User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Pope Wants To Change Lord's Prayer

  1. #1
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    28,778
    Thanks
    13,744
    Thanked 14,717 Times in 11,666 Posts

    Blog Entries
    27
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147808

    Pope Wants To Change Lord's Prayer

    1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV -


    Colossians 1:13-14 KJV - Colossians 1:15-16 KJV - Colossians 1:17-18 KJV -

    Colossians 1:19-20 KJV - Colossians 1:21-22 KJV - Colossians 1:23 KJV -

    Colossians 1:25-26 KJV 27, 28, 29 - Ephesians 1:7 KJV - Ephesians 1:12-13, 14 -



  2. #2
    Rookie Tigger 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    550
    Nevertheless the NT text literally says 'do not lead us...' or 'do not bring us....' How one interprets this depends on ancient idioms and usage. It may be that Matthew's understanding of this phrase was similar to the Pope's.

    But the Greek, nevertheless, says 'lead' or 'bring.'
    Last edited by Tigger 2; December 7th, 2017 at 10:00 PM.

  3. #3
    Over 1000 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,012
    Thanks
    786
    Thanked 266 Times in 218 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    108594
    What is your opinion on this, Patrick?


    Sent from my iPhone using TOL

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to jsanford108 For Your Post:

    patrick jane (December 8th, 2017)

  5. #4
    Over 4000 post club daqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olam Haba
    Posts
    4,429
    Thanks
    899
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 946 Posts

    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    219850
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    Yeah, he is right imo, and I don't care what anyone else says or wants to believe just because scholarship says it is so: the Father does not lead us into temptation. It says, "Let us not be led into temptation". He would not be correcting the scripture but rather he would be correcting his own mother church's former translators.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to daqq For Your Post:

    User Name (December 9th, 2017)

  7. #5
    TOL Legend Angel4Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    Posts
    17,149
    Thanks
    26,802
    Thanked 18,457 Times in 11,626 Posts

    Blog Entries
    52
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147727
    The Pope wants to ignore that it is God who leads us to crossroads, where we make a choice to test us and ultimately for His (Gods) Glory.

    “A man’s steps are from the Lord” (Proverbs 20:24).

    There is not a moment of your life that is not a moment of temptation where unbelief and disobedience is not a possibility.

    So basically the Pope is ignoring that what we are praying for in the Lords prayer, is for God to order our steps toward Him, instead of toward what we would choose in the world.

    "Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson
    Proverbs 3:5-8

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel4Truth For Your Post:

    Ktoyou (December 8th, 2017),patrick jane (December 7th, 2017)

  9. #6
    Over 4000 post club daqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olam Haba
    Posts
    4,429
    Thanks
    899
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 946 Posts

    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    219850
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel4Truth View Post
    The Pope wants to ignore that it is God who leads us to crossroads, where we make a choice to test us and ultimately for His (Gods) Glory.

    “A man’s steps are from the Lord” (Proverbs 20:24).

    There is not a moment of your life that is not a moment of temptation where unbelief and disobedience is not a possibility.

    So basically the Pope is ignoring that what we are praying for in the Lords prayer, is for God to order our steps toward Him, instead of toward what we would choose in the world.
    This is where study in the original languages would give depth and clarity. Neither the Hebrew nor the Greek texts of Proverbs 20:24 say what your quote suggests. A "gaber" and a mortal, "adam", are obviously not the same in the eyes of the author of that proverb. Too bad 99% of Christiandom neither knows these things nor comprehends or fathoms the depth of the impact of such teachings on the New Testament. This passage tells you the difference between an aner-andri and an anthropon, (a gaber and an adam respectively).

    "From the Lord are the goings/steps of a gaber: how then can an adam understand His way?"

    In the Septuagint Greek we read this:

    Proverbs 20:24 LXX
    24 παρα κυριου ευθυνεται τα διαβηματα ανδρι θνητος δε πως αν νοησαι τας οδους αυτου


    "andri" (ανδρι) = "gaber" (from the Hebrew text)
    "thnetos" (θνητος) = "adam" (from the Hebrew text)
    "thnetos" = "mortal" (liable to die)

    For example:

    The 'ish, (certain one), Gabriel, (the angel), is a gaber or geber, (mighty one).

  10. #7
    Over 6000 post club genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    6,971
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 551 Times in 413 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    461293
    When God leads us into temptation, it is to test our faith, and that is a good thing.

    James 1:2-3,12
    2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
    3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

    12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    patrick jane (December 9th, 2017)

  12. #8
    Silver Member SaulToPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    18,443
    Thanks
    3,093
    Thanked 19,565 Times in 11,376 Posts

    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147799
    Matthew
    6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.


    Revelation
    3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.


    Tribulation context.
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    They can't compete with a real writer and grammar scholar
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    You're too literal to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    The New Covenant preceded the Old Covenant.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaulToPaul For Your Post:

    Ktoyou (December 8th, 2017),patrick jane (December 8th, 2017)

  14. #9
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    28,778
    Thanks
    13,744
    Thanked 14,717 Times in 11,666 Posts

    Blog Entries
    27
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147808
    Quote Originally Posted by jsanford108 View Post
    What is your opinion on this, Patrick?


    Sent from my iPhone using TOL
    I say leave the Bible alone.
    1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV -


    Colossians 1:13-14 KJV - Colossians 1:15-16 KJV - Colossians 1:17-18 KJV -

    Colossians 1:19-20 KJV - Colossians 1:21-22 KJV - Colossians 1:23 KJV -

    Colossians 1:25-26 KJV 27, 28, 29 - Ephesians 1:7 KJV - Ephesians 1:12-13, 14 -



  15. #10
    Over 1500 post club User Name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,784
    Thanks
    302
    Thanked 277 Times in 197 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151081
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel4Truth View Post
    The Pope wants to ignore that it is God who leads us to crossroads, where we make a choice to test us and ultimately for His (Gods) Glory.

    “A man’s steps are from the Lord” (Proverbs 20:24).

    There is not a moment of your life that is not a moment of temptation where unbelief and disobedience is not a possibility.

    So basically the Pope is ignoring that what we are praying for in the Lords prayer, is for God to order our steps toward Him, instead of toward what we would choose in the world.
    James 1:13 KJV
    Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to User Name For Your Post:

    daqq (December 9th, 2017),jsanford108 (December 9th, 2017)

  17. #11
    Over 5000 post club Nihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The North & the West
    Posts
    5,024
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 963 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    251702
    The question is, what's he going to do.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

    Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

    Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

  18. #12
    Over 1000 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,012
    Thanks
    786
    Thanked 266 Times in 218 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    108594
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    I say leave the Bible alone.
    I was discussing this topic with a fellow educated Catholic, the night that I read this post. I stated that the only negative reaction from Protestants would be that "the pope is changing the Bible." And I am quite relieved that it is you who are the one to make this point.

    You are rational, reasonable, and logical. So, is the Pope talking about changing the Bible, or about finding a better translation of a prayer to better reflect the attributes of God and man's nature?

    If you read the Pope's reasoning, it makes sense. How does one logically read the phrase "lead us not into temptation?" The normal interpretation, based solely on verb use, is that we are being lead into temptation by a force outside of us. Thus, "God is leading us to temptation." But, Christianity just kind of ignores this syntax, due to the knowledge that God would not lead us to sin.

    The real issue (or negative reaction) is that people don't like change. The prayer has been taught the same way, rendered with the same vocabulary, for centuries. So, is the argument of "leave the bible alone" (which, no one is talking about altering the Bible, but a prayer based on one found in the Bible) not more akin to an argument against changing tradition? It is not an argument against the reasons given. It is not an argument that the traditional interpretation is correct. It is an argument directed at a straw man. The Pope never said that we need to revise the Scripture; only the prayer based on one found in Scripture.


    Sent from my iPhone using TOL

  19. #13
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    28,778
    Thanks
    13,744
    Thanked 14,717 Times in 11,666 Posts

    Blog Entries
    27
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147808
    Quote Originally Posted by jsanford108 View Post
    I was discussing this topic with a fellow educated Catholic, the night that I read this post. I stated that the only negative reaction from Protestants would be that "the pope is changing the Bible." And I am quite relieved that it is you who are the one to make this point.

    You are rational, reasonable, and logical. So, is the Pope talking about changing the Bible, or about finding a better translation of a prayer to better reflect the attributes of God and man's nature?

    If you read the Pope's reasoning, it makes sense. How does one logically read the phrase "lead us not into temptation?" The normal interpretation, based solely on verb use, is that we are being lead into temptation by a force outside of us. Thus, "God is leading us to temptation." But, Christianity just kind of ignores this syntax, due to the knowledge that God would not lead us to sin.

    The real issue (or negative reaction) is that people don't like change. The prayer has been taught the same way, rendered with the same vocabulary, for centuries. So, is the argument of "leave the bible alone" (which, no one is talking about altering the Bible, but a prayer based on one found in the Bible) not more akin to an argument against changing tradition? It is not an argument against the reasons given. It is not an argument that the traditional interpretation is correct. It is an argument directed at a straw man. The Pope never said that we need to revise the Scripture; only the prayer based on one found in Scripture.


    Sent from my iPhone using TOL
    Yes, I too think the Pope's intention is to make the prayer more understandable to all. As a Catholic kid, I remember thinking about that wording. Praying to God and asking Him not to lead us into temptation seemed to suggest God could "lead us into temptation." I don't know when I decided in my mind that it's not God who leads me down that road but I was probably still a kid.

    I just don't agree with "changing" the words or a word of the Bible. I only read in English and I don't study Greek or Hebrew etc., so I believe that Jesus actually said the words I read. Sure, it could say "and let us not fall into temptation" and that might sound better to the unbeliever and the new believer. But then where does it stop? Do we change a word here and there to "help" the Bible to be more "likely" to be believed?

    At the same time, men have translated and organized the Bible that we have today so for me personally, it wouldn't change the meaning of the prayer if it was changed. Wouldn't that have to go through a council of some kind to be officially changed? My final answer is still - Don't change the Bible because I believe the Bible we have is as God intended.
    1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV -


    Colossians 1:13-14 KJV - Colossians 1:15-16 KJV - Colossians 1:17-18 KJV -

    Colossians 1:19-20 KJV - Colossians 1:21-22 KJV - Colossians 1:23 KJV -

    Colossians 1:25-26 KJV 27, 28, 29 - Ephesians 1:7 KJV - Ephesians 1:12-13, 14 -



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us