User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 81

Thread: The Parable of the Prodigal Son

  1. #31
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    So, you do deny Jesus was God?

    That's what I thought.

    The first thing you need, then, is to hear the Gospel so you can be saved.
    If Jesus was/is God, then 1 John 5:19 would be meaningless. God has the initiative to do whatever He wants to. Jesus humbly remained in subjection to his Father.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

  2. #32
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by daqq View Post
    You are aware that you have no clue what I said, correct?
    We were talking about the Prodigal Son. Not about God and Jesus.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

  3. #33
    Over 5000 post club daqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olam Haba
    Posts
    5,525
    Thanks
    1,143
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,283 Posts

    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    368234
    Quote Originally Posted by dcon View Post
    We were talking about the Prodigal Son. Not about God and Jesus.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    Therefore I can only assume that you have actually read the story of the prodigal son. If therefore you cannot see the correlations in nearly everything I said then I can only assume that you must suffer from an extreme case of reading comprehension disorder. If you truly desire to discuss it and make your point then why do you not quote my post, quote the passage, and then explain the passage according to your reasoning and show me where I went wrong in your opinion?

  4. #34
    Over 5000 post club daqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olam Haba
    Posts
    5,525
    Thanks
    1,143
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,283 Posts

    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    368234
    Quote Originally Posted by daqq View Post
    Let's say you come home to your Father in the same manner as in the parable, and your Elder brother, who never broke or transgressed any commandment of the Father whatsoever, is just a little heated because your Father slayed the fatted calf for you, and yet, as your Elder brother protests: there was never even a kid-goat sacrificed for him, (for the goats are primarily for sin offerings, but he has no sin or error, lol). Would you not therefore appease your Elder brother and offer up a kid-goat for him? Do you not have a kid-goat twin of your own to surrender up for your Elder brother so that he may celebrate with his (seven)fellows? Kiss the Son, lest he be a little heated and you perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. For as the Father says to the Son, My Son, you are ever with Me, and everything of Mine is thine.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcon View Post
    Kiss the Son means showing Jesus the honor due him.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by daqq View Post
    Amen, and if not: why would he enter into your house?
    Moreover the one having the Son has the Father.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcon View Post
    We were talking about the Prodigal Son. Not about God and Jesus.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by daqq View Post
    Therefore I can only assume that you have actually read the story of the prodigal son. If therefore you cannot see the correlations in nearly everything I said then I can only assume that you must suffer from an extreme case of reading comprehension disorder. If you truly desire to discuss it and make your point then why do you not quote my post, quote the passage, and then explain the passage according to your reasoning and show me where I went wrong in your opinion?


    Quote Originally Posted by daqq View Post
    Let's say you come home to your Father in the same manner as in the parable, and your Elder brother, who never broke or transgressed any commandment of the Father whatsoever, is just a little heated because your Father slayed the fatted calf for you, and yet, as your Elder brother protests: there was never even a kid-goat sacrificed for him, (for the goats are primarily for sin offerings, but he has no sin or error, lol). Would you not therefore appease your Elder brother and offer up a kid-goat for him? Do you not have a kid-goat twin of your own to surrender up for your Elder brother so that he may celebrate with his (seven)fellows? Kiss the Son, lest he be a little heated and you perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. For as the Father says to the Son, My Son, you are ever with Me, and everything of Mine is thine.
    Luke 15:20-31 ASV
    20 And he arose, and came to his father. But while he was yet afar off, his father saw him, and was moved with compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck and kissed him.
    21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight: I am no more worthy to be called thy son.
    22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth quickly the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
    23 and bring the fatted calf, and kill it, and let us eat, and make merry:
    24 for this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
    25 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard music and dancing.
    26 And he called to him one of the servants, and inquired what these things might be.
    27 ​And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.
    28 But he was angry, and would not go in: and his father came out, and entreated him.
    29 But he answered and said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, and I never transgressed a commandment of thine; and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:
    30 but when this thy son came, who hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou killedst for him the fatted calf.
    31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that is mine is thine.


    1) There is only one who never transgressed a single commandment of the Father.
    2) There is only one who has said that all the Father has is also his, (John 16:15).

    John 16:15 ASV
    15 All things whatsoever the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he taketh of mine, and shall declare it unto you.

    Does that help, dcon?

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to daqq For Your Post:

    glorydaz (January 14th, 2018)

  6. #35
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by daqq View Post
    Therefore I can only assume that you have actually read the story of the prodigal son. If therefore you cannot see the correlations in nearly everything I said then I can only assume that you must suffer from an extreme case of reading comprehension disorder. If you truly desire to discuss it and make your point then why do you not quote my post, quote the passage, and then explain the passage according to your reasoning and show me where I went wrong in your opinion?
    Jesus never left his Father or squandered his inheritance, so it isn't about him i have read and reread your post and 1) it has no relevance to me since it was/is a made up story. 2) it doesn't make sense 3)my reading comprehension is excellent 4) continuing to discuss something that is irrelevant is a waste of my time, which is better spent on someone who truly wants to learn, not argue.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to dcon For Your Post:

    iouae (January 14th, 2018)

  8. #36
    Over 5000 post club daqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olam Haba
    Posts
    5,525
    Thanks
    1,143
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,283 Posts

    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    368234
    Quote Originally Posted by dcon View Post
    Jesus never left his Father or squandered his inheritance, so it isn't about him i have read and reread your post and 1) it has no relevance to me since it was/is a made up story. 2) it doesn't make sense 3)my reading comprehension is excellent 4) continuing to discuss something that is irrelevant is a waste of my time, which is better spent on someone who truly wants to learn, not argue.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    Suit yourself if you wish not to learn, but I never said Jesus squandered his inheritance or left the Father: how can you understand the parable when you apparently choose to ignore one of the characters and pretend as if he has nothing to do with the story? there are two sons in the parable, not just the younger. If you are just here to ignore Messiah try to eliminate him from as many things as you can then, yeah, do not bother answering.

  9. #37
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by daqq View Post
    Suit yourself if you wish not to learn, but I never said Jesus squandered his inheritance or left the Father: how can you understand the parable when you apparently choose to ignore one of the characters and pretend as if he has nothing to do with the story? there are two sons in the parable, not just the younger. If you are just here to ignore Messiah try to eliminate him from as many things as you can then, yeah, do not bother answering.
    You are choosing to over analyze the parable. I could care less about any deeper meaning. Jesus's parables were popular with the people of his time, because they were simple and easy to understand

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

  10. #38
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dcon View Post
    You are choosing to over analyze the parable. I could care less about any deeper meaning. Jesus's parables were popular with the people of his time, because they were simple and easy to understand

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    Here it is, short and sweet. The Prodigal represents someone who has been expelled from the congregation for a gross sin. His brother pictures those in the congregation who committed no gross sin and remained in the fold. His father is God who is over joyed by his sheep's repentance and return to the congregation. The others are upset because they committed no sin, but the Prodigal was the center of his Father's attention. It's really not that complicated.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

  11. #39
    Over 5000 post club daqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olam Haba
    Posts
    5,525
    Thanks
    1,143
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,283 Posts

    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    368234
    Quote Originally Posted by dcon View Post
    You are choosing to over analyze the parable. I could care less about any deeper meaning. Jesus's parables were popular with the people of his time, because they were simple and easy to understand

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    You are choosing not to analyze the parable at all so that you can insert your own meaning.

    Quote Originally Posted by dcon View Post
    Here it is, short and sweet. The Prodigal represents someone who has been expelled from the congregation for a gross sin. His brother pictures those in the congregation who committed no gross sin and remained in the fold. His father is God who is over joyed by his sheep's repentance and return to the congregation. The others are upset because they committed no sin, but the Prodigal was the center of his Father's attention. It's really not that complicated.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    Parables make only one point.
    Find God in the parable.
    The point is always from His point of view.

    So, the father is the Father.
    From the Father's point of view, he is happy when a sinner repents and comes to a relationship with Him.

    That is it. To think the Father prodigal so God should not give man free will, the older brother shows law keepers are losers ...blah...blah....blah... I could make a torrent of illegal side points to the parable.

    So I am afraid that what we are left with is exactly what most believe is the point behind the parable, which is that God loves sinners who repent and return to Him, and is never offended by their past.
    Hear, O simpletons, unto you, O men, I call, and my voice is toward the sons of man. O simpletons, understand Wisdom: and you, O foolish ones, be of an understanding heart. Hear, for I will speak of excellent things, and the opening of my lips shall be right-straight things. For my mouth shall speak truth, and wickedness is an abomination to my lips: all the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them. They are all plain to the one who understands, and right to them that find knowledge: receive my instruction rather than silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold. For Wisdom is better than rubies, and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it. I, Wisdom, dwell with prudence, and the knowledge of cunning things I search out, (Pro8:4-12). And Messiah is our Wisdom, even the Wisdom of Elohim, (1Cor1:24), and his parables contain things hidden from the foundation of the world, (Psa78:2, Mat13:35). And I, Wisdom, rejoice in the habitable part of the Land of the Father, and my delights are with the sons of men. Now therefore, hearken unto me, O children: for blessed are those who keep my ways. Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. Blessed is the one who hears me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. For whosoever finds me, finds life, and shall obtain the favor of the Father. But the one who sins against me wrongs his own soul: and all those who hate me love death, (Pro8:31-36).

    Hear, O simpletons who hate Wisdom and love Death: Messiah is our Wisdom, the Wisdom of Elohim, and his parables and sayings contain things hidden from the foundation of the world.

  12. #40
    Over 2500 post club iouae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,843
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 215 Times in 186 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    110416
    Quote Originally Posted by dcon View Post
    I did answer the question by saying that the parable was simply an illustration, a way of telling a story with a moral. To take it any further would require speculation on our part and would be completely irrelevant. The simple fact is the Bible doesn't say anything more than the son's inheritance ran out, he returned home, his father was overjoyed and his brother thought he should have been treated better.
    Nothing to see here; move along.
    Dcon said it, and I agree COMPLETELY with him. Everything from post #15 on was unnecessary.
    Stop the culling of Cape Town's baboons!

  13. #41
    Over 5000 post club daqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olam Haba
    Posts
    5,525
    Thanks
    1,143
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,283 Posts

    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    368234
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    Dcon said it, and I agree COMPLETELY with him. Everything from post #15 on was unnecessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcon View Post
    I did answer the question by saying that the parable was simply an illustration, a way of telling a story with a moral. To take it any further would require speculation on our part and would be completely irrelevant. The simple fact is the Bible doesn't say anything more than the son's inheritance ran out, he returned home, his father was overjoyed and his brother thought he should have been treated better.
    Nothing to see here; move along.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    And in so doing you and dcon deny the truth and bury your heads in the sand.
    As already referenced in my previous post:

    Matthew 13:34-35 ASV
    34 All these things spake Jesus in parables unto the multitudes; and without a parable spake he nothing unto them:
    35 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden from the foundation of the world.
    (Psa78:2)

    If you reject the full pleroma and understanding of the parables and sayings of Messiah then you reject the very Wisdom of Elohim. How can you even expect to enter into the kingdom of Elohim without searching out the deep things of the parables, proverbs, allegories, idioms, sayings, and teachings of the Master recorded for your benefit in the Gospel accounts, (Mat6:33)?

  14. #42
    Over 2500 post club iouae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,843
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 215 Times in 186 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    110416
    Quote Originally Posted by daqq View Post
    [/COLOR]If you reject the full pleroma and understanding of the parables and sayings of Messiah then you reject the very Wisdom of Elohim. How can you even expect to enter into the kingdom of Elohim without searching out the deep things of the parables, proverbs, allegories, idioms, sayings, and teachings of the Master recorded for your benefit in the Gospel accounts, (Mat6:33)?
    Daqq, there is "Nothing to see here; move along."
    Stop the culling of Cape Town's baboons!

  15. #43
    Over 5000 post club daqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olam Haba
    Posts
    5,525
    Thanks
    1,143
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,283 Posts

    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    368234
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    Daqq, there is "Nothing to see here; move along."
    Says the one who savors only the things that be of men.

  16. #44
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    Daqq, there is "Nothing to see here; move along."
    🤣

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

  17. #45
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by daqq View Post
    And in so doing you and dcon deny the truth and bury your heads in the sand.
    As already referenced in my previous post:

    Matthew 13:34-35 ASV
    34 All these things spake Jesus in parables unto the multitudes; and without a parable spake he nothing unto them:
    35 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden from the foundation of the world.
    (Psa78:2)

    If you reject the full pleroma and understanding of the parables and sayings of Messiah then you reject the very Wisdom of Elohim. How can you even expect to enter into the kingdom of Elohim without searching out the deep things of the parables, proverbs, allegories, idioms, sayings, and teachings of the Master recorded for your benefit in the Gospel accounts, (Mat6:33)?
    One more time Here it is, short and sweet. The Prodigal represents someone who has been expelled from the congregation for a gross sin. His brother pictures those in the congregation who committed no gross sin and remained in the fold. His father is God who is over joyed by his sheep's repentance and return to the congregation. The others are upset because they committed no sin, but the Prodigal was the center of his Father's attention. No purpose is gained by complicating the issue any further. You obviously learned something new to me. Woo hoo for you.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us