User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 65

Thread: Should Christians celebrate New Years Day?

  1. #46
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 289 Times in 262 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    11566
    Double post delete
    Last edited by clefty; January 5th, 2018 at 09:49 PM.

  2. #47
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 289 Times in 262 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    11566
    Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    You make no sense at times. According to the Catholic tradition, the new year for that church begins on the first Sunday of advent, not January 1st. It is not uncommon for churches to have a church year that does not begin on January 1st.


    right following the pope...man’s tradition...at least wiki left this in its post for “liturgical year”

    “The first month of the Hebrew year was called אביב (Aviv), evidently adopted by Moses from Ipip as the eleventh month of the non-lunar Egyptian calendar (that is also the origin of Abib as the tenth month of the non-lunar Ethiopian calendar),[3] meaning the month of green ears of grain.[4] Having to occur at the appropriate time in the spring, it thus was originally part of a tropical calendar. At about the time of the Babylonian exile, when using the Babylonian civil calendar, the Jews adopted as the name for the month the term ניסן (Nisan),[5] based on the Babylonian name Nisanu.”

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgical_year

    Now let’s be clear.

    We believe He created heaven and earth yes? You think He might have thrown in an aid for time keeping? You know, if only for prophecy and such? So we believe too that a people were chosen and taken out of slavery/bondage/sin/lawlessness/ignorance and given instructions by this Creator of ALL on how to live...you know things like how to organize, what to eat, where to poop, basic stuff...oh and how to tell time...days weeks months years...and even not so basic stuff like cycles of 7 years and 50 year jubilees...which included good agriculture practice and oh something you certainly dont give a hoot about...DEBT FORGIVENESS...imagine that!!..

    but hey let’s go back to the perks of following man’s tradition...reasons to drink man! Yee haw!! Who needs to live life abundantly...

    For the sake of commerce, the world generally accepts the January 1st date as the beginning of the new year. So it is possible for people to celebrate the the January 1st date and not be celebrating the beginning of a new church year.


    So two wrongs make a right then do they? And as for generally accepted worldly practice I missed where His people should do that...please refresh me to that throw in some reminder where Rome follows Him His way too please...


    That is what Paul is saying when he says "NOTHING is forbidden." Scary thought, isn't it. But take a close look at this chapter: 1 Corinthians 6. IT brings wisdom.
    Hmmm...you use a chapter which starts with instructions to avoid secular judicial systems and its law to settle matters among believers but that they resolve them within the BODY because WE ARE TO JUDGE EVEN THE WORLD...ANGELS EVEN...and rather than go to state courts the advise is to allow yourself to be DEFRAUDED by your brother in Him...

    Does that smack of compromise or adaption of world customs and tradition?

    You intend to use this chapter which ends with an powerful admonishment to remember you are NOT your own, your body is a temple now bought at a price therefore you are to glorify Him...but with fireworks and a kiss at midnight or an antichrist holidaze?

    Again your body is HIS TEMPLE so didnt He have a calendar system for His temple? Still does...

    So what other wisdom does this chapter hold? Hmmm don’t give a whore your time...but your time doesnt seem to be that valuable to you...no surprise idolatry and adultery are interchangeable...

    All things are lawful...nothing is forbidden...so again you think Paul is allowing adultery, idolatry, murder,?

    But please rather show me how following man’s tradition with his calendar is helpful or beneficial in bringing Glory to Him...His people know HIS TIME...celebrating New’s Years is the worst form of Stockholm Syndrome...yes we are held captive here to Satan his schemes but there is no need for any affection towards our captors their ways their time...

    I certainly do not agree with you.
    that has long been established is why you dont even read to reply to my posts...is ok...time is what you make of it...

    I agree with the completed work of Christ on the cross. From Galatians 3:
    Children of God

    23 Before the coming of this faith,[j] we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.
    So the law is a guardian a tutor to instruct you and teach you and keep you...but when you graduate that is when He comes into your life you now claim your former life dies and is sacrificed for Him to be your Master but yet you can still do as the world does and actually counter what was previously taught and now embrace what was formerly guarded from you?

    Is like learning in grammar school 2 + 2 = 4 but now on the job years later its 2 + 2 = whatever/corruption...that does explain a lot don't it? But that is NOT His people...

    Israel often thought false tradition and assimilation with the world was pleasing...He knew it as idolatry and called it an abomination...

    But maybe you can spare Him some time...time He gave you to begin with...

  3. #48
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,447
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 403 Times in 289 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    227505
    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    right following the pope...man’s tradition...at least wiki left this in its post for “liturgical year”

    “The first month of the Hebrew year was called אביב (Aviv), evidently adopted by Moses from Ipip as the eleventh month of the non-lunar Egyptian calendar (that is also the origin of Abib as the tenth month of the non-lunar Ethiopian calendar),[3] meaning the month of green ears of grain.[4] Having to occur at the appropriate time in the spring, it thus was originally part of a tropical calendar. At about the time of the Babylonian exile, when using the Babylonian civil calendar, the Jews adopted as the name for the month the term ניסן (Nisan),[5] based on the Babylonian name Nisanu.”

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgical_year

    Now let’s be clear.

    We believe He created heaven and earth yes? You think He might have thrown in an aid for time keeping? You know, if only for prophecy and such? So we believe too that a people were chosen and taken out of slavery/bondage/sin/lawlessness/ignorance and given instructions by this Creator of ALL on how to live...you know things like how to organize, what to eat, where to poop, basic stuff...oh and how to tell time...days weeks months years...and even not so basic stuff like cycles of 7 years and 50 year jubilees...which included good agriculture practice and oh something you certainly dont give a hoot about...DEBT FORGIVENESS...imagine that!!..

    but hey let’s go back to the perks of following man’s tradition...reasons to drink man! Yee haw!! Who needs to live life abundantly...





    So two wrongs make a right then do they? And as for generally accepted worldly practice I missed where His people should do that...please refresh me to that throw in some reminder where Rome follows Him His way too please...




    Hmmm...you use a chapter which starts with instructions to avoid secular judicial systems and its law to settle matters among believers but that they resolve them within the BODY because WE ARE TO JUDGE EVEN THE WORLD...ANGELS EVEN...and rather than go to state courts the advise is to allow yourself to be DEFRAUDED by your brother in Him...

    Does that smack of compromise or adaption of world customs and tradition?

    You intend to use this chapter which ends with an powerful admonishment to remember you are NOT your own, your body is a temple now bought at a price therefore you are to glorify Him...but with fireworks and a kiss at midnight or an antichrist holidaze?

    Again your body is HIS TEMPLE so didnt He have a calendar system for His temple? Still does...

    So what other wisdom does this chapter hold? Hmmm don’t give a whore your time...but your time doesnt seem to be that valuable to you...no surprise idolatry and adultery are interchangeable...

    All things are lawful...nothing is forbidden...so again you think Paul is allowing adultery, idolatry, murder,?

    But please rather show me how following man’s tradition with his calendar is helpful or beneficial in bringing Glory to Him...His people know HIS TIME...celebrating New’s Years is the worst form of Stockholm Syndrome...yes we are held captive here to Satan his schemes but there is no need for any affection towards our captors their ways their time...



    that has long been established is why you dont even read to reply to my posts...is ok...time is what you make of it...



    So the law is a guardian a tutor to instruct you and teach you and keep you...but when you graduate that is when He comes into your life you now claim your former life dies and is sacrificed for Him to be your Master but yet you can still do as the world does and actually counter what was previously taught and now embrace what was formerly guarded from you?

    Is like learning in grammar school 2 + 2 = 4 but now on the job years later its 2 + 2 = whatever/corruption...that does explain a lot don't it? But that is NOT His people...

    Israel often thought false tradition and assimilation with the world was pleasing...He knew it as idolatry and called it an abomination...

    But maybe you can spare Him some time...time He gave you to begin with...
    Just out of curiosity, can you show us what Jesus had to say about the new year?
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  4. #49
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 289 Times in 262 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    11566
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    Just out of curiosity, can you show us what Jesus had to say about the new year?
    Sure...what would like first a list of texts on His instruction and teaching?

    Or a list of texts of His practicing His faith exemplifying it and modeling it as a standard...

    There is even a few which combine the too...like “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.”

    That text is not the complete text but one which does combine the teaching and the example which occurred because He longed to celebrate the Passover with them...His followers automatically know passover is 14 days into the beginning of the new year calendar...and know they are to take up their cross because the world will hate them for being separate doing His will His Way...practicing His faith

  5. #50
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,447
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 403 Times in 289 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    227505
    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    Sure...what would like first a list of texts on His instruction and teaching?

    Or a list of texts of His practicing His faith exemplifying it and modeling it as a standard...

    There is even a few which combine the too...like “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.”

    That text is not the complete text but one which does combine the teaching and the example which occurred because He longed to celebrate the Passover with them...His followers automatically know passover is 14 days into the beginning of the new year calendar...and know they are to take up their cross because the world will hate them for being separate doing His will His Way...practicing His faith
    So that would be a no?
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  6. #51
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,447
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 403 Times in 289 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    227505
    Honestly, I think this thread and is relatives (should Christians celebrate: Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Presidents Day, Birthdays and so on and so forth) are rather pointless. It leads to pointless arguments about what days God likes and doesn't like to the point that we forget to include God on any day. It becomes a contest of sorts for people to show off how much better their faith is because they only celebrate when God say too. For my part, whatever I am celebrating, I always take the time to thank God for whatever it is I'm celebrating. To God goes the glory. All day, everyday.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  7. #52
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 289 Times in 262 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    11566
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    So that would be a no?
    No what? I asked which list you wanted first...

    Or did you mean “no I don’t really want to deny myself pick up my cross and follow Him”...?

  8. #53
    TOL Legend john w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Heavenly Places
    Posts
    14,794
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8,853 Times in 6,432 Posts

    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147813
    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    Sober up abit...save the brain cell you have left...or not

    Not seeing what is right in front of you is common with yours...
    Could you repeat that? It's quite noisy at this wine bar....
    Saint John W

  9. #54
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 289 Times in 262 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    11566
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    Honestly, I think this thread and is relatives (should Christians celebrate: Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Presidents Day, Birthdays and so on and so forth) are rather pointless. It leads to pointless arguments about what days God likes and doesn't like to the point that we forget to include God on any day. It becomes a contest of sorts for people to show off how much better their faith is because they only celebrate when God say too. For my part, whatever I am celebrating, I always take the time to thank God for whatever it is I'm celebrating. To God goes the glory. All day, everyday.
    Awww that is nice...”whatever it is”...

    scripture is full of your kind...from “I’d rather” eat from the tree bring fruit and vegetables instead of a lamb...make a golden calf and really worship and celebrate my gratitudegiving Him ALL The glory and counterfeit fire into the temple to worship...all the way to “I’d rather” hold on to my worldly possessions...do the traditions of man rather than the Law of Yah...return to the vomit...

    And you probably rest everyday too...I get it....

    Still want those lists of Him imploring we do as He did and not as the world...do as if He were our Master and we were His slaves and not of ourselves...but His living as He did His Way

    Probably not...you probably don’t have any time for that...all that celebrating and resting...lol

  10. #55
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,447
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 403 Times in 289 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    227505
    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    No what? I asked which list you wanted first...

    Or did you mean “no I don’t really want to deny myself pick up my cross and follow Him”...?
    That means I see you dancing around the question without answering it and trying to blame me
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  11. #56
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,447
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 403 Times in 289 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    227505
    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    Awww that is nice...”whatever it is”...

    scripture is full of your kind...from “I’d rather” eat from the tree bring fruit and vegetables instead of a lamb...make a golden calf and really worship and celebrate my gratitudegiving Him ALL The glory and counterfeit fire into the temple to worship...all the way to “I’d rather” hold on to my worldly possessions...do the traditions of man rather than the Law of Yah...return to the vomit...

    And you probably rest everyday too...I get it....

    Still want those lists of Him imploring we do as He did and not as the world...do as if He were our Master and we were His slaves and not of ourselves...but His living as He did His Way

    Probably not...you probably don’t have any time for that...all that celebrating and resting...lol
    Celebrating God's glory and resting in His finished work on the cross leaves me lots of time to talk to legalists. So show where Jesus said that us Gentiles are required to follow the Masaic law.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  12. #57
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 289 Times in 262 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    11566
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    Celebrating God's glory and resting in His finished work on the cross leaves me lots of time to talk to legalists. So show where Jesus said that us Gentiles are required to follow the Masaic law.
    Actually you should show if His followers in scripture ever celebrated the Roman new year...

    The instruction was left to keep His commandments...deny yourself take up your cross and follow Him...His way...live more like He did...less like the world

    So please show me where He celebrated a Roman calendar holiday...because I can show you He followed the one given to His obedient people...

  13. #58
    TOL Legend john w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Heavenly Places
    Posts
    14,794
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8,853 Times in 6,432 Posts

    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147813
    Only about 31 days until MLB pitchers/catchers report to Spring training, and only 356 days until New Year's.

    What was the topic? Too many Schlitz Malt Liquor's last night...
    Saint John W

  14. #59
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,242
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 289 Times in 262 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    11566
    Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    Only about 31 days until MLB pitchers/catchers report to Spring training, and only 356 days until New Year's.

    What was the topic? Too many Schlitz Malt Liquor's last night...
    Riding two horses at the same time going opposite directions...

    You look like you’re trying...

    a slave to something that’s for sure...

  15. #60
    TOL Legend john w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Heavenly Places
    Posts
    14,794
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8,853 Times in 6,432 Posts

    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147813
    Sorry for my delayed response-they had a sale on "Ripple" wine near by.
    Saint John W

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us