User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should Christians celebrate New Years Day?

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    What were Jesus's commandments?
    Mark 12
    The Greatest Commandment

28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
    29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[e] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[f] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[g] There is no commandment greater than these.”
    32 “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
    34 When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

Study more the relationship between Jesus and the Pharisees. Jesus was constantly trying to show them that their interpretation of the law was wrong. I see no reason to believe that your teaching of the law is any better than what they taught. I will follow what Jesus actually taught as He is the New Covenant.
    How are we to love Him with all...also expressed as we are to love Him as He loved us (with all)...now tell me, how did He love us? what does His love include everything and disallow anything?

We are to love others as we love ourselves...now how is that love any different than what heathens or pagans or muslims or Buddhists or Hindus love? Is our love for each other peculiar in anyway? Maybe set apart? Not of this world? How so?

Please also note the scribe was the one that affirmed this complete love as He loved us is more important than all the burnt offerings and sacrifices...

Its always been “Rather mercy than sacrifice...the just shall live by faith” even in the OT...

Those are but a shadow to the better which is to come...a method of teaching that love before it is actually exemplified for us to follow...JUST AS...His Way His Faith...as He demonstrated in the New Covenant and then signing it with His blood and sealing it with His death.

Over 2500 post club WatchmanOnTheWall's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    cite what? Its the biblical new year? http://biblehub.com/exodus/12-2.htm pick your own translation...
    You don't even know what a citation is or how to make one.

Or that the people forgot their ways as slaves? Well moses wasn’t circumcised at birth and manna fell to teach them the weekly Sabbath count...before for they were told to REMEMBER...
    This just shows your lack of knowledge.

about what the manna? Nope. About moses being given to Pharoah’s court to be raised...Nope. All there in exodus.

for what the Abib? Or that it was placed in the calander as the 1st month...and then the 7th month is the day of noise...you are more like a inverse christian who replaces the 7th day of the week with the 1st but you replace the 1st month of the year with the 7th month...the diabolical irony
    Gibberish.

in exodus...waiting for the temperature and light to cause the barley to green does not occur predictably nor at the same time each year...then add to that the first new moon after the green is spotted well it certainly is a plan...some years the greening is early or its late...moon cycle are complicated as is the new moon sighting...full or conjunction etc...
    The Sanhedrin made this judgement but you did not know this either.

not at all...He did say it is a sabbath but it is not a weekly sabbath and so it floats through the weekly cycle and sometimes would land on Friday or sunday day 6 or 1 and well thats two sabbaths in a row...WHICH MAN HAD A PROBLEM WITH...so they made rules of postponement to fix THEIR problem
    Sabbaths are on days 8, 15, 22 & 29 of each lunar month. I think we've discussed this before.

Yup there they are...the two sabbaths thingy...and about rules of postponement:

http://www.franknelte.net/article.ph...=112&print=yes

they are man’s rules...like washing your hands before eating...
    That's with the modern 359AD Jewish Hillel II calendar only and does not apply to God's ancient lunar solar Calendar.

drunken purim was not of Yah and doubtful He celebrated it but there are those which wish to insist He did...just like the wish His being at the temple during the feast of dedication means He was celebrating hanukah...maybe maybe not
    Yes he did, Jesus turned the water into wine one this feast day.

your reading level? There are others easily googled...but this isnt just about your reading it...

doubtful you know what start begin first even is...lol
    What does that even mean?

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are we to love Him with all...also expressed as we are to love Him as He loved us (with all)...now tell me, how did He love us? what does His love include everything and disallow anything?
    I'll let Paula nswer this one:
    1 Corinthians 10:23New International Version (NIV)
    The Believer’s Freedom
    23 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive.

That level of freedom is terrifying to people. They don't understand it but that is the freedom we have in Christ. Paul does go on to add a little more explanation that makes things clearer:

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God—

[quote]We are to love others as we love ourselves...now how is that love any different than what heathens or pagans or muslims or Buddhists or Hindus love? Is our love for each other peculiar in anyway? Maybe set apart? Not of this world? How so?[/quoote] I supose the main difference lies in why. See verse 31 immediately above.

Please also note the scribe was the one that affirmed this complete love as He loved us is more important than all the burnt offerings and sacrifices...

Its always been “Rather mercy than sacrifice...the just shall live by faith” even in the OT...

Those are but a shadow to the better which is to come...a method of teaching that love before it is actually exemplified for us to follow...JUST AS...His Way His Faith...as He demonstrated in the New Covenant and then signing it with His blood and sealing it with His death.
    And now the Better has come and you cling to the law instead thinking it gives you something it does not, indeed, cannot give you. Following the law means nothing unless you can follow ALL the law (and you MUST follow all the law perfectly for it to be of any benefit to you) and since there is no Temple to make offerings there is no possible way you can keep all the law. So tell me again how keeping a law I cannot possibly keep is better for me than placing my faith in Jesus as my Lord and Savior and trusting to His completed work on the cross?
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

What are my fruits today?

Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

"Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,149 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchmanOnTheWall View Post
    At the end of the day learning takes effort and if you really were keen to know when your Lord and saviour was born you'd read and watch way more than I gave here. I did.
    Lambs were born in the spring not the fall.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Lambs were born in the spring not the fall.
    Lambs are Lambs for a whole year (at least). And why would God take the Shepherds away from new born lambs that need nursing. By September they would be able to walk and be better protected by their mothers, leaving the Shepherds free to take a wonder over to see the King.

Besides this is not scientific. Just read the post I gave you originally.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,149 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And why would God take the Shepherds away from new born lambs that need nursing.
    "Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields keeping watch over their flock by night." (Luke 2:8)

The shepherds were overseeing the birthing of the lambs.

Mary consented to becoming pregnant in the sixth month. Nine months later Jesus was born in the first month (Nisan)

Passover lambs were killed in the first month.

They were born in the spring and died a year later at Passover.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    "Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields keeping watch over their flock by night." (Luke 2:8)

The shepherds were overseeing the birthing of the lambs.
    You are adding to the text.

Mary consented to becoming pregnant in the sixth month. Nine months later Jesus was born in the first month (Nisan)
    Based on what verse?

Passover lambs were killed in the first month.

They were born in the spring and died a year later at Passover.
    Sure but that fact does not determine when Jesus was born. If you're not going to read the post I gave you or watch the video it's pointless talking to you. Unless you study you will remain as clueless as you already are.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,932 Times in 8,381 Posts

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still a bit hung over....Just what was the topic of this thread again?
    Saint John W

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't even know what a citation is or how to make one.This just shows your lack of knowledge. Gibberish.The Sanhedrin made this judgement but you did not know this either. Sabbaths are on days 8, 15, 22 & 29 of each lunar month. I think we've discussed this before. That's with the modern 359AD Jewish Hillel II calendar only and does not apply to God's ancient lunar solar Calendar. Yes he did, Jesus turned the water into wine one this feast day. What does that even mean?
    Well at least that is a new one...that water into wine was for Purim for them to drink till they fall down...but I like the argument it wasn’t even alcoholic better...

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    Still a bit hung over....Just what was the topic of this thread again?
    We were just talking about Purim...hmmm festivals to drink...sounds like judiasing if ever I heard it...lol

Thanks
    Thanked 11,932 Times in 8,381 Posts

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were just talking about Purim...hmmm festivals to drink...sounds like judiasing if ever I heard it...lol
    Sorry for my late response-I was at "Miller Time." What was the subject again?
    Saint John W

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    I'll let Paula nswer this one:
    1 Corinthians 10:23New International Version (NIV)
    The Believer’s Freedom
    23 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive.
    Oh ok so the things He did do are because they ARE beneficial...and He didnt do things that were not...
    Oh ok so the things He did do are because they ARE constructive...and He didnt do things that were not...

Makes sense, is why Paul could say copy me (JUST) as I copy Christ and not be a liar

Did you happen to keep reading? “Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s will being”

So how you looking out for my benefit if you distract me with the pope made calendar festival, insisting staying up to midnight as if that is when the day begins and drink it up?

Following your logic on this I could do anything at all as long as I give Him the glory...many have even said God told them to kill, steal, fornicate etc...but hey, whatever you do as long as you give Him the glory right?

Oh wait NO...Paul concludes give no offense to Jews, Gentiles or the Church of God...

That level of freedom is terrifying to people. They don't understand it but that is the freedom we have in Christ. Paul does go on to add a little more explanation that makes things clearer:

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God—
    Oh you DID read the text...so how does celebrating a man made holiday on a man made calendar (pope even) give glory to the One Who created His own calendar and festivals...but hey reject those cuz they dont have fireworks...lol

I supose the main difference lies in why. See verse 31 immediately above.
    oh you mean WHATEVER could include the golden calf? I mean they thought it was bringing Him glory...even Aaron went along

And now the Better has come and you cling to the law instead thinking it gives you something it does not, indeed, cannot give you. Following the law means nothing unless you can follow ALL the law (and you MUST follow all the law perfectly for it to be of any benefit to you) and since there is no Temple to make offerings there is no possible way you can keep all the law. So tell me again how keeping a law I cannot possibly keep is better for me than placing my faith in Jesus as my Lord and Savior and trusting to His completed work on the cross?
    Lol...so you dont hit a homerun every at bat...so just quit playing...throw a tantrum and call the game stoopid...I used to know kids like that growing up...I guess they do grow up...

When you play a game do you first ask “what rule dont I have to keep?”

When you enter a relationship do you first ask “ok honey what is the least I need to do for you?”

The work completed at the cross was only to prove He knew what is best for you...guess you don't agree...

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    Sorry for my late response-I was at "Miller Time." What was the subject again?
    Sober up abit...save the brain cell you have left...or not

Not seeing what is right in front of you is common with yours...

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at least that is a new one...that water into wine was for Purim for them to drink till they fall down...but I like the argument it wasn’t even alcoholic better...
    No way! It was the best 90 gallons of wine ever tasted in history.

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh ok so the things He did do are because they ARE beneficial...and He didnt do things that were not...
    Oh ok so the things He did do are because they ARE constructive...and He didnt do things that were not...

Makes sense, is why Paul could say copy me (JUST) as I copy Christ and not be a liar

Did you happen to keep reading? “Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s will being”

So how you looking out for my benefit if you distract me with the pope made calendar festival, insisting staying up to midnight as if that is when the day begins and drink it up?

Following your logic on this I could do anything at all as long as I give Him the glory...many have even said God told them to kill, steal, fornicate etc...but hey, whatever you do as long as you give Him the glory right?

Oh wait NO...Paul concludes give no offense to Jews, Gentiles or the Church of God...

Oh you DID read the text...so how does celebrating a man made holiday on a man made calendar (pope even) give glory to the One Who created His own calendar and festivals...but hey reject those cuz they dont have fireworks...lol
    You make no sense at times. According to the Catholic tradition, the new year for that church begins on the first Sunday of advent, not January 1st. It is not uncommon for churches to have a church year that does not begin on January 1st. For the sake of commerce, the world generally accepts the January 1st date as the beginning of the new year. So it is possible for people to celebrate the the January 1st date and not be celebrating the beginning of a new church year.

oh you mean WHATEVER could include the golden calf? I mean they thought it was bringing Him glory...even Aaron went along
    That is what Paul is saying when he says "NOTHING is forbidden." Scary thought, isn't it. But take a close look at this chapter: 1 Corinthians 6. IT brings wisdom.

Lol...so you dont hit a homerun every at bat...so just quit playing...throw a tantrum and call the game stoopid...I used to know kids like that growing up...I guess they do grow up...

When you play a game do you first ask “what rule dont I have to keep?”

When you enter a relationship do you first ask “ok honey what is the least I need to do for you?”

The work completed at the cross was only to prove He knew what is best for you...guess you don't agree...
    I certainly do not agree with you. I agree with the completed work of Christ on the cross. From Galatians 3:
    Children of God

23 Before the coming of this faith,[j] we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

What are my fruits today?

Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

"Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

Thread Information