User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Christians celebrate New Years Day?

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    “The original goal of the Gregorian calendar was to change the date of Easter.
    In 1582, when Pope Gregory XIII introduced his Gregorian calendar, Europe adhered to the Julian calendar, first implemented by Julius Caesar in 46 B.C. Since the Roman emperor’s system miscalculated the length of the solar year by 11 minutes, the calendar had since fallen out of sync with the seasons. This concerned Gregory because it meant that Easter, traditionally observed on March 21, fell further away from the spring equinox with each passing year.

http://www.history.com/news/6-things...orian-calendar

There were other reasons which should concern Christians desirous to be like Jesus.

Though Pope Gregory’s papal bull reforming the calendar had no power beyond the Catholic Church, Catholic countries—including Spain, Portugal and Italy—swiftly adopted the new system for their civil affairs. European Protestants, however, largely rejected the change because of its ties to the papacy, fearing it was an attempt to silence their movement. It wasn’t until 1700 that Protestant Germany switched over, and England held out until 1752. Orthodox countries clung to the Julian calendar until even later, and their national churches have never embraced Gregory’s reforms.Ibid.

The biblical new year begins in the spring...
    Should they? No.

Could they? Yes.

As long as they choose or choose not, do all to the glory of God.
    "And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship and in breaking of bread and in prayers." Acts 2:42

"Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind" Philippians 2:2

Pro scripture = Protestant

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
    Should they? No.

Could they? Yes.

As long as they choose or choose not, do all to the glory of God.
    Golden calf worship.

Should they? No.

Could they? Sure.

They chose to and all to the glory of God...

Hmmm...

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you wish to see? Do you want to know if you cause offense to a jealous One of Israel?

Are you His bride? Could you explain to your wife a photo of another woman in your wallet? “Oh I just carry it to look at it and share it with friends and family...but I think of you when I do”

Yes I know all to well you do not see a reason to divorce yourself from the world its ways...to die to self and take Him His on...to be a peculiar people doing JUST AS He did and HIS WAY

This is not for you then...man’s traditions is your law not His wish for you...

He was clear when His calendar year begins for His people but you see no reason...to celebrate what was once offered to idols and then baptized into your faith by one a pope gregory who still wishes to counterfeit and supplant Him/His way...

Well you certainly giving unto Caesar...but He still awaits your gratitude for giving you the Sun and Moon and the earth and everything in it...the reality of TIME itself...and with its Sabbath...but I am certain you reject that too...seeing no reason to celebrate it with your family and friends...

I pray someday you do...

BTW I note in your avatar you are on horseback...can you ride two horses unequally yoked each headed a different path? Please, for the love of Yah, see and choose again...
    I am not now nor have I ever been subject to Mosaic law. I am not a Jew, I am a Christian so I am not judged by what holidays I do or do not keep.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

What are my fruits today?

Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

"Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    I am not now nor have I ever been subject to Mosaic law. I am not a Jew, I am a Christian so I am not judged by what holidays I do or do not keep.
    Besides baring false witness here are some others you miss...and are not Mosiac law...

I am God there is no other...

Make no false worship...

Remeber my name...

Keep my Sabbath...

Dont steal (compromise with the world after claiming to be His is stealing company time and resource ya dig?)

Again all these not Mosiac law...

Here are they that keep the commandments of God and the Faith OF His Son...

Did His Son’s faith include beginnings with Janus?

Not only do others judge you for the holidays you keep but Him His way will be asked of you...by Him the giver of His Law not Moses

May you repent...turn back to your first love...you did once yes? Long ago?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides baring false witness here are some others you miss...and are not Mosiac law...

I am God there is no other...

Make no false worship...

Remeber my name...

Keep my Sabbath...

Dont steal (compromise with the world after claiming to be His is stealing company time and resource ya dig?)

Again all these not Mosiac law...

Here are they that keep the commandments of God and the Faith OF His Son...

Did His Son’s faith include beginnings with Janus?

Not only do others judge you for the holidays you keep but Him His way will be asked of you...by Him the giver of His Law not Moses

May you repent...turn back to your first love...you did once yes? Long ago?
    Christ died to free me from the law. Why n the world would I want to put myself under your law?

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

"Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CabinetMaker For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (January 3rd, 2018)

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    Christ died to free me from the law. Why n the world would I want to put myself under your law?
    Lol...my law?...First its moses’...now mine...

“If you love My keep My commandments do what thou whilst you are lawless” there fixed it for you...

Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should Christians celebrate New Years? No. It is a sin to pop firecrackers anyways. Bottle rockets in particular will get you sent strait to the fires of hell. Fifth ring, cook.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to User Name For Your Post:

CabinetMaker (January 2nd, 2018)

Over 2500 post club WatchmanOnTheWall's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    I celebrate his death not his birth.
    You might want to celebrate his resurrection, we all die.

Scripture does not reveal the date of his birth.
    Not if you can't be bothered to take the time and study it.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    Here is a 27 minute video study that goes into the relevant passages, together with his illustrating of the timeline of Jesus' conception and birth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjPwltc5_74&app=desktop

Though it'd be quicker to just read Watchman's post.

Either way, these things are not always a soundbyte or two, but demand a bit more elbow grease.

Act 17: 11, 12.
    Thank you Danoh. Most 'Christians' can't go beyond a surface reading of scripture or whatever their pastor says on Sunday. For those who really want to know Jesus we can't but help to read and watch as much as possible.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop. You are arguing from silence and going back to fill it...He is clear the first of the year began the first of this month...not initiating a new religious year starting opposite end of the year...

These people had been so long in Egypt they had no idea of anything else but pharoahs timing...IF THAT
    Citation needed. (You make stuff up and believe it. This is delusional)

Yah had to clue them into the sequence of days in the week as they had not a clue...now moses was trained and knew more but again of Egypt’s way
    Again you are postulating.
    ...here he is being instructed of what His counting was...green barley month is 1st month...trumpets blow 6 months later...

Even the placement of text indicates the first of the calendar year was instructed first THEN the feast of trumptets...
    Citation!

This start was so random
    Yeah! We have a God who's so random. No plan. Just making it up as He goes along. Where do you get this stuff from?
    the count had to be started when the barley began to green...then the year and all its festivals commenced...the seventh month had a fixed day sabbath which really messed things up
    What! God messed things up??? It was God who said Trumpets would be a Sabbath or do you think God is a bumbling idiot.
    as there might be two sabbaths in a row
    Right two Sabbaths in one week! you are so confused.
    ...so MAN made rules for postponements and so it goes...
    The Torah are God's rules not man's rules.

Sure jews celebrate a civil new year the seventh month...but they also drunkenly celebrate Purim also not of Yah...so whatever...
    You have no idea about Purim. Or any of the feasts that Jesus kept.

of course they wish to imply turn means NEW YEAR...but turn also means end of harvest season, days and nights equal and the cycle turning into longer nights...

...sigh

NO.

(Lol...To quote another jewish poster here on TOL...)

But please stop.

https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/features/1.615883
    Wow, great source Elon Gilad
    Writer / Editor at Haaretz He's not even Jewish let alone a Christian. His Bachelor of Arts (BA) was in Philosophy and Political Science. You follow the teachings of a second rate philosopher.

yes and because of this men later had to add the rules of postponement...learned men...scholarly men I am sure but well...men...with a tradition to maintain...much like yourself...
    You need to start again.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol...my law?...First its moses’...now mine...

“If you love My keep My commandments do what thou whilst you are lawless” there fixed it for you...
    What were Jesus's commandments?
    Mark 12
    The Greatest Commandment

28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
    29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[e] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[f] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[g] There is no commandment greater than these.”
    32 “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
    34 When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

Study more the relationship between Jesus and the Pharisees. Jesus was constantly trying to show them that their interpretation of the law was wrong. I see no reason to believe that your teaching of the law is any better than what they taught. I will follow what Jesus actually taught as He is the New Covenant.

Thanks
    Thanked 46,904 Times in 28,964 Posts

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had some nice relaxing fun with family and friends on New Years day.
    Great time!

We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
    They already know monsters exist.
    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tambora For Your Post:

glorydaz (January 2nd, 2018),JudgeRightly (January 3rd, 2018),steko (January 2nd, 2018)

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchmanOnTheWall View Post
    Citation needed. (You make stuff up and believe it. This is delusional)
    cite what? Its the biblical new year? http://biblehub.com/exodus/12-2.htm pick your own translation...

Or that the people forgot their ways as slaves? Well moses wasn’t circumcised at birth and manna fell to teach them the weekly Sabbath count...before for they were told to REMEMBER...

Again you are postulating.
    about what the manna? Nope. About moses being given to Pharoah’s court to be raised...Nope. All there in exodus.

Citation!
    for what the Abib? Or that it was placed in the calander as the 1st month...and then the 7th month is the day of noise...you are more like a inverse christian who replaces the 7th day of the week with the 1st but you replace the 1st month of the year with the 7th month...the diabolical irony

Yeah! We have a God who's so random. No plan. Just making it up as He goes along. Where do you get this stuff from?
    in exodus...waiting for the temperature and light to cause the barley to green does not occur predictably nor at the same time each year...then add to that the first new moon after the green is spotted well it certainly is a plan...some years the greening is early or its late...moon cycle are complicated as is the new moon sighting...full or conjunction etc...

What! God messed things up??? It was God who said Trumpets would be a Sabbath or do you think God is a bumbling idiot.
    not at all...He did say it is a sabbath but it is not a weekly sabbath and so it floats through the weekly cycle and sometimes would land on Friday or sunday day 6 or 1 and well thats two sabbaths in a row...WHICH MAN HAD A PROBLEM WITH...so they made rules of postponement to fix THEIR problem

Right two Sabbaths in one week! you are so confused. The Torah are God's rules not man's rules.
    Yup there they are...the two sabbaths thingy...and about rules of postponement:

http://www.franknelte.net/article.ph...=112&print=yes

they are man’s rules...like washing your hands before eating...

You have no idea about Purim. Or any of the feasts that Jesus kept.
    drunken purim was not of Yah and doubtful He celebrated it but there are those which wish to insist He did...just like the wish His being at the temple during the feast of dedication means He was celebrating hanukah...maybe maybe not

Wow, great source Elon Gilad
    Writer / Editor at Haaretz He's not even Jewish let alone a Christian. His Bachelor of Arts (BA) was in Philosophy and Political Science. You follow the teachings of a second rate philosopher.
    your reading level? There are others easily googled...but this isnt just about your reading it...

You need to start again.
    doubtful you know what start begin first even is...lol

Thanks
    Thanked 12,315 Times in 8,584 Posts

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for my late input-I've been hungover.
    Saint John W

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john w For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (January 3rd, 2018),Tambora (January 3rd, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread Information