #98
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,329
    Thanks
    1,169
    Thanked 8,303 Times in 5,433 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Just push replay, Jerry. For some reason, you never take into consideration that Paul cannot see into the hearts of all those who hear his messages.
    I think that you have lost touch with reality because it is obvious that Paul is addressing those who are already saved. Or perhaps you are actually willing to argue that he is addessing those who do not believe here:

    "To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world"
    (Ro.1:7-8).

    You revert to perverting the Scriptures every time what they contradict your silly ideas. You say that what John said at 1 John 1:9 is addressed to unbelievers even though he made it plain that he was addressing those who already had their sins forgiven:

    "I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake"
    (1 Jn.2:12).

    Saved or not?

    Maybe you can finally get something right!

    Now I am returning to the subject of this thread and if you want you can attempt to try to prove me wrong go right ahead. We can see that Paul taught that the rapture was imminent:

    "For our citizenship is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body...The Lord is at hand (eggus)"
    (Phil.3:20-21;4:5).

    The Greek word eggus means "of times imminent and soon to come to pass" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

    In the Hebrew epistles we see a passage which describes the time when the Jewish believers will be made like the Lord Jesus, and that is exactly what will happen at the rapture:

    "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is" (1 Jn.3:2).

    Now let us look at another verse from the Hebrew epistles where the same coming of the Lord is described as being near:

    "You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near"
    (James 5:8).

    The Greek word translated "is near" at James 5:8 is eggizo and in this verse that word means "to be imminent" (A Greek English Lexicon, Liddell & Scott [Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1940], 467).

    In an article found on the "Pre-Trib Research Center" web site Dr. Renald E. Showers writes:

    "In light of James' statements C. Leslie Mitton wrote, 'James clearly believed, as others of his time did, that the coming of Christ was imminent.' On the basis of James' statements we can conclude that Christ's coming was imminent in New Testament times and continues to be so today, and that this fact should make a difference in the way Christians live"
    [emphasis added] (Showers, The Imminent Coming of Christ)

    Since only those in the body will be raptured and since the only imminent appearance of the Lord Jesus is the rapture then we can know for certain that those who received the hebrew epistles were members of the Body of Christ.

  14. #99
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,615
    Thanks
    13,441
    Thanked 35,351 Times in 17,762 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    I think that you have lost touch with reality because it is obvious that Paul is addressing those who are already saved. Or perhaps you are actually willing to argue that he is addessing those who do not believe here:

    "To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world"
    (Ro.1:7-8).
    Ah, so you're assuming everyone in Rome is saved. Gotcha.

    I hope they all put on Christ like you did by setting your affections on things above.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Tambora (February 20th, 2018)

  16. #100
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,329
    Thanks
    1,169
    Thanked 8,303 Times in 5,433 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Ah, so you're assuming everyone in Rome is saved. Gotcha.
    No, silly. Not all Rome! Only those called of Jesus Christ whose faith is spoken of throughout the whole world:

    "Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ: To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world"
    (Ro.1:6-8).

    Why are you having such a hard time understanding these simple things?

    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    I hope they all put on Christ like you did by setting your affections on things above.
    Do you deny that Paul was telling the believers to put on Christ? The Greek word translated "put ye on" is in the Imperative Mood:

    "The imperative mood corresponds to the English imperative, and expresses a command to the hearer to perform a certain action by the order and authority of the one commanding. Thus, Jesus' phrase, "Repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mk.1:15) is not at all an "invitation," but an absolute command requiring full obedience on the part of all hearer" (The Blue Letter Bible).

    Paul is commanding the believers to put on Christ. I have already told you how I think it should be done. How do you put on Christ?

    Oh, I forgot!

    You don't put on Christ.

  17. #101
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,615
    Thanks
    13,441
    Thanked 35,351 Times in 17,762 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    No, silly. Not all Rome! Only those called of Jesus Christ whose faith is spoken of throughout the whole world:

    "Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ: To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world"
    (Ro.1:6-8).

    Why are you having such a hard time understanding these simple things?
    Gee, I don't know, Jerry. I must not have a good theologian to teach me like you do.



    Do you deny that Paul was telling the believers to put on Christ? The Greek word translated "put ye on" is in the Imperative Mood:

    "The imperative mood corresponds to the English imperative, and expresses a command to the hearer to perform a certain action by the order and authority of the one commanding. Thus, Jesus' phrase, "Repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mk.1:15) is not at all an "invitation," but an absolute command requiring full obedience on the part of all hearer" (The Blue Letter Bible).

    Paul is commanding the believers to put on Christ. I have already told you how I think it should be done. How do you put on Christ?

    Oh, I forgot!

    You don't put on Christ.
    Right, I don't put on Christ. I was baptized by the Spirit INTO CHRIST when I believed. 1 Corinthians 12:13

    Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

    I was created in Christ Jesus when I believed the Gospel. Eph. 2:10

    I actually believe what the word says.

    2 Corinthians 5:17
    Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

    And I have complete faith in the One who performs His work in me. My trust is totally in Him, and not in my own ability to put off the works of darkness or to put on the Lord Jesus Christ.

    Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

    I'm beginning to think you're a worker bee, Jerry.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Tambora (February 22nd, 2018)

  19. #102
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,329
    Thanks
    1,169
    Thanked 8,303 Times in 5,433 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    I was baptized by the Spirit INTO CHRIST when I believed. 1 Corinthians 12:13
    Silly, the following words are addressed to those who are already saved and whose faith is spoken of throughout the whole world:

    "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof."
    (Ro.13:12-13).

    These people had previously believed and had been baptized into the Body. So Paul is not telling them to do that, as you imagine. You are up to your old tricks again and they are getting old and boring. You said that 1 John 1:9 is written to unbelievers even though John tells us exactly who received his first epistle:

    "I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake"
    (1 Jn.2:12).

    And I will ask again. Can you name even one recognized theologian who agrees with you that the words at 1 John 1:9 are addressed to unbelievers?

  20. #103
    TOL Legend musterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    21,201
    Thanks
    3,955
    Thanked 19,419 Times in 11,255 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147752
    Never thought I'd see standard Acts 2 arguments coming from a supposed MAD. Man, things have gotten strange.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

    [most will be very surprised]


    Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

    glorydaz (February 20th, 2018),Tambora (February 22nd, 2018)

  22. #104
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    12,329
    Thanks
    1,169
    Thanked 8,303 Times in 5,433 Posts

    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147814
    Quote Originally Posted by musterion View Post
    Never thought I'd see standard Acts 2 arguments coming from a supposed MAD. Man, things have gotten strange.
    What I'm hearing from those who call themselves "Mid-Acts" is the same nonsense which comes from the Acts 28 camp. They teach that only some of the first century Jewish believers were baptized into the Body of Christ even though they have no evidence from the Scriptures to support such a ridiculous idea.

    And so far no one who calls themselves Mid-Act and teach the same thing has given any evidence either. They think that their thinking is so far advanced that they don't need any evidence from the Scriptures to support their ideas.

    Bullinger said that it is true so that is all they need, proving that they put more faith in what some people say about the Scriptures than they do in what the Scriptures actually say. They adopted Bullinger's view and rejected the view on this subject of Sir Robert Anderson, J.C. O'Hair and Cornelius Stam.

    I wish they would call themselves Bullingerites instead of Mid Act because they are an embarrassment to Mid Acts.

    Just like musterion. Ask him for any Scriptual evidence which supports the idea invented by Bullinger that only some of the first century Jewish believers were in the Body and he has none.

    To top it off, these same peoiple run and hide from the fact that the Hebrew epistles speak of an imminent appearance of the Lord Jesus and that can only mean that they, just like all the members of the Body, were waiting to be raptured. These Neo-Mads have no answer so they change the subject as fast as they can.

    It is impossible to have an intelligent discussion with these folks because they do not think that their ideas must be supported by the Scriptures.
    Last edited by Jerry Shugart; February 20th, 2018 at 10:39 AM.

  23. #105
    TOL Legend musterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    21,201
    Thanks
    3,955
    Thanked 19,419 Times in 11,255 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147752
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    What I'm hearing from those who call themselves "Mid-Acts" is the same nonsense which comes from the Acts 28 camp. They teach that only some of the first century Jewish believers were baptized into the Body of Christ even though they have no evidence from the Scriptures to support such a ridiculous idea.

    And so far no one who calls themselves Mid-Act and teach the same thing has given any evidence either. They think that their thinking is so far advanced that they don't need any evidence from the Scriptures to support their ideas.

    Bullinger said that it is true so that is all they need, proving that they put more faith in what some people say about the Scriptures than they do in what the Scriptures actually say. They adopted Bullinger's view and rejected the view on this subject of Sir Robert Anderson, J.C. O'Hair and Cornelius Stam.

    I wish they would call themselves Bullingerites instead of Mid Act because they are an embarrassment to Mid Acts.

    Just like musterion. Ask him for any Scriptual evidence which supports the idea invented by Bullinger that only some of the first century Jewish believers were in the Body and he has none.

    To top it off, these same peoiple run and hide from the fact that the Hebrew epistles speak of an imminent appearance of the Lord Jesus and that can only mean that they, just like all the members of the Body, were waiting to be raptured. These Neo-Mads have no answer so they change the subject as fast as they can.

    It is impossible to have an intelligent discussion with these folks because they do not think that their ideas must be supported by the Scriptures.
    You're like Danoh. You use much speaking to make big claims but don't answer simple questions.

    How can someone be saved and safe and Christ, and yet risk not seeing the Lord for not being peaceable or holy enough?
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

    [most will be very surprised]


    Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

    glorydaz (February 20th, 2018),Tambora (February 22nd, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us