User Tag List

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 309

Thread: Jesus, Paul and the Law

  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    13,742
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,450 Posts

    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    354738

    Jesus, Paul and the Law

    Many believe that there is a conflict between what Jesus taught and what Paul taught concerning the law. There is no conflict.

    WHAT IS THE LAW?

    The law is the nature and character of God. It was given to Israel at Mount Siani as a keeper until Christ should arrive. After the arrival of Christ the Jews were no longer required to live according to the law, this is why the law was abolished, Ephesians 2:15. They were called to live by the Holy Spirit of Christ and by faith, This is why Paul wrote, "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17.

    The law was abolished by the death of Christ.

    "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us and took it out of the way NAILING IT TO HIS CROSS" Colossians 2:14

    The law was contrary to us because no one could do it or keep it. It is a human impossibility.

    While Jesus was dying on the cross God tore the veil that covered the "Holy of Holies" from the top to the bottom, Matthew 27:51. This signified the end of the Old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion. The New Covenant that God established with Israel, Hebrews 8:7,8. Is not the written law or the commandments. The law is now spiritual and is written on the hearts of believers by the Holy Spirit, Hebrews 8:10. The Christian now lives by the Spirit of Christ and not the letter of the law. The New Covenant is Christ himself, Hebrews 9:11-14.

    The purpose of the law is to reveal the nature and the character of God. The other purpose is to reveal that man is a sinner and needs a savior. This is why Paul wrote,

    "But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which after words should be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith is come, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER THE SCHOOLMASTER" Galatians 3:23-25.

    To continue to live as a Jew under the law, trying to do or keep the law is to be under a curse, Galatians 3:10. Living by laws, rules and religion, is proof that you are not indwelt with the Holy Spirit and are under judgment and condemnation. Those that live by Spirit do not need laws, rules or religion. To live by Spirit is to live according to the Gospel. In the Gospel we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. God sees us as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. If God sees us as perfect and complete in Jesus Christ, then what good is laws, rules and religion?

  2. #2
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    15,566
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 658 Times in 610 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    122739
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    Many believe that there is a conflict between what Jesus taught and what Paul taught concerning the law. There is no conflict.

    WHAT IS THE LAW?

    The law is the nature and character of God. It was given to Israel at Mount Siani as a keeper until Christ should arrive. After the arrival of Christ the Jews were no longer required to live according to the law, this is why the law was abolished, Ephesians 2:15. They were called to live by the Holy Spirit of Christ and by faith, This is why Paul wrote, "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17.

    The law was abolished by the death of Christ.

    "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us and took it out of the way NAILING IT TO HIS CROSS" Colossians 2:14

    The law was contrary to us because no one could do it or keep it. It is a human impossibility.

    While Jesus was dying on the cross God tore the veil that covered the "Holy of Holies" from the top to the bottom, Matthew 27:51. This signified the end of the Old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion. The New Covenant that God established with Israel, Hebrews 8:7,8. Is not the written law or the commandments. The law is now spiritual and is written on the hearts of believers by the Holy Spirit, Hebrews 8:10. The Christian now lives by the Spirit of Christ and not the letter of the law. The New Covenant is Christ himself, Hebrews 9:11-14.

    The purpose of the law is to reveal the nature and the character of God. The other purpose is to reveal that man is a sinner and needs a savior. This is why Paul wrote,

    "But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which after words should be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith is come, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER THE SCHOOLMASTER" Galatians 3:23-25.

    To continue to live as a Jew under the law, trying to do or keep the law is to be under a curse, Galatians 3:10. Living by laws, rules and religion, is proof that you are not indwelt with the Holy Spirit and are under judgment and condemnation. Those that live by Spirit do not need laws, rules or religion. To live by Spirit is to live according to the Gospel. In the Gospel we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. God sees us as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. If God sees us as perfect and complete in Jesus Christ, then what good is laws, rules and religion?
    Shalom.

    Thank you for your post Robert Pate. I would love to talk with you about it if you are willing to do so.

    Shalom.

    Jacob
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

  3. #3
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,101 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501711
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    The law was abolished by the death of Christ.

    Matthew 5:17
    17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    meshak (December 8th, 2017)

  5. #4
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    13,742
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,450 Posts

    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    354738
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Matthew 5:17
    17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

    I am aware of that scripture.

    Jesus purpose in coming into the world was to do for fallen man what fallen man cannot do for himself.

    His purpose was to fulfill the law for us. The law has been abolished for the saved only. The lost will be judged by it, but not the saved, Romans 8:1.

  6. #5
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    13,742
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,450 Posts

    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    354738
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Shalom.

    Thank you for your post Robert Pate. I would love to talk with you about it if you are willing to do so.

    Shalom.

    Jacob
    I have to leave for now, will return later.

  7. #6
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    15,566
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 658 Times in 610 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    122739
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    I have to leave for now, will return later.
    Okay.

    I observe the Sabbath, so before sundown or candle-lighting time makes sense.

    Shalom.

    Jacob
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

  8. #7
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    13,742
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,450 Posts

    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    354738
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Okay.

    I observe the Sabbath, so before sundown or candle-lighting time makes sense.

    Shalom.

    Jacob

    You don't have to observe the Sabbath Jacob. It appears to me that you cannot turn loose of your Jewish religion and live by faith in Christ.

  9. #8
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    15,566
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 658 Times in 610 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    122739
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    You don't have to observe the Sabbath Jacob. It appears to me that you cannot turn loose of your Jewish religion and live by faith in Christ.
    Jesus instructed that we keep and teach the commandments.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

  10. #9
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    13,742
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,450 Posts

    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    354738
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Jesus instructed that we keep and teach the commandments.
    If you were honest with yourself you would know that it is impossible to keep the commandments. Jesus is trying to show you that you fall short of the glory of God, Romans 3:23.

  11. #10
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    15,566
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 658 Times in 610 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    122739
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    If you were honest with yourself you would know that it is impossible to keep the commandments. Jesus is trying to show you that you fall short of the glory of God, Romans 3:23.
    I have sinned, but this is not an excuse for sin or for not being obedient to God by obeying His commands His commandments.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob For Your Post:

    marhig (December 23rd, 2017),meshak (December 8th, 2017)

  13. #11
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    13,742
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,450 Posts

    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    354738
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I have sinned, but this is not an excuse for sin or for not being obedient to God by obeying His commands His commandments.
    Living by law and commandments shows that you are still under the law. You might as well be a Pharisee.

  14. #12
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    15,566
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 658 Times in 610 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    122739
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    Living by law and commandments shows that you are still under the law. You might as well be a Pharisee.
    Your righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisee.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

  15. #13
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    13,742
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,450 Posts

    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    354738
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Your righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisee.
    That should enlighten you to the fact that you are a sinner. The Pharisees were professional religionist. They tithed down to the mint in their gardens, Mathew 23:23.

  16. #14
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    15,566
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 658 Times in 610 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    122739
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    That should enlighten you to the fact that you are a sinner. The Pharisees were professional religionist. They tithed down to the mint in their gardens, Mathew 23:23.
    I have been a sinner because I sinned. But I am not called in Jesus Christ to be a sinner.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

  17. #15
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    13,742
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,450 Posts

    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    354738
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I have been a sinner because I sinned. But I am not called in Jesus Christ to be a sinner.

    You need to accept the fact that you cannot keep the law. Stop trying to be Jewish and be a Christian. "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17 and not by rules, laws and religion.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us