Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Christ's Commandments

-
    1Cor 10:11-12 . .These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come. So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!

Their substandard walk with God didn't bring about the return of Yhvh's people to Egypt; no, "once saved always saved" applied to them as well as to us. However, their conduct did cause them to "fall" that is: fall out of favor with God.

That's a risk even for born-again Christians whose destiny in heaven is a sure thing; iron clad and set in concrete. The good shepherd's sheep will never again be in danger of eternal suffering; but they are always in danger of losing out on the benefits of providence due to conduct unbecoming.

1Cor 10:14 . .Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry.

There's that word "flee" again; which in many of its applications in the New Testament means to run for your life. So you can see that idolatry can have very serious consequences.

There's more to idolatry than just bowing and/or praying to sculpture and art. It's possible to be an idolater without even being especially religious.

"Don't be greedy for the good things of this life; for that is idolatry." (Col 3:5)

Greed then, is one of the characteristics of an idolater. In other words: idolatry is a personality issue rather than only a religious issue. Even atheists qualify as idolaters if they have a greedy personality; e.g. Wall Street's investment bankers and commodities traders. Their "golden calf" is profit.

It's okay to want the good things in life: after all; God has given us richly all things to enjoy (1Tim 6:17). It's the insatiable desire for good things that makes people idolaters; in other words avarice; which is never content; no, avarice always wants more, more, more, more, and then some. Nowhere is that more rampant than corporate greed which will walk over the dead bodies of its employees if that's what it takes for a better quarterly report.

I'm not exaggerating. Made-in-China goods merchant WALMART used to take out life insurance policies on its employees— not for the families; but for itself. In other words; it named itself the beneficiary on those employee life insurance policies so that when one died, they recovered some of the wages and benefits they had to pay the employee while they were alive and working for them.

The policies are called COLI (corporate-owned life insurance) policies. But they're better known in the insurance industry as "dead peasant" and/or "dead janitor" policies. WALMART isn't the only big business doing this sort of thing. An attorney for the Hartford Life Insurance Co. estimates that one-fourth of the Fortune 500 companies have them, which cover the lives of between 5 million and 6 million workers. COLI policies seem to me a ghoulish way to make a buck; but then it should surprise no one that idolaters have no sensibilities to speak of seeing as how they revere not God, but rather the power, the prestige, and the comforts of wealth.

/

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    1Cor 10:24 . . Nobody should seek only his own good, but also the good of others.

That's not saying it's wrong to seek your own good; just wrong to seek it at the expense of another's good; viz: selfish ambition might be an acceptable modus operandi in professional sports and big business; but it's totally unacceptable in one's association with fellow believers. And there is nothing new in that; I mean after all; it's just another way of expressing the so-called golden rule; which states: "All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matt 7:12)

It's interesting to note that if people weren't so hard-hearted; there would be no need for laws that force people to do right by their fellow man.

I once took a city slicker friend out shooting in the Oregon woods with a cowboy style six-gun. In typical wrangler fashion he yelled yahoo and fired the six-gun up into the air before I could stop him. It then became necessary for me to remind my friend that bullets eventually come down and can quite possibly hit someone off in the distance; maybe even a child.

Drive-by shooters know this, but they're typically psychopathic so it's to be expected they don't care where their bullets go. However, I should hope no Christian reading this is psychopathic; but will think about their words and actions before those words and actions impact an innocent person's life in a way that's not easily repaired.

/

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    1Cor 10:25-26 . . Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for the earth is The Lord's, and everything in it.

A percentage of the meat sold by vendors in Corinth was either blessed by, or dedicated to, pagan deities. Paul instructed his friends to avoid asking which was which since it doesn't matter to the Bible's God if the foods Christians ingest are religiously tainted without their knowledge: and since it's The Lord's earth, then if He says it's okay; then it's okay.

1Cor 10:27 . . If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience.

In other words, this is one of those Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell situations.

1Cor 10:27-29 . . But if anyone says to you "This has been offered in sacrifice" then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake-- the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours.

If you go ahead and dine in someone's home where you know in advance the food is either dedicated to, or blessed by, a pagan deity, or that when they say grace around the table it will be to a god other than your own, or to a sacred personage that you do not accept; then your host is quite possibly going to come to the conclusion that his religion is just as valid as yours if you don't decline.

This is not saying that Catholics and Protestants can't eat together and/or pray together around the table; nor is it saying that Christians and Jews can't eat together and pray together around the table: not when Catholics, Protestants, and Jews are all praying to the same God: just from a different perspective.

I will say this though: if you are a Catholic host, and your guests are either Protestants or Jews; then for God's sake DO NOT pray around the table to Jesus' mom and/or to one of Catholicism's many patron saints. That is extremely offensive to Protestants and Jews, and totally unnecessary anyway when you can just as easily say grace to the one celestial being common to you all.

/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,477 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WeberHome View Post

John 14:21 . .Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.

God's commands as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are covenanted commands, i.e. contractual. Christ's followers are not contracted with God to comply with those particular commands; and lucky them because Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69 specify a large number of curses for non compliance.

Deut 27:26 . . Cursed is the man who does not uphold the words of this law by carrying them out.

Note the grammatical tense of that curse; it's present tense rather than future, indicating that the very moment a Jew breaks one of the covenanted commands he racks up a curse upon himself-- no delay and no waiting period; for example:

Lev 19:11 . . You shall not deal falsely, nor lie to one another.

Every time a Jew is dishonest, he accrues a curse; for each offense. Lets say a Jew is dishonest ten times in a week. Well according to the covenant, his ten counts of dishonesty accrue ten curses; and those curses are contractual, i.e. God is obligated by the covenant to fulfil them lest He himself fall into breach of contract. Obviously then, serial dishonesty is pretty serious for people contracted with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

Ergo: I do not recommend converting to Judaism lest one find themselves under a sword of Damocles hanging by a slender thread easily broken by just one lie.

Do you think that Jesus taught a new covenant, or the old law?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You can take a lot of the guess work out of this by simply letting the following be your guide.

1Thess 4:1-2 . .We beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by The Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more. For ye know what commandments we gave you by The Lord Jesus.

"commandments we gave you by The Lord Jesus" begin at Acts 15:19-20. From thence you'll encounter upwards of five hundred by the time you get to the end of Revelation; which is considerably less than a thousand and fifty.

...but Jesus didn't teach what you said in the OP.

Jesus taught that all are condemned and bound to disobedience and are under a curse until they come to the Father by Jesus.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1Tim 6:8 isn't among the commands Christ gave in the Gospels; it's in the epistles.

Paul taught as Jesus instructed.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When Paul said "we" in 1Thess 4:1-2, I'm pretty sure he was speaking not only of himself, but also the other guys who wrote letters to the various churches, e.g. John, Peter, James, and Jude, plus the mysterious author of the letter to Hebrews.

Matt 5:44 is an excerpt from the so-called Sermon On The Mount. Jesus didn't preach the sermon to Christians, rather, to Jews whose religion consists of the covenant that their ancestors agreed upon with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy; plus the Prophets.

There's lots of information useful to Christians in Matthew's gospel, but unfortunately it practically takes the skills and abilities of a Th.D. to figure out which parts are for Christians and which are for Jews; while the epistles are straightforward for Christians; no confusion there, except maybe in the letter to Hebrews. That's a tough one; which is all the more reason why I said in post #6 "You can take a lot of the guess work out of this by simply letting the following be your guide, yada, yada, yada."

No, it is easy to know what Jesus wants all to do.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Acts 15:20a . . Abstain from food tainted by idols,

Here's the text of a common Christian prayer.

"Bless us, Oh Lord, and these thy gifts which we are about to receive from thy bounty through Christ, Our Lord. Amen."

That prayer credits the providence of God and His son for the nourishment on the table. Well; in the old Roman world, they sometimes credited the providence of a pagan god for their nourishment. According to 1Cor 10:25-31; this is one of those don't ask situations.

Acts 15:20b . . Abstain from promiscuity

Promiscuity typically refers to things like adultery, incest, shacking up, one night stands, sleeping around, etc.

Acts 15:20c . . Abstain from the meat of strangled animals.

The meat of a strangled animal is different than that of a butchered animal. Though a strangled animal may be brain dead, it's flesh will be viable for a bit because the blood in its veins still has usable oxygen in it. This is why the new rules for CPR recommend concentrating on chest compressions first while delaying blowing air into somebody's lungs till a little later.

In essence what we're talking about here is eating living flesh versus ordinary raw flesh. The way I see it; Christians may eat all the raw, uncooked meat they want just so long as they are absolutely certain the meat is dead beyond recovery.

Acts 15:20d . . Abstain from blood

There are cultures that poke holes in cows' necks in order to drink blood straight out of the animal utilizing its own blood pressure like a tap to fill their cups. Other cultures cut open the thorax of animals freshly taken in hunting in order to take blood-soaked bites of the animal's heart. Those examples are probably about as close to vampirism as one can get without actually joining Edward Cullen's family and undergoing the conversion process.

There are all kinds of perversions most people have not heard of before.

A person should recognize what is perverted and what is not.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Rom 6:11 . . Count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

"dead to sin" in this case doesn't mean Christ's sheep don't sin

We are not supposed to sin.

(cf. 1John 1:8-10).
    No, it means that if you did not admit you were a sinner, then you did not confess and repent of your sins, and if you did not do those things, then you are not yet saved.

It means that sin no longer has the power to create an impassible barrier between them and God like it did before. No; those days are over.
    No way, don't be deceived.

Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 25 Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism.

Romans 2:5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

James 1:16 Don't be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters.

James 1:22
    Be doers of the word, and not hearers only. Otherwise, you are deceiving yourselves.

Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

1 Corinthians 6:9
    Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men

Heb 13:5 . . God has said: Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.
    Jesus says that to those who obey him.
    We are to be overcomers in Christ, not failures to sin in Christ.

God promised Jacob pretty much the very same thing.

Gen 28:15 . . I am with you, and will watch over you, wherever you go; and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.

Rom 6:12 . . Do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to Him as instruments of righteousness.

Cain was given similar instructions.

"If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it." (Gen 4:7)
    See that, we have to master it.

We have to work out our salvation with trembling and fear; we have to train ourselves.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    1Cor 10:31 . . So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

One of the meanings of the Greek word for glory is "honor" which in this case can be defined as doing something out of respect for someone admired.

1Cor 10:32-33 . . Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

One of the quickest ways to alienate folk is to be inflexible and intolerant; stubbornly refusing to consider other people's feelings: always thinking about what's good for only you rather than what might be better for everybody. In other words; hard-headed refusal to give in, to yield; to be accommodating at all, even in little things.

1Cor 11:1 . . Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

In the Catholic religion, a "saint" is a role model for others. Well, 1Cor 11:1 lists an exceptional model for everyone regardless of their age, race, gender, and/or religious affiliation.

Christ is very famous 'round the world for exemplifying the virtues of kindness, friendship, and generosity.

/
    Last edited by WeberHome; July 28th, 2018 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    1Cor 11:3 . . But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

It never seems to fail that somebody will actually attempt to refute Paul's statement by quoting another of his own statements.

"You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (Gal 3:26-28)

(chuckle) Paul pitted against Paul; the clash of the titans, only in this event, both titans are one and the same titan. Yes, both genders are one in Christ; but then Jesus and God are one also, yet there is a hierarchy in the Divinity because "the head of Christ is God"

1Cor 11:4-5a . . Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered disrespects his head. And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered disrespects her head

That's a little tricky seeing as how the word "head" can refer to a skull and/or a superior; so to clarify this a bit, I'm going to revise some of the above a little.

"Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered disrespects Christ. And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered disrespects men."

Christian women aren't required to cover their hair all the time; only whenever they pray and/or prophesy; especially in the presence of men.

No doubt this chafes a certain number of women whose heart's ambition is to assert their independence and demand equality. Well, if they don't want to cover their hair when praying and/or prophesying out of respect for men, then they should at least woman-up and do it out of respect for Christ's feelings about it.

"If you love me, you will comply with what I command." (John 14:15)

"Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me." (John 14:21)

"If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching . . He who does not love me will not obey my teaching." (John 14:23-24)

"You are my friends if you do what I command you." (John 15:14)

NOTE: According to 1Cor 14:37 and 1Thess 4:1-2, the apostles' doctrine is Christ's doctrine; it's a domino effect all the way to the top.

"Whoever listens to you; listens to me. Whoever rejects you; rejects me. And whoever rejects me; rejects the one who sent me." (Luke 10:16)

/

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    1Cor 11:5b-6a . . it is just as though her head were shorn. If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off;

In other words: if Christian women want to be treated equal to Christian men, then they should go all out to imitate Christian men by first of all getting themselves a man's haircut, and leave their hair short all the time like a masculine lesbian, viz; a dyke.

1Cor 11:6b . . If it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head.

Okay then: if Christian women would be somewhat embarrassed to show up in church looking like a man and/or LGBT, then then they have only one other option; and that's to show up in church looking like women. But in order to retain their femininity whenever they pray and/or prophesy; they are simply going to have to cover their hair with something or heaven will have no choice but to assume the worst about them.

/

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    1Cor 11:7-10 . . A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a token of authority on her head.

The koiné Greek word translated "angels" is aggelos (ang'-el-os) which is a nondescript word that just simply indicates a messenger. In other words; aggelos doesn't always indicate a celestial being but can just as easily indicate a human being, for example Matt 11:10, Luke 7:24, Luke 9:52, and Jas 2:25.

The identity of the "angels" in 1Cor 11:10 is probably best understood as not the holy angels of Heaven, but rather the angels of Rev 2:1-3:22; which aren't spirit beings, but rather, human beings; in other words: church supervisors; viz: the pastors. In other words: a woman praying and/or prophesying with her hair exposed is an arrogant way of telling the pastor that he's no better than she is; which of course displays an insolent attitude towards the hierarchy that humanity's maker established in the very beginning.

Though the wording of Gen 1:26-28 suggests that women were created in the image of God; they actually weren't; no, according to Paul, they were created in Adam's image. Where Adam was created directly from dust in the image and glory of God; Eve wasn't, no she was constructed not from dust, but from the organic tissues of an already existing man (Gen 2:21-13). So then, since Eve was, organically, Adam's first child, then all women, including The Lord's mom, are subordinate to men due to the principle of primogeniture.

So then, contrary to feminist humanism's rabid protests, women will never be equal to men in the natural order of things. No, they will always be daddy's little girl. Ergo: women aren't from Venus after all; no, they're actually the progeny of Mars.

(Television talk show host Kelly Ripa once made the remark that guys should always pay the restaurant tab for their dates because women are the ones who have the babies. Well, my question is, who gave birth to Eve? Since women owe their existence to Adam, then maybe they should be the ones paying the tab.)

Anyway, what this boils down to is that hair coverings are not costumes or uniforms; but rather: an indication that the covered Christian woman accepts that she owes her existence to a man, and that women were not created to be served by men, nor were they created equal to men, nor were they directly created in the image of God as men were; but they were created from a man, after the man, in the image of a man, and for the express purpose of supporting a man. (Gen 2:18-23, Gen 3:16)

When a Christian woman covers her hair with something while praying and/or prophesying, she's declaring her subordination not just to men, but even more importantly to Christ. This is probably a mite difficult for American women since their culture encourages them to compete with men, to stand up to men, and assert not only their equality with men; but also their independence. Subordination to men really chafes some women, even those piously wearing the Christian label; and really puts their professed devotion to Christ to the acid test. American Christianettes who accept their place in the creator's scheme of things are pretty rare.

POSIT: You've taken those passages out of their appropriate historical context. In no way are Christian women of today required to cover their hair in church; nor are Christian women subordinate to Christian men in any way. That was a rule given to a particular people in a particular place in a particular time. And what about Paul's comment: "But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God" (1Cor 11:16)

RESPONSE: The "custom" he's talking about was the practice of heathen women praying and/or prophesying with their hair exposed in some of the Roman world's pagan religions. And in point of fact, some of those heathen women were actually cult prostitutes.

Basically what Paul is saying is that if the pastors of the Christian churches in Corinth were to allow their Christian women to pray and/or prophecy in church with their hair exposed, everybody would have to assume they were immoral. And not only that, but none of the rest of the Christian churches in the Roman empire were allowing their women to pray and/or prophecy with exposed hair, and none of the synagogues were allowing their women to do it either.

So; had the Christian churches at Corinth allowed their women to pray and/or prophecy with their hair exposed; they would have not only been the exceptions; but also the odd balls and people would quite naturally begin to wonder what was the matter with supposed followers of Christ acting like that.

"Judge in yourselves: is it proper that a woman pray unto God uncovered?" (1Cor 11:13)

The answer of course is NO; it isn't proper-- it's insolent, it's inappropriate, it's disrespectful; and it's conduct unbecoming for women professing to be followers of Christ and worshippers of mankind's creator. Christian women ought not to be telling the world they're equal to men, or that they're cult prostitutes; no; they ought to be telling the world that because of Christ; they're different; and their hair coverings-- whether a simple scarf or a stylish hijab --have a pretty amazing story of their own to tell that goes all the way back to the opening chapters of Genesis.

/

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    1Cor 11:27-30 . .Whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of The Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of The Lord. A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of The Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.

The koiné Greek word for "unworthy" is anaxios (an-ax-ee'-oce) which means: irreverently; which Webster's defines as: lacking proper respect or seriousness. In other words "sacrilege" which is gross irreverence toward a hallowed person, place, or thing.

"sinning against the body and blood of The Lord" is very similar language to 1Cor 6:18, which states: The immoral man sins against his own body. There, as here, we're not talking about suicide and/or homicide; were talking about degradation; which Webster's defines as the act of treating someone or something poorly and without respect.

People sin during The Lord's supper when they fail to take it seriously that the elements represent his body-- not his glorified body; but the one that was crucified; viz; his disfigured, bloodied body.

"From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land." (Matt 27:45)

What do you suppose went on during those three hours of thick darkness around the cross? Well; I'll tell you what went on because I'm not authorized to keep it a secret. The things that the Romans did to Christ were merely a warm up for the main event. When the darkness came; that's when God stepped into the ring; and the gloves came off. When the darkness lifted, people saw a Jesus so beaten and bloodied beyond recognition that they could scarcely tell he was the same man.

"There were many who were appalled at him-- his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man, and his form marred beyond human likeness." (Isa 52:14)

"But The Lord was pleased to crush him, putting him to grief" (Isa 53:10)

I have to wonder how ever a father could do something like that to his own son; especially do that for a world that wouldn't even appreciate that the injuries God inflicted upon His own son were for their benefit.

"A man ought to examine himself" is an imperative to make double sure that one's heart is in the right place when consuming the elements. Some people gulp them down as if they were nothing more than a snack of hot wings and cold beer during a Super Bowl game instead of a sacred reminder of what God's son endured to ransom their souls from a second death in the lake of brimstone depicted at Rev 20:11-15. Those people have to expect that a very insulted father is going to come down on them for that-- maybe not with sickness, maybe not with death, and maybe not right away; but eventually with something; and really, who can blame Him?

NOTE: Observance of the so-called Lord's Supper isn't a mandatory requirement; so if you are a bit nervous about going about it in the wrong way, then don't take chances; play it safe and refrain.

/

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    1Cor 11:33-34 . . My brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for each other. If anyone is hungry, he should eat at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment.

The command doesn't frown upon things like church banquets, men's' breakfasts, ladies' luncheons, and/or potlucks per se. What it's criticizing is a lack of congregational unity. Here's comments leading up to that verse.

"Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse. For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be recognized among you.

. . .Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not to eat The Lord's Supper. For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others; and one is hungry and another is drunk. What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you." (1Cor 11:17-22)

Their lack of love and unity during church functions was nothing short of hypocrisy seeing as how The Lord's supper speaks of sacrifice rather than selfishness, elitism, and hoarding. In other words; seeing as how Christians all share in Christ's blood equally, then everyone should be given equal treatment at church regardless of age, gender, skin color, intelligence, income level, nationality, what side of the tracks they live on, or social status. None of Christ's body parts are untouchable; nor are any of them expendable. God forbid that there should be some sort of caste system in a gathering of people for whom Christ suffered and died equally for each one. That just wouldn't be right: it would be an insult to the principles underlying The Lord's supper.

"Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying: Drink from it, all of you." (Matt 26:27)

If Christians are all drinking from the same cup, then they should all be, at the very least, eating the same food and not be overly concerned about where they sit and/or who they sit next to and/or who they're seen with. And they should also make double sure that everyone gets enough to eat and that no one gets left out and nobody gets more than his fair share. And they should all sit down together at the same time. I just hate it when people don't wait for each other. Some get back to the table and start in gulping, slurping, clattering, and clanking while others from their table are still in line.

And they should also take into consideration the possibility that a number of their congregation are in assistance programs like TANF and SNAP. In other words; don't just bring enough food from home for yourself; but, if you're able, bring enough for those among you who can't bring anything at all. And for God's sake, don't bring a side dish of gourmet food along just for yourself. Leave your special gourmet stuff at home. There's just no excuse for flaunting your "sophistication" around church thus giving everyone the impression that everyone else's tastes are below yours.

You know; why am I even saying these things? In point of fact, why even did Paul? I mean: shouldn't Christians be eo ipso sources of the milk of human kindness without somebody shaming them and lecturing them into being humane with their fellow believers and taking thought for their feelings? Why must so many Christians be practically strong-armed into being civil with one another?

/

Thread Information