User Tag List

Page 149 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4999139146147148149
Results 2,221 to 2,230 of 2230

Thread: Is the Bible the only sacred texts and why or why not.

  1. #2221
    Eclectic Theosophist freelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bend, OR. USA
    Posts
    7,481
    Thanks
    2,759
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 1,268 Posts

    Blog Entries
    90
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1492455
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Don't they realize that the kingdom is in the heart when the saved person receives the Holy Spirit?
    Indeed, one can only realize 'God' by 'God' being reflected within their own being, within their own consciousness, since 'God' is the source and sustainer of that consciousness.

    "Know ye not that you are the temple of God and the spirit of God dwells in you"?

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to freelight For Your Post:

    popsthebuilder (July 29th, 2018)

  3. #2222
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    38,669
    Thanks
    1,993
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,485 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by freelight View Post
    Indeed, one can only realize 'God' by 'God' being reflected within their own being, within their own consciousness, since 'God' is the source and sustainer of that consciousness.
    You have that flair of other gods and religions about you that is unacceptable to a person who follows the Way.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  4. #2223
    Eclectic Theosophist freelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bend, OR. USA
    Posts
    7,481
    Thanks
    2,759
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 1,268 Posts

    Blog Entries
    90
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1492455
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You have that flair of other gods and religions about you that is unacceptable to a person who follows the Way.
    All is well, thank you, and 'God' is too

  5. #2224
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    38,669
    Thanks
    1,993
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,485 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by freelight View Post
    All is well, thank you, and 'God' is too
    You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord's table and the table of demons.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  6. #2225
    TOL Subscriber Zeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,572
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 397 Times in 365 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    150100
    Such a Christian authority as The Catholic Encyclopedia (VII, 645) says that
    "even the genuine Epistles were greatly interpolated to lend weight to the personal views of their author. For this reason they were incapable of bearing witness to the original form."
    In an enlightening lecture entitled Paul the Gnostic Opponent of Peter, Massey reveals that
    "as Irenaeus tells us, the Gnostics, of whom Marcion was one, charged the other apostles with hypocrisy, because they ‘framed their doctrine according to the capacity of their hearers, fabling blind things for the blind according to their blindness; for the dull according to their dulness; for those in error according to their errors.’"
    A strong statement is made in the History of the Christian Religion to the Year 200, by Charles B. Waite, to the effect that a comprehensive review of the first one hundred and seventy years of
    WHO IS THIS KING OF GLORY?

    110
    Christianity discloses the ignorance and superstition of even the most enlightened and best educated of the Fathers; with rare exceptions they were men who utterly despised learning, especially that of the pagans attempting to study the laws of the material universe. Construing in the narrowest sense the maxim that the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God, they construed the Jewish scriptures and sayings of Christ in the most fanciful and whimsical ways. Their credulity was unbounded and "they had a sublime disregard for truth. . . . Their unscrupulousness when seeking for arguments to enforce their positions is notorious, as well as the prevalence among them of what are known as pious frauds."
    Waite says of Eusebius, the Christian historian, that not only the most unblushing falsehoods but literary forgeries of the vilest character darken the pages of his apologetic and historical writings. In speaking of such and other irregularities, Miss Isabel B. Holbrook, a capable student of esoteric religions, writes in one of her brochures:
    "Among the most notorious of these forgeries were gross liberties and interpolations concerning Christ into the writings of the historian Josephus, of Porphyry and other heathen and Church writers."
    Waite further declares that Eusebius has contributed more to Christian history than any other and "no one is guilty of more mistakes."
    136
    "Eusebius has a peculiar faculty for diverging from the truth. He was ready to supply by fabrication what was wanting in historical data."
    Niebuhr terms Eusebius "a very dishonest writer."
    The thirty-second chapter of the Twelfth Book of Anselm, Evangelical Preparation, bears for its title this scandalous proposition: "How it may be lawful and fitting to use falsehood as a medicine and for the benefit of those who want to be deceived." (From Gibbon, Vindication, 76.)
    Chrysostom is quoted (Comm. on I Cor., IX, 19; Diegesis, p. 309) as saying: "Great is the force of deceit, provided it is not excited by a treacherous intention."
    Even Cardinal Newman appears to endorse subterfuge for the glory of the faith. In the Apology for His Life (Appendix, 345) he writes: "The Greek Fathers thought that when there was a justa causa an untruth need not be a lie."
    What could be more explicit than this entry in the Catholic Encyclopedia (XII, 768)?"
    "There was need for a revision, which is not yet complete, ranging over all that has been handed down from the Middle Ages, under the style and title of the Fathers, Councils, Roman and other official archives. In all these departments forgery and interpolation as well as ignorance had wrought mischief on a great scale."
    WHO IS THIS KING OF GLORY?

    111
    Lecky states that the Fathers laid down as a distinct proposition that pious frauds were justifiable!

    And as is witnessed here they are continually reinforced by all sects link to the historical foundation made justifiable by that methodology, which is why I scoff at anyone claiming to be Christian trying to cut ties with the mother of their bloody foundation.
    Trying to awaken the divine principle in the belly of the fish.

  7. #2226
    ☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona USA
    Posts
    6,776
    Thanks
    4,461
    Thanked 3,934 Times in 2,253 Posts

    Blog Entries
    148
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2147691
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Such a Christian authority as The Catholic Encyclopedia (VII, 645) says


    It is an encyclopedia with an obvious bias. Be discerning to avoid swallowing the whole camel.

    AMR
    Embedded links in my posts or in my sig below are included for a reason. Tolle Lege.



    Do you confess?
    Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?



  8. #2227
    TOL Subscriber Zeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,572
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 397 Times in 365 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    150100
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post


    It is an encyclopedia with an obvious bias. Be discerning to avoid swallowing the whole camel.

    AMR
    It's from the institution you agree with on the crucifixion being a historical event, which is the foundational underpinning your ecclesiastical system is swallowing.
    Trying to awaken the divine principle in the belly of the fish.

  9. #2228
    Gold level Subscriber JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    7,349
    Thanks
    23,860
    Thanked 6,762 Times in 4,245 Posts

    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147602
    Just ignore Zeke. He's one of those urantia loons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post


    It is an encyclopedia with an obvious bias. Be discerning to avoid swallowing the whole camel.

    AMR

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

    Ask Mr. Religion (October 24th, 2018),Right Divider (October 24th, 2018)

  11. #2229
    Eclectic Theosophist freelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bend, OR. USA
    Posts
    7,481
    Thanks
    2,759
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 1,268 Posts

    Blog Entries
    90
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1492455

    Lightbulb Shining light on ignorance....................

    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    Just ignore Zeke. He's one of those urantia loons.



    Sorry but thats just not true, just because zeke has posted in our Urantia thread doesnt make him a UB reader, let alone an enthusiast in that particular revelation, and moreso does not make him a 'loon', anymore than your subscribing and believing in traditional Christian pop-theology makes you a 'bible goon',...but perhaps that could be debated.

    At least he challenges and questions what is handed down to man in any book, and sees that much of the 'narrative' may be fictional, contrived or merely parables containing deeper meanings and metaphors, and are not necessarily meant to be taking 'literally', neither be historically true per se,....but what matters is a deeper truth or revelation behind the images and symbols. - all is interpreted/translated subjectively anyways. All points of view are subject to change, with more or better information, insight or progressive revelation.

    On that note, my former commentary holds, since no matter how hard you try or what utility of dogma or evolved doctrine deemed 'orthodox' is employed, you still cant put 'God' in a 'box'.

    So, you cannot hold ONLY ONE book or a collection of books (a 'bible' of any kind) as being sanctioned or inspired by God, while every other religious book, spiritual writing that has risen in the past ages and will rise in the future is not or could not be inspired by 'God', for to assume such is maniacal, irrational and insane. You could not contain, restrict or limit the infinite Spirit or wisdom of Deity if you tried, since a finite mind cannot prohibit or limit the omnipresence of infinite intelligence.......EVER.


    --------------

  12. #2230
    TOL Subscriber Zeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,572
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 397 Times in 365 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    150100
    Quote Originally Posted by freelight View Post


    Sorry but thats just not true, just because zeke has posted in our Urantia thread doesnt make him a UB reader, let alone an enthusiast in that particular revelation, and moreso does not make him a 'loon', anymore than your subscribing and believing in traditional Christian pop-theology makes you a 'bible goon',...but perhaps that could be debated.

    At least he challenges and questions what is handed down to man in any book, and sees that much of the 'narrative' may be fictional, contrived or merely parables containing deeper meanings and metaphors, and are not necessarily meant to be taking 'literally', neither be historically true per se,....but what matters is a deeper truth or revelation behind the images and symbols. - all is interpreted/translated subjectively anyways. All points of view are subject to change, with more or better information, insight or progressive revelation.

    On that note, my former commentary holds, since no matter how hard you try or what utility of dogma or evolved doctrine deemed 'orthodox' is employed, you still cant put 'God' in a 'box'.

    So, you cannot hold ONLY ONE book or a collection of books (a 'bible' of any kind) as being sanctioned or inspired by God, while every other religious book, spiritual writing that has risen in the past ages and will rise in the future is not or could not be inspired by 'God', for to assume such is maniacal, irrational and insane. You could not contain, restrict or limit the infinite Spirit or wisdom of Deity if you tried, since a finite mind cannot prohibit or limit the omnipresence of infinite intelligence.......EVER.


    --------------
    These are the same people that think they can own something while forced to pay taxes on it, so I don't give them much credibility on spiritual discernment while their still polishing dead letters as historical documents and calling spiritual pearls like Luke 17:21, 1 Corinthians 3:16, new age loony tunes, their strutting around bragging about their right divisional skills which is no better than their interpretation on ownership.
    Trying to awaken the divine principle in the belly of the fish.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeke For Your Post:

    freelight (November 5th, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us