User Tag List

Page 40 of 149 FirstFirst ... 30373839404142435090140 ... LastLast
Results 586 to 600 of 2224

Thread: Is the Bible the only sacred texts and why or why not.

  1. #586
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    38,504
    Thanks
    1,987
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,477 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Mind1Spirit View Post
    Looks more like you and glory should stop fighting.

    You two got more in common than you know.
    You are as confused as I thought you were.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  2. #587
    Over 5000 post club 1Mind1Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,508
    Thanks
    800
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 1,098 Posts

    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    726159
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You are as confused as I thought you were.
    It purdy much comes down to God calling things that are not as though they were.

    I'll grant yuh, it can be confusing.

  3. #588
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,969
    Thanks
    13,858
    Thanked 36,108 Times in 18,095 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147796
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Mind1Spirit View Post
    This is why they went backwards when he said I am he....


    Psalms 70:2

    “Let them be ashamed and confounded that seek after my soul: let them be turned backward, and put to confusion, that desire my hurt.”

    John 18:6

    “As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.”


    Psalm 70 is the Son praying to His Father.

    Not some proof text he is God.

    Spoiler
    The Father loves the Son and always hears Him.


    1
    Make haste, O God, to deliver me;

    make haste to help me, O LORD.
    2
    Let them be ashamed and confounded

    that seek after my soul:
    let them be turned backward, and put to confusion,
    that desire my hurt.
    3
    Let them be turned back for a reward of their shame

    that say, Aha, aha.
    4
    Let all those that seek thee

    rejoice and be glad in thee:
    and let such as love thy salvation
    say continually, Let God be magnified.
    5
    But I am poor and needy;

    make haste unto me, O God:
    thou art my help and my deliverer;
    O LORD, make no tarrying.
    "Let them be turned backward..." is a prayer for respite from one's enemies.

    Psalm 70:2-3
    2 Let them be ashamed and confounded that seek after my soul: let them be turned backward, and put to confusion, that desire my hurt. 3 Let them be turned back for a reward of their shame that say, Aha, aha.

    Jesus was not praying they would be turned back. He had come to die, and His time had come which is why He declared Himself so readily to be the great I AM. They fell backward in shock that He had declared Himself God. Just as they crucified Him because He declared Himself to be God.

    Look at this from the perspective of the Jews and what they thought Jesus meant. They knew He was not just claiming to be a son of God like men who followed God.

    Matt. 26:63-67 But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God. 64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. 65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy. 66 What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death. 67 Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him with the palms of their hands,

    Now look closely.

    John 10:33-35
    33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 22nd, 2018)

  5. #589
    Over 2500 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,713
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 414 Times in 321 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    250298
    Quote Originally Posted by popsthebuilder View Post
    Per repeated request in am starting this thread. It will no doubt cause many to turn their backs on me, but that does not matter to me. I have been alone my whole life pretty much, yet never really was.

    I believe that all core sacred monotheistic texts are profitable for scripture unless they outright plainly deny the Christ. This even goes for a few writings that are generally seen as polytheistic yet in actuality show themselves to ultimately glorify One merciful Creator of all existence.

    These writings include but are not limited to the Bible, Quran, book of Enoch, the Torah, the Zend Avesta, writings ascribed to the Baha'i faith, the Gita, upinishads and other writings.

    Let the fun begin.

    I will actually be surprised if I get any intelligible coversation from this except for from maybe one person.

    Regardless...

    peace

    Please leave your negativity and name calling at the door.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Don't know about sacred.

    But the texts you mention are imperative for the understanding of human history. That's why even many atheists (Richard Dawkins chief among them) will say that the Bible is the most important book ever written. You cannot understand the history of western civilization (which I think I can objectively say has been the most successful since its inception) without it. You cannot understand the history of the Middle East/ Levant without the Quran and Torah. You cannot understand pre-20th century Asian culture without the Buddha, and in India specifically the ancient Hindu texts.

    Sadly, China has since buried its traditional past and with it the connections to Buddhism/Taoism that once existed there en masse. But those little commies have done a darn good job in the last 60 years. Soon they'll be the world's police instead of us

  6. #590
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    38,504
    Thanks
    1,987
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,477 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Mind1Spirit View Post
    It purdy much comes down to God calling things that are not as though they were.

    I'll grant yuh, it can be confusing.
    You caught something that glorydaze was explaining but she fights against it.

    However, instead of you believing that Jesus is the I AM in the Old Testament, and therefore God the Father come later as a Son in the flesh, you deny it and even deny Jesus said before Abraham was I AM.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  7. #591
    Eclectic Theosophist freelight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bend, OR. USA
    Posts
    7,478
    Thanks
    2,757
    Thanked 1,760 Times in 1,267 Posts

    Blog Entries
    90
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1492455

    Lightbulb Will bite, but taking the 'line' in another direction :)

    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Go ahead and clear things up then:

    Do you believe that all the things in the Holy Bible are true and happened as said?
    No. A good many liberal 'biblical' or 'religious studies' scholars do not either, because they recognize the there are some embellishments, fictional narratives, literary devices, mythology and other allegory within the Bible (besides some errors, inconsistencies or contradictions within some passages). This would be the case in many religious writings of any sizable volume, conditioned by other factors that have affected the compositions written. That some 'religious fiction' and 'history' would naturally be mixed together in some 'sacred texts' is expected. (note that some texts may still be more or less 'inspired', even with distortions of human imperfection present, I've NEVER denied that the Bible contains inspired portions, wisdom, edifying poetry/allegory, mythology, historical value within its own context, but see no rationale to assume it is wholly inerrant, perfect or infallible. Only the truth that is eternal, of the spirit of truth itself, is the essence of truth or perfection.)

    From a purely secular historical point of view, narratives showcasing incredible miracles, supernatural feats, extraordinary events are not usually accepted as 'historical' besides being 'faith literature' or 'mythology'. These events are not believed by historians in general (or agnostics/atheists/non believers), except MAYBE by religious historians or 'apologists' of the particular texts in question.

    This is just addressing a few aspects of the question of the wholesale belief in the total perfection (or 'finality' for that matter) of any 'sacred text'. Also note that one does not have to believe a sacred text is wholly inerrant or totally free of 'fictional embellishemnt' or 'mythology', since a text can still communicate religious and spiritual meanings and values. I would have you note that as a spiritualist and mystic by nature and orientation, I do not deny the reality of the supernatural, miraculous or the creative powers inherent in faith itself (also spiritual gifts and anointings), which would be powers derived from the Creator and the creative laws, but may approach and interpret these differently.

  8. #592
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,969
    Thanks
    13,858
    Thanked 36,108 Times in 18,095 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147796
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Jesus came from heaven. [YELLOW]You have said Jesus' flesh and spirit was not.[/INDENT]
    Well, His flesh certainly didn't come down from heaven....He was born of a woman, remember?



    Jesus was the Word become flesh, so yes, He came from heaven and became flesh.

    Flesh means human being, like all human beings, with body, soul, and spirit.

    Try to follow ....God the Word (who was WITH GOD), took on the form of a servant (mankind-humanity).

    If you close our eyes, you can picture it happening.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    1Mind1Spirit (January 14th, 2018),JudgeRightly (January 22nd, 2018)

  10. #593
    Over 5000 post club 1Mind1Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,508
    Thanks
    800
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 1,098 Posts

    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    726159
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    "Let them be turned backward..." is a prayer for respite from one's enemies.

    Psalm 70:2-3
    2 Let them be ashamed and confounded that seek after my soul: let them be turned backward, and put to confusion, that desire my hurt. 3 Let them be turned back for a reward of their shame that say, Aha, aha.
    My main point was that it was written therefore it must be done.


    Jesus was not praying they would be turned back.
    Really?

    Matthew 26:39 39Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."


    He had come to die, and His time had come
    True.


    which is why He declared Himself so readily to be the great I AM.

    They fell backward in shock that He had declared Himself God.
    No, they fell backward because God knocked em down.

    Then Jesus healed the servant and offered himself to them on the condition they let his disciples go free.


    Just as they crucified Him because He declared Himself to be God.
    Look at this from the perspective of the Jews and what they thought Jesus meant. They knew He was not just claiming to be a son of God like men who followed God.

    Matt. 26:63-67 But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God. 64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. 65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy. 66 What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death. 67 Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him with the palms of their hands,
    No where in that testimony did he say he was God or even the Christ at that time.

    Now look closely.

    John 10:33-35
    33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
    He said I am the son of God not a son of God.

    King James Version
    Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

    You might oughta throw that Darby bible in the trash.

    Darby Bible Translation
    do ye say of him whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest, because I said, I am Son of God?

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to 1Mind1Spirit For Your Post:

    popsthebuilder (January 18th, 2018)

  12. #594
    Over 5000 post club 1Mind1Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,508
    Thanks
    800
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 1,098 Posts

    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    726159
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You caught something that glorydaze was explaining but she fights against it.

    However, instead of you believing that Jesus is the I AM in the Old Testament, and therefore God the Father come later as a Son in the flesh, you deny it and even deny Jesus said before Abraham was I AM.
    Where should I address my payment doc?

  13. #595
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,969
    Thanks
    13,858
    Thanked 36,108 Times in 18,095 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147796
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Mind1Spirit View Post
    My main point was that it was written therefore it must be done.
    That's a point, but I don't see it legitimate as to their falling backward.

    No, they fell backward because God knocked em down.
    Ah. then I'll have to totally disagree on that one, for sure.

    Then Jesus healed the servant and offered himself to them on the condition they let his disciples go free.
    It was to fulfill the scripture that He lost none. It was not "conditional", Jesus knew He would be taken, and He knew He was going to the cross. It was the Passover. Matthew 26:2

    No where in that testimony did he say he was God or even the Christ at that time.
    Clearly the Jews heard differently. It was their Sacred Scripture, after all.

    He said I am the son of God not a son of God.

    King James Version
    Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

    You might oughta throw that Darby bible in the trash.

    Darby Bible Translation
    do ye say of him whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest, because I said, I am Son of God?
    Darby? What are you talking about?

    I didn't say He was claiming to be just any "son of God", did I?

    No, I said they KNEW HE was not claiming that.

    He made Himself God by calling Himself the Son of God, because they knew there was only ONE TRUE GOD. By Jesus saying what He did, they accused Him of calling Himself God.

    The text I gave you, shows what the Jews understood Him to be saying.
    They understood what you refuse to.


    John 10:33
    33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 22nd, 2018)

  15. #596
    Over 5000 post club 1Mind1Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,508
    Thanks
    800
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 1,098 Posts

    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    726159
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post

    Darby? What are you talking about?



    He made Himself God by calling Himself the Son of God, because they knew there was only ONE TRUE GOD. By Jesus saying what He did, they accused Him of calling Himself God.
    You're a smart girl you can figure it out.


    I didn't say He was claiming to be just any "son of God", did I?

    No, I said they KNEW HE was not claiming that.
    Sure yuh did.

  16. #597
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,969
    Thanks
    13,858
    Thanked 36,108 Times in 18,095 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147796
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Mind1Spirit View Post
    You're a smart girl you can figure it out.




    Sure yuh did.
    Tell ya what. You learn to quote correctly, and then you can show me.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 22nd, 2018)

  18. #598
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22,969
    Thanks
    13,858
    Thanked 36,108 Times in 18,095 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147796
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Mind1Spirit View Post
    You're a smart girl you can figure it out.




    Sure yuh did.
    What in the world did you do to my quote? You have my post going back to Christine, and a 2004 posting.

  19. #599
    Over 5000 post club 1Mind1Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,508
    Thanks
    800
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 1,098 Posts

    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    726159
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    What in the world did you do to my quote? You have my post going back to Christine, and a 2004 posting.
    It's fixed now.
    I think. lol

    Let me just ask you this....

    How did the Jews jump from son of God to making himself God?

    The before Abraham was, I am didn't cut it.

  20. #600
    Over 5000 post club marhig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,584
    Thanks
    1,991
    Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,886 Posts

    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    41289
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You are not so honest. You say no you did not say something that you surely did say. You said making him the Christ. You sure did say it. Anyone with eyes to see these things sees it too.
    No, you've read it wrong yet again! I've re-quoted what I've written and I'm clearly showing you I said anointed making him the Christ, meaning he was the Christ because he was fully anointed of God.

    Also, where did i say that Jesus received the Holy Spirit at baptism? You're saying that you've shown me, but you haven't! And that's because I've never said it. And yet again once people say things you don't agree with, you pull out the dishonesty card. I am not a liar.

    I have told you what I believe to be the truth, so please stop changing my words to suit what you think I believe!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us